Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

CRPGAddict

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by 7hm, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Butter Arcane

Butter
    It should be immediately obvious that judging a game by the sum of its parts is foolish. You have to consider the gestalt experience, how all the individual parts mesh together. Fallout is certainly not comprised of perfect individual parts, and yet you'd be hard pressed to find a more perfect RPG experience.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Viata Arcane

Viata
    There is a whole series called Wizardry, mate.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Butter Arcane

Butter
    Wait, is this true?

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Gangrelrumbler Arcane Patron

Gangrelrumbler
    Oh look playing hundreds of shitty games didn't make him realize that GIMLET might be flawed, he only realized that when a classic title was treated unfairly. It's almost as it's little to learn from all these garbage knockoffs.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Grauken Agent of the NWO Patron

Grauken
    lol, now he's just trolling people

http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2020/08/game-374-buck-rogers-matrix-cubed-1992.html

Maher I genuinely dislike, CRPGaddict is just tone-deaf, but Maher just makes up stuff and selects his sources based on how much they support his take, often getting a hilariously wrong picture of how it really was

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Maher is one of those annoying patronizing types that always use female pronouns to "include" women; it just sounds so phony and fake to my ears (not a native English speaker). Unless "Jimmy" can also be a female name (you never know about English names). So I don't read Maher's stuff.
    CRPG Addict is all right; he's a leftist/liberal, but it very rarely interferes with his writing.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. CryptRat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Developer

CryptRat
    Matrix Cubed is fun, and I'd recommend it, yet a bit worse than Countdown To Doomsday because quite early in the game your entire party owns rocket launchers, which means nothing new for the rest of the game, plus the first ship after you leave the first area is the best part in the duology. Countdown To Doomsday is very cool, they're right about the combat not being as good as the other games with spells (and I'd add these games also have more interesting enemies) but it's still miles above average. The campaign is great as all SSI's campaigns are, and being sci-fi it is some fresh air, with cool and varied missions including small choices, stat skill (the skill system does not adds much but it is still a cool addition) checks and alternative paths here and there and, of course, cool encounters. One can argue it's not a feat but the game is very easily the best space RPG.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Metronome Educated

Metronome
    I don't know why the ranking system he made is controversial. It's a measure of his personal taste. The only time it really fails is if he goes back and admits he would have recommend whatever game more highly than he scored it. That happens occasionally but it's not like the stakes are very high anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • No No x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Grauken Agent of the NWO Patron

Grauken
    I don't really care about his rankings, his text gives me all the information I need

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Morpheus Kitami Learned

Morpheus Kitami
    So, that's it, I just thought he was terrible at researching. Whenever I've read Maher on something I actually know about, there's always several things objectively wrong or missing. Which is deeply unsettling, because that bastard is probably going to be the introduction for a few kids to old computer games.

• Despair Despair x 4
    ^ Top  
  11. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    Because RPG is a very broad genre , and his criterias does not apply to each of those subgenres.Thus scoring is completely irrelevant.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Morblot Aberrant Member Patron

Morblot
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Does anyone have any specific examples of the Digital Antiquarian making stuff up? I've enjoyed some of his takes, e.g. the long articles on Tetris.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Grauken Agent of the NWO Patron

Grauken
    I don't have the energy to go through all of his CRPG articles in detail, I've read most of them in the past and here is some choice stuff. That said, I'm not saying he's lying, but he states his opinion often as a fact, when it's IMHO not based on his own experience from playing a lot of these games (or not very in-depth and just cursory), but actually from reading articles and reviews in magazines of them (he's like a more sophisticated version of AdvancedHero, spouting opinions that are the sum of other peoples opinions and a clear lack of played game time).

I don't have to tell anybody how misleading your opinion on games can be if you only read reviews of them instead of actually playing them.

https://www.filfre.net/2011/08/defining-the-crpg/

https://www.filfre.net/2011/12/a-word-on-akalabeth-and-chronology/

Garriott himself turns up in the comment to clear it up, and Maher was wrong with his assumption

https://www.filfre.net/2011/12/akalabeth/

this is patently false, there was Moira and Oubliette on Plato, who inspired Wizardry, which was the title that influenced most of the Dungeon Crawlers that followed, not Akalabeth, which was a footnote in RPG dev. Yes, Akalabeth (late 1980) came out before Wizardry 1 (Sep, 1981), but it is the later most game devs from that gen cite

https://www.filfre.net/2012/03/making-wizardry/

mentions the Plato environment and that it inspired the creators of Wizardry, but Maher was oblivious to the fact that Woodhead and Greenberg copied large parts of Oubliette mechanics almost verbatim

https://www.filfre.net/2012/03/playing-wizardry/

what, exploration and discovery are part of the core experience of Wizardry, is Maher soft in the head?

not sure if he's talking merely about PCs or computer systems in general, but again, most of that complexity was copied from Oubliette

https://www.filfre.net/2012/03/the-wizardry-phenomenon/

Matt Barton had an interview with one of Oubliette's creators (http://mattchat.us/?p=990) and the CRPGAddict review of Oubliette show a high likelhood that Greenberg and Woodhead did indeed took a lot from Oubliette. I remember an Interview with either Woodhead and Greenberg where they admitted it more or less, but I can't find it at the moment, might have been a video.

https://www.filfre.net/2016/03/opening-the-gold-box-part-4-pool-of-radiance/

What else to say, it's an opinion I guess, just a very stupid one

https://www.filfre.net/2017/03/opening-the-gold-box-part-5-all-that-glitters-is-not-gold/

Yeah, sure Buck Rogers games, Krynn, Pools of Darkness, all very interchangeable and lacking in quality. Only someone who hasn't played any of those games could have said that. Again, not lying but just making up stuff to fit his agenda

https://www.filfre.net/2019/09/opening-the-gold-box-part-6-a-troubled-marriage/

Wow, cruft of marginal utility, Maher really wins the price for not getting it

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 11
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Well, I kind of agree with her about Shattered Lands. I hardly bothered with Pisonics. Except for the very beginning and the final battle, the game was too easy, and you didn't really need to use all your options or even learn them.
    So she may have reached the right conclusion for the wrong reason.

• nice nice x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. TheImplodingVoice Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

TheImplodingVoice
    Stopped reading crpgaddict's blog after this.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 7
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 4
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    But you didn't stop playing Bethesda games after Fallout 3.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • nice nice x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Gangrelrumbler Arcane Patron

Gangrelrumbler
    This is what playing too many shitty games will do to your brain.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Numerical ratings are gay anyway. Real men don't need numbers (outside of the character stats in the game).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. flyingjohn Arcane

flyingjohn
    The problem with him is that his review system(Gimlet) makes no sense for the genre.
    He assigns the same weight to story and amount of weapons to actual rpg systems and dungeons/world.That is insanity.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    The fuck :lol:

I'm not a peak expert on 2nd edition D&D rules, but when I first played Dark Sun: Shattered Lands - two years ago or so, I made a thread about it here cause it susprised me by being such a good game - I had no issue playing it. I didn't even have a manual, I played it blind. Sure, I played the Baldur's Gate and Gold Box games before, but it's not like Dark Sun adds huge mountains of complexity that you can only understand as a D&D veteran. It's no harder to learn than any other old D&D game. It has different races and classes, sure, but if you're unfamiliar with D&D and fantasy tropes, the insectoid thri-kreen and the huge half-giants aren't going to be any more confusing than elves and dwarves and halflings. Yeah the psionics are an additional layer of complexity above the standard spells, but I mostly ignored those and managed to get through the game just fine, you don't need them.

Overall, Dark Sun is one of the more accessible games of the DOS era, especially compared to the Gold Box titles which had a pretty antiquated interface by the 90s. Character creation gives you plenty of options but isn't overwhelming, and you can even manually adjust your stats so there's no endless rerolling to get the right stats for the class you want. The turn-based combat flows quite well, and area-effect spells show you the area of effect so you don't accidentally hit your own guys with that fireball, which even the beloved Baldur's Gate series four years later didn't do. And the difficulty level is certainly on the lower side, so even if you don't know what you're doing, you have a decent chance to get through most of the game anyway.

Has he even played this game?

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Morblot Aberrant Member Patron

Morblot
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Thanks for the detailed answer, Grauken.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Shit, now I want to replay Dark Sun. Despite the huge backlog of recent-ish games I've been putting off until I finish the dissertation. Look what you've done!

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • incline incline x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Metronome Educated

Metronome
    Let's say he likes NPCs and a game doesn't have them. He scores it lower as a result. The game's justification for a lack of NPCs is irrelevant. It doesn't make the game more enjoyable for him just because there is an excuse. If there is a whole subgenre of RPG without economics, then he enjoys the subgenre less as a result. The score is no different than if he just stated "I don't like the lack of X in this game" in some kind of summary.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    So what you're saying is that he's autistic

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    I'd like to slip a racing car like forza in the pile of games he has to play still . Would be funny to see him apply his autistic scoring system to the game. Might even fare better than classics , cars have stats,you get xp, you unlock things too.

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.