Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Mustawd

William Gibson approved of its GTA-ness:

I actually had the exact same thought as that tweet. But it’s not even 80s. It’s 2015 trying to capture 80s feel. I also feel like it’s gonna be very GTA/nU Deus EX-like. Aka, ARPG. But we’ll see.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
William Gibson approved of its GTA-ness:

The city I live in strikes me as a GTA clone with a generic 10s flavor.

If Warren Spector (the original Deus Ex director) will get to make his dream game - a simulator in deep detail of a town block, there will be retards who will say it is a GTA clone.

Jinn

Arcane
How can Gibson say it looks like GTA skinned over when there hasn't been any gameplay shown? Does he mean it looks like a GTA type story? If so, I can't agree. Just seems like a shallow statement.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
znvQVzt.jpg

Sentinel

Arcane
How can Gibson say it looks like GTA skinned over when there hasn't been any gameplay shown? Does he mean it looks like a GTA type story? If so, I can't agree. Just seems like a shallow statement.
He's just looking for attention.

Dexter

Arcane
I think the problem with Cyberpunk 2077 is that they set up entirely different expectations than what the end-product seems to be with that "Concept Trailer" years ago. It was very "grimdark and edgy" and the new Trailer only has a bit of that, but resembles a Mix between GTA: Vice Vity and some of the funny desert parts of GTA V more. It has an entirely different mood/feel to it than the expectations that were built up. They should either not have released that Teaser or trickled out some more progress inbetween to change the expectations gradually:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why can't he make an assesment as how the teaser trailer looks like?

Jinn

Arcane
I saw a palm tree, some sunlight, and a car! OH OBVIOUSLY GTA CLONE!

Don't you dare put a sun in my cyberpunk! It's not cyberpunk unless there is a big disk in the sky blocking out all natural light!

Last edited:

Mustawd

Yah sunny and bright isn’t exactly distopian imagery Jinn. Butt if you have it ur scene better feel cyberpunky.

And to keep some perspective I’ve
Only ever seen trailers and video reviews of GTA V and I still got that GTA impression.

It’s hard to say why exactly. It seems to share a very similar color pallete in addition to some similar imagery. Overall though, the world just doesn’t seem grimy enough when it needs to be. Take Minority Report for example. There were manicured/futuristic/clean/corporate looking sets, but it also had this grimy/dirty and seedy underbelly in the same city. I don’t get that sense when watching this most recent trailer.

Don’t get me wrong. It has a lot of interesting Cyberpunk motifs, but something just seems...off AND very GTA-like.

Again, I have to go back to the art style. Ghost in the Shell also had daylight scenes but everything about it screamed Cyberpunk. The daylight scenes in the trailer almost just feel like a futuristic LA to me. I dunno.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I dont get gta comparison except for few seconds in the trailer where it have suns.

Whether or not it will be popamole remain to be seen, but it feels like cyberpunk.

Not as dark and gritty as stereotype, but still feels nice.

And knowing cd project, it is still a decent incline ish popamole

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom