Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sykar

Arcane
This is basically an improved Witcher 3 in a sci-fi setting. What did you expect?

Popamole fun with better graphics, and some light RPG elements. Fun little romp.

If you expected a real cRPG, then you're a moron, lol.

If you want a real Sci-Fi cRPG, then look no further than The New World. Unfortunately, it's 2 years away, so CP2077 will fill the void until.

Which wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't based on Cyberpunk 2020. They are really raping the source material.

Huh? You know a lot of the stuff in the Witcher series was not in the original books series either. Did they rape the "source material" there as well?
Well, they've resurrected Geralt. But as for characterization, I'd say that they hit bulls-eye. Not once I've thought that they've misrepresented some character. Moreover, many secondary characters was expanded, such as King Foltest, Keira Metz and quite a few others.

Witcher books were (and still are) very popular in Russia, we have the great Polish-Russian translation, which saved many aspects which are lost in English one.

So which characterization was raped so far in Cyberpunk and by what standards?

Well, they've resurrected Geralt. But as for characterization, I'd say that they hit bulls-eye. Not once I've thought that they've misrepresented some character. Moreover, many secondary characters was expanded, such as King Foltest, Keira Metz and quite a few others.

Witcher books were (and still are) very popular in Russia, we have the great Polish-Russian translation, which saved many aspects which are lost in English one.

So which characterization was raped so far in Cyberpunk and by what standards?
I have no clue, I always thought that Cyberpunk 2020 TRPG setting is retarded, and never much played it. Its teenage romanticism and "fight the system with your voice!" and such always struck me as too naive for a proper cyberpunk feel. Always preferred Shadowrun, even if had its share of retardation too, at least it got the atmosphere right.

Dexter

Arcane
Cyberpunk looks cool and everything but the game has too many quest markers. Sure, we can turn them off, but the game is designed around them. Without them there is no way to get information. One of my major complaints about The Witcher 3.
The UI they've shown off is generally a mess. They should fire the UI guy or at least force him to play through the Dead Space series 7 times so he can possibly design a better UI.

- Who fucking picked that pink color? It's a shitty color scheme that doesn't fit the environment of the game at all and is distracting as fuck.
- Why doesn't the UI disappear during cutscenes?
- Why does environmental text appear at the bottom of the screen?
- Why is every corner of the screen and at times even the middle constantly filled with some UI shit? (top left: HP/Adrenaline, Status symbols, communicator; top right: quest log; bottom left: weapon and ammo; bottom right: button prompts; bottom: constant pop-up text middle: huge-ass weapon UI and interactive pop-up UI
iEX7PbO.jpg

dJ7Pbw1.jpg

- Why didn't they design a 3D UI to look like AR? It would fit the setting a lot better - and hide the rest on the weapon/player's body itself, getting a "cybernetic eye" and the only thing changing being that you can "zoom in" and get MOAR pink status text and indicators is retarded.
QvZQYYj.jpg

- The one thing they decided to show as 3D in space seems to be numbars, WTF is this shit?
y3UTfKd.jpg

- Quest markers EVERYWHERE, at times 5-7 on screen, they also don't seem to disappear when you look away but remain in the corner of the screen till you turn towards them
cncb23q.jpg

Sykar

Arcane
I was browsing the last few pages of that awful REEEra forum and came upon this shiny gem of pseudo-intellectual autistic turdism:

Some of y'all don't understand what people are talking about regarding language and are being willfully obtuse/ignorant when others point it out to you. Offensive language used specifically to denigrate certain classes/races of people should not be used for the simple sake of it, especially in a game set in the future. Red Dead Redemption was set in the Old West, yet I can't recall a single use of the word "nigger" even though it would be 100% appropriate in such a context. Such language is fine as long as you are seeking to make a point about it, are you trying to explore race relations in the past or possible future? Are you making a commentary on gender dynamics and violence? Are you exploring the dangers of toxic masculinity? If not, then why are you using such language for "authenticity" because I guarantee you there are a slew of other "authentic" elements you've chosen to eschew to tell your fictional story.

But, let's move on from speaking about such possible themes in general and speak specifically on the genre of Cyberpunk/Neo-Noir. The genre of cyberpunk is that of a dystopian future, and it is heavily influenced by the noir stories/films set within the 30's and 40's. The YT channel Lessons from a Screenplay did an excellent video discussing the noir elements of the original Blade Runner and in doing so explained what exactly made a story "noir" drawing from essay of film critics of the time. The elements include: 1) The Presence of Crime, "...the moviegoer is presented a less severe version of the underworld, with likeable killers and corrupt cops. Good and evil go hand in hand to the point of being indistinguishable." ; 2) A Film of Death, think of Blade Runner and how the Earth is literally falling apart and how the Replicants are literally trying to escape their own mortality; and 3) The Private Detective, "the Private Detective is a midway between lawful society and the underworld, walking on the brink, sometime unscrupulous but putting only himself at risk, fulfilling the requirements of his own code and of the genre itself."

All of these noir elements apply to cyberpunk films such as the original Blade Runner, it's sequel 2049, but also video games like Deus Ex, and also seem to apply to the world of Cyberpunk itself. However, as Cyberpunk as a genre is separate from noir due to its sci-fi nature, it also adds further elements to its genre that are unique to itself. Typically this is the prevalence of class struggle, and almost always a new kind of class struggle. After all, the benefits of science fiction is the ability to reset an audience's bias' by having them explore and ponder new types of relationships/political struggles. In doing so, you can have an audience preconceptions changed and hopefully have them apply this hypothetical scenario to current social issues. If you believe that Replicants are human beings deserving of basic human rights in Blade Runner, then what do you think of trans-individuals in current society? If you think the abuse of artificial women in Blade Runner is abhorrent, then how do you feel about the abuse of real-life women today?

As a result, it's rare for a cyberpunk narrative to have 1:1 social issues as today. You typically don't usually have stories that explore race relations as they exist today or explore class dynamics as they exist today. Rather, the social dynamics explored are ones we have created for ourselves in the future. In Blade Runner we have created a whole new class of exploitable humans called Replicants. In Deus Ex we have created a whole new type of class/socioeconomic struggle between those with artificial implants and those who do not. These new struggles come with their own "new" types of exploitation and discriminatory slang, "skin jobs," "clankers," "hanzer," "augs," etc. In Blade Runner we're told that "skin job" is specifically akin to calling someone a "nigger" in the Director's Cut and we see K visibly react to the term when it is used at him in 2049. Similarly, Adam Jensen is referred to in plenty of derogatory terms in the newer Deus Ex games. Yet, in neither of those films or games do we hear much use of such derogatory slang as "cunt, nigger, pussy, etc." And, these are individuals dealing with the very worst of the underworld. Jensen in particular literally deals with the same type of gangsters as we see in the 2077 demo who cut up people for their augments to sell on the black market. Yet, we don't hear such language because the game is seeking to explore other issues or rather at times use allegory and/or applicability to have us recognize similarities to our own world. Deus Ex Mankind Divided literally has two lines for public transport, one for "Naturals" and one for "Augs," what exactly do you think they were getting at there? But, at no point did they feel the need to have the cops call you a "nigger" to drive this point home. The game and genre is supposed to be a bit smarter than that.

So, back to the top, what am i getting at? The point is that derogatory and offensive language against a specific class of people is fine, if there is a point to it; if you are seeking to actually highlight certain social issues/themes. However, typically cyberpunk eschews current slang and derogatory terms in favor of new words that give weight to the new power/class struggles of their future world; these same hypothetical class struggles will then have applicability to our real world. And so when people hear "cunt" and "pussy" and what not, it feels less like a serious exploration of themes than just "edgy" talk that doesn't seem necessary.

Link to YT video I was talking about:

:whatho:

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I doubt they wouldn't include turning all helpers off. Combat actually is very mobile, I mean, sliding & jumping from wall to wall with melee elements, that's not sticky shooter. I am more sceptical about reveal having no stealth elements whatsoever.

What no stealth? I must have missed that. Didn't they do a couple of take-downs in the video? Is that just situational stuff?

Big Wrangle

Cyberpunk 20xx is not neo-noir like Blade Runner, it's a future where punk culture took over. Of course people will use profanity almost every time they get annoyed. It's like asking for the characters to dress like "normal people," won't happen anytime soon.

Sykar

Arcane
I doubt they wouldn't include turning all helpers off. Combat actually is very mobile, I mean, sliding & jumping from wall to wall with melee elements, that's not sticky shooter. I am more sceptical about reveal having no stealth elements whatsoever.

What no stealth? I must have missed that. Didn't they do a couple of take-downs in the video? Is that just situational stuff?

Well you can definitely move quietly if that demo is to be believed. How much you can use that to avoid instead of fight enemies is anyone's guess though at this point.

Cyberpunk 20xx is not neo-noir like Blade Runner, it's a future where punk culture took over, Of course people will use profanity almost every time they get annoyed. It's like asking for the character to dress like "normal people," won't happen anytime soon.

Well V and her partner just wiped out his gang and are proceeding to put him 6 feet under so yeah anyone would probably use some strong language here or piss their pants.

Angthoron

Arcane
This is basically an improved Witcher 3 in a sci-fi setting. What did you expect?

Popamole fun with better graphics, and some light RPG elements. Fun little romp.

If you want a real Sci-Fi cRPG, then look no further than The New World. Unfortunately, it's 2 years away, so CP2077 will fill the void until.

Which wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't based on Cyberpunk 2020. They are really raping the source material.

Huh? You know a lot of the stuff in the Witcher series was not in the original books series either. Did they rape the "source material" there as well?
Kinda. I hated Ciri in the books, but she was more than tolerable in the game. They really shat on the source material there.
Ciri was mostly teen edgelady in the books, in the third game she was already an adult. I'd say they successfully wrote her, showing this transformation.
She was also the author's waifu or something, so there's also that, and in the game Ciri's avoiding that aspect. But yeah, good point, anyway.

Amerilias

Educated
Cyberpunk looks cool and everything but the game has too many quest markers. Sure, we can turn them off, but the game is designed around them. Without them there is no way to get information. One of my major complaints about The Witcher 3.
The UI they've shown off is generally a mess. They should fire the UI guy or at least force him to play through the Dead Space series 7 times so he can possibly design a better UI.

- Who fucking picked that pink color? It's a shitty color scheme that doesn't fit the environment of the game at all and is distracting as fuck.
- Why doesn't the UI disappear during cutscenes?
- Why does environmental text appear at the bottom of the screen?
- Why is every corner of the screen and at times even the middle constantly filled with some UI shit? (top left: HP/Adrenaline, Status symbols, communicator; top right: quest log; bottom left: weapon and ammo; bottom right: button prompts; bottom: constant pop-up text middle: huge-ass weapon UI and interactive pop-up UI
iEX7PbO.jpg

dJ7Pbw1.jpg

- Why didn't they design a 3D UI to look like AR? It would fit the setting a lot better - and hide the rest on the weapon/player's body itself, getting a "cybernetic eye" and the only thing changing being that you can "zoom in" and get MOAR pink status text and indicators is retarded.
QvZQYYj.jpg

- The one thing they decided to show as 3D in space seems to be numbars, WTF is this shit?
y3UTfKd.jpg

- Quest markers EVERYWHERE, at times 5-7 on screen, they also don't seem to disappear when you look away but remain in the corner of the screen till you turn towards them
cncb23q.jpg
Reds are looking for some UI expert designer,there is a job offer on tweet

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Interesting thing about the chip. Apparently you can warn the bad dudes about it. I guess you have to investigate the card to get that prompt when talking to the bad cyberdudes. Small incline there.

According to the interview Infinitron posted above.

Sykar

Arcane
Combat actually is very mobile, I mean, sliding & jumping from wall to wall with melee elements, that's not sticky shooter.

We call that "a cover shooter on the easy difficulty"

So is anything where you use cover to avoid bullets a "cover shooter"? Would it be better if you were the bullet sponge and can tank hundreds of bullets with little difficulty?

Prime Junta

Finally got around to watching the gameplay video. I kinda liked it. It has the 1980s retro-futuristic vibe down pat. Makes me feel like a teenager again. Just hope my aging reflexes are up to the job when it eventually comes out.

And I hope it's not all combat. A corridor shooter as big as TW3 sounds like a chamber of Hell.

Salvo

Arcane

Take note that CD Project is working directly with Mike Pondsmith, the same creator of the "raped" source material. If there's one claim that you can make about the game, it's not that the original author is against it, like what happened with The Witcher.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
This. According to them it hasn't been implemented yet. Tested? Do they have something they know p much works, but was still too buggy for a demo? Do they have nothing? Shit will fly if they have to redesign everything so stealth works.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom