Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

Misconnected

Savant
I like this picture. These guys look like they could pose a threat to low-level adventurers, and are a lot more appealing to me than Paizo's idiotic comedy goblins.
D&D greenskins have always looked like ass. Probably because their design foundations were laid by people who couldn't really paint, and couldn't take the subject seriously. Quite unlike Warhammer greenskins, who ironically are a much less serious affair, fluff-wise.

Alchemist

Arcane
WotC posted some Monster stats from the Starter Set:
CPNJjeM.jpg

Main thing I don't like about the samples so far is that crinkled paper / coffee stain motif they have going in the layout, usually around the pictures. It serves no purpose and just looks awkward.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Stats are more complicated than I'd prefer, but fairly easy to parse, and compact enough to fit on business cards or something similar.

[edit]Layout is nice and clean too.

Last edited:

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Exactly what D&D needs - more HP bloat! I can't wait to spend hours whittling down a 7 HD ogre at level 2!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
59hp with that ac, the ogre won't last long. Of coruse, it will kill PCs quick too. That said, if you are facing a 7HD Ogre at level 2... uhh... you are in toruble. But, it shouldn'y take hours though. L0L That fight seems quick and painful for both sides.

J1M

Arcane
I really don't understand what that "white paper behind a creature" is doing as part of the layout. Ideas?

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
MxXIBUX.jpg

Now this is special.

Here we have a CR 1/2 creature. It has 2 hit dice, AC 18, and will do 1d8+8 damage in a typical round. Two of these guys will likely TPK a first-level party.

Also notice that none of the monsters we've seen have skills listed. Once again, PCs aren't intended to interact with them in any way except combat.

The more I see of 5E, the more I think that Mike Mearls has just been fucking around for three years and has no idea what he's doing.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Pretty much. It's why I prefer Pathfinder.
Every fucking enemy has skills, can be interacted with in a meaningful way, and is certainly better built than these fucking things.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Aren't 5e skills basically based on ability score checks? I have not been following development that closely.

Also, players can interact with monsters just fine outside combat even if you don't list the skills of every goblin, gnoll and goat-man. People have been doing it since 1974 and all that.

Alchemist

Arcane
The Nothic has skills listed. I think they are focusing on listing only relevant stats for each monster, and the design paradigm is going to be more stripped-down and old-school compared to 3E / Pathfinder / 4E. At least in the beginning, before they add the optional levels of crunch the core books will supposedly have. Remember this is still just the simplified Starter Set they're showing, aimed at beginners.

And like Melan says - meaningful interaction with monsters is up to the creativity of the players and DM, not dependent on a stat block. We did just fine without skill lists in early D&D / AD&D.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Also notice that none of the monsters we've seen have skills listed. Once again, PCs aren't intended to interact with them in any way except combat.
Actually, skills are now just a special case of an ability check. So when you're rolling Perception, you're actually rolling Wis + a proficiency bonus if you're skilled. So, quite the opposite than you thought really, ALL monsters can interact and be interacted with in all sorts of manners with abilities. Skills are only there to underline when a monster / NPC is particularly skilled at something beyond his abilities. Much less bloat.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"you're actually rolling Wis + a proficiency bonus if you're skilled."

That's not new. It's how its worked since proficiencies existed. LMAO

J1M

Arcane
"you're actually rolling Wis + a proficiency bonus if you're skilled."

That's not new. It's how its worked since proficiencies existed. LMAO
I think he was trying to express that the bonus will cap out at around +6 instead of +24, making the influence of ability modifiers much more important than in the past.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Now this is special.

Here we have a CR 1/2 creature. It has 2 hit dice, AC 18, and will do 1d8+8 damage in a typical round. Two of these guys will likely TPK a first-level party.

How many hit points do 1st level characters have, though? In 4E, couldn't you have a 1st level character with, like, 40 HP?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Now this is special.

How many hit points do 1st level characters have, though? In 4E, couldn't you have a 1st level character with, like, 40 HP?
5-15 or so depending on class and stats, so getting hit by those hobgoblins could really hurt. But with only +3 to hit the hobgoblins will miss more often than they hit.

2 of these vs a level 1 party should be a good fight, but the players should win unless they let the hobgobs gang up on the squishies. As always, spells and abilities that restrict movement are golden against any enemies that want to fight in formation.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Gotta sell you more shit. Now I'm getting flashbacks...

uxaAnkJ.jpg

Although I suspect they won't make the same fatal mistake of charging $100 for the very basic set of things you need to play the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom