Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CYOA: Honeyman's quest

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well it's not nothing. I suppose we could use their support in exposing the group, but they are junior members like us; I don't know if it would be a very effective tactic. Then again, our goal is to create a scandal, and this could fulfil it nicely.

Now, if only we could keep a lid on it until we are done with our business in Vancouver...

A) Convince Mylene not to go to Calgary, but to Saskatoon just the two of you. You want to get to the bottom of this.

(Unsurprisingly, they still view women as ticking time bombs, ready to fall into error or sin at any point, that can only be saved by submission and guidance from a man, and kept at a distance whenever possible,...)
* betrayed by the first girl assigned to an outsider.
Gee, I wonder. :lol:

Last edited:
Repressed Homosexual
"Mylene, are you thinking the same thing as me? We can just say that we'll go to a city north of Calgary, like say Red Deer, where no brothers will be. And take a ride to Saskatoon first, before going there. They'll surely be none the wiser."

Mylene is relieved.

"Yes, it's like you're reading my mind."
"Let's get going then. See if we can find Jovencio and James, and get their side of the story."

You tell Elder William that you will travel with sister William to Red Deer. You will take a car pooling ride there, then later join the group in Calgary. You say you want to cast a wider net. He commends your initiative.

You and Mylene pack up your things and say goodbye to the brothers and sisters. Then you leave for downtown.

You look at her and say: "Let's get you a phone too."

You both enter a mall and find a store selling cheap prepaid phones. You get one for her, and activate a plan with a Sim card. You make her install the encrypted app you are using, and swap numbers.

You then tell her to contact her mother and have her install it too. This way, she can communicate a bit more. However, you say that for now, it might be better not to reveal your location. If her parents know in which city you are, you are worried that they might go on the hunt for her in a panic, before you have time to break the other members free and expose Pious.

You purchase a big power bank so you never run out of battery.

You also purchase a few groceries and basic supplies for the road.

And also normal clothes. You are sick of looking like you're from another century. You will not wear those grandfatherly clothes for longer than necessary.

Mylene is a little uncomfortable of being in public in casual clothes that show more skin. However, since she sees you are satisfied of her new clothes, she becomes satisfied and more comfortable as well.

Then you install and open a ride sharing app, which easily allows you to find other riders willing to drive people around for a reasonable fee. You easily find someone leaving for Saskatoon in a few hours. You book it.

You wait for the man in front of the Saskatoon General Hospital.

As you do... you and Mylene look at each other. Hold each other's hand. And kiss a few times.

It's obvious where things will go. Your feelings are constantly growing stronger. The next logical step would be marriage. You both are obviously growing impatient.

You wonder if you're not rushing into things. It's a very important decision, and one not to take lightly. You also do not want her to suffer, merely by close association with you.

But another part of you thinks... so what? It's not anyone else's business what we want to do. You want to offer her this, like a blanket of protection she can take refuge in.

One thing that you learned in life is that when you really want something, you have to go against all odds to get it, and never flinch.

As you are lost in your reverie, you see a Honda sports car approach. This is the right license plate. So you both embark.

You greet the man and both sit at the back and introduce yourselves. The man then starts driving to Saskatoon. It will take about three hours to get there.

The man appears to be in his early fifties. A friendly oilfield worker who is going home in Saskatoon until after the holidays, he says. He introduces himself as Rob. You start talking to him and discover he is a Christian. You explain your situation.

"Wow, I didn't know such a crazy group existed. These so-called leaders should be ashamed of themselves. They are egomaniacs, that's what they are. They have no business controlling every aspect of your lives.

Isn't it ironic that they claim your all brothers and sisters, and yet every decision has to be run by them? Think about it for a second.

You two look like a fine couple. My advice is to leave as soon as possible. Get away from their influence."

You didn't introduce yourselves as a couple, but the way you look at each other and hold hands is a dead giveaway.

Rob is right about everything. And yet, he would be dismissed as a lost heathen by the Vagrants. Not because he doesn't have good values as a Christian... but simply for casting them in a poor light.

Mylene speaks:

"We're looking for two brothers who have been sent to this city by our elder. The others are going to Alberta. But we don't know why, they were suddenly gone."

Rob thinks for a moment:

"Hmmm... you know what it sounds like to me? It sounds like that elder wanted to get rid of them, because they were becoming inconvenient. Probably because they started questioning what they were doing. So he sends them on a wild goose chase as an indirect way to be rid of them. At least, it makes sense."

Mylene replies:

"You know what's most puzzling? Elder William doesn't come as a tyrant or a manipulator, not in the least. Sure, some of what he teaches is extreme. But when you speak to him, he never accuses you. He's as gentle, kind and respectful as can be."

Rob chuckles:

"You know girl, you can sound very very nice when threatening or prying on people. But the underlying action is anything but nice, it only looks nice.

When the administrators at my company are displeased with me... they will never say a bad word to me. They'll never have me lose face... but if you read between the lines, it's obvious what they really mean."

You are discouraged. The world really is full of weasels, isn't it?

As you approach Saskatoon, the man suggests something:

"Tell you what, you two... my wife works in Fort McMurray... you know, that's a long way North of Edmonton. She won't be here until Christmas. I thought of just relaxing here and watching TV while waiting for her, but now I think I could just go there to spend more time with her.

You two are getting in deep problems, and probably could use a hand. Call me if you or your friends need to go to Alberta. I could leave you guys in Red Deer or Edmonton.

And if you need me later for something else, I could come and help you too. This sounds interesting."

You thank the man for his generous offer. He invites you to sleep in an empty room in his house, and to treat you to a meal. How nice! However, you tell him that for now, you'd prefer to have a little privacy. Which he respects.

He leaves you in downtown Saskatoon. You give him your number and tell him to add you on the encrypted app. He takes note of it, waves at you, and you both part ways.

You are now in the central business district of town. It's getting late. You see a Burger Ace, so you offer to treat Mylene to a meal.

You are both very hungry! You eat quickly.

You think to yourself how lucky you are to be with such a great girl. Especially to live out a relationship with her. Without a doubt, many other brothers and sisters are also enamored with someone else in the group and wish they could get married... unfortunately, the elders probably use the allure of a possible marriage as a mean to manipulate them into being more devoted to them, while having no intention of ever fulfilling that promise.

You look at her smile. She blushes. She truly is an angel.

You are fed up. You don't want to wait anymore.

You decide to tell her:

"Mylene... you know what... if you agree with it... let's just get it over with. Let's get married, right here."

"Really Bruno? Are you sure?"

"It can be done easily and quickly. All we need to do is to go in a governmental office with identification, sign a statutory declaration, and pay a small fee. This gives us a marriage certificate, which becomes valid the day after it is bought.

With that certificate in hand, we can find a licensed marriage clergy or commissioner to perform a marriage. Some will do it on very short notice, even the very same day.

We also need two witnesses. If brothers Jovencio and James can be convinced that the Vagrants is a cult that stole the best years of their lives and want to help us in the investigation, I will ask them if they can do us this honor."

Mylene looks surprised that you meticulously thought everything out.

"I do really want to marry you. Yes, I'm determined. Only, I would be disappointed if my parents and my brother cannot be there."

"Mylene, think of it as a technicality... so I don't draw you into an illicit situation... it's obvious that soon, we will not be able to hold on anymore. This is a pressure cooker.

Later when this is all over, we'll do a proper wedding. I'll ask Elder Bernard to preside over a symbolic ceremony. We'll invite everyone. We'll make it the most beautiful day of our lives. I promise you."

Mylene's eyes glitter with enthusiasm. You cleared the way completely.

"And Mylene, it goes even beyond this... I think it gives us the perfect opportunity to use it to help create a scandal at the synod in Vancouver.

What if a brother or sister was to accidentally "find" this marriage document just before the reunion begun? According to biblical principles, they would have to discuss the issue privately with us first. And if we refuse to see things their way, they will have to discuss it with the church.

They wouldn't just be able to sweep it under the rug. Everyone in attendance will gossip. Thus, they would have to rebuke us publicly. This will generate a great deal of controversy, because although implicitly, members must always run everything by elders and never question them... there is no scripture that forbids to grant marriage. In fact scripture allows it. They have nowhere to go. So they will have to defend themselves.

This is also obviously a sore point for many members, who for years have been wanting to marry a brother or sister, but being denied that right. It will reignite very unpleasant memories for them.

This will give us the perfect forum to expose to all the members from all the groups all the dirt we find on them, in a very public fashion, and discredit them so much that they will lose all credibility."

Mylene doesn't appear so sure:

"What if it doesn't work? What if they just kick us out and slander us to everyone? I've seen it happen before. That's what they do when they want the assembly to cut off all contacts with someone: they sully them."

"I have another weapon in my arsenal. I know a journalist who writes for the Winnipeg Times. If they want us to just leave and never come back, I'll tell them that I'll take all the dirt I found, and send it to him. Remember the story with the kidnapped girl? He made an article about this based on information I provided him.

If I ask him to, he will write a story so everyone knows them for what they really are."

"Bruno, that's true... there's nothing they hate more than publicity. They avoid it like it's a virus. They're paranoid that the state and the media are taking Satan's marching orders and are out to persecute them.

The last time someone wrote a story about parents looking for their children in the Vagrants, Brother William says that was more than ten years ago. A pretty tame article. But they're still fuming about that. Showing this as a warning not to trust anyone from the government or the media.

You thought it out well Bruno. If this works, they're done like rats.

But, that's provided that we find enough damaging evidence about their misdeeds."

"Let's have a good night's sleep. Tomorrow, we'll look for Jovencio and James. See why they went in another city. They probably know some dirt, or can give us good leads. Perhaps even investigate with us. I'm sure they want to free up the others too."

You leave the restaurant and wonder where you two will spend the night. You think that hotel rooms are not a good option right now, for obvious reasons.

However, you soon find the perfect place. And what more, it's just on the other side of the road: a youth hostel. Since it consists of stacks of beds, you'll never have too much privacy there.

You go into it. You register at the counter. Both you and Mylene are asked to show a piece of ID. Then you pay the $40 they ask for. They show you to your room.

They tell you that they'll even do your laundry for you. How nice!

They show you the living room where people are playing and watching TV. You look if by chance you wouldn't spot Jovencio or James. After all, this would be a very logical place for them to sleep.

Unfortunately, although most of the patrons seem to be young Amerindian individuals, you see no sign of James. Or Jovencio.

Then they show you your room. You find that two girls are sleeping there on nearby beds. They look at you two briefly, smile, say "hi", and then turn back to sleep.

You and Mylene take a shower, change clothes, and sleep side by side.

Tomorrow you have a long day ahead of you. Hopefully, you can find your friends.

Last edited:
Repressed Homosexual
You wake up at 8 am. You see Mylene sleeping peacefully in the next bed. The other two girls are not here anymore. You find yourself charmed by your girlfriend, adorable in her nightgown. You feel your arousal increasing... you do not think you will be able to endure this situation for much longer. You kiss her, and struggle to leave it merely at that.

"Wake up, sweetheart."

She slowly opens her eyes, delighted at the sight of you. She becomes red like a tomato yet again. It's obvious that she too, in this instant, would like to go further. But, that time has not yet come.

After all, this sleeping arrangement is really borderline already. Certainly not ideal. Hopefully, this marriage can go through soon.

You both shower up and have a change of clothes. Outside the room, you see a bag with all your dirty laundry now fully cleaned and dried, which you very much appreciate (you had left it before in a bag outside the door, as per the instructions).

Then you go downstairs in the kitchen, where a breakfast is offered for a small fee.

You go back to your room to pick up your stuff. Then you go back to the counter, and decide to book two places for one more night.

Now you both stare at each other, wondering what is the best way to find your lost friends. With Mylene, you pray that God will lead you to them.

How will you investigate?

A)Look on the campus of the University of Saskatchewan, on the other side of the river.
B)Walk in and around downtown, trying to find them.
C)Interrogate the others patrons of the youth hostel, asking if they've seen them.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
C)Interrogate the others patrons of the youth hostel, asking if they've seen them.

Repressed Homosexual
Since you picked three different answers, and I doubt anyone else will come in, I rolled a die to select one. And the result is going to the University of Saskatchewan.

You cross the bridge over the South Saskatchewan River, and keep going on road 5. After a while, you see the UoS to your left.

Unlike in Winnipeg, this looks way more like a traditional campus. Most of the buildings seem to be older constructions. And the campus is actually a space for you to explore.

Unfortunately, by such dire cold, you do not find many people outside. The few students that cross the grounds go from one building to another quickly. Sadly, you two are stuck outside!

It doesn't look like a very promising place for you to research. Still, maybe you could ask somewhere?

You look up information about the university, and find it has a pub named Louis Riel, based on the famous Metis leader from the 19th century. That name is familiar to you from your history classes, and from his popularity in your home town of Winnipeg, where he is prominently featured in museums and even has his own statue.

You wonder if this might be a good place to ask around about your friends? Or maybe you should consider one of the two earlier options?

A)Ask at the Louis Riel pub if anyone has seen your friends.
B)Walk in and around downtown, trying to find them.

Nevill

Arcane
...I was about to vote A since we got there already, but I don't want another tie, so I'll flop back to what I was voting.

Repressed Homosexual
You and Mylene make the long walk back toward the youth hostel. Not only is it very cold, unusually so for this time of the year, but there is strong wind too. As a result, it is really unbearable. You both will not be able to stand this much longer.

Finally, you see it in the horizon. Relieved at the thought of being able to warm yourselves a bit, you enter it in order to interrogate the other patrons.

Or so you thought that's what you would do. As soon as you open the door, you hear a familiar accent...

"Please, can you let us stay for the day and for tonight? We're out of money and we have nowhere to go. We can't find our friends and we're not from the area. We just need a bit of help."
"I'm sorry for your situation, but you're putting me in a very difficult spot. If I start doing it for you, I'll have to start doing it for everyone..."

It's Jovencio's voice! You step in the lobby, and you see him and James pleading to the receptionist. You came at the right time!

Poor them. They came here, only to realize that there was nobody from the group to be found. And worst of all, right in the middle of a cold wave. How Christian of brother William of having gotten rid of them in such a cowardly fashion. Your opinion of him is suddenly very low now. What a weasel! And he claims to be a Christian, and one of the handpicked few moral arbiters in the group!

"Hold on, I'll solve the issue immediately. Let me pay for their room, I know them."

Jovencio and James turn towards you. They are stunned! But definitely glad, even touched as they realize that you came to Saskatoon just for them! They no longer feel abandoned!

Definitely, you realize that going to help your brothers in need was the right situation. The Vagrant higher ups should be ashamed of themselves. This will give you excellent ammunition to use against them later. You are determined to expose their duplicity.

"Hey guys, we found it odd you were dispatched here out of the blue. We just didn't feel right to leave you behind. We'll join the group in Alberta later.

Anyway, I hope you didn't suffer too much. Let me get you a nice meal at the burger place not far away. You both more than earned it."

Jovencio and James look so happy. James looks up and thanks God for His Providence.

The four of you go have your meal. You offer to order them more burgers so they can eat later.

Then, the four of you have a discussion.

Mylene asks:

"So, apparently you've had a disagreement of some sort with brother William? He has been warning some members in case you'd have talked to them about "strange things" out of "confusion,".

James replies :

"It has been a long while, in fact. I've had doubts for a while. They claim that everything they do is based on nothing but the Bible. But I've read it several times, and over time, I noticed things in the group I just couldn't reconcile with Scripture.

A few months ago, I dared speaking about it to Jovencio. He said he noticed many of the same points as well.

We kept it to ourselves, because in the group, younger members are supposed to only share criticism with the elders, since we are "too prone to being deceived".

Finally a few days ago I couldn't hold it in anymore. We met with Brother William. I had prepared a document, and I read it out to him.

He was very warm and respectful, and polite. However, he said that we needed to be careful because it looked like Satan was trying to lead us away with "various and strange doctrines" and that the bible wasn't "subject to private interpretation". He did this while showing various passages to support his points.

He thanked us for trusting him and encouraged us to ask him if we needed further study in the future.

But ever since that point, he seems to be more suspicious of us.

We didn't think anything of it when he said he wanted us to go to Saskatoon to try to preach there... but when we arrived to the designated location, we found an empty building! And since we don't know where they went in Calgary, we're essentially stuck!"

You are extremely disappointed.

"James, can't you see you have been deceived? William did this on purpose, to get rid of you! Because he doesn't want anything that will weaken his authority! He told me that you both volunteered to come here when I asked him why you had left! He blatantly lied! And he's supposed to be an anointed man of God?"

"Well... everyone makes mistakes. Maybe he regrets his decision now. We'll just try to clear things up. Or maybe it's us who only have partial comprehension of the Bible."

You give him your phone.

"Take a look at this document, both of you..."

They start reading... they keep going and going. They are shocked... they take their bible and take multiple notes.

This lasts for almost an hour. They've become very, very pale all of a sudden. They have become avoidant.

Mylene seems like she wants to give them the final push to break them free. She says:

"I was like you two before. But Bruno helped me see that these men are mostly after power and control at all costs. They'll do anything to keep it."

They have calmed a little.

"That document was extremely convincing. It mirrored many of my concerns, and every single thing was backed up with biblical references. Many of them with explanations about the original Hebrew and Greek. This was always forbidden to us, to go to bookstores or libraries, or to search for references on the Internet."

Why are you not surprised?

"And that's not all... I have someone you need to talk to."

You call Elder Bernard once more. He spends a long time talking to Jovencio and James. He doesn't avoid any of their questions.

After the call is done, Jovencio says:

"I feel sorry for you Bruno. I led you into this. Even though I started to have doubts that what I was teaching you was right. Because I was terrified of letting the elders down. Please forgive me.

I can't do anything but admit that this was all based on a lie. These men are just manipulators."

"Yep... you took the words right out of my mouth, brother...", says James.

You then explain the rest of the situation... how you and Mylene became lovers over the last few weeks... how you now want to marry, and would like to have them as witnesses.

And how the next step will be to scour other places in Alberta, in search of ex-members who have incriminating stories to tell. So that in the Synod in Vancouver, the group can finally be revealed to all for what it is.

Jovencio says:

"Oh brother, it will be an honor! I'm so glad for the both of you! Let's take a little break and do this first and foremost. Afterwards, we'll plan out our strategy."

James: "I have ministered for the group in Alberta before. I'll definitely have some worthwhile leads to pursue."

While Jovencio and James go take a well deserved rest in their room, you take care of the formalities for the wedding. You go to a provincial office, where you easily obtain a valid certificate, valid starting tomorrow.

Then you look up marriage commissioners. After a few calls, you find Paula, who has an office nearby, and agrees to marry the both of you. You get a slot for tomorrow at 4pm, which had suddenly become available.

Once back to the hostel, you both go back to your room.Tomorrow is your big day, to you and Mylene. From tomorrow on, she will not be Mylene Meehan anymore. She will become Mylene Honeyman. For some reason, nobody else is in your room tonight, which means you can talk without bothering others.

Suddenly you think that it's not fair to marry her without having explained the situation to her parents. You tell her that maybe she should make a video call with them. You are nervous, thinking it might mean that somehow, they will get upset and things will go awry.

Mylene calls her mom on the encrypted app...

Her mom answers.

"Allô maman?"
"Oh mon Dieu Mylène, c'est toi!"
Her mother is obviously getting quite emotional, and shouts in the room, telling her husband Patrick and Mylene's brother Ben to come. You then see Mylene's father, who wears thin black glasses and is partly bald, coming up on the screen. He is overjoyed.

"Mylene my dear! It is really you! I thought I would never see you again until you contacted your mom the other time! I've wanted to see your face again for so long!"

Then, Ben steps up.

"Mylene, finally you broke out from that cult?"

Then Mylene tells them a bit of what went on in the cult, how they instilled in her an hostile view of outsiders and kept her under strict control. But you joined in order to help free someone else, and helped her discover what was going on in the process.

"His name is Bruno, we're in a relationship now."

Patrick speaks:

"Is Bruno here? Can we speak to him?"

(You thought this might happen. Still, you panic. What if they're just freaked out by you? What if they want you to just let her go? Or maybe they'll be thankful instead.

You think you were less nervous when you had Lance pointing a gun at you, and knew he could pull the trigger at any time.)

Mylene stares at you, looking for your approval. Although you are apprehensive, you nod. Then she turns your phone toward you.

You hold it, and Patrick stares at you. Your father in law to be actually doesn't look intimidating at all. He look benevolent and kind. You feel less tense now.

"We're very grateful for you, young man. We despaired of ever seeing Mylene alive again. We didn't know what that cult was doing to her."

"I'm pleased to meet you Mr. Meehan. I can say the cult didn't ruin her. I told her I would never let it happen. She emerged from it with good values and a good heart, which I've no doubt come from you and your wife."

Then it's Sylvie's turn (Mylene's mom).

"Oh my, what a handsome young man!"

( Urrrgh!!! How uncomfortable!)

"Sorry, sorry. I'm glad you've helped our daughter. But what is going on now, exactly?"

(You explain to them that we are consorting with other disgruntled members to try to find out information about the cult. There is an upcoming synod in a month, and you plan to use the occasion to try to expose Pious to the entire church. Then afterwards you plan to have Mylene return to Ottawa.)

"Do you think it is safe to do that? And where are you right now?"

"Mrs. Meehan, and Mr. Meehan too... so far, I've been a little reluctant in telling you our precise location. Maybe I thought wrong, but I guess I just imagined a worst case scenario, where upon learning where we were, you would come get Mylene in a panic to bring her back home."

"Bruno, we parents love our children so much, that we would do anything to make sure they are free from harm. But as I see that she has come back to her senses, and if you tell me that you will keep her safe, then I won't object to it.

I suppose that she has bonded a lot with these people over time. So many other young people are held captive by Pious... and all of them have parents, siblings and friends too.

So I support what you are doing."

"You are right Mrs. Meehan. I ache for them, they are good people.

I also wanted to tell you..."

(now comes the really difficult part...)

"... that we came to a decision concerning us. We're... getting married."

"Oh wow, that's so sudden! When?"

"... tomorrow."

"Oh really???"

(They all appear shocked).

"Well... we bonded over our trials to get out of the group... and later, to find some missing brothers who have been deliberately led astray. This has been an intense experience. We want to keep finding more evidence of the group's misbehavior, because we know that in a month, in Vancouver, there will be a synod with the entire group. We see that as golden opportunity to expose their corruption to help members break free.

So this situation will make it so that me and Mylene will have to spend a lot of time together... so I want to make sure that I don't... put her into an improper situation... if you get my drift."

(That was the single most awkward conversation in your entire life...)

"Oh, I see. Well, where are you? Can we come to the wedding?"

(You didn't think of that. Maybe it can work).

"We're in Saskatoon right now. The wedding is tomorrow at 4pm. After that, we're going to Alberta to pursue our investigations."

Patrick then comes to the phone.

"Listen Bruno, if this is what my daughter wants, and if you promise to make her happy, then so be it. I'll go ahead and book three tickets to Saskatoon right now leaving tomorrow morning, so that we can make it."

Mylene, after having let you handle the conversation for a while (including all the difficult parts), finally speaks:

"I'm so glad that you'll be there. There will also be two brothers who have joined the "resistance", who will be our witnesses. But that's just all so we can be married and be done with it in these circumstances. Later on we'll make a proper ceremony and invite everyone.

Mom and dad, I'm so glad for your trust. Bruno really respected me and really has a good heart. He's gradually becoming a God-fearing man as well.

After we're done with the synod in Vancouver, I'll go back to Ottawa. Bruno has business to attend to all over the country, and he will join us later."

Ben, who hadn't spoken much so far, finally chimes in:

"Mylene, I didn't know you would arrive suddenly with a brother in law! I'm just glad that you're safe and happy. Hopefully, tomorrow can be a happy day. We all need a break from the pain we've been through."

After this exhausting, but satisfying conversation, you go to sleep. Mylene goes to a bed farther away. The room is still all empty.

Well, that went well. And you will have guests too. Obviously, these are good people. You were just a little guarded, maybe understandably so. Ultimately, the more, the merrier.

You are nervous... after an hour of being worried of whatever could go wrong, you fall asleep.

The morning of your big day finally comes. You're still nervous and decide that you will not do anything else today, until the time comes for the wedding. After the breakfast, you get one more night for Jovencio and James. But as for you and Mylene, you will go to the hotel tonight.

You spend the morning discussing with both of them and Mylene. You all do some bible reading and studying to change your mind. But thankfully, this time without having to fear disagreeing with the elders.

Over the course of the morning, some of the other young people in the hostel come close to you to listen to your discussion. Some even ask if they can study with you. Ultimately, you all have an edifying conversation.

When noon passes, you get a call. It's Sylvie, who says they've arrived at the John Diefenbaker airport. They're going to eat at one of the best restaurants in town and are inviting you. They say to also bring the two brothers.

The four of you head to the restaurant to wait in front of it. After a few minutes, you see a taxi stopping. Then, Patrick, Sylvie, and Ben come out. Mylene has an emotional reunion with her family at last.

You are very nervous. You talked to them, but still fear that something could go wrong. Then, Mrs and Mr Meehan come to you.

Patrick Meehan shakes your hand "I'm so glad to meet you, Bruno!"

Then, you greet Sylvie, and finally Ben.

It's nice that they're here, but it's disappointing it has to be in such a cold place. You'd definitely be in Vancouver already if you could, where there is no snow or ice and it is warm all year long, unlike in the other parts of Canada.

All of you enter the restaurant. You have a succulent meal. You've only had the bare minimum for weeks, so it is welcome. Jovencio and James, who have been at it for a few years, seem to especially enjoy it. You realize how much deprivation of all the small pleasures that we take for granted they've had to endure.

You then discuss for a few hours. Mostly, it consists of Jovencio, James and Mylene sharing stories of what life in the group was like. Patrick, Sylvie and Ben now have a better understanding of where they're coming from.

You are more discreet this time... mainly because you are scared that admitting your ordeal with a dangerous group like the Skull Riders could scare them away. Only Mylene knows, but she doesn't say a word of it either.

Is this dishonest?... maybe not. After all, Scripture says that "there is a time for everything". When that time comes, you will be more forthcoming.

You tell yourself that today is a day of reprieve and happiness. You've earned it. Everyone has.

After they are done, the Meehans go to check in in their hotel room. You and Mylene also check in in yours and bring your stuff over. Jovencio and James go back to the hostel.

Then... 4pm finally looms near. Nervously, you and Mylene walk toward the commissioner's office. You, and everyone else, enters. A kind woman who looks to be in her fifties or so greets you. It's Paula, whom you talked to yesterday.

You explain the situation.

Patrick chimes in:

"I didn't know it was possible to get married so fast! It's pretty amazing that those types of services exist!"

Paula chuckles.

"Oh you've seen nothing, sir. I even offered drive-in services at some point!"

Soon, the ceremony starts. You exchange vows, in front of Paula. And rings, which you obtained from the nearby mall. She declares you, Bruno, and her, Mylene, husband and wife. You kiss. Everyone applauds.

It might not be the most glamorous wedding in the world... but it's yours, and it's all that matters.

Afterwards, every witness signs the marriage document and Paula does too. She will send it to the government, and later, your official copy will be sent to the address at Patrick's and Sylvie's house in Ottawa.

Still, both of you are now legally wed, and Mylene has now become Mrs. Honeyman.

As none of you are hungry for now due to the copious meal from earlier, you decide to kill time by going to a nearby sports bar to celebrate. Everyone has a good time, drinking and feasting the evening away. James is the only one who abstains from drinking alcohol. Due to him being Amerindian, he knows it would do him no good.

Then it finally is time to part ways. You thank everyone. You take a taxi to your hotel room.

Then finally enjoy your first night of passion with your splendid, adoring new wife.

Yet... you do not feel fundamentally like anything has changed. You've not changed. She's just now part of your life, and that's it. Although, that's a very good thing.

On the next morning, when encountering her parents at a restaurant for a breakfast, you have difficulty staring at them, due to the new ground you have broken. Patrick and Ben find it funny and chuckle.

You have another good group conversation together. You lead the meal with prayer.

After that, it finally is time for her family to go back to Ottawa. They find it painful to leave her behind. But, they seem rejuvenated of having made contact with her again. They leave her in your care, and leave for the airport.

You decide to contact Rob. He is glad you called back. He offers to drive with you to Alberta if you give him a few hours of preparation. During this time, you plan your strategy with Jovencio and James.

You get them both a prepaid phone and help them install the encrypted app so you can all communicate with ease when you are eventually separated in different cities.

Then you start your discussion...

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was about to write A, but that'd be another split, so C. Downtown we'd face the same issue as in the University

sorry, I hadn't seen the post above

Repressed Homosexual
"So James, let's hear it. What are you proposing we do?"
"I remember that I've been on "home visit" with someone who used to be a member of the church. A man in his mid-twenties named Lester Smout. His parents lived in Red Deer.

Members are encouraged to cut ties with family, but for those who miss them, sporadic contact is allowed, under supervision. I was the one who accompanied him so he could meet his parents. I stayed there for a weekend. I still remember where they live (he points to the location on a map in Red Deer).

I know that guy left at some point and the others didn't really want to talk about it, but it went quite badly. So, I thought that going there and questioning their parents might give us some useful info. Maybe he lives there, too. Maybe they can put you in contact with him.

I think you and Mylene stand a better chance. His mom might be freaked out if I show up. I've acted as a minder in their own home.

While you two do that, we will drop in Edmonton and with Jovencio, I will follow some leads of my own. I don't know if there will be Vagrants there, it's possible, so we'll do our best to keep a low profile. We will keep in touch with you and contact you when we find out more."

Satisfied, you say:

"Awesome. We will see what we can find out in Red Deer, then later we will come to join you in Edmonton. I'm supposed to meet a man there in less than two weeks. Someone that I've been looking for for a long time. Then we can help you out there or look up new leads."

Rob is intrigued. Edmonton is first on the road, then he will go south to Red Deer. Only afterwards will be go all the way North to Fort McMurray, a trip that will take a really long time. You realize he is really doing you all a big favor.

"Sounds exciting. Let me know if you still need me after. I'm glad to see you two have also broken out from the cult too."

Jovencio says:

"That's not all. These two have even married, while we were in Saskatoon! So they're actually newlyweds!"

(Thanks for putting us on the spot, Jovencio...)

Rob: Wait, WHAT???

He looks completely stunned.

Rob: well, whatever, it's your choice. I already thought you two made a fine couple. I'm really glad for you two.

Saskatoon is kind of a strange place to get married at though. It's not too pleasant to have an honeymoon in the freezing cold.

You say: we'll go to Vancouver eventually, for our final showdown with the group. After that, I suppose this will be a good place for us to finally have a honeymoon.

Rob: it just inspires me to see you two together. All four of you, in fact. You're all so determined to come through for each other. The world would be a better place if more people were like you.

You all keep driving on the way to Edmonton. Rob offers you to get whatever food you want. You can't really turn his invitation down, can you?

As the evening draws closer, you finally see signs telling you that Edmonton is a short distance away. Rob will leave "J&J" downtown.

Since they are out of money and are about to really give you a hand, when Rob stops to fuel up along the way, you withdraw $1000, that you give to them. You want to make sure they lack nothing and that they never have to be cast out in the cold again.

Just as you get closer to downtown Edmonton, you receive a message on the encrypted app. You look at it... and find out that Patrick Meehan has sent you a very long message.

"Dear Bruno, again, I want to thank you so much for rescuing our daughter. We are forever in your debt for this. I had many nights where I despaired of ever seeing her again, thinking she might have died. This might've eventually come true, had she stayed with the Vagrants, or she might have wasted much more of her life. We were also delighted of meeting you and your friends. Although we didn't expect our daughter to get married, and certainly not so fast, we saw how serious you were about her, which eases our concerns.

I did notice something about you. Be assured, I do not want to make you feel like I am thinking you are up to no good. I saw the sincerity in your eyes.

However, I also saw what appeared to be a timid, avoidant man, carrying scars or a dark past. I do not know exactly what is this business of yours what has you traveling across Canada, or why you attempted to join the Vagrants on purpose.

I would like to know the whole story. I guarantee you that you can trust me with it and that I will not judge you. If you feel that it is best not to talk about it, I would fully respect it, and rest assured that nothing will change between us. I will not talk about this to Sylvie or Ben.

I just wonder if I might not be able to help you. If you face a big problem, you simply cannot face it all by yourself.

Patrick"

Well, that was unexpected.

You want Patrick to be able to see you for who you are and know the whole story. You can always use more help. You have met him and trust him. But you are worried of him getting involved. However admittedly, you are not sure what kind of help he is talking about.

A)"Ok Patrick, Mylene already knows the entire story. Here it is..."
B)"I'm sorry Patrick, right now I just can't."

Repressed Homosexual
James is the only one who abstains from drinking alcohol. Due to him being Amerindian, he knows it would do him no good.
Wait, what?

It's well known that Amerindians, especially those from Northern tribes, cannot handle drinking alcohol at all. It's genetic, it drives them violent and mad. On many northern reservations, the sale of alcohol is banned.

As such it makes no sense for the character to drink alcohol with the others. He doesn't want to risk taking even one glass.

Repressed Homosexual
You show the message to Mylene. She takes a few minutes to read it. Then she simply looks at you and smiles tenderly. As if to say "Learn to trust people more, Bruno."

You are still nervous, but as Rob drops J&J in downtown Edmonton, and then starts the drive toward Red Deer, you start writing a long answer. Patrick has been kind towards you, and Mylene, his daughter who probably takes from him, also accepted you for who you are. Surely, you have nothing to fear.

You press the send button.

After 30 minutes, you receive a reply:

"Thanks for your honesty, Bruno. You've been very brave of answering me and revealing all. Your life has been far more difficult than I could've thought. You've been aimless and without family for almost your entire life. And you definitely have been involved with very dangerous people.

Still, your motives seem selfless and pure.

I want to reiterate that you cannot take on a dangerous gang by yourself. That's the worst mistake you can make. Sooner or later, your luck will run out.

I'm sorry I can't enter into specifics, but look for a call from someone I know that will probably come within the next few days.

You're already family to me. Once everything is over, all of us will do our best to give you the family support that you never had.

Do you best and do not lose hope."

Well, Patrick didn't disappoint. You look at Mylene and smiles. She guesses that everything went well. You only hope that he will keep his word and not tell anything to Sylvie, who might be more prone to worrying.

Still, what's this all about a phone call? You really have no idea what this is about. Who is this person who might contact you? Still, you decide not to worry about it for now.

Afterwards, you arrive to Red Deer, a small midsized town, located roughly halfway between Edmonton and Calgary. Rob waves at you, repeats that you can contact him at any time if you need help, and leaves.

It is very late so you two find a hotel. You enjoy private time with your favorite woman in the world for one more night.

You are exhausted and tired. Right now, you are tempted to simply forget about anything else. To simply enjoy a life of bliss with Mylene. You wish you could be alone with her, forever. But you know that the pain of others would keep gnawing at you. You don't want to let them down.

On the next day, you and Mylene go to Lester's house. Dressed in regular clothes, of course. You do not know exactly what to expect.

You knock on the door...

After a while, a woman in her mid-fifties with long curly hair opens the door.

"Yes?"
Mylene: sorry ma'am for the bother. We're former members of the Vagrants who left the group. We're looking for others who sid the same to rekindle with them and offer support. I believe that you have a son named Lester who is also an ex-member? Can we talk to him?"

The woman looks sad and troubled.

"Just leave me alone, please. Thank you."

She then closes the door.

How disappointing. But why did she react like this?

A)Come back to tomorrow.
B)Knock again.
C)Leave a message with your phone number in the mailbox.

Nevill

Arcane
You look at Mylene and smiles.
"smile"
Mylene: sorry ma'am for the bother. We're former members of the Vagrants who left the group. We're looking for others who sid the same to rekindle with them and offer support. I believe that you have a son named Lester who is also an ex-member? Can we talk to him?"
"did". Also, "Mylene:" could probably be replaced by a quotation mark, which is missing.

How disappointing. But why did she react like this?
Because you are members of the cult looking to drag her son in trouble again, duh.

C)Leave a message with your phone number in the mailbox.

Repressed Homosexual

Nevill

Arcane
If a man comes to you and introduces himself as a former serial killer, how much would that put you at ease?
They only have our word for it... and to be fair, we haven't actually left; we are only planning to do so.

She wants to have nothing to do with the cult, be it current, former or future members. Maybe her son would feel differently, hence the message and a different MO from cultists who would try again and again even knowing they aren't welcome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom