Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Re-Announcement Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well from their concept art this is what I understood they were making. I do not personally care if I got a wrong impression as long as the game itself is good.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
That statement is going to be true for the entire game, not just the art style.

going too PnP crpg would alienate modern gamers

going non-cinematic would alienate modern gamers

going turn based would alienate modern gamers

not having quest compass would alienate modern gamers

See what I mean?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

See what I mean?
They are going to alienate modern gamers?

Suchy

Arcane
I like the interviewer. "Is it going to be sandbox, like in Fallout? By Obsidian, of course, because Bethesda can't make RPGs."

Hellraiser

Arcane

See what I mean?

Better go into Kommon Kodex Kriticism mode, it's shit unless the gameplay videos prove otherwise.

made

Arcane
Yea, all I'm sayin is nextgen robots > 80s robots

Personally I'm alienated by absence of Witcher from CDP game. No witcher, no buy.

Monad

Learned
I'm not getting what's wrong with a dystopic cyberpunk feature based on 80s aesthetics.......

pistletoe

Educated

See what I mean?

Yes, and I'm fine with it. Both Witcher games are stat driven at their core. Both have reactive story lines. Neither has too many cut scenes; they are only there to help tell the story. Name another AAA developer that is adapting a PnP game and celebrating the fact. CDPR should be commended for this.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If they plan on going sandbox there better be no level scaling, last thing the game needs is a new character walking into a corporate office uninvited and taking out an army of corp Solos alone.

Some level-scaling is good, else you end up in a totally linear game like an MMO moving from the appropriate zone for your level to the next. When will people scarred by Oblivion's horrible zealousness with scaling realize life is about happy fucking mediums?

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
If they plan on going sandbox there better be no level scaling, last thing the game needs is a new character walking into a corporate office uninvited and taking out an army of corp Solos alone.

Some level-scaling is good, else you end up in a totally linear game like an MMO moving from the appropriate zone for your level to the next. When will people scarred by Oblivion's horrible zealousness with scaling realize life is about happy fucking mediums?

That's why games should use small power curve, dummy.
No fucking scaling, no forced linearity.

MCA
Even if it turns out popamole, I'd trust CDP to produce a better popamole than all the western popamole.

- sandbox as in nothing limits your access to any areas (outside of a bunch of solos with smartguns eager to fill you full of lead I guess).
- no mention of even a tentative release date or if Night City is the only place we'll see.

In a previous video presentation, they admitted that:
- they have never done sandbox before, meaning comparisons to TW series is placeless.
- entire game will take place in the night city.

It's in the previous thread about TW2 SDK and Cyberpunk.

MCA
Uh this is CDProjeckt we are talking about here. Not Troika. What are you expecting? :lol:
And thanks for the info!

I'm expecting Pondsmith will beat the shit out of them if they turn it into Cyborg Popamole 2077. The only reason I have even the slightest amount of hope that they won't is his work on the project and the devs being fans of the system. Otherwise I would outright label this as 100% popamole as, let's face, that's what every "AAA" dev would do with a project based on Cyberpunk 2020. Especially after Deus Ex: HR.

However I don't expect them to deliver anything of Troika-quality, too :obviously: for CDP Red.

Neither do I. Both TW and TW2 worked out of the box. No memory leaks, no game breaking bugs, no unfinished content.

:troll:

Kraszu

Prophet

There is no level scaling in G3, and it works good, there are things that you can't realistically do (well without abusing AI anyway) at the beginning of the game (with CP, and all the changes). If there are enemies that are too strong for you, then you can avoid them, all the game needs is a good reason for low level char to be in dangerous area, and to have some enemies that can be dangerous even later on. Level scaling actually makes the open world pointless, since there is no planing involved on how to get stronger to deal with some quest. Judging at what point to tackle a quest should be part of the meaningful planing that player has to do.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Level scaling actually makes the open world pointless, since there is no planing involved on how to get stronger to deal with some quest.

BAD level scaling does this. That's my point, we need to differentiate between bad and good scaling. In New Vegas Deathclaws could rape you at level 1 but the game still scaled to some extent. Even it was overzealous, but my point is use some scaling logically to prevent linearity but don't over-use it so nothing matters.

Happy mediums.

Morrowind did it well, off the top of my head. I don't think dungeons were ever scaled but the main world used it sparingly and logically.

Kraszu

Prophet
Level scaling actually makes the open world pointless, since there is no planing involved on how to get stronger to deal with some quest.

BAD level scaling does this. That's my point, we need to differentiate between bad and good scaling. In New Vegas Deathclaws could rape you at level 1 but the game still scaled to some extent. Even it was overzealous, but my point is use some scaling logically to prevent linearity but don't over-use it so nothing matters.

Happy mediums.

Morrowind did it well, off the top of my head. I don't think dungeons were ever scaled but the main world used it sparingly and logically.

But why use any scaling at all if you can design the game without it, and have it non linear. There are single time use items that you can use at the begging to tackle somebody strong, say for example traps, and scrolls, you can also use help of other NPC if you need to kill somebody strong, you can buy transformation potion, you can sneak by it, adding any level scaling to the game leads to lazy design, and limits player creativity.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
But why use any scaling at all if you can design the game without it, and have it non linear. There are single time use items that you can use at the begging to tackle somebody strong, say for example traps, and scrolls, you can also use help of other NPC if you need to kill somebody strong, you can buy transformation potion, you can sneak by it, adding any level scaling to the game leads to lazy design, and limits player creativity.

I can flip the question back and say why not use it? It only leads to lazy design and limitations if it's used poorly. The simple fact of the matter is that people like being dropped into these massive worlds and feeling like they can go any direction. Level scaling allows this to be true. If used poorly it makes nothing matter, but when used correctly (like Morrowind) it leads to a vast open world with places, smaller areas or people inside it that you can't fuck with until you grow stronger, or need to use the techniques you mention to get done earlier for a cool bonus.

I'm not sure why we should dismiss the mechanic entirely and most arguments for doing so resort back to "X game did it shitty so I hate it."

Kraszu

Prophet

I can flip the question back and say why not use it? It only leads to lazy design and limitations if it's used poorly. The simple fact of the matter is that people like being dropped into these massive worlds and feeling like they can go any direction. Level scaling allows this to be true. If used poorly it makes nothing matter, but when used correctly (like Morrowind) it leads to a vast open world with places, smaller areas or people inside it that you can't fuck with until you grow stronger, or need to use the techniques you mention to get done earlier for a cool bonus.

I'm not sure why we should dismiss the mechanic entirely and most arguments for doing so resort back to "X game did it shitty so I hate it."

That is the problem, if there are only small areas that are too hard for you, then places only differ by the gfx that they have, you should not be able to go, and fight everywhere, the areas that are too hard for you should give you some benefit at low lvl so you will have a reason to get through them at low lvl, you don't need to be able to fight there head on to have a reason to go there. Planing on what to tackle first shouldn't only be limited to small selected areas. Heck I think that it would be great if you would get thrown into area too dangerous for you at the beginning with the game telling you by NPC or some other mean that you are too weak, and that you better get out of there.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That is the problem, if there are only small areas that are too hard for you, then places only differ by the gfx that they have, you should not be able to go, and fight everywhere, the areas that are too hard for you should give you some benefit at low lvl so you will have a reason to get through them at low lvl, you don't need to be able to fight there head on to have a reason to go there. Planing on what to tackle first shouldn't only be limited to small selected areas. Heck I think that it would be great if you would get thrown into area too dangerous for you at the beginning with the game telling you by NPC or some other mean that you are too weak, and that you better get out of there.

And that's your opinion, I disagree with it. I like having the overworld itself largely accessible but with tougher challenges within that which you can tackle when weaker using good tactics. I don't just mean dungeons either, it can be a rough swamp area outside of town or whatever. It leads to better map design than an MMO-like "over here is low level, over here is high level, etc."

Again to use Morrowind, you get a quest in Balmora right off the bat to kill all the Commona Tong in that bar. There is no way to do this below level 10 without gaming the system or using really good techniques/items. There is stuff like this all through the game, naturally handed out and warned about, but the main overworld is still largely explorable right off the bat, giving the player a large sense of freedom. I'm not saying Morrowind is perfect, but this is generally what I am talking about.

You have a Gothic avatar so of course I know where you are coming from. I'm saying I think there is a happy medium, or at worst an acceptable style of scaling, that people overlook because they are so focused on how shit Oblivion was.

Kraszu

Prophet

And that's your opinion, I disagree with it. I like having the overworld itself largely accessible but with tougher challenges within that which you can tackle when weaker using good tactics. I don't just mean dungeons either, it can be a rough swamp area outside of town or whatever. It leads to better map design than an MMO-like "over here is low level, over here is high level, etc."

In MMO you don't have a reason to go to hi level area, and there is very high power increase with levels leaving very little gray area in how dangerous area can be, that isn't what I am suggesting, there are also no resources to overcome stronger enemies there.

Again to use Morrowind, you get a quest in Balmora right off the bat to kill all the Commona Tong in that bar. There is no way to do this below level 10 without gaming the system or using really good techniques/items. There is stuff like this all through the game, naturally handed out and warned about, but the main overworld is still largely explorable right off the bat, giving the player a large sense of freedom. I'm not saying Morrowind is perfect, but this is generally what I am talking about.

You have a Gothic avatar so of course I know where you are coming from. I'm saying I think there is a happy medium, or at worst an acceptable style of scaling, that people overlook because they are so focused on how shit Oblivion was.

Yeah for me this level of freedom just seem pointless, other then doing few quests my decisions on what to first doesn't matter, I am free to choose from options that are pretty much exactly the same, seems pointless to me. I might as well just have levels then since my choice on where to go doesn't matter anyway so what is the point, just the hiking?

Commander Xbox

Learned
cyberpunk setting.....hmmmm.... im seeing lots of washed out colors and grimdark here. not sure it will be interesting

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yeah for me this level of freedom just seem pointless, other then doing few quests my decisions on what to first doesn't matter, I am free to choose from options that are pretty much exactly the same, seems pointless to me. I might as well just have levels then since my choice on where to go doesn't matter anyway so what is the point, just the hiking?

What?

Kraszu

Prophet

What?

What I did try to say was that yes you are free to go where you want, but by the cost of making those choices pointless (outside of few areas that are too hard for you), effectively it makes no difference where you go when enemies are scaled to your level. If that decision is pointless you might as well have levels where you choose what level to play first, on other hand when nothing is scaled then everything is connected in your open world, getting stronger allows you to do more it adds planing, and real progress (that isn't limited to only few selected areas), otherwise the open world only adds ability to hike.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom