Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

cRPG's you want most (that aren't being made)

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I sure hope so. I surely do.

And I don't want grimdark, really. Not like Warhammer 40k or something, where 100,000 people are constantly be tortured to death for the skeleton emperor and there's demon gods who sit on skull thrones. I just want a sci-fi universe that isn't comprised of a bunch of human ideals where the only reason anything is going bad is because of ANCIENT EVIL.

Borelli

Arcane
I would say it's most likely due to strategy games being story-lite and more based around historical re-enactment.

Whereas a FPS typically has a story of some sort...or in other words (and like you already mentioned) a "protagonist" to play as. So you know, the hero. I think most people would have a hard time putting themselves in the shoes of a Nazi hero and fulfilling some Nazi/Hitler themed story.

Typical modern military shooters don't really have a story. In CoD 2 you're basically just a soldier fighting in battles together with your squad. It doesn't have much of a story at all.

Anyway, a WW2 themed RPG would be perfect if it included nazi occultism and stuff. That would be great. Play as a member of Himmler's secret SS SUPERNATURAL DIVISION!

Or make a WW2 RPG that is similar in tone to this:

Because honestly, the modern gaming world needs more games that don't take themselves too seriously.

Fuck yes i want a game like this.:bro:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron

I'm SO going to buy this and play it with my P&P group.

And someone has to make an RPG in this setting. It would be like... like... like that awesome Lovecraftian game some Iron Tower guys were making but never saw the light of day. :(
I wouldn't be surprised if Pandemic would've gone this way with the Saboteur 2 if EA hadn't killed them.

Johannes

Arcane
If you want an RPG in fantasy WW2 setting (vampires etc), with tactical squad-based combat, look into Operation Darkness. I've not played it but some people here said it was ok despite the mostly bad reviews.

Oh, and it's an Xbox 360 exclusive from Japan.:codexisfor:

Renevent

Cipher
I would say it's most likely due to strategy games being story-lite and more based around historical re-enactment.

Whereas a FPS typically has a story of some sort...or in other words (and like you already mentioned) a "protagonist" to play as. So you know, the hero. I think most people would have a hard time putting themselves in the shoes of a Nazi hero and fulfilling some Nazi/Hitler themed story.

Typical modern military shooters don't really have a story. In CoD 2 you're basically just a soldier fighting in battles together with your squad. It doesn't have much of a story at all.

I don't think that's true at all...while CoD 2 did have a fairly weak story (comparatively)...you still step into the shoes of a specific soldier (for instance Private Vasili Koslov in the Soviet campaign) and you are pressing forward in a story arch (stopping german forces in Stalingrad).

It's really the odd game out too, as most FPS do have a fairly strong central story...it's also an old ass game so kinda actually contradicts your point. If you look at actual modern FPS, let's keep with the same franchise as well, they have a very strong central story. Maybe not good stories, but modern FPS absolutely have strong central stories.

I think where you would find some flexibility is more in the FPS military sim...for instance if ARMA ever did a WWII themed version. I don't think anyone would do a CoD style FPS from the Nazi perspective, though, unless we are talking MP which has already been done a bunch.

Kinda why I'm wondering what all the fuss is about for wanting a FPS based on the Nazi perspective...if all you want to do is capture objectives with no story, that already exists. Most of the WWII themed FPSs have playable Nazi faction for MP where you can do exactly that.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, it's not like I'd really care that much - I don't like the direction modern shooters have taken, with that so-called "cinematic" experience with complete linearity and focus on a stupid story nobody cares about.

I'd rather have a good WW2 RPG, no matter what side you play on. I do remember there having been an RPG set in WW2 but I never managed to track it down, its name was Another War.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Ravenloft RPG.

What about Stone Prophet and Strahd's Possession? Or did you mean that you want more Ravenloft RPGs?

I've been dreaming of getting a Wild West RPG ever since Fallout New Vegas. I liked the Wild West vibe of it, but I'd like a game in this setting with less shit gameplay.

Shadenuat

Arcane
What about Stone Prophet and Strahd's Possession? Or did you mean that you want more Ravenloft RPGs?
Just some new nice gothic fantasy, preferably survival and exploration centered instead of hack&slash.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Stone Prophet and Strahd's Possession in the Dungeon Craft engine would be pretty awesome. It's a shame it used that realtime engine. :/

winterraptor

Cipher
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera

Gorkus

Literate
I want a Might & Magic like MM3/4/5 - as MMO maybe a GIANT WORLD with hundreds and tons of stuff like races hidden spots castles dungeons monsters galore :roll: Maybe a mishmash between my favourite games Might&Magic and Alternate Reality :D

Gorkus

Literate
add: 1) it should be easier to make games yourself. All this coding sucks !!!
2) a bit of Wizardry would be well too

Balaam

Novice
I'd love to see a new batch of modernised Worlds of Ultima games based on pulp fantasy like Savage Empire and Martian Dreams. Also more spaceship based horror like SystemShock.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Would love a game with a premise and gameplay similar to Darklands, but set during the time of the Ancient Greek City States. Additions would be things like UI improvements, a questlog ( :P ), more reactivity and mechanics-driven emergent gameplay.

Like if the warring City States were to fight outside of player interactions (like in strategy games) and have the outcomes of said fights affect the world at large and the kind of quests you can get, how you can travel/enter cities (like if Sparta were to siege Athens), etc.

Also, if said dream game were to be turn based, I wouldn't complain.

Borelli

Arcane
A band of athenian warriors has beset you!
a) pray to Zeus for help
Zeus appears and smites them with lighting bolts!
Hell yes.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Darklands 2, Daggerfall 2 (no, not Morrowind) and Morrowind 2.

You're in luck, TES Online will provide all that (Hammerfell is kinda like Darkie Lands, right?) and more! :balance:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom