Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Re-Announcement Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Because you don't license things to "try them out", because it costs a lot of money. Because you don't need to license UE3 to see what it can do, and you can ask them about things that you can't see.
Because it would be the epitome of stupidity to license an engine, steal the source code and not bother changing folder names in the process.
Also it would be pretty fucking suspicious if they licensed an engine and never made anything with it.

Also there are people out there that have the beta of the editor already.
Fair 'nough. I'm still emailing Epic. No harm, no foul, right?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Because you don't license things to "try them out", because it costs a lot of money. Because you don't need to license UE3 to see what it can do, and you can ask them about things that you can't see.
Because it would be the epitome of stupidity to license an engine, steal the source code and not bother changing folder names in the process.
Also it would be pretty fucking suspicious if they licensed an engine and never made anything with it.

Also there are people out there that have the beta of the editor already.
Fair 'nough. I'm still emailing Epic. No harm, no foul, right?

DO EEEET

MapMan

Arcane
It's not really a brand new engine as much as an iteration of the original REDengine, now called REDengine 3. Speaking of which, it always puzzled why they never licensed the engine to other developers after Witcher 2 came out. It seemed solid enough.
There would have to be companies actually interested in licensing it for whatever price they'd offer and there's also the matter of it possibly being an illegally modified UE3.
You have no idea how much you pissed me off with your bullshit. Gerrard was here to put some sense into you but Im still pissed. Its the standard around here that people make stuff up and announce it to the world as facts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bKweynM2xas#t=141s

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You have no idea how much you pissed me off with your bullshit. Gerrard was here to put some sense into you but Im still pissed. Its the standard around here that people make stuff up and announce it to the world as facts.
um what

I never said "CD Projekt definitely stole code from Epic." I suggested it as a possibility due to certain coincidences. Unless you're upset over how I'm saying it's a possibility instead of a sure thing.

Mabuse

Educated
So my fellow Potatoes

ironyuri said:

Yeah titz in Blade Runner are cool.

In Cyberpunk 2020 there's no good taste. Shit is vulgar, obscene and violent. That's how the shitty future works. And nipples sticking out through plastic clothes leave no space for imagination.

The nipples in plastic clothes serve their purpose. And therefore the titz in Bladerunner are COOL. Apparently in CD Potatoes skin cream ad there's no purpose for sexy glitter except maybe advertising cream or glitter, I dunno.

Necroscope said:
The thing is you are trying to crack a nut with a sledgehammer due to some personal bias towards tities. There are more worthwhile issues about TW than stupid and easily ignored sex cards.

I have a bias towards misused titties. But yeah, TW is a game of more than few wrong turns.

Necroscope said:
So you're saying that having sex in general shouldn't come along with sex scenes unless it's plot related. What's the point?

Story is the point.

Necroscope said:
It wouldn't be difficult. There are quite a few other ways to show augmentations. They really didn't need to go for that L'Oreal "I'm worth it" look

I think it's more likely that a woman who augment herself would want to look L'Oreal than, say, like Anna Navarre. Isn't that the whole point of augmentations nowdays?

The point is, the crucial part of the teaser looks like L'Oreal ad. That close-up part with particles could feature in tv ad breaks. I want Cyberpunk, not a skin care ad.
They should be able to make a sexy girl look sexy/vulnerable without evoking commercial ad aesthetics. I was never a fan of CD Potatoes heavy-handed art direction, but this is an exceptional exercise in poor taste.

Necroscope said:
These illustrations (I understand you mean the cards?) look kinda cheap to me.

How many of them have you seen? One? Still, even the worst of them are 2077 x better than Shadowrun and Cyberpotatoes concept art so far. Look at the cyberfag in Hellraiser's avatar. He can't even hold a gun properly.

logrus said:
Basing on what you write I assume you haven't read Sapkowski's trilogy yet, have you?
Basing on what you write I assume you didn't read my post, did you?

Pikachu said:
It ruined your immershun?
Heavy-handed writing ruined it first and foremost for me.

Luzur said:
funny thing is, people actually had sex in medieval times, heck even had nudy pics (paintings) like everywhere.
True story.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Languages and translation implants, CDP Red is thinking of getting all foreign NPCs to be dubbed in their native tongues and the PC having to buy and upgrade implants to give him better translation quality.

Video in potato with english subs.

It is unknown whether they will go with that idea, but basically their reasoning is that getting the slang faithfully translated would be impossible and it would take away the atmosphere.

Sounds like :incline: if they go with this.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Interview with CDP RED developer Kanik for gamestar.ru

Not much new stuff, confirms that this will be developed as a multiplatform title with simultaneous release for PC and whatever popamole consoles capable of handling the tech are available.

Apparently while they didn't manage to find a way to make geology useful in a game adaptation of the system, the knowledge about fashion skill will be somehow implemented curiously enough. Although now that I think about it knowing what is worn in certain places would let you get in more easily or piss off less people. So it makes sense as a disguise skill.

Some random questions about CDP in a gamesindustry.biz interview with Adam Badowski ranging from Witcher 3, GOG and of course Cyberounk 2077

interview said:
Q: Geralt isn't an everyday hero - he's not always even a particularly heroic or admirable guy. Can we expect more grey morality from Cyberpunk?

Adam Badowski: We don't think that there are enough games for mature, adult players - Cyberpunk is going to be one of them. We learned a lot from working on the Witcher and we want to go even further on Cyberpunk. There are more main characters, we have different classes and character types, so you can expect some new elements to the storyline. Geralt is described in many books, but for Cyberpunk we need to create the character from the start. We're going to keep the same style as we had in the Witcher in terms of moral decisions, the black and white side of the world, but creating a character from scratch gives us new elements.

What plays a crucial role in Cyperpunk are street stories, which will be more intimate and emotionally engaging for the main characters. I think that epic events are important to these characters, but first we need to focus on the characters themselves and offer choice on epic events.

Strike one off the buzzword bingo chart!

Also Badowski was asked the following important issue(tm) question.

interview said:
Q: The Cyberpunk trailer was very provocative and came at a time when people were questioning the portrayal and role of female game characters - was it an intentionally controversial piece of advertising? The Witcher's sex scenes earned CD Projekt RED some castigation, but it's one of a handful of games to try and break the taboo of nudity.

Adam Badowski: I think some people overreacted - we had long discussions about the roles of the female characters. We have women in our writing team, so we had both sides and directions to the discussion. It's not a part of our marketing strategy. I think the female character in the teaser is a strong character - she's not just a girl. We'll probably show that later on in our next teasers and trailers.

It's really not our strategy to be controversial in this way on this topic.

Yes, we can expect more gameplay-less teasers/trailers in the future!

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
You may not like tWitcher due to lots of reasons, but it's hardly an accessible game. TW2 I'd call accessible in terms of the art direction and all the cinematic stuff, also the markers and some mini-games, but it acutally takes some dying to figure out how to play. Even on normal the game is quite challenging throught the Act I, which is quite enough for the casual crowd to get upset and stop playing. On higher difficulty levels I've got my ass kicked so hard that I had flashbacks of Gothic II.

As for the wider audience, I see a difference between wanting for your game to sell well, and so making it more appealing to the target audience, and making it as much appealing as possible to every single individual playing games.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Even on normal the game is quite challenging throught the Act I, which is quite enough for the casual crowd to get upset and stop playing. On higher difficulty levels I've got my ass kicked so hard that I had flashbacks of Gothic II.
Dark Souls has the good kind of challenge that gets near-universally praised. Witcher 2 has a bad kind of "challenge" that really isn't as long you slash slash roll.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
That the combat system sucks is beyond questions, and yeah, it's the very reason behind the [bad] challange. After you gain some skills, slash'n'roll combined with the protective sign spam works like a charm, but beyond the default difficulty I barely made it through the prologue.

Gerrard

Arcane
Even on normal the game is quite challenging throught the Act I, which is quite enough for the casual crowd to get upset and stop playing. On higher difficulty levels I've got my ass kicked so hard that I had flashbacks of Gothic II.
Dark Souls has the good kind of challenge that gets near-universally praised. Witcher 2 has a bad kind of "challenge" that really isn't as long you slash slash roll.
Which is very funny considering they are exactly the same.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Which is very funny considering they are exactly the same.
DS and Witcher 2 have very different approaches to player character animations and enemy behavior.

Oesophagus

Arcane
That's what CDProject makes. Wider audience and accessible games. Where the hell have you been? :lol:
To be fair, I don't think anyone's expecting a stroke of genius here. It'll probably be good for what it is. Which is still much better than most games that are released nowadays

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Here is your reality check for the day:

It is going to basically be Witcher WITH GUNZ!

It will have some skills from the original PnP system. I doubt it will even have half of them, because they have to focus on AKSHUIN! AKSHUN! AKSHUN!!!! PRESS THAT FUCKING A BUTTAN! YEAH!!!! ARE WE HAVING FUN NOW!! That's what sells (and makes their shareholder happy).

The story will possibly be interesting to possibly good.

Possible ACTUAL choice and consequences (instead of the usual Witcher no matter what you do, it all end the same, but you get some side content that is interesting following one path).

An open world design.

Retarded GIGANTO Interface because of Consoles.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Well they already said that The Witcher 3 will get a different interface for the PC version, so I imagine the same will be true for Cyberpunk. Also remember that Pondsmith is watching over them, and he seems to be a pretty bro guy.

Kirtai

Augur
Well they already said that The Witcher 3 will get a different interface for the PC version, so I imagine the same will be true for Cyberpunk. Also remember that Pondsmith is watching over them, and he seems to be a pretty bro guy.
I hope so, didn't Bethesda say the same thing about Skyrim? On the other hand, Bethesda...

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Yeah, CDPR cares a lot more about their fanbase than Bethesda. And when they do listen to criticism, it tends to be the valid ones. Unlike Bethesda, who seem to only seek to please the dumbest parts of their fanbase (see: The Sims Hearthfire DLC).

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Look this is reality. I LIKE CDProject. I think they are BRO's. <3 (ESPECIALLY on their stance DRM in that it punishes customers and is fucking retarded).

But they answer to shareholders and have to make games that sell. They COULD go pure fucking DERPA DERP BioWare dumbed down shit, but at least CDProject have SOME shred of decency. :obviously:

They are basically BRO's who HAVE to make console DERPA DERP to stay alive, but they do add their own personal touch to make them enjoyable to most people. Personally even though this is going to be shit console crap, I'm actually more interested in this because it is Cyberpunk setting. But the sheer fact is this will be no where near the INCLINE of Shadowrun Returns is rage inducing (and even this is still a bit limited, but they do not have any where near the budget CDProject has for this).

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
As far as AAA+++ developers go, CD Projekt are the best there is and Pondsmith could not have trusted a better studio with a "mainstream" presence with Cyberpunk. But yeah, CD Projekt's games, while good, are obviously not as cerebral as the level of a :obviously: CRPG. I'm sure their Cyberpunk game will have a good story, gorgeous graphics, and an AWESOME soundtrack, which is good enough for me. I don't prefer twitchy action combat but done right I can get entertainment from it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
I personally rate Larian > CDProject especially in the cRPG mechanics realm

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom