Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Counter-Strike 2

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
https://richardlewis.substack.com/p/sources-yes-counter-strike-2-is-real

"Speaking under the condition of anonymity sources with a knowledge of the game’s development told us that indeed there was a new version of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive on its way and that had been worked on for some time. The new version is almost certainly set to be released under the working title Counter-Strike 2 and the tentative release date for the beta is in this month of March with April 1st at the outside.

The sources explained that the creation of the game had been something of a priority for Valve’s team, which includes members that have overseen development of previous iterations in the Counter-Strike franchise. This, they said, should explain why some issues with CS:GO have been largely unattended to for some time. “The big priority is getting this out and then polishing it, fixing any bugs and bringing it up to the level people expect from CS.”

"The sources explained that the game was “about ready to go” and had said that it had even already been tested by an unnamed group of professional players that were flown out in secret to Valve’s headquarters in Seattle."

April 1st at the outside, sounds like a cruel joke. However, Richard Lewis isn't someone who plays with his "integrity" and "credibility" as a journalist.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
This is actually true. They are calling it "Counter Strike 2" but its obviously an engine update for CSGO.

deuxhero

Arcane
I hope the legacy CSGO still works, since losing 1 to 1 benchmark comparisons would be bad for hardware reviews.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I hope the legacy CSGO still works, since losing 1 to 1 benchmark comparisons would be bad for hardware reviews.
I'm guessing they'll do what they did with DOTA when it was ported to Source 2 and keep both for a while until eventually cutting off the first.

deuxhero

Arcane
One way to do it within Steam's existing infrastructure would be to include that last non-Source 2 version as an option under Beta (possibly needing a simple code like "benchmarklegacy") and state the multiplayer won't work. Doesn't need much work by Valve themselves.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is actually true. They are calling it "Counter Strike 2" but its obviously an engine update for CSGO.
well, the "csgos2.exe" for sure is, but what about "cs2.exe", you think it's also CSGO?

I wonder if it's port of the good old CS 1.5/6 to a new engine or entirely new CS. I hope the former, since it would be a nice refresh to a game I spent plenty of time in internet cafes and on LAN, whereas a wholly new CS would mean bagzillion of weapon skins and other shit, one of many reasons to stay away from CSGO.

whereas a wholly new CS would mean bagzillion of weapon skins and other shit, one of many reasons to stay away from CSGO.
Unfortunately those skins are the only thing keeping the game growing and relevant. The gameplay hasn't suffered as a result, in fact has become so much better than the absolutely terrible release. Either way, the skins aren't "pretty" and "cool" enough to attract the biggest degenerates, those all flock to Valorant and Overwatch.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Meh...
Never been big on CS

Like most kids of my generation here, I loved CS lan parties - 1.6 was the online fps, because it was easy to download, took up little space, could be run on any computer post 2000 and there were truckloads of servers (even national ones)
However even back then, the gameplay was unattractive for me (it also didn't help the fact that I fucking sucked at it)

Then GO was released and 1.6 was gradually abandoned over the course of 1 year
I bought it as the game was cheap and most of my friends switched over it - as did literally every boy in country over 10 and with a pc
But I quickly found out I liked GO even less

The reasons being:
- alot of 1.6 maps were axed for not being suitable for e-sports;
- in the early years the net code and specially hitboxes were just terrible;
- there were much less customs servers, maps and modes and as the years went by those numbers kept shrinking, because Valve was not to fond of them;
- casual matches became increasingly harder to find, because the community are a bunch of autists that only want to play competive to masturbate over being Global Elite;
- speaking of community, that stupid fucking knife market and box roulette really soured me to the whole game;
- finally the dogmatic aderence to 1.6's gunplay and refusal to improve even little gameplay things, was the final nail in the coffin for me.

I uninstalled it back in high school, yet funnily enough I still sometimes get invited to matches by some of the boys despite always saying I don't like csgo...

People still play counter strike?
Are you really surprised?
It's constantly been top 10 most played games on steam for the last 10 years...

Last edited:
the community are a bunch of autists that only want to play competive to masturbate over being Global Elite
Global Elite hasn't meant anything in 7+ years, it's seen as a joke if someone tries flexing it because the true ladder grind is on FaceIT.

It's constantly been top 10 most played games on steam for the last 10 years...
Its had a resurgence since COVID ans recently even set 3 new player records in the last month beating out COVID times. The only game on steam with a higher peak in history is PUBG I'm pretty sure. And it's consistently the most played game daily in recent times.

Hope its not heavy, I want to be able to play it with a bro who wants to buy a laptop soon and I want us both to be able to run it.
Puta do caralho come to Brazil

Also, depends what laptop. I used to play with 30 frames back in the day and that was old CSGO (dropped to 20 or lower when theres smokes). Hell, might become better optimized and easier to play on shit tier machines with the port

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Is there any reason Source was abandoned even before GO's release?
I've only tried it a handful of times, but it felt very much like CSGO only with 2004 graphics...
Yet the community swears the game's skill ceiling is significantly lower than both 1.6 and GO

Is there any reason Source was abandoned even before GO's release?
I've only tried it a handful of times, but it felt very much like CSGO only with 2004 graphics...
Yet the community swears the game's skill ceiling is significantly lower than both 1.6 and GO
Well, the game never really took off competitively in the first place because CS still had a scene with $$ and so there wasn't really incentive to quit. Add on the changes that the community hated and you get Source AND the game being absolute shit at release. Of course, the game had an amazing casual scene (Bhopping before patches was fun, Here's a throwback) and a smaller competitive scene. Because of all of this, the scene was comprised of new players or casuals from CS and not many "veterans" and "pros" who already wrote the game off. The pro scene itself (from my memory) was decently big in NA, France, UK, Germany, etc. Still healthy scenes today (excluding NA) but not the monoliths you think of when mentioning Counterstrike (Sweden, CIS).

Either way, there were still tournmanets going on up until late winter 2012 (with big names in CS:GO, some still playing). CS:GO could've easily gone the same way, don't forget the terrible reaction it received by CS players because tbf the game WAS shit at launch. One of the biggest reasons it didn't was because of skins, and that's what saved CS:GO (MM helped too I'd imagine). Skins kept it going long enough, the prize pool was getting bigger, 1.6 tournaments eventually stopped too and everyone switched over, and the esports boomed and the money by the time 2016+ rolled around was insane compared to anything the top 1.6 players were getting.

That's my understanding of it, maybe someone with more knowledge can add on to it. Who knows, I'm pretty sure Richard Lewis (writer of the article I linked) lurks codex so maybe he can jump in considering he worked for a long time in CSS.

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
CSS was my favorite CS tbh, with one exception that granades didn't kill you (that is, they depleted most of HP, but not all), which was retarded. Other than that I liked it most. It also had some good mods.

ADL

Prophet

ulyJk8H.jpeg

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
with one exception that granades didn't kill you (that is, they depleted most of HP, but not all), which was retarded
That's probably because of "balancing", kinda like shotguns in GO
Because see, according to Valve and most of the community, getting 1 shoted by a shotgun at close range is unfair and unfun
But getting insta yeeted by a camping nigger with a AWP, for showing 1/20 of your PC's pixels through a gap for the duration of 0,5seconds... now that's balanced and fun!

ArchAngel

Arcane
with one exception that granades didn't kill you (that is, they depleted most of HP, but not all), which was retarded
That's probably because of "balancing", kinda like shotguns in GO
Because see, according to Valve and most of the community, getting 1 shoted by a shotgun at close range is unfair and unfun
But getting insta yeeted by a camping nigger with a AWP, for showing 1/20 of your PC's pixels through a gap for the duration of 0,5seconds... now that's balanced and fun!
If you have proper armor, shotguns should do little with one shot.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
But snipers should always be a super accurate, 1 hit kill, hitscan pieces of shit right?
Yes, that sure does make for such riveting gameplay...

ArchAngel

Arcane
But snipers should always be a super accurate, 1 hit kill, hitscan pieces of shit right?
Yes, that sure does make for such riveting gameplay...
Depends on the skill of the user. The big sniper should probably have longer aim time while the fast sniper should stay like it is now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom