Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

Alchemist

Arcane
Digital toolset / app confirmed: http://www.codenamemorningstar.com/

You found us! Now roll for insight.

Hello, my name is Evan Newton, and I am the Producer for Codename: Morningstar.

We are a small group of artists, designers, and engineers who have the honor of building a powerful set of digital tools, in partnership with Wizards of the Coast, for the fifth edition of the Dungeons & Dragons Tabletop Roleplaying Game®.

So what exactly is Codename: Morningstar?

Codename: Morningstar is an integrated toolset and rules knowledgebase for Dungeon Masters and players. It combines rules, character sheets, and adventures together into a clean interface that allows fast and easy management of a face-to-face game. But, to be honest, that’s not all it will offer.

Here are just a few of a large list of features we’re developing:

• A powerful and customizable character sheet
  • Fast, guided, character creation
  • Adventure management and tracking as a DM
  • Party communications between players
  • Simple rules search, bookmarking, and annotations
  • Online or offline play
In addition, I’m excited to share that (once the tool launches) all the latest D&D adventures and content will be available to download as they are released, simultaneously with the physical versions.

Our goal with this toolset is to make it simple and powerful. As huge fans ourselves, we want Codename: Morningstar to be as flexible as possible while preserving the essence of the D&D® tabletop roleplaying experience. We can’t wait to let you play with it.

However, the truth is, we need your help. In order for us to bring you the best companion to your game, we need your thoughts and suggestions. How do you play? If you had the chance to design a digital tool for fifth edition, what would you want?

Let us know what you think through Twitter and Facebook. I’ve got more updates coming up very soon, including an FAQ and information on how to sign up for our Beta program. For now, let’s dream about how to reinvent tabletop gaming.

Evan Newton

PvoKfEk.png

J1M

Arcane
It's a starter set...

EDIT: Artwork in the first few pages of the starter set looks pretty good.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
It's a starter set...
That it is, but it's still missing a lot of important and iconic spells. What happened to mirror image, and why was something called misty step deemed more important? What if no one wants to play a gimp rogue, and we need to find traps and knock doors open? Where's haste, FFS?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There's no message, which was the most useful cantrip in pathfinder in my experience.

Alchemist

Arcane
Well the Basic PDF might have the full range of iconic spells. I'm pretty sure the Starter Set is meant to be a simplified set of options to make it easier for new players.

J1M

Arcane
It's a starter set...
That it is, but it's still missing a lot of important and iconic spells. What happened to mirror image, and why was something called misty step deemed more important? What if no one wants to play a gimp rogue, and we need to find traps and knock doors open? Where's haste, FFS?
It is designed to work with the 5 pre-generated characters. It will instruct you to download the free Basic D&D PDF for more options.

One of the primary goals of the starter set is to not overwhelm people with tons of information.

Stuff like huge spell lists and in-depth character creation are great, but nobody most new players don't want to invest the time to learn an entire system before they decide if it is fun or not.

Alex

Arcane

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
"Reports indicate that part of out audience was very upset that even after spending more than 100 dollars on D&D products, they still didn't understood older player's THAC0 jokes. This consumer profile can't stand not being "in" every geek culture that exists, so we decided to add a sidebar on THAC0 and use it as one of the selling points for D&D 5th."

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"Reports indicate that part of out audience was very upset that even after spending more than 100 dollars on D&D products, they still didn't understood older player's THAC0 jokes. This consumer profile can't stand not being "in" every geek culture that exists, so we decided to add a sidebar on THAC0 and use it as one of the selling points for D&D 5th."
:stupid:

J1M

Arcane
That type of sidebar is mostly for converting older content.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

Because adding a "digital comapnion" worked so well for D&D4E :roll:

It's a starter set...

Fuck Mirror Image. Where's my Grease, Glitterdust and Summon Monster!? :x

tuluse

Arcane
Actually, I can totally understand why they would avoid summon spells for a noob player list. They probably have enough trouble with one character to control.

Alchemist

Arcane

Because adding a "digital comapnion" worked so well for D&D4E :roll:
Yeah but times are different now. A lot more people use tablets / phones at the table now. Also the digital stuff isn't what killed 4E, it was the system design that did it. Too far removed from previous editions, alienating most of their previous fan base.

https://twitter.com/christulach/status/477516682316247040
Mike wrote a sidebar on THAC0 for the DMG! DMG will be more like a "hackers guide" to the game.
Well, this is...something. It's not something good, but it's something. I guess if you want to make your game pointlessly confusing, Mike Mearls has you covered.
I'm almost certain THAC0 is in there to court the die-hard 2E crowd. And like J1M says, to ease conversion of 2E materials.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
More sample art from the Starter Set:
qmCyoyK.jpg
I like this picture. These guys look like they could pose a threat to low-level adventurers, and are a lot more appealing to me than Paizo's idiotic comedy goblins.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom