Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Harthwain

Magister
Also, if you replace your body, can you just as easily replace your soul?
Not in PnP Cyberpunk. The whole point of cyberpsychosis is you lose control if you go beyond your humanity limit. And I don't mean just losing control from time to time: I mean you have to hand over your character to the GM as it becomes an NPC. But it won't be possible to happen to the player in Cyberpunk 2077 for some plot reasons, all we can expect is some hard limit on how many augs you can put together and that will be it.

Saerain

Augur
Patron
I think what Lacrymas and MasPingon are getting at is resleeving: uploading minds into new bodies. With Johnny rumored (or by V known) to have uploaded himself and Arasaka rumored to have done the same, they're just barely a step removed from this theme anyway.

Mitleser2020

Scholar
HR is a finest example of cargo cult and not understanding the issue at all. Who will benefit from augs? Professional soldiers, cops maybe, crippled and deformed - i.e., those who need augs in their field of work and those who need replacement limbs and organs. Your average office hamster won't be getting himself a robotic arm or a pair of augmented eyes.

You underestimate the possible demand for augments.
Many office workers have very sub-optimal eyes. Them getting a pair of superior augmented eyes would make sense. Neural implants could be also quite useful for such people.
It would be realistic for much, if not most of the population to be interested at least in the smaller, less visible augs.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
yeah but we're not talking a $1,000 iphone here. Getting auged would costs hundreds of thousands of dollars and require years of maintenance. That's why it doesn't make sense to have the poor with them.
You're wrong about the premise:
I'll give pondsmith credit for at least acknowledging the argument. Anyway as much as I may not agree with it and I never felt right about it with CP2020 I understand at least his vision for it and I mean lets face it he does have a unique world if flawed. As much as we can fault CDProjekt it is in the end pondsmith's vision that is the problem and always has been because his version of Cyberpunk is different to the norm. I feel it takes the fun out of it a bit. But we'll see how it translates. It's an interesting topic anyway but I make it clear that I'm in favour and biased as hell to the Deus Ex way of doing things. Deus Ex is more religiously purist to Gibson's own definitions whereas Pondsmith's throws them completely out and it really shows.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Also, if you replace your body, can you just as easily replace your soul?
I doubt that Cyberpunk 2077 deals with such metaphysical issues as the supposed existence of a 'soul'.
By soul, I mean the totality of everything that makes you you. Replaceable bodies, replaceable humans, replaceable souls, replaceable you. Transference of consciousness is also a good theme.

Vatnik Wumao

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom