Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

jf8350143

Liturgist
Meh, I was hoping they were going to pissed off by the fact that the female protagonist is sleeping with a male and it seems like a default scene you can't choose to avoid, because "choose your sexuality". That would be a semi legit complain I can get behind.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Gameplay looks more or less what I have expected, apart from being a very scripted sequence (obviously) - I expect more freedom and general fucking around in the actual game. I did like the more interactive dialogues, that give you options to do other (also scripted, obviously) things besides just choosing an answer (grab the gun, etc.)

What I do dread, though, is the selection of minigames the gameplay designers will decide to "grace" us with, especially since they will want to one-up Witcher 3 and insert even more of those...

edit: typo

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
Gameplay looks more or less what I have expected, apart from being a very scripted sequence (obviously) - I expect more freedom and general fucking around in the actual game. I did like the more interactive dialogues, that give you options to do other (also scripted, obviously) things besides just choosing an answer (grab the gun, etc.)

What I do dread, though, is the selection of minigames the gampelay designers will decide to "grace" us with, especially since they will want to one-up Witcher 3 and insert even more of those...

Agreed I prefer to see some animation like in Deus Ex and that's it. Whether you succeed or not should be reliant on your character's skill not on your skill to master a minigame. If hacking into computer systems were done similar to what was shown in System Shock I might be fine with it though.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Eh, I liked it. Problem is you can never really show off RPG elements proper with these things so you just focus on the spectacle. A lot of those annoying visual negatives can probably be just toggled under options if Witcher 3 is anything to go by. Dialog is a bit terse for my taste, but it's the clearly excessive swearing that felt somewhat forced the most.

I just worry that "who knows how this situation would've unfolded if we choose to do X?" question all ends with "we fight the gang", though.

Quillon

Arcane
I just worry that "who knows how this situation would've unfolded if we choose to do X?" question all ends with "we fight the gang", though.

I think if she had the moneh herself and haven't met with the corp or haven't used their chip for payment, transaction could have gone smooth. Or if it is possible to steal the bot without detection.

orcinator

Liturgist
Meh, I was hoping they were going to pissed off by the fact that the female protagonist is sleeping with a male and it seems like a default scene you can't choose to avoid, because "choose your sexuality". That would be a semi legit complain I can get behind.

I'll forgive the game if they let you be the Major in regards to sexuality
1466301510326.jpg

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dunno what you guys were expecting. This is Witcher 3 with guns in Seul. Still gonna be better then most AAA stuff we get nowadays.
I wonder if Mike Pondsmith voiced his alter ego.

Latelistener

Arcane
Gameplay:

hud.jpg

Bullet sponge enemies with levels above their heads: that's a cancerous game design for any game except probably for a Diablo-style one. Alpha Protocol was more immersive than this.
Because that's what the narrator is claiming, that it's an RPG, but it is actually nowhere to be seen.

I wanted Deus Ex in open world and this is a cyberpunk version of GTA with Borderlands-like combat (except it's not Rockstar when it comes to animations and other things).
I wanted to create my own character and what I got is a predefined voiced edgy boring ass protagonist with his own agenda and no less boring sidekick.

Misco Jones

Savant
https://www.gamersyde.com/news_cyberpunk_hq_gameplay-20371_en.html

A 16.94 GB video, that's what CD PROJEKT RED finally sent us for you guys to watch the first gameplay reveal of Cyberpunk in high quality. Given its size, the file is only available via torrent unless you're a patron, in which case you can download it normally thanks to the dedicated server. This will be for at least a few hours as our download servers will absolutely not be able to handle such load. Anyway, enjoy!

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
This is basically an improved Witcher 3 in a sci-fi setting. What did you expect?

Popamole fun with better graphics, and some light RPG elements. Fun little romp.

If you expected a real cRPG, then you're a moron, lol.

If you want a real Sci-Fi cRPG, then look no further than The New World. Unfortunately, it's 2 years away, so CP2077 will fill the void until.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Codex expects all rpg's to be as deep as a cunt in a brothel... Then they go and give best rpg of the year awards to fucking divinity original sin 2.

The enjoyment i have with a game has shit to do with how well received it is or is not by the codex.

Zer0wing

Cipher
48 minutes and only one thought spinning afterwards - Looks perfect and all but Is it really hard to follow VtmB or New Vegas' gamedesign to make a compromise that would satisfy both camps of dudebros and rpg fans (to an extend)? Time to learn modding.

Dux

Arcane
So after watching some extended gameplay footage... is this really what all the commotion was about? Looks like any standard modern RPG-lite shooter like Skyrim, Fallout 4 or the new Deus Ex.

I don't really know what I was expecting, though, to be honest.

AbstractKazzy

Novice
Cyberpunk looks cool and everything but the game has too many quest markers. Sure, we can turn them off, but the game is designed around them. Without them there is no way to get information. One of my major complaints about The Witcher 3.

Sykar

Arcane
This is basically an improved Witcher 3 in a sci-fi setting. What did you expect?

Popamole fun with better graphics, and some light RPG elements. Fun little romp.

If you want a real Sci-Fi cRPG, then look no further than The New World. Unfortunately, it's 2 years away, so CP2077 will fill the void until.

So wait is every game where you need to use cover to avoid fucking gunfire "popamole"? I thought only sticky cover shooters were labeled like that. If so the designation to denigrate first person shooters is retarded.

So after watching some extended gameplay footage... is this really what all the commotion was about? Looks like any standard modern RPG-lite shooter like Skyrim, Fallout 4 or the new Deus Ex.

If you played TW 3 then you should have a vague idea what is coming. I just hope that there won't be level scaling again. All they have to do is make the high end stuff reasonably expensive and adjust your income properly so you cannot get all the good stuff too early.

48 minutes and only one thought spinning afterwards - Looks perfect and all but Is it really hard to follow VtmB or New Vegas' gamedesign to make a compromise that would satisfy both camps of dudebros and rpg fans (to an extend)? Time to learn modding.

Well maybe we get some glimpses of Bloodlines or New Vegas at least. We shall see.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

So wait is every game where you need to use cover to avoid fucking gunfire "popamole"? I thought only sticky cover shooters were labeled like that. If so the designation to denigrate first person shooters is retarded.

If you played TW 3 then you should have a vague idea what is coming. I just hope that there won't be level scaling again. All they have to do is make the high end stuff reasonably expensive and adjust your income properly so you cannot get all the good stuff too early.

Well maybe we get some glimpses of Bloodlines or New Vegas at least. We shall see.

I guess popamole is abit more broader term than that now. Popamole basically encompasses things like cover shooting, basic combat and gunplay with BIG NUMBERS, quest markers everywhere, handholding, vague and weak quest design, linear and on-rails gameplay and story. Empty openworld spaces and so on.

Allyriadil

Educated

Which wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't based on Cyberpunk 2020. They are really raping the source material.

Sykar

Arcane

Which wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't based on Cyberpunk 2020. They are really raping the source material.

Huh? You know a lot of the stuff in the Witcher series was not in the original books series either. Did they rape the "source material" there as well?

Shadenuat

Arcane
I doubt they wouldn't include turning all helpers off. Combat actually is very mobile, I mean, sliding & jumping from wall to wall with melee elements, that's not sticky shooter. I am more sceptical about reveal having no stealth elements whatsoever.

Huh? You know a lot of the stuff in the Witcher series was not in the original books series either. Did they rape the "source material" there as well?
Well, they've resurrected Geralt. But as for characterization, I'd say that they hit bulls-eye. Not once I've thought that they've misrepresented some character. Moreover, many secondary characters was expanded, such as King Foltest, Keira Metz and quite a few others.

Witcher books were (and still are) very popular in Russia, we have the great Polish-Russian translation, which saved many aspects which are lost in English one.

Angthoron

Arcane

Kinda. I hated Ciri in the books, but she was more than tolerable in the game. They really shat on the source material there.

Kinda. I hated Ciri in the books, but she was more than tolerable in the game. They really shat on the source material there.
Ciri was mostly teen edgelady in the books, in the third game she was already an adult. I'd say they successfully wrote her, showing this transformation.

epeli

Arcane
So, the code before the gameplay video. iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAA and so on. I could recognize that header anywhere... It's a base64-encoded PNG file. I decoded just enough of it to check the PNG image's header data. IHDR shows it's 1920x1080, bit depth 8, color space RGB, not interlaced. No other header chunks before IDAT.

Just leaving this here before someone runs OCR through the entire videostream and reconstructs the image. My autism level isn't high enough for that.

Update: As expected, someone else already did the hard OCR work. These are the glorious 586 139 bytes of image data they spent hours streaming, at an impressive data rate of almost 20 bytes per second: https://i.imgur.com/MndfnPz.png (base64 source)

Man, that was a disappointment. The one time I get a whiff of CDPR's ARG puzzle shenanigans, it's just a frame from the trailer with no apparent hidden messages. I tried some bit-plane steganography and few other methods but couldn't find anything in it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom