Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CYOA: Honeyman's quest

Repressed Homosexual
You enter the McFeetors hall. You see that actually, there isn't much to see here. After going through the entrance, you see stairs, and students going in and out. There is a small meeting hall with a TV over on the right, but it doesn't look like a particularly conductive place to meeting a lot of people.

Feeling a little discouraged, you sit down and watch TV. You see that there is a girl with glasses sitting next to you.

You decide to ask her if she's seen them.

"Hey, I'm sorry. Have you ever seen some strangely dressed people on campus trying to approach students and talk to them about Jesus? I think my friend got suckered in by that group, and I want to find them to try to get him back."

"Oh wow, I'm sorry, that's too bad. Yes, you do see them on campus sometimes. Well, they used to wear those clothes that looked like they're from 80 years ago, but they stopped because they stuck out like a sore thumb, and that made them none too popular."

"Ok good. How can I try to find them?"

"They change from building to building, trying not to get noticed by security, which rarely happens. But they always keep coming back. I feel kind of sorry for them actually.

Mostly they hang around Ridall Hall these times around. Either they wait around the entrance to find people to talk to.

Or they go inside, there is a huge cafeteria. They try to look for lonely people that they think they can approach.

Anyway I hope this helps, and that you find your friend."

You thank the girl for her advice. You leave towards Ridall Hall.

It's getting towards dinner time.

What will you do?

A)Wait around Ridall Hall's exit.
B) Order food inside the cafeteria and sit inside to eat.
C) Sit inside the cafeteria, open your Bible, and read it.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
B) Order food inside the cafeteria and sit inside to eat.

Bible's too obvious. (perhaps if it was one of the wrong Bible, that might create a opportunity)

Repressed Homosexual
Stopped reading when I couldn't just blast the intruder into swiss cheese and go back to sleep in the first choice, but now I still choose C.

Here is a synopsis of chapter 1 for you or anyone else.

Bruno Honeyman, who lives in Winnipeg, Canada, befriends a stranger who is unusually friendly one night at his favorite cafe. On the subsequent night, someone breaks into his apartment to kill him, but Bruno escapes.

Bruno takes refuge in a hotel. On the next day, on a news broadcast, it says that someone was burned to death in an abandoned warehouse. Based on objects he sees on a shot of the crime scene, Bruno finds out it is the man that he met the previous night. Bruno also finds in his sleeve that the man let him a note: to find David Johanson.

Bruno then contacts different people who provide various forms of help to him: Julian Arsenault, his best friend, Steven Xi Lai, who teaches him kung Fu, George Godfrey, a journalist for the Winnipeg Times, with whom he exchanges info, and Rene and Yolande Cadieux, who live besides a farmhouse belonging to Julian where Bruno is laying low.

With Godfrey's help, Bruno discovers that the man he met was the infamous Frank Ramsay, the regional leader of the most powerful criminal organization in Canada, the Skull Riders bikers gang.

Bruno discovers where Frank's old home was and decides to break in to find clues. He is shocked to discover a woman, Sonia, who was squatting the place and going through a manic drug withdrawal inside. He saves her from choking on her own vomit and nurses her back up health, encouraging her to live a better life.

Sonia tells him of a bar Frank used to frequent. Unfortunately, many Skull Riders ambush him inside. Steven and Julian barge him and help him defeat them. They leave without a clue, but a disgruntled Skull Riders who was part of the fight and who was about to flee the country gives him clues, including the location of the home of one of the local lieutenants for the Skull Riders, Dennis Doyle.

Bruno sneaks into Dennis's home, traps him in the toilet, and learns from him that they don't know where David Johanson is. The proper spelling of his name is David Janssen, and he was a preacher's kid. The assassin working for the Skull Riders who chases him is named Lance.

Bruno then gets a panicked call from Sonia's roommate, Rachel, telling him that her pimp has found Sonia and kidnapped her. Bruno finds the hotel where the pimp and his Haitian accomplices were hiding Sonia and defeats them both in combat. The two are imprisoned by the police. Sonia grows feelings for Bruno, and Bruno also develops feelings for Sonia. However, due to the dangerous life he now leads, and because he doesn't want Sonia to be indebted to him, Bruno chooses not to become romantically involved with her, preferring to let Steven get her instead.

Bruno finds out the church where David Janssen's father, Bernard, is an elder. The latter reveals that his son is now with a secretive itinerant Christian group. Bruno decides to infiltrate the group to find David, to find out what trust Frank had put in him, and to help him come to his senses so he can be reunited with his father Bernard.

Before he can do that, Bruno is ambushed by Lance at the farmhouse. Bruno tries but fails to dissuade him from being involved in his life of crime. He is saved in extremis by the Cadieux who shoot Lance with their hunting rifles. Wounded and humiliated, Lance is forced to flee, but vows revenge.

Last edited:
Repressed Homosexual
You order something to eat as you're hungry. Today, chicken nuggets and mashed potatoes are on the menu.

You sit down in the cafeteria and you eat your greasy meal.

Then once you are done, you push your cart aside, you put your Bible on the table, and you start reading.

You start reading the book of Psalms. It lasts a long while. You have a little bit of difficulty to understand the old English prose, although it is very beautiful.

Time passes. Most people have now left. You are nearing the end of the book of Psalms.

Just as you are about to be fed up and to leave, you see two peculiar men approaching you.

They are dressed like ordinary student. But on their face, it's as if you can discern a certain zeal. Also, their faces are not very well shaved.

One appears to be a Filipino in his early twenties.

The other one appears to be an Amerindian in his mid to late twenties.

The Filipino ask "Hey, can we sit with you?"

"Sure I don't mind."

"I saw you were reading your Bible. That's interesting. We both are part of a Christian group ourselves."

As he is staying this, you see another patron of the cafeteria that is about to leave. From afar, he is looking at this group of three. As he approaches the group, he points to the Filipino man, looks at you, and says:

"Hey man I just want to tell you to be careful about these two guys. They're in a cult! They always come here to do this! Just tell them to go away!"

Then the man leaves.

Both men appear to have a detected look on their faces.

You tell them: "Wow, some people can be rude. I try never to be close-minded. Let's just go somewhere else. I'll get both of you coffee."

As you say this, their smile comes back. You all head to a nearby coffee shop.

As you all start drinking your coffee, the Filipino man thanks you.

Then he explains that they are both Christians who decided to live solely by the Bible with others. They live a practically nomadic life, because they say the only way to be a faithful Christian is to leave any attachment to modern society, because it is "part of the corrupt system of things".

They spend an hour or so exposing various Bible verses that on their face, appear to support their claims. Even though you are aware of what kind of group they are, you admit to yourself that they seem to be making a good case.

Then they say that they are currently residing in a nearby non denominational Church, whose owners have graciously allowed to stay in the basement. They invite you to join them, and say that if you so desire it, you can stay with them from now on.

You're ultimately playing a role... but ultimately, it's not at all far from the truth of your situation. You understand, as an impressionable student, how compelling such a proposition, such an offer to join a band of true brothers and sisters who are together for a noble purpose, that of spreading God's Word and staying true to the Bible, sounds very compelling.

You respond to them...

"I didn't expect you two to approach me like that. But... what you both say sounds true. I've always felt like an hypocrite, enjoying all of society's largesses, while leaving a shallow, meaningless existence.

I will be delighted to join you."

"Praise God for putting you on our path. You'll be welcome, brother. What is your name, by the way?"

"Bruno."

"I'm Jovencio."
"And I am James. I used to live on the Moose Lake Cree reservation. I came to Winnipeg looking for something more. And now, I found a true community of Christian Brothers.

I am delighted to welcome you in!"

Both men embrace you. You admit, they have the warmest of welcomes.

But, is it a trap to lure people in?

Repressed Homosexual
The men make you walk for about 45 minutes, until you arrive at a small Church made out of gray bricks on the outer edges of the city. They go on the side, to what appears to be the basement door. They knock on the door with three knocks. A man unlocks the door and lets you all in.

The man is white and appears in his late thirties. He has a thick black beard and an old fashioned cap. Visibly, being trendy isn't his priority.

He looks at you with warm eyes and smiles.

"Welcome with us, brother. Your name?"
"Hi, I'm Bruno."
"Bless you, brother Bruno!"

The man warmly embraces you, then invites you in.

You head into the church basement. The man invites you to sit on a sofa. The two men sit on a sofa at the opposite end.

The bearded man introduces himself as elder William. He appears to be the leader of this group. He says that they are currently 11 people, 12 including you. There are other groups in nearby cities and provinces, each under the supervision of another elder.

He says that most of the others in this current group are still out, but they should come in soon. They have another new recruit, which you will be able to meet soon.

You notice over in the corner a woman with long black hair and a long, modest dress. She is cooking something. You wonder why she isn't joining.

Sensing that you are puzzled, Elder William explains that "usually in the group, the women interact separately from the men. Not always, but when all in groups usually.

Oh, you tell yourself. They're really old fashioned and strict.

Brother William tells you that since they now have two recruits, they intend to teach them the basics of their faith, for two weeks. After these two weeks, should the recruits complete the training and remain motivated, then they will be offered to formally join the group and be baptized.

After which, there will be a day of meeting with another group that is evangelizing in another city and will come here.

Once that is done, the 12 of you will head off in another city in order to try to spread the gospel.

Brother William says that "Now obviously, since winter is looming, and we all know how cold and rigorous winters are in this part of the country, we won't do it as intensively as in the rest of the year."

Brother William then asks if you can make a monetary contribution "To help with the food and other expenses. Whatever you can spare, but without feeling constrained, as the Bible instructs."

You take $100 from your wallet and give it to him.

"Bless you, Brother Bruno."

He then tells you that each person in the group is paired with another member. The evangelizing will happen in pairs. He tells you that you will be paired with the odd member of the group that is not paired right now.

"Sister Mylene? Can you come here?"

You notice that the woman with long black hair, who stood in the corner cooking all this time, now comes to join the group. It seems that the women here are expected to follow the demands of the men in the group.

Sister Mylene comes closer. Her dress hides her legs. Something for sure that is a rarity with women nowadays. It seems that the strict dressing and long hair are part of the customs of the group for female members.

You look at her. She's a pretty woman, with a somewhat bland, demure expression. She avoids looking at you directly.

"Sister Mylene, once brother Bruno completes his training, you will be paired with him. It will be your duty to help him with the ministering duties."

"Glad to meet you, Brother Bruno."

The woman is visibly flustered. She didn't expect this. She usually doesn't seem to spend time in the company of men. She goes back to her cooking.

After she is gone, you start becoming a little puzzled. Why is this group strict, and yet doesn't mind pairing a man and a woman together? Isn't this asking for trouble?

You decide to ask Brother William.

"Yes it would seem that way at first. Except that we prefer for the women to be accompanied by a trustworthy brother, for protection. Likewise, the reverse can be true. You can guess that sometimes we meet some really aggressive people out there. If there's a woman in the group, they tend not to get carried away as much."

Oh, I guess it makes sense, you tell yourself. Or they always want women to be under a man's supervision?

"It's not a problem for us. It's very rare that it leads to lewd situations. We all see ourselves as brothers and sisters here, with the dignity our Lord endowed us with."

After that, the four of you engage in prayer.

As the evening goes, you are joined by the other members. Men and women come in. Each greets you and is delighted to see you. Although, the women usually express it with more discretion.

Something that you find a little striking is that the new recruit, a young man with brown hair, appears about 19 or so. He looks enthusiastic, but naive. You think to yourself that it is really young to engage in such a nomadic group. That kid has his whole life ahead of him.

As it is getting late, you each take turns taking a shower. Then, there is a last group prayer. Finally, you are led to a sleeping bag. The men sleep in one section, and the women in another.Then you sleep.

Last edited:
Repressed Homosexual
You are awakened. Your eyes are still closed. You hear someone trying to pick the lock on the door.

Then you hear a very loud BANG! It seems someone kicked the door open!

Then you hear the sound of gunshots! People screaming! Something horrible is happening right now!

You open your eyes. There's blood everywhere! The brothers and sisters are laying all over the room in pools of blood!

You quickly take cover behind the sofa. You still hear frantic gunshots and screams.

Then you dare to look again:

You see Dennis! And Lance! Both are armed with a Uzi machine gun! And firing indiscriminately at everyone present!

Dennis is laughing maniacally!

You shout:
"WHAT THE F*** ARE YOU DOING? STOP! For the love of God, STOP! These people are innocent! It's me you're after!"

Dennis replies angrily:

"It's your fault Honeyman! You brought this upon yourself! You should've minded your own business! These people are dying because of you!"

He laughs and shoots again. Soon none of the brothers and sisters make a sound anymore.

"No no NO! It's on you, ALL ON YOU! I should've just killed you while I still could! You too, Lance!

I'll kill you, Dennis! I'll kill, kill, KILL YOU!"

You jump on Dennis. You punch his face repeatedly, with all your strength. Yet he just laughs! He just keeps laughing! You can't make him shut up!

You choke him violently!

"DIE you s*******!"

Then everything goes to black.

You hear a voice:

"Bruno... Bruno????"

You open your eyes. You see the faint silhouette of Sister Mylene, with a concerned and worried expression on her face.

So that was not real. That was just a dreadful nightmare.

She whispers:

"Brother Bruno, what's going on? I wasn't sleeping. Suddenly, I noticed you seemed in pain. You were moaning, and then you started squeezing your pillow with your arms!"

You reply:

"Oh sister Mylene, I'm so glad to see you! I had a horrible dream! I dreamed that really bad men who used to look for me, had finally found me! And I couldn't get rid of them! It was so terrifying!"

Sister Mylene pauses. She says in a more moderate tone:

"Rest assured brother Bruno, none of it was real. Obviously, Satan is none too pleased of you coming here. He is trying his hardest to discourage you. Do not give him a single inch. This nightmare was nothing but a product of his depraved mind.

After all, Holy Scripture says that the devil roams the earth like a lion, seeking whom he may devour."

She may be a religious zealot, but she had the right words this time. You thank her and apologize for troubling her. You say you feel better, that you will pray to God for guidance and comfort, and tell her she should go back to sleep.

After she went back to sleep, you close your eyes. You feel indescribable relief.

Sure, your greatest fear is your enemies hurting the ones you love, solely out of enmity toward you.

But thinking of it rationally, it will not happen.

They will end up worrying less and less about you.

Like the other members of the group, and like David, you will benefit from the group's secretive nature. You will become invisible to the rest of society. Your appearance will change, you will dress plainly, and people will no longer pay attention to you.

Now you are calm.

You finally enjoy a good night's sleep. That horrible illusion has disappeared, for good.

Still, that vivid nightmare makes you realize that men like Dennis and Lance, really do such horrible things. Perhaps not as outlandish, but still.

You tried to reason with Lance. Was that just naive? Foolish?

You're not sure.

Anyway, let's just sleep now...

Last edited:
Repressed Homosexual
The horrible night has passed. You do not see a pandemonium when you awaken.

You only see the peaceful Church basement, and the brothers and sisters eating a meal.

Elder William comes to see you:

"Oh brother Bruno, care to join us?"

You join them for breakfast. You eat your cereals. You have a nice chat with the brothers.

The women eat at another table.

Sister Mylene doesn't talk to you. Almost as if last night didn't happen.

Over the next two weeks, the training happens. Elder William teaches you and the young recrew (named Max) what he knows. On occasion, the other senior members also come to help with the lessons.

Overall it is fairly similar to what Bernard already taught you. Although, there are some differences:

-They say that the Trinity doesn't exist that it is a sign of the corrupt modern times. That it is nowhere in the Bible.
-They say that all signs are there that the end of the world is near, and as such saving the few other souls that can still be saved is a top priority.
-They say that all modern professionals, such as lawyers, teachers and doctors, are part of Satan's system of things and need to be avoided completely.

All in all, although the people are nice, they seem a little edgy and paranoid.

Your impression after all this time is that these people are not evil. That is not possible. They are sincere, generous and mean well.

You think however that they are probably all trapped in the belief system that they created. A prison of the mind, of their own making. In which they are well and truly trapped. So much so, that they can no longer recognize that they're in a cage.

After you completed the formation, both you and Max are baptized. Everyone is glad for you.

You feel more and more like these people are your comrades. You have never felt this sort of solidarity before.

The fact that you spent almost two weeks in such an environment, the church basement, and that almost all of it was dedicated to training, most of which was intellectually demanding, produces a funny effect on you.

It's as if any other way to envision reality had disappeared.

Your mind and theirs all progressively merge into one, like a giant blob.

Then, one day, a van comes. It's the other group.

You engage with the members of the new group, all of which are glad to see you and welcome you in.

You also meet the elder of that group, brother Tom.

Unfortunately, it seems that neither "Pious" Peter or David Janssen are among them.

All 12 members of the group enter the van, that heads westward, to Regina, Saskatchewan. That is where the next "mission field" will be.

While driving there, you wonder how you will progress in your mission.

How will you meet Pious and David?

The problem is that you know these people are very paranoid.

You know that if you ask pointed questions about them, it will arouse suspicion. The members will no longer see you in the same way, and they might ask you to leave.

Surely, such a group cannot function without exercising a great amount of control of their members. Allegiance must be non negotiable.

You also want to help them. If possible, not get only David out of the group.

But as many of them as possible.

You want to be respectful of their beliefs, but you also want them to realize that they have years of their lives to live as they see fit, freedom to enjoy, and progress to accomplish, personal dreams to make come true.

You devise a plan: since it seems you will spend long amounts of time with sister Mylene, you must build rapport with her.

She seems cold, distant and disinterested. But could that be a facade? What truly goes on in her mind?

Is she having doubts about the group? About it being one of the very few avenues towards salvation and true Christendom?

You must make her see the errors of the Vagrants. But very slowly. Very gradually. You must see if you can get her to trust you. And make her into an ally.

Then possibly, find other members amenable to this. And ultimately, confront the elders when you acquire enough support.

For now it is late, and you arrive in Regina.

Brrrrr, it's even colder here!

You will all lodge in the basement of a generous sympathizer who admires the group's values.

After a good night's sleep, and next day's shower (after waiting your turn for a long time), and change of clothes, and breakfast... now it's time to hit the roads.

To win souls over!

You and sister Mylene dress in a thick winter coat. The necessary attire not to freeze to death in the middle of the Prairies.

Sister Mylene isn't mean towards you, but it's as if she strived to be strict and to show little emotion.

"I'm glad to embark on this mission with you, brother Bruno. But remember that I will be watching you. Please refrain from any untoward behavior."

Great. Your own personal guardian, monitoring you at all times.

She's in her early twenties, but adept at acting as if she was three times older. Like a harsh high school teacher or something.

Sister Mylene proposes that you decide where you will try to approach people next:

A)Try to go to the mall.
B)Try to go door to door.
C) Try to wait at the exit of a bar.

Last edited:
Repressed Homosexual
You decide, over the next few days, to simply knock on doors, in your attempt to spread the gospel.

You and Mylene walk for a long while. Afterwards, you see downtown Regina in the horizon.

Just like Winnipeg is the capital of the province of Manitoba, Regina is the capital of the province of Saskatchewan. A fairly beautiful city, actually. Probably that the rest of Saskatchewan isn't very elegant. Indeed, in the prairies, people are largely farmers and blue collar workers, with little taste or need for fancy things.

The flipside of this being that many people consider themselves very religious, more so than in other Canadian provinces. As such, you should find some ears amenable to your message.

You arrive in a residential neighborhood and spend the day knocking on doors.

A lot of people are absent.

Others say that they are simply not interested. In each case, you thank them for their time, and leave.

The occasional person has a vested interest in Christianity. A lot of elderly people, actually. On occasion, they invite you to speak into their home.

Overall, today wasn't such a bad first day. You are quickly getting the gist of it. According to Mylene "It is very rare to find someone who becomes devoted to our cause." So, concentrating on numbers appears to be the best strategy.

Today, Mylene doesn't display much emotion. She watches you attentively when you talk to the people.

You decide that you want to know a little more about her.

"I feel better since the nightmare from a few weeks ago. Thank you for your support back then, that has helped me."
"Oh, that's good."
"I haven't met a girl named Mylene before. That's a nice name."
"It's French. I was born in Hawkesbury, in Ontario, close to the border with Quebec. People mostly speak French there. My mother was Canadian French. She gave the name to me.

My full name is Mylene Feehan. My father was Irish."
"Oh, so that means you can speak in French?"
"Very little. My family moved to Ottawa when I was very young, for my father's new job. At that point I spoke English almost every day. I never really recuperated."

It seems to be a good idea for you to ask a few more details about it. According to Elder Janssen, you should "Make people remember who they were, before they joined the group."

"How long have you been away from your parents? Do you miss them?"
"It's been 18 months. I was a student at the University of Ottawa. I felt lost there. And then I met two brothers who told me of the good news. I started following the group since.
I called my parents a few times, but we must make it sparse, according to the elders.

I do miss them. But, obeying God takes priority.

And what about you, brother Bruno?"

You tell her that you never knew your father and that your mother died when you were a child. You went from one adoptive family to another. Got in trouble with the law a few times, did things you're not proud of. Eventually turned your life around and became a construction worker, but still felt empty.

As such, you are glad that you now have a family of brothers and sisters that you never had, and are developing faith and closeness to God.

"Oh that's sad. Still, at least it's a good thing you found the group. Let's thank God for his unfailing providence."

"Yes, miss robot", you think...
You thought that for once, she was a normal person. But her indoctrination ultimately always shines through.

On the evening, before going to bed, you take a walk to "change your mind".

Once you are minutes away, you power your phone up.

Phones are allowed in the group, but "they must be used in front of another brother or sister, and strictly for utilitarian purposes".

For the first time in a long while, you have a measure of privacy. You use it to call Elder Janssen.

You mention everything that happened to him.

"It's good that you got her to open up a little and reminded her that she had a life before joining the sect.

I didn't stay idle during this time. You'll be glad."

It turns out that Elder Janssen contacted a former member of the Vagrants. He took detailed notes, to understand their theology point by point. Then, he consorted with other elders and the pastor of his church, all with decades of experience faithfully studying the Bible.

They made a document detailing all the arguments you can make to expose the errors in Pious' teachings.

"Let me send it to you by email. I have exactly what you need.

Contact me later when you have something new. Thank you again for your efforts in finding my son. Think of all the other families who lost a loved one too."

You receive the email. You spend a little time reading the document. You now understand their weak points more.

You delete the document. It's still in your inbox, but you delete the email app. You'll just reinstall it next time you want to read it. Then, clear your call logs.

They certainly must not catch you with this document. Not until you find a member who's ready, at least. That document really is dynamite.

Satisfied, you go to sleep.

The next two days happen similarly to the first one.

After that, Sister Mylene asks you what you wish to do:

A)Look for people outside a bar.
B)Go to the campus of the University of Regina.
C)Go in parks and try to find people who are alone.

Last edited:
Repressed Homosexual
I just want to tell you guys, if some of you lose interest for whatever reason, that is fine, no hard feelings at all. From what I've seen of this board so far, most of the CYOAs are set to be easy to pick up and play and be involved in, and are quite derpy and do not take themselves seriously. Which of course is totally fine and entertaining on its own. I understand if it gets a little much at times. This chapter is almost entirely about interaction between characters, far less about fights/infiltrations/etc.

If after a few days at certain points nobody responds, I will pick a choice at random by myself.

I intend to see it to completion no matter what.

There will be a synopsis for each chapter, as I've done for chapter one. I will integrate these to the original post. This will allow anyone to come back at a later point if desired, and quickly get up to speed with everything that happened until then.

This is still only the beginning of the adventure and a prelude for many more twists and turns, conflicts, and conspiracies to unravel that will come later, all across Canada.

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I couldn't log in to the codex this week end, otherwise I'd have voted. Though from personal experience, voter participation can vary, especially when there's change of pace

B)Go to the campus of the University of Regina.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I just want to tell you guys, if some of you lose interest for whatever reason, that is fine, no hard feelings at all. From what I've seen of this board so far, most of the CYOAs are set to be easy to pick up and play and be involved in, and are quite derpy and do not take themselves seriously.
The pace is quicker than I can follow on some of the busier days. I had to attend to some personal stuff, and had to prioritize things as a result.

I'll probably be done with catching up in an hour, and then cast my vote.

Edit:
They are dressed like ordinary student.
students
Both men appear to have a detected look on their faces.
dejected
As you say this, their smile comes back.
one smile for both?

-They say that all modern professionals, such as lawyers, teachers and doctors, are part of Satan's system of things and need to be avoided completely.
Ah, so they are encouraged to avoid legal protections, prevented from seeking out knowledge and forced to depend on their own members for healthcare. That way if one even so much as thinks about leaving, they would not know what to do.

Edit2:
Frankly, I find the new chaper better than the previous one. Dealing with a cult feels a lot more believable than opposing a criminal gang who can be stopped by an elder couple with a shotgun.

B) Go to the campus of the University of Regina.

Last edited:
Repressed Homosexual
You take a week to scour the campus of the university of Regina and try to find people who might be receptive to your message. You find that the young and also the downtrodden usually seem to be those who feel aimless and are more willing to embrace it. Young people are looking for a sense of who they are. And the Vagrants are claiming to be messengers from God bringing the answers.

You try to empathize with them, listen to them, and provide support. Still, you cannot help but feel a little guilty: are you leading these people astray, just to help maintain your cover? Will this ultimately create more harm than good?

Sister Mylene still monitors your behavior, but fortunately, she now seems to have loosened up a little. You have started cracking jokes every now and then.

At one point, when you felt her prodding gaze for too long:

"Mylene, you get some weird kick out of doing this to me, don't you?"
"Oh brother not at all! Don't say that!"

As she says this, she laughs and smiles.

Finally. Proof that she is well and truly human.

This stern attitude of hers really is just a facade, reinforced by the group.

You look at her long black hair, her small rounded face, her smile... she looks alive again when she erupts into laughter this way. Like a blooming flower.

And you begin to find her quite pretty... you surprise yourself thinking of her frequently when she's not around. Thinking about where things
could go between you two if she was a normal girl who was not captive to a controlling group.

Alas, such occasions are short lived, and her attitude remains largely aloof.

On the evenings, when you are back at the house and she spends this time cooking and mingling with the other sisters, you start conversing with brothers Jovencio, James, and eventually Max.

All three seem happy of this nomadic lifestyle. They discuss the scriptures and the people they meet with enthusiasm. Still, once again, you feel guilty. All three have their whole life ahead of them. Max, especially.

On the last day, you and sister Mylene attempt to bring your Christian message to a young man, sitting on a bench on the campus. Which you quickly regret:

"Who needs religion when I have science? Your religion is a poison! It's pointless!"
"So you believe that science can tell us why you are here? Science never has all the answers. Only God has."

A devilish look appears on his face:

"Say that, you're a cutie, babe, even though you dress like my great grandmother. Let me show you a better time than this bore..."

He motions forward toward Mylene, who looks very apprehensive.

You put yourself in between them. "I don't think so, my boy."

"You, scram!"

He tries to hit you, but he's a little punk, and no match for you. You block all his attacks, and quickly punch him to the ground. You put your foot on him:

"I don't think so, no. Please just be on your way. Bless you, brother. We'll pray for you. "

Then he pulls away and runs off. You see Jovencio and James who were also on site and witnessed the whole scene, in awe.

An agent from campus security also joins you. You tell him how things went. He says that he understands you were not the instigators, but to "please leave and do not proselytize on university grounds anymore for now". You agree and leave.

Later on tonight, Jovencio and James talk about the incident to brother William. William comes to talk to you with concern. However, once he realizes that you did not initiate the confrontation and showed restraint in order not to hurt the man, he is satisfied and asks you to pray for that lost boy's soul. You agree and he lets you go.

Before going to bed, you decide to go outside again to take a walk. You miss everyone back in Winnipeg. You call the Cadieux, Steven, and then Julian. All of them are glad to hear from you. When they press you for details, you remain vague and simply tell them that you are "on a mission" that will take a long time.

Lastly, you hear from Sonia. She tells you that she went back to her work, and has started trauma therapy. You are glad to hear she is doing well. You wish her goodnight, and hang up.

Just as you do this...

"Who's Sonia???"

You hear a voice! You turn back... and you see Mylene! She went outside to look for you and found you! Oops!

"Is Sonia your girlfriend? And who are all these people? What's this about "being on a long mission"?

"I just missed my friends that's all. Sorry I didn't consult with you before. Sonia's just a friend from Winnipeg. And I don't want to clue my old friends in on what we're doing, like you said."

"That would be one thing... but there was also that dream from the other day... and the way you fought today, like a martial artist... and what's more, the advanced biblical knowledge and keen interest you showed from the get go.

I've been wondering about you for a while, brother Bruno. Who are you, really? Did you join us with an hidden agenda? Or is it me who's going crazy?

Tell me the truth! You owe me some honesty!"

You didn't expect this. That was too early. If she alerts the others, then it's probably all over and you'll never meet Janssen.

She needs to be pacified and quickly. Can you tell her the whole truth now? Is she about to crack? Or will this backfire? You think that she is a good person with good intentions. You saw a better side of her. But you're not sure how she could react...

Ultimately, you decide that she is very perceptive and that lying to her is not a good idea. And just at that instant, she bursts into tears.

"I can't take it! I can't take living this way anymore! I tried to bury it... but then you came and just brought it all back. It's just wrong!"

Poor girl. She's been manipulated by this group for 18 months. You want to comfort her. You hold her tightly in your arms. She takes refuge in them and sobs less.

And then she looks at you... almost as if she was mesmerized by you... by the indomitable determination in your eyes... and you also find yourself unable to resist her... you both share a passionate kiss.

The dam has been broken by the torrent of your collective pent up emotions. You both fancied each other, but letting it out was impossible. Until now. And at this point, nothing can make either of you regret letting go.

But quickly, you worry that others might look for you and catch you both in the act. You pull back a little, put your finger on Mylene's lips, and say...

"Mylene... I'm sorry for not having been transparent with you. I just couldn't. I'm on your side and I care so much for you. Please, give me until tomorrow. Until we can both be alone and take our time. I will reveal everything to you then. And we will decide what we will do.

In fact, it's probably a good thing that you saw me doing this. You're the only one who can help me."

She looks at you and nods, still sobbing a little.

At this point, you hear a voice from far away.

"Mylene? Bruno? Where are you? Is everything going well?"

Oh no, someone is there! A worried brother is looking for you and Mylene! He has not yet noticed your presence! What will you do?

A) Quickly move away out of view with Mylene. Wait until the brother leaves. Then come back to the group, saying you had both been on a walk to help you meditate.
B) Step up to the brother and tell him Mylene hadn't been going well due to the fight from earlier.
C) Step up to the brother and tell him you were feeling sick.

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
B) Step up to the brother and tell him Mylene hadn't been going well due to the fight from earlier.

Repressed Homosexual
You shout: "Brother, we're here!"

The worried brother approaches.

"Brother, I think sister Mylene is really not doing well. I was taking some fresh air and she joined me, panicked and in tears. Earlier today, an uncouth man made a pass at her, and there was an ensuing confrontation. I think it really shook her up."

"Oh no, poor sister Mylene! What an ordeal you went through. We're all here for you. Come back and have a good night's sleep. Confide all your worries to the Lord!"

You fooled him easily, but found it sad. Can't these people just be a human being, for once?

As you walk back towards the house with Mylene and the brother, you tell yourself that the both of you will have to be very careful in the vicinity of other brothers or sisters not yet allied to you. They're a paranoid bunch, and if they suspect the truth, that you both became lovers and started plotting against the group behind their back, then the both of you will be permanently expelled for sure. This must not get out until you're ready. Fortunately, so far, you have handled them well and they seem clueless.

You're encouraged when you glance at her and she glances back, though. Because the way she looks at you right now is very different. For the first time, you see a frank smile. You see eyes full of hope. You see a girl that appears reborn. That knows that she is loved. You swear that you will protect her and not let her down.

You worry that the other sisters will notice that something is different sooner or later, if she so suddenly looks like her head is in the clouds. But then, you tell yourself that you must not underestimate her. After all, she's probably been pining for you for a while, and never gave any obvious hints of it.

You sleep alongside the brothers in your sleeping bag. You are also encouraged yourself, like Mylene. She seems like she wants to support you, just like you want to support her. You've dealt with heavy stuff as well, so you welcome it. You love being able to depend on someone.

Your trials when it comes to dealing with the group will not be comprised of as much darkness or violence as in Winnipeg. But, they promise to be just as difficult.

On the next day, you leave for another day of evangelism. Brother William tells you that the group will soon change places again. You will go to Calgary, Alberta, farther away West. Then from that point, you will spend some time traveling separately throughout Alberta, trying to minister to new people.

They really like to change locations often. Why is that, when it doesn't seem like a new faithful member has been recruited in Regina?

Or perhaps the point is not to recruit new members. Perhaps the ministering activities are meant to keep the existing members stuck in. Unable to have a decent and stable living anywhere, and thus dependent on the group.

After the usual morning routine, you get out of the house and Mylene comes out. She has her usual aloof look. The both of you say that you will walk around town trying to find people. You salute the other brothers and sisters, then go on your way.

However, when you both are confident that you are far away from the others... you realize that you were not dreaming about last night's events. She turns to you, red like a tomato, so much so that she is unable to even look at you. You embrace, the both of you relieved of having found each other. And kiss over and over again.

Once you got it out of your system, you say: "I'm so glad I have you, my love. But we have unfinished business to discuss now, as you'll recall."

Mylene comes back to earth. You try to think of a place where the both of you can be comfortable and discuss for a while, free from prying eyes and ears. You soon reach a coffee house. It seems perfect, so you enter.

You find a quiet spot in a corner, and offer Mylene to buy her some coffee.

"I will now respect my promise from last night, and tell you everything that has happened. Even the dream, I didn't fully convey the brutal nature of it.

Once you know it all, you'll be free to just walk away from me and go back to your parents in Ottawa if you want.

Are you sure you want to hear it?"

"Yes... they pulled the wool over my eyes... and you help me to see again. I don't want to live life blindly ever again."

You heave a sigh... and you start telling her everything that transpired in the last few months. Sparing absolutely no detail. This takes a good two hours.

Once this exhausting task is complete, you say: "So now you know. I've led a dangerous life recently. You know what I came to do in the group, who I need to meet. You know I was coached on how to interact with it from the very start."

You look at Mylene with apprehension. She says

"Give me a few minutes to process this..."

She's lost in thought... Then says...

"This really is a lot. I don't understand why you don't just give up. Why burden yourself so much? Why risk your life, even at that? I understand that you helped a lot of people... but what if your luck runs out?

Maybe... maybe we should just elope. Forget all this. Just go to Ottawa where my parents live, and build ourselves a good life there. Would that be so bad?"

As she says this, that indeed sounds like a very tempting proposition. A quiet life with Mylene. Peace and happiness.

But then, it couldn't be so simple, could it?

"Mylene, there's nothing in the world that I would like more than to do just that.

But what about the others? You might have started finding your life back... but can we just turn our backs on all our brothers and sisters? The sad truth is that they are subjugated to a cult that controls their every thought, their every move. That makes them their slaves! Sure, it's born from good intentions... but also, from the misanthropy, the paranoia of Pious and his accolytes.

We can't give up on them. We have to at least try."

Mylene sees that you are right.

"It bothers me too. I'm sure you felt it. They mostly get young people, who don't even know yet who they are. It's like we're Pied Pipers."

"That's not all Mylene... I have a document you really need to read attentively. It's from David Janssen's father."

You lend her your phone. She spends a very long time reading it.

"So you see, Mylene? There's such a thing as different interpretations. But what Pious is doing is clearly picking and choosing bible verses that support his warped doctrine, taking them out of context, and ignoring others. So it goes well beyond having a different opinion or interpretation. It's blatant dishonesty.

Tell me, why do they harp endlessly on a few specific points like the need to give up all family and possessions or the impending end of the world, and not so much on others that are just as important? You know who does that? Cults do!

It's simply laughable. You believe that God's chosen will not include any handicapped or elderly people? Who can believe this nonsense? How many elderly or handicapped did Christ help in the Bible, pray tell? It's just that Pious doesn't want anyone who won't be able to work for him for free every waking hour of every day!"

Mylene looks struck by what you just said.

"None of the leaders ever spelled it out... but they clearly discouraged us from reaching out to the handicapped, the ill or the elderly. In the back of my mind, I always found it cruel."

Then she becomes embarrassed.

"Bruno... there's something else we need to discuss... I think we can hide our relationship from the others... but... you know... what if when we're alone together... what if... we go too far?"

She's red like a tomato again. You get the picture.

"I get it. Everything in due time, Mylene. We have other tasks right now to focus on. Let's give ourselves more time. Then if things become... more and more out of control, and if what is now between us truly endures, then we can marry. You know that scripture says it is "Better to marry than to burn with lust.""

"Bruno, that is not so simple. From what I heard, the group has not granted any marriage in years."

Why are you not surprised by this in the least? You look at her cynically.

"Of course they don't. What do you think happens, if people marry? They spend time with each other, and reduce their devotion to the group. Then when they have children, their devotion diminishes even more.

Pious can't have that, can he?

For that matter, we don't need him. We don't need the blessing or a permission from anyone. If we want to, we can just get a marriage certificate, and find a celebrant. It's cheap and easy.

But let's stop worrying about this for now. I have someone I'd like you to meet. Someone who has your spiritual needs to heart... without ulterior motives, unlike others."

You contact Elder Janssen on the encrypted app. You are lucky, he is there and replies to you. Then, you initiate a video call.

You present Mylene to him and explain the situation. The two have a long discussion. He further exposes the group's failings to her. He also relays to her the testimony of the former member.

After all this, she clearly sees that she had been manipulated by the group all along.

"I don't know how I feel right now. What I thought I believed has been proven a lie."

"It will take time, my love. But you will readjust. The group will not ruin your life. I will not let them.

The others all have loved ones waiting for them. We need to help them."

Mylene has an idea.

"About David Janssen... he has his own group too. They will be in Edmonton in a few weeks. So we might be able to meet them.

I only spoke to him very briefly once, but from what I saw, he's one of the most reasonable elders. He never pushed any hardline rhetoric that I could see.

Someone like Elder William, however... beware of him. He looks gentle... but when things don't go his way or someone disobeys, he can get on your back and you won't like it."

You cannot believe what you hear. David Janssen has only been a mythical figure so far. And now, you have a better idea of where he will be, and a chance to meet him. And perhaps he can even be swayed over to your side. And finally tell you more about Frank Ramsey and what he was doing.

"Finally I'll know more about Frank Ramsay, if we play our cards right."

"Bruno, about that... you put yourself in dangerous situations, for something I don't understand....I think I get that it's who you are.

In spite of the danger, I won't try to dissuade you anymore.

After the time spent in Alberta, in a month or so, every group will meet together for one day, in Vancouver. It will be around Christmas Day. After that, some people will evangelize in Vancouver and Victoria for the winter, while others cross down into Seattle and the state of Washington.

Of course, they think Christmas is pagan... but I think they do this because else some members would be tempted to visit their family."

You are encouraged.

"That's a brilliant occasion. Here's what we will do. We will take the next four weeks to garner as much info as we can about other former members who left the group or were kicked out, and live in Alberta. Elder Janssen will also help us to find more incriminating evidence to expose the group for what it is.

Then once we're in Vancouver, we'll create a scandal. This will give us the opportunity to expose our findings to all the groups at once, and hopefully get as many people as possible out.

We'll put as much pressure as possible on Pious. If he cracks, the group will fall apart.

Once the business in Vancouver is done, armed with the info I need about Frank Ramsay, I will go back to Winnipeg. I will do whatever I still need to do. You can go back to Ottawa to your parents. Resume your studies.

Then when I'm finally done with all this, I'll join you in Ottawa, and we'll finally have our quiet life together."

Mylene looks worried.

"However long it takes, I will wait for you. Just please, promise me... that you'll be careful. That you will come back to me in one piece."

You nod.

"Mylene, I don't want to be vain. Well, maybe just a little. You've... liked me for a long time?"

She blushes again

"I was intrigued by you since I first saw you. I couldn't let it show at first. But you showed me I didn't have to be unhappy. You helped me open up. And I could see how you were treating the people we talked to with respect. You empathized with them, and yet you were honest. You try to strive for justice, and I admire that about you."

"I admire you too, for similar reasons. I guess it really is a divine encounter."

Anyway, finally, you know what to do. You have a plan.

You and Mylene truly understand each other now. Unlike in the group, nothing is forced. You have a genuine connection. You are a team, you and her.

After all these hours spent discussing and scheming, it's time to go back to your duties. Before you do, you suggest her to call her parents, so they at least know she's changed. You lend her your phone.

She calls...

"Allô maman? C'est moi, Mylène.

I just wanted to tell you that I'm doing fine. I realized that I was stuck in a cult. I have a boyfriend now who helped me see that and is getting me out.

I will go back home but first, I want to try to get the others out too. There are many young people who are stuck too.

Please stop worrying, we'll be together soon. I'll come back to Ottawa. I'll keep you posted.

Je t'aime maman. Dis bonjour à papa. "

Mylene looks like a huge weight has been lifted off her shoulders.

Now let's hit the streets again... maybe Jovencio and James can be reasoned with... but you have to be smart about it. Take it really slowly...

Last edited:
Repressed Homosexual
You spend the rest of the day talking to people. You and Mylene decided not to recruit anybody anymore. Instead, you just want to talk and listen to people. And you abstain from mentioning any of the hardline doctrines from the group.

In the evening, you come back to the house. It was the last day in Regina today. Tomorrow, people are heading to Alberta. Most people are going to a house that will serve to a base for the group in this month-long protect. Elder William gives everyone its location. It is in downtown Calgary. However, some people will not board the van that will come pick everyone up. Rather, they will go to other cities in Alberta, and later go to Calgary.

Looking around everywhere, you see that some people seem to be missing; namely, Jovencio and James. They are not here. And yet, nobody is mentioning this. They are acting as if nothing was unusual. What's going on?

At that point, Elder William comes to you.

"Ah, brother Bruno. I needed to talk to you in private. Can I have a word with you?"
"Sure, brother William."

The both of you go into another room.

"So, you've been with us for more than a month now. Are you satisfied? Are you adjusting to this new life? Is there anything wrong?"

"Things are going well, brother. I am honored every day to serve the Lord and be with my brother. God willing, this can continue."

"Praise God! I'm glad to hear it. The other brothers said that you are a devoted student and very zealous. We're honored to have you. We hope you can keep growing in the faith, and resist the temptations from the world. Satan will always attempt to drive you astray. Be ever vigilant, brother."

(Yes, your faith in God is growing. However, it is certainly not thanks to him or his group.)

I also wondered, how are things going with sister Mylene? Does she help you in the ministering work properly?"

"Yes she does. We've reached out to many people already. We meet new ones every day. I'm still a beginner, but she helps me improve."

"That's good. I'm glad it worked out. I know you said in the beginning you were not sure if it was proper to be that close to a woman. However, it looks like you have everything under control. I was right to trust you.

Remember to guide her properly, as well. She must follow in your lead."

(Unsurprisingly, they still view women as ticking time bombs, ready to fall into error or sin at any point, that can only be saved by submission and guidance from a man, and kept at a distance whenever possible,...)

"I had one last question for you. It's about Jovencio and James. I've noticed that you are close to them, you guys are always engaged in study and worship.

Did they... share any ideas with you that appeared odd?"

"No Elder William. Not that I recall."

"That's good. They were a little... confused as of late. Fortunately, everything fell back into place."

"Justly, concerning them. Have they already gone to Calgary? I noticed that they're not here tonight."

"Oh, no. They've gone to Saskatoon. We wanted to send just a few people there, so they volunteered. I appreciate your concern for them, though.

I will pray for you brother. You can talk to me if you have any questions or concerns. Bless you, brother."

You leave the room.

The more you think about it... the more this feels slightly odd. Why the sudden change of plans? Just at a time when it seems like something happened?

Then again, maybe it is nothing.

You go and fall asleep.

Early next morning, you go out to take a walk. You see that Mylene is already there. You tell her of what happened.

"I don't know... I couldn't say either way. That does seem a little odd."

Or are you just jumpy right now?

A) Convince Mylene not to go to Calgary, but to Saskatoon just the two of you. You want to get to the bottom of this.
B) Go with the others in the van to Calgary. Let's not fret, it's probably nothing.

baud

Arcane
Patron
not sure for this one.

I'd prefer not getting suspected too quickly, but leaving Jovencio and James behind doesn't sit right. I'll just abstain

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom