Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State
All RangerBoo's observations would mean is that other fans shared my feelings. Hopefully there are enough millennials and rainbow brigadiers to make up for the turned off fans, but much like other hobbies, I expect there are not.

https://screenrant.com/dungeons-dragons-best-year-sales-ever-wizards-coast/

That is the problem, they are able to get away with this because you don't matter. Grognards don't buy DnD materials, they havn't since either 3rd edition or since Pathfinder overtook 3.5. Loss from scorning old fans is negligible, get woke go broke does not apply to WotC sadly.

I don't think that's necessarily true in the way you're implying. Not because serious grognards didn't behave the way you mention, but because that's from 2019, it's nearly 2022 and RangerBoo was talking about book releases since then. 2019 was around the height of Critical Role and such that really pushed 5E with younger people. The question is what's happened since then and has that momentum continued on? Articles from two years ago don't tell us that, but anecdotally there seems to be more backlash lately because the stuff to be complained about is more out there stupid rather than simply edition wars which go all the way back to the release of 2E.

https://gamedaily.biz/article/2075/dungeons-dragons-had-its-best-year-ever-in-2020
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/13/dungeons-dragons-had-its-biggest-year-despite-the-coronavirus.html
https://www.geekwire.com/2021/hasbr...-big-growth-dungeons-dragons-magic-gathering/
https://www.wsj.com/articles/dungeons-dragons-gets-a-bigger-role-at-hasbro-11614254403

It is just not stopping. There is no boycott, on the contrary, DnD surges through the coof and carries Hasbro singlehandedly while all of their other brands falter.
We must face it, DnDs new young publicum does not care about woke at best, and probably actively welcomes it. And they are very willing to vote with their wallet.
Here is the thing though. Late 2019 through mid 2021 was the height of the "unknown virus of unspecified origin" pandemic. As such people spent a ton of money on stuff to do while stuck indoors. I know that Joann Fabrics, Michaels and other crafts stores had their best years be 2019-2021. As did Barnes & Noble and many books stores. It is not a surprise that D&D did gangbusters during those years. However, things are starting to change. Midterms are coming up and the Demoncrats are going to lessen their restrictions soon in order to trick morons to vote for them. As such people are going to start going back to outdoor activities and spend less time doing indoor ones. Also, we are about to go into a recession which means that people won't be spending money on hobbies as much. Another reason people are going over to OSR is because the Critical Role fanbase have become insufferable for many. They tard rage hard if the players and DM's don't play the same way as Mercer and his crew do and it got to the point that Mercer had to come out and tard wrangle his fans to stop and tell them that everyone's playstyle is different. They are right up there with Rick & Morty fans at their height. Don't ever think that a company is too big to fall. Look what happened to Blizzard and Tumblr. There is always the high before the fall.

Last edited:

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
For a bunch of elitists who proclaim to be so far above the "normies" you lot sure do seem to be very concerned about the mainstream publisher publishing shit. I would have thought somebody as smart as you all present yourselves to be would be able to adapt, adjust, or choose one of the many "old-school" alternatives to play?
We do. I don't play 5e.

Does that mean we can't read about the new stuff and laugh at it? Does that mean normie friends haven't invited me to play this new garbage?

Or are you concerned about the fact that the LFG posts on Roll20 all list as LGBT+ and wheelchair friendly nowadays, because you're all so insufferable you can't find a non-"normie" group to play with elsewhere?
For a faggot, you sure seem to spend a lot of time on a racist, bigoted RPG website. :M

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
For a bunch of elitists who proclaim to be so far above the "normies" you lot sure do seem to be very concerned about the mainstream publisher publishing shit. I would have thought somebody as smart as you all present yourselves to be would be able to adapt, adjust, or choose one of the many "old-school" alternatives to play?

Or are you concerned about the fact that the LFG posts on Roll20 all list as LGBT+ and wheelchair friendly nowadays, because you're all so insufferable you can't find a non-"normie" group to play with elsewhere?

Xir's gone off the deep fucking end :lol:

RangerBoo

Arcane
Another thing that is telling me that things may be going through a change is what is happening to Netflix and Apple right now. Netflix and Apple just recently are firing all their woke, activists employees because they are too much of a liability. Netflix just fired a bunch of trannies for trying to cancel the GOAT Dave Chappelle. Apple just recently fired a bunch of feminists in their company that was creating a #MeToo ring. The old Hasbro CEO just recently died of cancer a few days ago. The new CEO may be looking at what is going on with the likes of Netflix and Apple and maybe is thinking that they too should clean house of those who are a liability to Hasbro.

Codex Year of the Donut
All RangerBoo's observations would mean is that other fans shared my feelings. Hopefully there are enough millennials and rainbow brigadiers to make up for the turned off fans, but much like other hobbies, I expect there are not.

That is the problem, they are able to get away with this because you don't matter. Grognards don't buy DnD materials, they havn't since either 3rd edition or since Pathfinder overtook 3.5. Loss from scorning old fans is negligible, get woke go broke does not apply to WotC sadly.
Why would you care about the sales of a product entirely unrelated to D&D or RPGs?

It's a storygame wearing the skin of D&D, it's not D&D anymore than say, DragonStrike is.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

That's because there hasn't been a D&D game since AD&D and OD&D were published. Liggers of the Woke's shit is not D&D.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
yvtfoi.jpg

Hasbro terming games it publishes "Dungeons & Dragons" does not indicate such games deserve the respect due to actual D&D/AD&D.

RangerBoo

Arcane
Well now, this is interesting.

This maybe what makes Hasbro sell off WoTC. Most corporations hate unions and when workers try to unionize they either fire the workers who want to union or sell off the company. A lot of people, especially the Critical Role fans are like: "Hasbro will never sell! WoTC makes them a lot of money!" Yeah and when corporations sell off other sub companies is when they are making a lot of money. No corporations wants to not make money off a sale or sell off a company that only makes pennies. They sell companies off at their height like Lucas did with LucasFilm.

Gyor

Savant

This maybe what makes Hasbro sell off WoTC. Most corporations hate unions and when workers try to unionize they either fire the workers who want to union or sell off the company. A lot of people, especially the Critical Role fans are like: "Hasbro will never sell! WoTC makes them a lot of money!" Yeah and when corporations sell off other sub companies is when they are making a lot of money. No corporations wants to not make money off a sale or sell off a company that only makes pennies. They sell companies off at their height like Lucas did with LucasFilm.

Your forgetting the upcoming $100,000,000 budget D&D Forgotten Realms movie.

The only way they sell D&D or even WotC, is if they know that the D&D movie is turning into a dumpster fire, but right now all indications it's going to be the next Guardians of the Galaxy, so a multibillion dollar franchise is very possible, which would make D&D's current value look like DOG PISS by comparison.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

The only way they sell D&D or even WotC, is if they know that the D&D movie is turning into a dumpster fire, but right now all indications it's going to be the next Guardians of the Galaxy, so a multibillion dollar franchise is very possible, which would make D&D's current value look like DOG PISS by comparison.

Looking at who is involved in the film I can safely say that it will be another bomb.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
5e is the most fun edition every, the OSR is over rated *ducks for cover*

Don't bother, you're a known cuck and dumbass so it doesn't matter what you say. I bet you even bought the wheelchair adventure with real money.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Looking at who is involved in the film I can safely say that it will be another bomb.
Oh, it will bomb. Just like the last time. Not even those faggot theater kids and posers in the Critical Role crew can save this bomb.

It'll get the 97% from critics and 2% from normal people like all the other woke movies.

Well, they've made several D&D movies now and they've all been massive turds, so it's not like this is anything new. I remember being interested and getting people together to go to the first one in the theatre. I had a lot of apologizing to do. lol

Last edited:

RangerBoo

Arcane
Well, they've made several D&D movies now and they've all been massive turds, so it's not like this is anything new. I remember being interested and getting people together to go to the first one in the theatre. I had a lot of apologizing to do. lol
What are you talking about? The first one was comedic gold and considered "So bad that its good". The best was when some Hollywood reporter asked Jeremy Irons why he would play a part in this movie. He responded, "I just bought a castle. Had to pay it off somehow." It is also probably my favorite of the movies that RedLetterMedia did for their commentary tracks.

The story of Mike killing Lord Soth with a dart really subverted the expectations of everyone that played that campaign.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Patron
What are you talking about? The first one was comedic gold and considered "So bad that its good". The best was when some Hollywood reporter asked Jeremy Irons why he would play a part in this movie. He responded, "I just bought a castle. Had to pay it off somehow." It is also probably my favorite of the movies that RedLetterMedia did for their commentary tracks.

The story of Mike killing Lord Soth with a dart really subverted the expectations of everyone that played that campaign.

Unlike Ed Wood movies, the D&D movie was just so bad it's bad. Horrible POS flick. :P

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I thought the second film was ok. It even had that classic wizard's familiar dies in a trap scene. :D

mediocrepoet

Patron
I thought the second film was ok. It even had that classic wizard's familiar dies in a trap scene. :D

I'm relatively certain I couldn't stomach the thought of watching anymore of them after the first one. I don't think I've seen anything other than the original, even though I was mildly tempted to check out the cheese. Certainly if I've seen any of them, I don't remember it.

RangerBoo

Arcane
Something that I wanted to get off my chest. Whenever someone makes a video that criticizes Critical Role I see a ton of Cuckservatives coming out of the woodwork and saying: "I love Critical Role! Even if they get political and not like us I just tune that stuff out and enjoy the show!" I have to ask, why? These people HATE you. They have made it clear on their Twitter that the thought of you dying a painful death gives them sexual pleasure. They are also the types of people who cheer on their AGP friends to groom your impressable autistic 15 year old son to chop his dick off, take titty skittles, hate his parents and run away and join a AGP BDSM sex cult. American voice actors are some of the most garbage and toxic fucking people in the industry. Stop giving the likes of Critical Role and WoTC your money! It is people like the Cuckservatives who continued support for the entertainment industry because of some shitty podcast or brand is why we will never see changes from it.

Last edited:

Larianshill

Arbiter
Something that I wanted to get off my chest. Whenever someone makes a video that criticizes Critical Role I see a ton of Cuckservatives coming out of the woodwork and saying: "I love Critical Role! Even if they get political and not like us I just tune that stuff out and enjoy the show!" I have to ask why? These people HATE you. They have made it clear on their Twitter that the thought of you dying a painful death gives them sexual pleasure. They are also the types of people who cheer on their AGP friends to groom your impressable autistic 15 year old son to chop his dick off, take titty skittles, hate his parents and run away and join a BDSM sex cult. American voice actors are some of the most garbage and toxic fucking people in the industry. Stop giving the likes of Critical Role and WoTC your money! It is people like the Cuckservatives who continued support for the entertainment industry because of some shitty podcast or brand is why we will never see changes from it.

What did he mean by this?

Gyor

Savant

There Spiderman and Game night movies made money.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom