Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Re-Announcement Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I really don't get that criticism. Not after polishing it into EE. The only major imbalance that was left untouched is the rolling animation and mechanics. Personally I wanted to tie it to Endurance, but the game is simply too dependent on it.
Geralt's context-sensitive animations make him annoying to play, as does his inability to cancel out of any of those animations. I believe these issues may have had an effect on the enemies you fight; they can't be relentlessly vicious because that would only lead to constant frustration with the character you're playing. So you get milquetoast enemies who don't try to attack you as often as they should.

Frankly the PC version of Dark Souls I played suffered from everything you've described - clunkiness and all. I am sure that console version was fine, though.
Well Witcher 2 suffers from the above issues even with analog movement.

Yeah, right. The fact of the matter is, TW2 can be difficult especially if you go for Dark/Hard difficulty mode. Unfortunately it's all too often "unfair difficulty". But the same applies to Namco's games.
Didn't a couple of people here prove you can complete most of the game on hard without spending a single point?

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Frankly the PC version of Dark Souls I played suffered from everything you've described - clunkiness and all. I am sure that console version was fine, though.
Well Witcher 2 suffers from the above issues even with analog movement.

I just can't see what you are describing. Granted - I played with a joypad from the start. To me TWitcher with joypad was a much more focuesd experience.

Yeah, right. The fact of the matter is, TW2 can be difficult especially if you go for Dark/Hard difficulty mode. Unfortunately it's all too often "unfair difficulty". But the same applies to Namco's games.
Didn't a couple of people here prove you can complete most of the game on hard without spending a single point?[/quote]

Actually they did not. Even VentilatorofDoom did not manage to finish it although he did reach 2/3 of the game. It reveals a critical balance issue - no question there. On the other it also signifies the focus on ability-based gameplay (the thing is - most abilities are availeble from level 1), which is a good thing in an action RPG. It's far from flawless, but it is still a mighty good game.

made

Arcane
Didn't a couple of people here prove you can complete most of the game on hard without spending a single point?
So what? People also complete DS without spending a single point. It's common in action RPGs. If you have good reflexes you can ignore the leveling process, especially if the games have a "cheat roll" like DS and TW2 do. If you suck at roll playing you'll thankfully spend your points.
Similarly, people complete party-based RPGs with a single character for extra challenge, ignoring the whole party building aspect.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I just can't see what you are describing. Granted - I played with a joypad from the start. To me TWitcher with joypad was a much more focuesd experience.
It's still an issue that's going to be present regardless of whether you're using a keyboard or a gamepad. Geralt will always have a different attack animation depending on his proximity to his target when you press attack and you'll never be able to cancel out of any animation once he starts.

Actually they did not. Even VentilatorofDoom did not manage to finish it although he did reach 2/3 of the game. It reveals a critical balance issue - no question there. On the other it also signifies the focus on ability-based gameplay (the thing is - most abilities are availeble from level 1), which is a good thing in an action RPG. It's far from flawless, but it is still a mighty good game.
As I recall he had to spend points because the amount of health you have depends on how many ability points you've spent and he needed them because he was stuck playing one of those awful non-rolling ghost characters in the lead-up to Draug (checked and yup: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...siovna-threadskaia.59422/page-58#post-1669068). It could be completable if not for the pointless character-switching.

So what? People also complete DS without spending a single point. It's common in action RPGs. If you have good reflexes you can ignore the leveling process, especially if the games have a "cheat roll" like DS and TW2 do. If you suck at roll playing you'll thankfully spend your points.
Similarly, people complete party-based RPGs with a single character for extra challenge, ignoring the whole party building aspect.
Witcher 2 doesn't require good reflexes though, since the enemies aren't aggressive. You only have to adjust to Geralt's movement limitations.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I have to correct myself, I actually did time it and some of the enemies in Flotsam will attack you once every three seconds and those in Loc Muinne would attack every second. Pretty standard. The issue is that they and their attacks are so incredibly slow which makes them easy to avoid and I was mistaking this slowness with frequency. The result's the same; you end up with a lot of nonthreatening enemies that can't hurt you unless you get impatient or get screwed over by Geralt's attack animations.

pistletoe

Educated
TW2 has some of the most aggressive AI in any melee game that I've played, due to the fact they don't conveniently attack in turns; they attack all at once or whenever they're near you. For proof, load up Dark mode in arena. Most other games are far more forgiving in group combat.

Comrade Goby

Magister
'I personally enjoyed AAA games like Witcher and HR'

Well enjoy your Yet Another Shitty Action Game Labeled as a RPG #873648576343.

Better than enjoying a nonexistant game.

But yeah cool. Crusade against the few actually decent games in hopes that alll your dreams will come true.

Brah are you 12? Quit living on hope and sunshine. Make do with what you get.

Or maybe hope the 2014 gaming Renaissance doesn't fail, but don't be surprised if it doesn't

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
TW2 has some of the most aggressive AI in any melee game that I've played, due to the fact they don't conveniently attack in turns; they attack all at once or whenever they're near you. For proof, load up Dark mode in arena. Most other games are far more forgiving in group combat.
The AI's kind of shit in that regard, considering they like to group up in a bunch and some try to take a swing at you even though they can't even connect. Organization failure. I doubt CD Projekt have ever seriously analyzed other brawlers. Before it was patched out you could even get swatted back and forth between two enemies ad infinitum which is pretty bad because a single mistake shouldn't result in such a disproportionate, potentially game-ending punishment.

Mrowak

Arcane
the enemies aren't aggressive
No? What do they do, stand around passively as you roll around them in circles?
Either that or move around, yes. I haven't timed how many seconds it takes them between attacks but it's on the low side.
:what:

This is clearly not the game I was playing. It has to be admitted that enemies are slower than you but that's due to the fact that you are the motherfucking witcher - a superhuman expert swordsman, whereas they are merely humans that have to make effort to swing a Zweihänder or simply are not that good at swordplay at all (they are mere soldiers and ruffians, as opposed to an elite force). I found that remarkably consistent. I have not seen any significant AI issues, least of all issues you write about.

I think you should listen to Comrade Goby's advice and stop living in a dreamworld, where they make excelently balanced games with the exact gameplay you require.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This is clearly not the game I was playing. It has to be admitted that enemies are slower than you but that's due to the fact that you are the motherfucking witcher - a superhuman expert swordsman, whereas they are merely humans that have to make effort to swing a Zweihänder or simply are not that good at swordplay at all (they are mere soldiers and ruffians, as opposed to an elite force). I found that remarkably consistent. I have not seen any significant AI issues, least of all issues you write about.

I think you should listen to Comrade Goby's advice and stop living in a dreamworld, where they make excelently balanced games with the exact gameplay you require.

I already said I was wrong about the attack frequency. ^_^

This applies not just to human enemies but creatures as well. Even fights where you're swarmed with enemies aren't a challenge because everyone's too slow for you. It might be slightly setting-appropriate (I doubt Geralt in the books could mow down squad after squad of soldiers as he does in the games considering he was killed by some angry peasant with a pitchfork), but it doesn't make for interesting combat. Unless they examine those Batman games more thoroughly and give Geralt animations that let him smoothly flow out of whatever he's currently doing and block/counter anything that comes his way and make the challenge based on getting a high score for more xp.

pistletoe

Educated
I appreciated their intent in making the AI relentless as it's somewhat more realistic compared to other games. But I do agree it needs to be tweaked in TW3, so each type of enemy unit has more specific behavior.

Gerrard

Arcane
Unless they examine those Batman games more thoroughly and give Geralt animations that let him smoothly flow out of whatever he's currently doing and block/counter anything that comes his way and make the challenge based on getting a high score for more xp.
Except you already can block while performing any attack, which I thought was pretty dumb and something that should at least be an advanced skill requiring points. And not only that, but since you only use up energy after you actually block something, you can hold the key with no penalty during any of your own attacks.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Unless they examine those Batman games more thoroughly and give Geralt animations that let him smoothly flow out of whatever he's currently doing and block/counter anything that comes his way and make the challenge based on getting a high score for more xp.
Except you already can block while performing any attack, which I thought was pretty dumb and something that should at least be an advanced skill requiring points. And not only that, but since you only use up energy after you actually block something, you can hold the key with no penalty during any of your own attacks.
You can't cancel an attack animation before it hits into a block though. Though I didn't know you could attack while holding down E, that's pretty funny.

pistletoe

Educated
You can attack while while holding down 'E' but you're vulnerable while you swing. Try it against Nekkers; it won't work. Riposte won't work against monsters either. It's a skill meant for human enemies.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Hellraiser attempts to cast "Revive Thread(Necromancy)" uses 1 "new news bit" reagent

IGN(orant) says a new teaser trailer is supposed to be released today.

CDP RED has leaked some shots, this one being the better one IMO:

8357989551_219be9b108_o.jpg

So here I am, it is 7:30 p.m. Potato Time and I do not see said teaser trailer (which will also in no way tells us how the fucking gameplay looks as it is Baginski's CGI). According to my potato bankster and corporate overlord website of choice (it's in potato don't click unless you want to start craving schabowy and vodka) it was supposed to be shown at 6 p.m. but got rescheduled as the presentation got canceled. Instead they'll post it on the net according to the deprbook update thing on the Cyberpunk 2077 website. Oh yes and if I understand derpbook correctly the "24 hours to go" message posted 21 hours ago means it will get posted sometime after 10 p.m. potato time.

Overall treat this a chance to see if Baginsky can handle the cyberpunk style in CGI rather than if Red can deliver something palpable. And also we'll get to hear the soundtrack I think, wonder if it is more in the new retro synth style we see in the "that new 80s music" topic in the library or something more modern.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I'm very, very interested to see what they have got. A futuristic game is a hell of a branch-off from The Witcher-universe. But I think the gameplay and overall aesthetic style (read: cinematic) nature of The Witcher 2 would actually transition really well to a cyberpunk future-game.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Infinitron the trailer is out and it's here:

The music is utter shit, other than that seems like another day for the Psycho Squad. Popamole role lock into being a Cop? Possible. Although you can still have other roles working for a Psycho Squad, but not in a combat role as the one seen on the trailer. Note how there is a masked cop and later a masked female version shown, that kind of implies it's the male/female PC.

Says there will be more info on the 5th of February at the end, why then I have no idea.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Ygh, dat music. For the love of Christ.

At least we'll get to execute womyn :rpgcodex approved:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom