Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

Generic-Giant-Spider

Well well, if it isn't Lhynn the leader of the wiener patrol! Hahahaha! Hey Lhynny-boy, I'd appreciate it if you refer to me as FOLK now or whatever it is 5E dweebs call it now! Hahaha! Wouldn't want to offend the oppressed wittle orcsys and drowys! Hahaha, PATHETIC. Now watch in envy as I leave in all my glory, DORKS!

WeightyFelineAfricancivet-small.gif

Bara

Arcane
Drama doesn't seem to want to end for WoTC as a guy feels he was marginalized as a diversity hire at WoTC has left the company and posted a tell all

Also I don't know what they're PR/Community relations person is doing when sending out messages like these against his own company. I wonder if they'll get him back in line or drop him.

Look up the #firemikemearls tag online some time if you want to see the madness and despair/laugh.

The "stop playing D&D" messages are the best as you can't apparently even play D&D without being complicit to some people.

J1M

Arcane
So by its (his?) own admission he didn't really do any work and spent a lot of time correcting pronouns.

Imagine if someone from this thread was given the privilege to work on D&D for shit pay. You'd be hearing about the revitalization of an old setting and preordering a new splat book being marketed as the "Dark Souls of PnP".

deuxhero

Arcane
A guy who dismisses the popular predecessor he was tasked to build upon as a "game for assholes" and virtue signals constantly is an abusive boss?

Codex Year of the Donut
Well Looks like they're droping "Race" for "Folk"

Diversity and Dungeons & Dragons
By Wizards of the Coast/D&D Team - 06/17/2020

Dungeons & Dragons teaches that diversity is strength, for only a diverse group of adventurers can overcome the many challenges a D&D story presents. In that spirit, making D&D as welcoming and inclusive as possible has moved to the forefront of our priorities over the last six years. We’d like to share with you what we’ve been doing, and what we plan to do in the future to address legacy D&D content that does not reflect who we are today. We recognize that doing this isn’t about getting to a place where we can rest on our laurels but continuing to head in the right direction. We feel that being transparent about it is the best way to let our community help us to continue to calibrate our efforts.

One of the explicit design goals of 5th edition D&D is to depict humanity in all its beautiful diversity by depicting characters who represent an array of ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and beliefs. We want everyone to feel at home around the game table and to see positive reflections of themselves within our products. “Human” in D&D means everyone, not just fantasy versions of northern Europeans, and the D&D community is now more diverse than it’s ever been.

Throughout the 50-year history of D&D, some of the peoples in the game—orcs and drow being two of the prime examples—have been characterized as monstrous and evil, using descriptions that are painfully reminiscent of how real-world ethnic groups have been and continue to be denigrated. That’s just not right, and it’s not something we believe in. Despite our conscious efforts to the contrary, we have allowed some of those old descriptions to reappear in the game. We recognize that to live our values, we have to do an even better job in handling these issues. If we make mistakes, our priority is to make things right.

Here’s what we’re doing to improve:

• We present orcs and drow in a new light in two of our most recent books, Eberron: Rising from the Last War and Explorer's Guide to Wildemount. In those books, orcs and drow are just as morally and culturally complex as other peoples. We will continue that approach in future books, portraying all the peoples of D&D in relatable ways and making it clear that they are as free as humans to decide who they are and what they do.
  • When every D&D book is reprinted, we have an opportunity to correct errors that we or the broader D&D community discovered in that book. Each year, we use those opportunities to fix a variety of things, including errors in judgment. In recent reprintings of Tomb of Annihilation and Curse of Strahd, for example, we changed text that was racially insensitive. Those reprints have already been printed and will be available in the months ahead. We will continue this process, reviewing each book as it comes up for a reprint and fixing such errors where they are present.
  • Later this year, we will release a product (not yet announced) that offers a way for a player to customize their character’s origin, including the option to change the ability score increases that come from being an elf, a dwarf, or one of D&D's many other playable folk. This option emphasizes that each person in the game is an individual with capabilities all their own.
  • Curse of Strahd included a people known as the Vistani and featured the Vistani heroine Ezmerelda. Regrettably, their depiction echoes some stereotypes associated with the Romani people in the real world. To rectify that, we’ve not only made changes to Curse of Strahd, but in two upcoming books, we will also show—working with a Romani consultant—the Vistani in a way that doesn’t rely on reductive tropes.
  • We've received valuable insights from sensitivity readers on two of our recent books. We are incorporating sensitivity readers into our creative process, and we will continue to reach out to experts in various fields to help us identify our blind spots.
  • We're proactively seeking new, diverse talent to join our staff and our pool of freelance writers and artists. We’ve brought in contributors who reflect the beautiful diversity of the D&D community to work on books coming out in 2021. We're going to invest even more in this approach and add a broad range of new voices to join the chorus of D&D storytelling.
And we will continue to listen to you all. We created 5th edition in conversation with the D&D community. It's a conversation that continues to this day. That's at the heart of our work—listening to the community, learning what brings you joy, and doing everything we can to provide it in every one of our books.

This part of our work will never end. We know that every day someone finds the courage to voice their truth, and we’re here to listen. We are eternally grateful for the ongoing dialog with the D&D community, and we look forward to continuing to improve D&D for generations to come.

This just reinforces my hope we never go back Planescape or Spelljammer they're going to mess with it badly.

I just hope they don't do some nonsense of making all racial bonuses available to all races otherwise whats the point of picking dawarf vs human. Like I like settings that twist the positions of races but I appreciate having their classic descriptions so its going to suck if this means no more evil underdark drow society nor orcish raiders.

Also this opens up a can of worms for all D&D creatures now. I saw people saying what about gnolls only being evil in D&D and Crawford responding on the lines of saying they were made by a fiend and should actually be a race of fiends and not humanoids. But then we have tieflings with fiend blood or other such races are we going to have them stripped of free will or fighting for it constantly instead of just whatevers with demonic origins?

Just thank god no matter what happens I'll have my older editions to fall back too.
image.jpg

Maxie

What's with the clowns swarming the gazebo to show how based and red-pilled they are in the face of judaic degeneracy or whatever's the newest cool and hip name for opportunistic virtue signalling
Any of you lot ever played 5e to even show up here

Generic-Giant-Spider

HAHAHAHA

"Oooh, can't wait to continue my campaign with my non-binary pals I met at a tea shop! Oooh-la-la!"

Back in MY day we met through secret signals, curious glances, and messages on walls.

Now it's all so gay.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/17334

Comments thread gives me hope in humanity.

Purchased a copy coz couldn't find my 1Ed.
WoTc do NOT take this down.
A few hyper PC complainers are NOT going to buy the games to make up for lost sales if you rip through your traditions, history and push down legit customers. They'll just demand more.

No plans to run anything with it. I just wanted to help preserve this bit of gaming history before it gets swept away.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I'm torn myself. On the one hand, I want to buy it to preserve it like the guy in the latter quote; on the other hand, I don't want to buy it because I don't want to give the modern WotC my money.

Codex Year of the Donut
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/17334

Comments thread gives me hope in humanity.

Purchased a copy coz couldn't find my 1Ed.
WoTc do NOT take this down.
A few hyper PC complainers are NOT going to buy the games to make up for lost sales if you rip through your traditions, history and push down legit customers. They'll just demand more.

No plans to run anything with it. I just wanted to help preserve this bit of gaming history before it gets swept away.
I'm torn myself. On the one hand, I want to buy it to preserve it like the guy in the latter quote; on the other hand, I don't want to buy it because I don't want to give the modern WotC my money.
It's a fucking PDF, not like it's a physical edition.
go to google and copy/paste this:
site:thetrove.net oriental adventures 1e

Bara

Arcane

I mean there are plenty of places where you can find it online if you want to preserve it via a download and not pay.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
It's a fucking PDF, not like it's a physical edition.
I mean there are plenty of places where you can find it online if you want to preserve it via a download and not pay.
Of course I know that, and I'm not gonna go on any PIRACY BAD tirade here since I've done plenty of it myself back when I was a poor student, but I've been trying to avoid pirating anything unless the thing I want isn't available for sale anywhere. It just feels wrong to me.

Re: Oriental Adventures, I added it to my want list on nobleknight.com & might get it when it's available again.

Bara

Arcane
Huh Privateer Press is jumping on the 5e train. Iron Kingdoms 5e Kickstarter some time this year.

Delve into the award-winning world of the Iron Kingdoms with the latest edition of the Iron Kingdoms Role Playing Game from Privateer Press. Iron Kingdoms: Requiem combines this fantastic setting with the newest edition of the world’s most popular roleplaying game.

Inside this book you’ll find a brief history of the Iron Kingdoms and information describing the current state of the world following the Claiming. Alongside these chapters is an extensive gazetteer providing detailed information on the most notable of the world’s interesting locations.

When making a character, you’ll be able to choose from many of the familiar countries and cultures of the setting. Whether you want to be a human, gobber, trollkin, Rhulic dwarf, ogrun, Iosan, or Nyss elf, this book provides all the rules that make these different peoples unique. When choosing a class, there are options for many you’re already familiar with, from the stalwart man-at-arms fighter to the free-flowing monk of the Order of the Fist. Beyond these are brand new rules for playing the characters that make the Iron Kingdoms such a memorable setting. These new classes include, among others, gun mages, arcane mechanics, combat alchemists, and warcasters.
Alongside these options are new feats, spells, and backgrounds to make your characters feel even more a part of the world of the Iron Kingdoms.

Finally, within the pages of Iron Kingdoms: Requiem are extensive rules for the arcane technologies of the setting. These rules cover subjects from firearms and mechanika, like the galvanic arms armor of the storm knight, to the mighty warjacks that accompany warcasters into battle.

I wonder how well balanced it'll end up being but I don't see the point of this since you could mostly take Ebberron and tweak mechanically into a Iron Kingdoms setting and use the lore books.

deuxhero

Arcane
When did DM's guild add a disclaimer to searching by edition (other than 5E) that it doesn't reflect current values? I don't remember seeing that the last few times I looked OA's placement (still #2).

Bara

Arcane
Huh that's new. It's kind annoyingly long for a banner at least on mobile.

Guess they're going the Warner brothers route like they did with the loony toons.

Sad we're at this point but at least the old content will remain.

Bara

Arcane
The new play test feats feel off as they're testing feats that allow you to scrape a bit of other classes features.

Like Metamagic Adept just lets anyone with spell casting or pact magic pick two meta magic options & gives them two sorcery points that refresh on long rest.

I guess the Chef feat is cute but meh.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The idea that "D&D is better at low levels" is thanks to 5e. Why? Because all spells, attacks, etc; deals way less damage on 5e while monsters has way more hp and you no longer has OHK spells and poisons. Things on lower level has way more HP.

Pick 2E stradh on 2e , stats bellow. His stats can be found on the book Domains of The Dread. He had only 62 hit points.

x130Ydd.png

And he could cast a lot of nasty spells. Contigency spells, Clone, Maze, Limited Wish(...), he required weapons of +2 to damage him and was a nasty enemy but din't took more than few rounds to fight Strahd. Now look to 5e Strahd stats. He no longer has any of his nasty spells. The unique nasty spell that he has is Cloudkill and cloudkill on 5e is a minor annoyance, while on 3.5e, can kill a high level barbarian in few rounds or severely destroys his CON, lowering his saves and hit points. On 5e, he is just a lv 9 magician capable of casting a single cloudkill per long rest.

THLIwSB.png

However, he has more than twice his hit points. That means that a encounter with Strahd is no longer a deadly encounter that lasts few rounds with high stakes. Quite the contrary, is just a long fight with no lethality. A fireball from a lv 10 arcane caster could deal 6~60 damage on 3.5e, or 33 average damage. Each lv up is more d6 damage. While on 5e, a fireball only deals 8d6 damage or 28 damage.

That said >

• Fireball on 2e -> Takes 53% of a LV 16 STRAHD hit points
  • Fireball on 5e -> On average takes 19% of LV 9 STRAHD.

My guess is that high level mobs in average takes dozens of more time to kill/die on 5e than on 2e. Considering that I an comparing a high level "boss" with a "mid level". In fact, Fireball caps at 10d6 on 3.5e, Cone of cold, 15d6. On 5e, the difference of fireball to cone of cold is miserable 2d8 damage.

Is similar to Oblivion that at higher levels, the damage numbers grows a little bigger while HP pools grows exponentially higher.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
High level d&d was never good.

Strongly disagree. You have no options. And honestly, a campaign where you escape from Carceri and have to deal with demon VS devil wars is way more interesting than kobold slaying "i cast two magic missiles now i can't cast anything more" campaign. 5e on higher level has the same problem of oblivion ie - too slow and boring.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom