Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks like a confused mess. Visuals was nice of course, but the rest. UI looks bad and very in your face, hopefully you can turn it off and still navigate around. Combat looks like it was inspired by modern Deus Ex, but then thanks to being a "RPG" it got to have levels and numbers so we end up with borderlands combat.

It's a demo of course, so it would be scripted, but I hope to god the levels will be bigger. Felt more like a movie with a couple of mini-gameplay/shooty segments thrown in. A thing I found funny was when the narrator says "this was solved with no violence", but then you are forced into another action scene because the credit card was rigged. How is that quest solved with no violence when it ends up with everyone dying anyway?

The open world didn't feel that impressive, even if it looks good. I guess it comes down to how AI react when you try to drive them over and shoot them all a la GTA. Because we have seen these small AI segments play out for years - like some random seller doing advanced animations, people talking and such. Has been in UBIsoft open world for years. GTA 4 is still very impressive to me in these regards because the AI actually interact with the environment and has weight. Too early to tell though, but I have a feeling it will be more like backdrop like in Witcher 3.

And everyone seems so damn edgy, from protagonist to enemies. Maybe it's the future or something, having everyone living on the absolute edge and tension. That's my impressions from the video.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
deus ex 1 was more of an "RPG" than this thing

You barely see more than 30 minute of gameplay. Deus Ex is story wise very railroaded and most of the RPG elements come in the form of some keypoint decisions like whether you go back to help your brother escape but otherwise there is not that much choice or ways to roleplay which is limited to to decisions like whether you go lethal or non-lethal or believing or not believing Lebedev(sp?) for example.
As to character customization, that was limited to skin color and a couple of skills in Deus Ex so Cyberpunk seems to outdo Deus Ex on that front. As for dialogue it is too early to tell.

I think the gameplay reveal was ok though I am not particularly hyped though I rarely am these days. I might start bitching once I notice some really retarded shit.
What annoyed me was the popping up of damage numbers I hope you can turn that off. Might even go over the their official forums and make an account to bitch about it because as mentioned already it makes the combat look a bit like Borderlands and while fun there does detract here. Some cool stuff like shooting through walls and the dash move and slow mo seem fun enough at least.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
the amount of voice acting (everything) combined with the cinematic cut-scenes requiring the digital actor-models and all of that animatic and VO work: all of this means it will have barely any meaningful deviations in stuff you can do outside of brutally telegraphed "paths".

Dexter

Arcane
REEEra seems to be offended again after the Gameplay reveal, can you guess why?
cyberpunk-pussygate1byceb.png
cyberpunk-pussygate2hwck0.png

Sykar

Arcane
the amount of voice acting (everything) combined with the cinematic cut-scenes requiring the digital actor-models and all of that animatic and VO work: all of this means it will have barely any meaningful deviations in stuff you can do outside of brutally telegraphed "paths".

Maybe, maybe not. It is too early to tell. They had all that stuff in Witcher 3 and still managed to give you reasonable freedom imho. Their main strength though is good presentation and they seem to be able to do well on that front so far at least. For now I just hope we get spared that level scaled crap from TW 3, the Borderlands numbers being able to turn off, a better UI, enough character customization for a fresh replay or two and at least a few meaningful choices.

I will probably buy it if they get these key elements right to a reasonable degree at least but then again I am a sucker for Cyberpunk and there just isn't much available and there is only so much Dragonfall and SNES/Sega Shadowrun (on emulator) I can play before getting bored and craving something new.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
yeah suire, i remember that part in witcher 3 when destructible walls played a (totally random and not scripted!) key part in a quest.

in any case i'm not saying it'll be shit because it won't have totes random emergent gameplay, or that it'll be shit because it won't have enough branching content, in fact i'm not really a particular fan of branching or mutually exclusive content to begin with, at least as it relates specifically to how we define RPGs.

i'd rather they make a competent Deus ex-lite and use tons of scripted events and sequences, than a boring open world check-mark list of a game in the vein of witcher 3.

Sykar

Arcane
This can't be real...

What forum is this?

Do you really want to know? It seems to be full of special snowflakes who seem to not comprehend that the underworld does not give a damn about political correctness.

yeah suire, i remember that part in witcher 3 when destructible walls played a (totally random and not scripted!) key part in a quest.

in any case i'm not saying it'll be shit because it won't have totes random emergent gameplay, or that it'll be shit because it won't have enough branching content, in fact i'm not really a particular fan of branching or mutually exclusive content to begin with, at least as it relates specifically to how we define RPGs.

i'd rather they make a competent Deus ex-lite and use tons of scripted events and sequences, than a boring open world check-mark list of a game in the vein of witcher 3.

From what I gathered by the commentary breaking walls and shooting through them seems to be not scripted though we cannot know for sure. Personally I liked TW 3 though I think it is overrated and personally I needed a mod to get rid of the retarded level scaling. I am glad that there seems to be no sticky cover, something I really disliked about Nu-Deus Ex.

As to the rest, time will tell. Maybe I am too old at this point to start getting worked up over too little information too early.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Do you really want to know? It seems to be full of special snowflakes who seem to not comprehend that the underworld does not give a damn about political correctness.
I felt tempted to take a look in spite of myself. Something about seeing shit like that is almost surreal. It's like watching videos of people getting killed in horrible ways on reddit. As disgusted as you are, it's difficult to look away.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
What the everloving fuck?

I don't usually follow SJW nonsense because I find them a waste of time, are they always truly this idiotic? :what:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
cyberpunk-pussygate1byceb.png
cyberpunk-pussygate2hwck0.png
I fucking knew it. As soon as I heard the line with the word "pussy" in the video, I knew that SJWs will flip out on this. These idiots are so predictable.

Angthoron

Arcane
Eh, hey, at least you know what kind of a dystopia those folks would create for us, the one with sanitized language and surgical nipple removal.

I blame this on Barbie btw. If Hasbro made Barbie anatomically correct we wouldn't be where we are.

Edit: Also on Ken. Fuck you Ken.

orcinator

Liturgist
I had zero expectations for the game-play and I was still disappointed. Well mostly in that they made no effort to make the linear bulletsponge shooting look more interesting.
Like maybe they could have shown off something better than a wallhack gun and an aimbot gun.

Yosharian

Arcane
Things I hated, from the first 15 mins (not gonna watch it all)

1) Seeing numbers magically pop up on enemies when I hit them with bullets
2) Cringey dialogue from the team member, trying way too hard to be 'cool'
3) Hearing my character say and do retarded shit that I probably wouldn't say/do, this is supposed to be an RPG? It's not
4) Not being able to see the dialogue that my character is actually going to say, again this is not what an RPG is supposed to be, have they learned nothing from Fallout 4?
5) Quest/POI markers all over the fucking screen, what happened to using a map
6) "This is Kareznikov" shut the fuck up
7) Red HUD markers on screen telling me where I'm getting shot from, cos I'm too stupid to figure that out in a gunfight apparently
8) "(2) SCAVENGER" "(4) SCAVENGER BOSS" heaven forbid I might actually have to use my brain to work out who/what I'm shooting at, instead my primitive brain can act on instinct. Got it CDPR, red name above head means shooty shooty, white name means talky talky! And really, 'Scavenger Boss'? That's so unimaginative and bland. I hope the rest of the game doesn't have such stupid naming conventions, but I won't hold my breath.
9) Having level markers on enemies breaks immersion, I suppose I should have expected as much given that TW3 had the same stupid shit
10) Regenerating health
11) Seems really over-scripted, generally over-scripted gameplay ruins immersion, makes gameplay boring and harms replayability, but in all fairness the rest of the game could be less scripted I suppose
12) 'T-Bug' telling me what to do during that first mission, the rest of the game better not be like that because it's fucking lame. How about let me figure out for myself how I could break into that room?
13) Is this music supposed to be cyberpunk? It just sounds like generic shit you'd hear in any game. The rockerboy music playing in apartment in particular seemed very non-cyberpunk, not how I would imagine music of a cyberpunk setting to sound at all.

I could go on but you get the idea. It still looks like it could be an OK game, but to me it doesn't look like an RPG at all, looks more like an open world action shooter. If the HUD elements are customizable, allowing us to turn off all that retarded HUD crap, and if the upper difficulties disable regenerating health, it could be decent. But it's not the great RPG experience I was hoping for from what I've seen, and the cyberpunk elements are disappointing.

Yosharian

Arcane
I'm kind of expecting this to be like a cyberpunk VtMB, shit combat et al.
I haven't watched the gameplay yet, would my assumption hold true?
Combat looks decent. It is basically cyberpunk GTA V. Doesn't really appear like a true role playing game, just LARPs as one for cred.
What's a true role playing game? :M
If this was an RPG I'd expect to see things like:
  • meaningful, actually-different conversations options instead of one- or two-word phrases that don't even tell you what you're going to say
  • player freedom to decide how to approach a problem rather than being told by the team hacker over radio what to do
  • player having complete control over what their character says or does, within reason obviously - as opposed to the cinematic style this gameplay shows where your character says and does cool stuff for you, and you just watch
I mean that's just off the top of my head

Sykar

Arcane
Woah, look at all those ways you could approach that cover shooter popamole mission! Truly amazing, CDPR.

Tell me about all the ways you could approach the first Deux Ex mission. The one which is so retarded that if you sneak into the "wrong" area avoiding taking any lives and continue to use non-lethal means to fight your opponents only to be told by your brother you took too many lives...

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
So basically liek witcher 3. Enjoyable popamole with rp elements.

Doest sound too bad if you arent expecting vmtb in in current year graphics ans new setting

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, I also don't get much of an RPG vibe from this, but Witcher 3 wasn't exactly strong in the RPG part, either.
I'll take a good action game with some RPG splashes, good graphics and story, though.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Combat looks decent. It is basically cyberpunk GTA V. Doesn't really appear like a true role playing game, just LARPs as one for cred.
  • meaningful, actually-different conversations options instead of one- or two-word phrases that don't even tell you what you're going to say
  • player freedom to decide how to approach a problem rather than being told by the team hacker over radio what to do
  • player having complete control over what their character says or does, within reason obviously - as opposed to the cinematic style this gameplay shows where your character says and does cool stuff for you, and you just watch
So Might and Magic and Wizardry is not an RPG because it doesn't fit the second criteria, and barely fits the first? Don't even try to categorize what an RPG is. This forum struggles with that for years, even for a decade. Just accept that this is an action RPG, like the Witcher was. If you expected more, you are not aware of the state of today's videogame industry.

Sykar

Arcane
Things I hated, from the first 15 mins (not gonna watch it all)

1) Seeing numbers magically pop up on enemies when I hit them with bullets / Agree
2) Cringey dialogue from the team member, trying way too hard to be 'cool' /Millions of those in the real world
3) Hearing my character say and do retarded shit that I probably wouldn't say/do, this is supposed to be an RPG? It's not
4) Not being able to see the dialogue that my character is actually going to say, again this is not what an RPG is supposed to be, have they learned nothing from Fallout 4?
5) Quest/POI markers all over the fucking screen, what happened to using a map
6) "This is Kareznikov" shut the fuck up
7) Red HUD markers on screen telling me where I'm getting shot from, cos I'm too stupid to figure that out in a gunfight apparently
8) "(2) SCAVENGER" "(4) SCAVENGER BOSS" heaven forbid I might actually have to use my brain to work out who/what I'm shooting at, instead my primitive brain can act on instinct. Got it CDPR, red name above head means shooty shooty, white name means talky talky! And really, 'Scavenger Boss'? That's so unimaginative and bland. I hope the rest of the game doesn't have such stupid naming conventions, but I won't hold my breath.
9) Having level markers on enemies breaks immersion, I suppose I should have expected as much given that TW3 had the same stupid shit
10) Regenerating health
11) Seems really over-scripted, generally over-scripted gameplay ruins immersion, makes gameplay boring and harms replayability, but in all fairness the rest of the game could be less scripted I suppose
12) 'T-Bug' telling me what to do during that first mission, the rest of the game better not be like that because it's fucking lame. How about let me figure out for myself how I could break into that room?
13) Is this music supposed to be cyberpunk? It just sounds like generic shit you'd hear in any game. The rockerboy music playing in apartment in particular seemed very non-cyberpunk, not how I would imagine music of a cyberpunk setting to sound at all.

I could go on but you get the idea. It still looks like it could be an OK game, but to me it doesn't look like an RPG at all, looks more like an open world action shooter. If the HUD elements are customizable, allowing us to turn off all that retarded HUD crap, and if the upper difficulties disable regenerating health, it could be decent. But it's not the great RPG experience I was hoping for from what I've seen, and the cyberpunk elements are disappointing.

1.) Agreed
2.) Millions of those are in the real world. As long as not the majority of characters are like that I won't care
3.) You are not playing yourself. You are playing someone else. Someone who might be vastly different than you.
4.) Non-sequitur. Nothing says that you cannot have an RPG in a first person perspective. Bloodlines was first perspective. So was Deus Ex, System Shock etc. all considered rpgs here or at the very least hybrids.
5.) Agreed I hope they tone down the quest marker stuff or give us an option to shut them off.
6.) Whatever. Personal opinion nothing more, not a valid argument whatsoever for anything.
7.) Actually yeah it is not easy to figure out who is shooting you from where when multiple people are surrounding you and you have no other feedback than visual which in the heat of the moment is missing at key moments or too much going on to notice a muzzle flash on your far right/left and sound which with multiple sources also makes it not easy to figure out if there are multiple attackers and an important feedback, feeling the impact, is completely absent. Though personally I wish you could customize that kind of stuff.
8.) Early beta, meaningless point for now
9.) Agreed I hate auto regeneration. Shit is pure decline. If regeneration is implemented it should be via implants only or expensive meds.
11.) You have no idea what is and what is not scripted. Speculation at this point.
12.) Agreed I do hope that "T-Bug" is primarily an adviser not my commander later in the game.
13.) Again personal preference. Regardless what music some people will like it, others won't.

Dude, have you played any of the Witcher games? Did you expect something vastly different from them?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom