Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
WotC is looking for a new lead editor for D&D:

http://company.wizards.com/about/careers/lead-editor-dd-job-renton-wa-us?careers-view=1

QUALIFICATIONS

10,000 hours of game play and experience.

If you've played a 5-hour session every week since D&D was invented, you just might be qualitifed!
It doesn't say D&D experience, just game play. Most codexians are probably qualified.

A bit scary that they're looking for a new lead editor just as 5E is about to be released, and that nobody on the current team can be promoted to fill the role....

J1M

Arcane
WotC is looking for a new lead editor for D&D:

http://company.wizards.com/about/careers/lead-editor-dd-job-renton-wa-us?careers-view=1

QUALIFICATIONS

10,000 hours of game play and experience.

If you've played a 5-hour session every week since D&D was invented, you just might be qualitifed!
It doesn't say D&D experience, just game play. Most codexians are probably qualified.

A bit scary that they're looking for a new lead editor just as 5E is about to be released, and that nobody on the current team can be promoted to fill the role....
The lead editor role is probably just for maintaining the product line. If 5e is a success, by corporate logic those responsible should be quickly transitioned to reviving the yugioh product line.

Also, the 10k hours is only there because someone in HR read malcolm gladwell's shitty popsci book.

Alchemist

Arcane
Hah! Melan you beat me by 1 minute - was just about to post. Anyway, 100 pages of rules - apparently more than just character creation. Nice! Looking forward to digging into it.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm thinking of writing a quick, dodgy mish-mash of a mini-setting for it, then getting a bunch of friends together and kicking off a campaign to see how it goes. Started a txt file with ideas...
  • Irnak - icy-faced wyvern-riding soldiers in black armour
  • The Pyramid of FORCE - mystical wasteland
  • Castle Sullog - the ancient nest of the sullogs
  • Forest of Tears - where the trees weep, and Evil lurks below the rotted leves
  • Granite Keep - the temple of Kulrak, hewn from rough stones
...that kind of stuff. Then, a map and mini-adventures.

Incantatar

Cipher
Meh.

• After a fight a PC has 1HP left. He stands watch for 2 hours, then sleeps 6 hours and he has all his max HP restored. That is after first level. At first level he restores not a single HP.
  • A 6 STR character can push, pull and drag 180 lbs. A 10 STR character can do the same with 300 lbs (136kg). Deadlifting a 136kg stone is average strength for women and trannies in D&D5e. Can you deadlift a 136kg stone? :D
  • 6 different saving throws. For what? The spells i saw had wis or dex saving throws.
  • Electrum coins. Really?
  • Instant healing for Fighters (1d10+lvl). One hour of fucking around in which he can "spend" his HD to heal and the Fighter can insta heal again. This mmo-mechanic is just stupid and breaks muh immarsion.
  • A lvl 1 Wizard can hurl around 1d10 dmg Fire Bolts 24/7 burning everything in his path.
  • General HP-bloat.
  • A 3.5/PF Fighter has a lot more options than a 5e Fighter. E.g. no more charging and attacking.
What i like is the rogue, the (super nerfed) concentration spellcasting and that role-playing for newbs is encouraged with the personality/background/ideals thing. But all in all D&D5e is uninspired and dissapointing after an even more dissapointing 4th edition.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
  • A 6 STR character can push, pull and drag 180 lbs. A 10 STR character can do the same with 300 lbs (136kg). Deadlifting a 136kg stone is average strength for women and trannies in D&D5e. Can you deadlift a 136kg stone? :D

I don't think you recognize the difference between deadlifting and push / pull / dragging something. People can usually push / pull / drag a lot more than they can deadlift. It really depends on their weight but even knowing the basic of Newton's Laws you can figure that out somewhat. Get a little bit of motion and bump into a heavy object and it can slide across the floor even without wheels. I'm sure most people have moved something their body weight or more even if it's only a short distance at a time.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
After a fight a PC has 1HP left. He stands watch for 2 hours, then sleeps 6 hours and he has all his max HP restored. That is after first level. At first level he restores not a single HP.
Yeah that's not good for every kind of campaign. But then again, there's supposed to be multiple different recovery rules for different play styles, in the DMG I think. The HP bloat might be a problem though. Thought they were going away from this after 4e.

Misconnected

Savant
HP bloat has been a staple of every edition of A/D&D. Why would they abandon something that's evidently beloved by the playerbase?

EDIT: As for the lifting thing, it's probably just another indication that D&D has dropped realism. From a balance standpoint it makes perfect sense if the system still uses as wide a spread of Ability Scores as ever.

Alchemist

Arcane
  • A 3.5/PF Fighter has a lot more options than a 5e Fighter. E.g. no more charging and attacking.
These are just the Basic rules. I'm pretty sure more tactical options are coming with the full ruleset in the PHB / DMG.

J1M

Arcane
After a fight a PC has 1HP left. He stands watch for 2 hours, then sleeps 6 hours and he has all his max HP restored. That is after first level. At first level he restores not a single HP.
Yeah that's not good for every kind of campaign. But then again, there's supposed to be multiple different recovery rules for different play styles, in the DMG I think. The HP bloat might be a problem though. Thought they were going away from this after 4e.
That is not correct. It looks like Incantatar got himself confused between hit points and hit dice (which are used regain hit points during short rests).

Incantatar

Cipher
That is not correct. It looks like Incantatar got himself confused between hit points and hit dice (which are used regain hit points during short rests).
Yes, you're right.

I don't think you recognize the difference between deadlifting and push / pull / dragging something. People can usually push / pull / drag a lot more than they can deadlift. It really depends on their weight but even knowing the basic of Newton's Laws you can figure that out somewhat. Get a little bit of motion and bump into a heavy object and it can slide across the floor even without wheels. I'm sure most people have moved something their body weight or more even if it's only a short distance at a time.
If that is the case the numbers are almost meaningless aren't they? The resistance of the friction is pretty much everything then.

Last edited:

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Anyone played this shit yet? How does it play like? Is the combat significantly faster than 4e? Because if it's not I'm not going to bother.

Dorateen

Arcane
Why? THAC0 is mechanically the same, but it's more confusing, and it takes longer to subtract then it does to add.

For me, starting with Dungeons & Dragons role-playing, To Hit Armor Class 0 brings back fond memories. It was unique to this brand of gaming. It falls under the archaic nature that should be part of the experience. No where else do you have tables to consult, and formulas to play out in odrer to execute certian actions (scoring a hit on an enemy). The concept of negative integers, both in THAC0 and Armor Class ratings, gave flavor to the mechanics of D&D. More than a few players must be comfortable with it, or even enjoy it, for WotC to include this optional content. The main reason is to make conversion of earlier modules more fluent. I believe the purpose of 5th edition is to make any version of the ruleset a viable possibility. I'm already seeing a number of older players applauding this direction.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom