Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Re-Announcement Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
What I did try to say was that yes you are free to go where you want, but by the cost of making those choices pointless (outside of few areas that are too hard for you), effectively it makes no difference where you go when enemies are scaled to your level. If that decision is pointless you might as well have levels where you choose what level to play first, on other hand when nothing is scaled then everything is connected in your open world, getting stronger allows you to do more it adds planing, and real progress (that isn't limited to only few selected areas), otherwise the open world only adds ability to hike.

You might not value that freedom of direction but obviously a lot of people do.

Kraszu

Prophet
What I did try to say was that yes you are free to go where you want, but by the cost of making those choices pointless (outside of few areas that are too hard for you), effectively it makes no difference where you go when enemies are scaled to your level. If that decision is pointless you might as well have levels where you choose what level to play first, on other hand when nothing is scaled then everything is connected in your open world, getting stronger allows you to do more it adds planing, and real progress (that isn't limited to only few selected areas), otherwise the open world only adds ability to hike.

You might not value that freedom of direction but obviously a lot of people do.

It is not even that since don't need ability to kill almost every enemy to have some freedom of direction, you might for example have some important quest related reason to go to settlement in dangerous area that will give you some significant reward for your low level char, you might sneak past most enemies there, and use other methods to reach your destination. You might want to go to mine fast or to some place that gives bonuses to your stats etc, and you might get information on those even when you play the game for the first time.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It is not even that since don't need ability to kill almost every enemy to have some freedom of direction, you might for example have some important quest related reason to go to settlement in dangerous area that will give you some significant reward for your low level char, you might sneak past most enemies there, and use other methods to reach your destination. You might want to go to mine fast or to some place that gives bonuses to your stats etc, and you might get information on those even when you play the game for the first time.

You can still do that with a largely scaling overworld, as I talked about above. You can have a village or camp or dungeon or whatever else that is a high level, or has a high range of scaling levels.

Repressed Homosexual
Nice, I have been wanting to try this setting out for a while.

Also nice that it seems to be one of the rare gaming systems created by a black individual.

Is there any other black creative lead in gaming?

oscar

Arcane
Cyberpunk requires quite a lot of intelligent speculation to succeed or else it comes across as cheesy and out-dated (it costing an entire perk in one of the WoD games to get a device with similar capabilities to an Iphone). Imagining what the future will be like in 65 years is no easy feat.

crakkie

Arcane
I'm not getting what's wrong with a dystopic cyberpunk feature based on 80s aesthetics.......
After playing Hotline Miami, I want the 80's aesthetics in full force for Cyberpunk, Shadowrun, and especially Wasteland. Their soundtracks in particular.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Cyberpunk requires quite a lot of intelligent speculation to succeed or else it comes across as cheesy and out-dated (it costing an entire perk in one of the WoD games to get a device with similar capabilities to an Iphone). Imagining what the future will be like in 65 years is no easy feat.
Cyberpunk 2020 as written is alright even if you don't put its now anachronistic concepts aside. Main thing to be cautious about Cyberpunk 2070 aka their new "middle setting" they'll be using for the video game, is where they will extrapolate base Cyberpunk ideas to without wandering off into the ridiculous Cyberpunk 3000 territory. They're not (re)imagining Cyberpunk on current technology level, they're using Cyberpunk 2020 as a foundation. So there better be built-in finger missiles or I'll be really crossed.

deuxhero

Arcane
Imagining what the future will be like in 65 years is no easy feat.

Deus Ex did 52 years into the future pretty well, with the only real problem being newspapers still exist.

It successfully called things that VERY few people were thinking about in the pre-2000 era: "TV" programs were shown over the internet without commercials as we know them (mentioned in briefing on Silhouette) , e-readers are a thing, the twin towers are gone (though that one was an accident), counter terrorism is the main focus of the world's military forces and a lot of other neat bits.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
lol I really don't get what you guys have against shit that isn't PNP or TB.

Not every single fucking game needs to be those to be good.

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
THey are more afraid of CDP pandering to mainstream gamers, not just lack of PNP rules/TB combat or whatever. That's just one of the symptoms of developers choosing to tailor games to the casual or console or whatever demographic is popular these days. You're right, not every game has to be like that. I personally enjoyed AAA games like Witcher and HR, despite the QTEs and sticky cover etc etc

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
THey are more afraid of CDP pandering to mainstream gamers, not just lack of PNP rules/TB combat or whatever.

Have you ever played The Witcher? :lol: They are a Public company who are solely responsible to making games for profit to appease their share holders. Just like The Witcher games. They are NOT in business to make exceptional or original cRPG Action games.

Anyone expecting anything more than The Witcher with Guns is going to be very disappointed.

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
So this is CDprojekt's "Mass Effect" sci-fi counterpart to its sword and sorcery Witcher series huh...

how innovative.

pistletoe

Educated
So this is CDprojekt's "Mass Effect" sci-fi counterpart to its sword and sorcery Witcher series huh...

how innovative.
yeah, just like Mass Effect was Bioware's brilliant counterpoint to Fallout. Get a fuckin' brain you nitwit.

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
THey are more afraid of CDP pandering to mainstream gamers, not just lack of PNP rules/TB combat or whatever.

Have you ever played The Witcher? :lol: They are a Public company who are solely responsible to making games for profit to appease their share holders. Just like The Witcher games. They are NOT in business to make exceptional or original cRPG Action games.

Anyone expecting anything more than The Witcher with Guns is going to be very disappointed.

'I personally enjoyed AAA games like Witcher and HR'

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

how innovative.
This is an open world city though so it's more like Mass Effect and Fallout 3 combined.

Mrowak

Arcane

You are wrong Jaesun. They make game they have always wanted to make. I know it for a fact that they do believe in their own vision of RPGs, and quite frankly, whether you liked their product or not, it is well-polished and quite difficult on the modern dumbed-down audiences (which is not the point in favour of the said audiences).

Also, since when being concerned about profit is a bad thing? Companies have to not only sustain themselves but also develop. It's something Troika nad Interplay have never got in terms with. That got them a long way. ;)

Yeah, although it will still be a more polished product and a decent action RPG. Also they do get better at making games with every installment.

made

Arcane
Have you ever played The Witcher?
Have you? TW1 was exceptional and original.

TW2 not so much. More polished perhaps, but also more mainstream compatible which ultimately made for a worse game overall.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You are wrong Jaesun. They make game they have always wanted to make. I know it for a fact that they do believe in their own vision of RPGs, and quite frankly, whether you liked their product or not, it is well-polished and quite difficult on the modern dumbed-down audiences (which is not the point in favour of the said audiences).
Witcher 2 didn't present any kind of good difficulty for the masses, they were simply struggling to get used to Geralt's clunky responsiveness and his unpredictable attack animations. If he worked like the player characters in Demon's/Dark Souls there'd be no problems and I'm sure more would consider it too easy overall.

Oh and I remember a few people struggled with the alchemy interface. Yeah, they're thick.

Mrowak

Arcane
Witcher 2 didn't present any kind of good difficulty for the masses, they were simply struggling to get used to Geralt's clunky responsiveness and his unpredictable attack animations.

I really don't get that criticism. Not after polishing it into EE. The only major imbalance that was left untouched is the rolling animation and mechanics. Personally I wanted to tie it to Endurance, but the game is simply too dependent on it.

If he worked like the player characters in Demon's/Dark Souls there'd be no problems and I'm sure more would consider it too easy overall.

Frankly the PC version of Dark Souls I played suffered from everything you've described - clunkiness and all. I am sure that console version was fine, though.

Oh and I remember a few people struggled with the alchemy interface. Yeah, they're thick.

Yeah, right. The fact of the matter is, TW2 can be difficult especially if you go for Dark/Hard difficulty mode. Unfortunately it's all too often "unfair difficulty". But the same applies to Namco's games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom