Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Counter-Strike 2

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Source 2 added to pre-release branch (requires login to see)
https://steamdb.info/changelist/18065443/

steamdb.JPG

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Literally just a shiny new coat of paint...

Though, I hope Valve hasn't forgotten that one of the reasons for CS's success is the fact that even a toaster can run these games.

Also:

Lucumo

Educated
Like most kids of my generation here, I loved CS lan parties
Funny, how it was never the case for the LAN parties of my group. One guy was relatively new to gaming but we others generally played everything. My best friend and I mostly played RTS games before those died and FPS became more relevant. The interesting part is that one time our group met up with another group for a big LAN party and those guys were really into CS....:CZ. They even had a projector. But in the end, they actually weren't good at it at all. We traded even in DMs, despite playing CS in general for the first time (except for one guy). In the end, our group switched to UT2004 and Call of Duty 1 & 2. So the LAN was basically a failure since they only played a single game and weren't even good at it.
Still eventually got into watching competitive 1.6 on TV, although I preferred Brood War and Warcraft III over it...but it was definitely better than FIFA.

The pro scene itself (from my memory) was decently big in NA, France, UK, Germany, etc.
IIRC, it was the same size as 1.6 at one point but players and viewers preferred 1.6, so CSS faded relatively quickly from public view. 1.6 I watched until...2013(?) on Twitch. I remember hearing that Valve was taking steps to deal with 1.6, so that CS:GO could flourish.
Interestingly enough, around 2013 was the time competitive gaming/e-sports basically died for me. Blizzard had killed the professional Brood War scene two years prior to replace it with Starcraft Too (as we call it). DotA was being replaced by DotA 2, except for SEA and China still holding out somewhat strongly. 1.6 was being shoved aside for CS:GO. And Warcraft III also suffered from the Stracraft Too release. While the Brood War and Warcraft III scene experienced a revival due to Stacraft Too being shit and viewers and players preferring the other games, 1.6 and DotA stayed basically dead. So all the good, high skill ceiling games got replaced by inferior versions. The only genre to still have a decent frontrunner is simracing with iracing. Too bad their two pro scenes suffer from a limited amount of races and too many yellow flags for Nascar and qualifying being too important for Porsche Cup (since races are short).
Ah, almost forgot about fighting games. Those suffered too, with Virtua Fighter 5 and Street Fighter III losing relevance. Street Fighter IV I still enjoyed, despite the comback mechanic...at least until Ultra Street Fighter IV which was garbage. What came after is garbage too, same with the releases in other series. Super Smash Bros. Melee was a nice surprise with its revival and I had a lot of fun with it...but unfortunately the tournaments incorporated woke + Corona and I basically stopped following it. Brawl was a turd and what came after was less of a turd but still a turd.
Aaand almost forgot something else. PUBG I do watch but it can't be compared to traditional FPS. Unfortunately though, the kiddies with short attention spans don't like watching it, so the professional scene isn't that big (and has contracted).
There are also sometimes special events like the Tetris World Championship which are worth a watch.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
I have to wonder what exactly this is a prelude to. I know a Valve Renaissance of new game iterations running Source 2 is likely a pipe dream, but the only other project making use of Source 2 I'm aware of is S&box which currently part-billed as a Gmod sequel.

For those haven't read it.
n-DTz-FFGlrh-Hq0-Ui-Gl-Mfo-ai-NKN-Wmxvin-LOqcnr-GZdk.jpg

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Honestly what even was the point of Condition Zero?
Valve bought a studio that used to work on Quake ports and expansion packs, and told them to make a standalone good Counter Strike game.
They didn't do well, the game was cancelled, and the studio was dissolved. Gearbox (who was doing Half Life ports and expansions for Valve) was hired to reboot the project, and that's what CS:CZ is. A reboot of a failed game.
Modern Valve would just cancel it and not release anything. Old Valve would release it without much marketing, finished by an underling studio.

Now someone needs to buy Might and Magic off of Ubisoft and make Dark Messiah 2.
Is the Dark Messiah property really that important?
You could call the game anything you want, set it in any generic world, and just say "spiritual successor to Dark Messiah" in the marketing.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Screenshot 2023-03-22 235326.jpg

https://www.pcgamer.com/counter-str...-4461-B111-8421D2D6BF1B&utm_source=SmartBrief

Valve has announced Counter-Strike 2, the newest iteration of the greatest and most popular competitive FPS in history. The developer says "Counter-Strike 2 is an overhaul to every system, every piece of content, and every part of the C-S experience."

There are a series of videos accompanying the announcement, explaining how Counter-Strike 2 will change everything. There are currently three, embedded below, addressing smokes, moving beyond tick rates, and changes to maps.

As regards the idea of moving beyond tick rates, here's the official explanation.
"Sub-tick updates are the heart of Counter-Strike 2. Previously, the server only evaluated the world in discrete time intervals (called ticks). Thanks to Counter-Strike 2’s sub-tick update architecture, servers know the exact instant that motion starts, a shot is fired, or a ‘nade is thrown. As a result, regardless of tick rate, your moving and shooting will be equally responsive and your grenades will always land the same way."

The game is going to run a limited test, which you can read about here (opens in new tab), and is due to fully launch in the summer.
"Counter-Strike 2 is the largest technical leap forward in Counter-Strike’s history, ensuring new features and updates for years to come," said Valve. "All of the game’s new features will be revealed when it officially launches this summer, but the road to Counter-Strike 2 begins today as a Limited Test for select CS:GO players. During this testing period, we’ll be evaluating a subset of features to shake out any issues before the worldwide release."

Amazingly enough, Counter-Strike 2 is going to be a free upgrade to CS: GO. This was always going to be huge but keeping the free-to-play model guarantees it will prove massively popular at launch and for many years to come. Even more amazingly, everything carries over:

"Bring your entire CS:GO inventory with you to Counter-Strike 2. Not only will you keep every item you’ve collected over the years, but they’ll all benefit from Source 2 lighting and materials. In addition to supporting legacy models and finishes, all stock weapons have been upgraded with high-resolution models, and some weapon finishes take advantage of these new models."

The Counter-Strike 2 limited test is ongoing now (here's the FAQ (opens in new tab)), and we'll have impressions for you quicker than you say "flash long!" For now: It's real, it's (almost) here, and it's beautiful. Here comes the past, back as the future of the competitive FPS.

ADL

Prophet
Source 2 Hammer is so good. Third party maps are gonna get much, much better as a result.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Honestly what even was the point of Condition Zero?
Valve bought a studio that used to work on Quake ports and expansion packs, and told them to make a standalone good Counter Strike game.
They didn't do well, the game was cancelled, and the studio was dissolved. Gearbox (who was doing Half Life ports and expansions for Valve) was hired to reboot the project, and that's what CS:CZ is. A reboot of a failed game.
Wrong. The game went through Rogue, and then Gearbox, and then Ritual, before finally releasing with Turtle Rock's version (and Ritual's as ‘Deleted Scenes’). Git ur fax strait!!

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
What are the odds that some of the autists are going to be triggered by the changed tickrate?

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
What are the odds that some of the autists are going to be triggered by the changed tickrate?
64 tick on mm servers has probably been the most complained about aspect in CS:GO since the beginning and has never stopped. Nobody is unhappy about it unless it's just pure bait

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom