Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Daggerfall Unity isnt Vaporware

Miles Davis or John Coltrane?

• Miles Davis

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • John Coltrane

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • Kenny G (kc response)

Votes: 68 41.5%

• Total voters

index.php

Arcane
The game bugged out and I did not receive Lady Briesena's message about the start of the Totem Quest and I can't install anything to fix it. All the requirements for that quest to start have been met. The last game i played (Arcanum) also glitched out when it was 90 percent finished. Maybe I am playing to old games?
Post it here, they might be able to help: https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewforum.php?f=24

deadmeme

Learned
These mods look great. But like I have said, I like the game, but the bugs are killing me. They are killing me so much that i swore that i will not play any old RPG games. The oath lasted for a week hahahha

Luzur

Good Sir
[MOD] Filling Food
Post by Ralzar » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:53 pm

65-1579127338-1695205497.png

Filling Food

While using "Tedious Travel" and "Climates & Cloaks", you will often run out of Fatigue during your travels, forcing you to sleep to regenerate Fatigue, even if it is the middle of the day. With this mod you are able to stop at an inn to eat and gain a temporary low Fatigue regeneration that will let you travel further without burning through your fatigue as fast.

https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/65

Features

Fatigue Regeneration
When you eat/drink an item from the Tavern menu, you will gain a Fatigue regeneration effect. This will start out somewhat strong and then peter off over time. At 240 minutes it stops and you are able to eat at a Tavern again.
The effect is active while sleeping as well, so you can eat a meal before going to bed to regain Fatigue faster.

Toptext Information
When you eat/drink something that triggers the mods effect, you will get the message "The meal invigorates you."
When the effect ends and you are able to eat again, you get the message "Your stomach rumbles..."

Differentiate Food items
Either split them by item or price. So larger food items make you full for longer.

Rations
Some kind of "package" item that you can buy at the General Store which serves as food. If I get that working, it would be possible to start considering hunger effects.

Luzur

Good Sir
[WIP]Airships Mod Update 0.2.0 - Charter Flights (9/27)
Post by Kaedius » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:25 am

Get it on Nexus:
https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/15/

Update 0.2.0

You no longer have to buy an airship entirely in order to travel on one with the charter flight option. Update also includes:
  • Adds 2 new airships, small and large size.
  • Adds ability to charter a flight and fly as a passenger to any location for a fee.
  • Revamped buy menu to mimic default ship buying menu with model preview screen and ability to sell currently owned airship.
  • New airship merchants, removed buy window hotkey (console command still exists)
  • The optional ship cargo capacity feature limits the amount of loot a ship can carry.
  • Added a chest to each ship to store loot.
  • Changed versioning to better reflect feature-adding state.
There are now airship merchants outside of the gate of every large city, with a small chance to spawn randomly in smaller towns. Speak to them in order to buy/sell airships, as well as charter a flight.

Chartering a flight allows you to spend a small fee and fly to a given location as a passenger. Costs will be customizable in the near future. There are currently limitations that may be changed: The medium ship is only available between large cities. All other locations will be flown to with the slower small ship. Medium ships cost less over long distances, so flying from city to city and then traveling from there via Tedious Travel to a destination is encouraged. Likely to be optional soon. Also will provide a means of stopping the chartered flight once begun. For now, tgm and hopping off is the best option
icon_e_biggrin.gif

Ship Cargo capacity adds a limit to the amount of loot in weight a ship can carry. This optional feature incentivizes buying larger airships, as well as helps balance having a mobile base a little. The amount of cargo held can be edited in the settings.

Next update will likely add some decoration options and lights to spruce up each ship.

BugFix: Dropping loot while in-transit should no longer potentially fall through the floor.

Airships
  • Fully controllable airship to operate.
  • Click on a location on the world map, and the ship will automatically fly there.
  • You can freely walk around on the ship while the ship is in-transit.
  • You may safely store your loot on the airship.
  • Configurable air traffic. See other airships zooming across the map!
  • Charter a flight to travel as a passenger.
Options

Be sure to visit Mod Settings prior to launching to set a few settings:

Ship cost: Set the cost of the available ships. You can set the price to 0 for quick access.

Air traffic spawn: Sets the rate of airship spawn or disables it completely. Keep in mind that at the moment no effort is made to ensure air traffic actually crosses the players path and other airships spawn away from the players view, so even high frequency settings may have limited encounters. The ships will currently destroy themselves when far enough away, but they are slower and can be followed to see their destination.

Instant ship summon: Calling the airship will spawn the ship in the world and it will fly to the player and drop ropes for the player to board. Instant-summon will instantly spawn the ship and place the player at the ships wheel.

Rope Physics: By default the ship ropes will sway with physics. Disable if it causes performance issues or if you prefer static ropes.

Dream Enabled: Toggling this will remove the airship button added to the transport menu, allowing DREAM to take over. Instead, the Ship button is used to call the airship and a prompt will appear if you own both a ship and an airship.

Ship Cargo: Enables limiting the amount of loot a ship can hold.

How to Use

There are airship merchants outside of each gate at every large city, as well as a small chance to be in smaller villages. They are standing still and are wearing red. Speak with them to buy/sell an airship, or to charter a flight.

Once bought, bring up the transport window, and click on the airship to call it. If instant summon is not enabled and the ship is inactive, the ship will appear nearby and fly to the player. Use the ropes that drop in order to board the ship. If the ship is already active, the ship will attempt to fly to the players current position but not drop boarding ropes.

Activating the ship itself will bring up the ship window with a few options:

Toggle Ropes: Click to either deploy or reel in the boarding ropes. This occurs once the window is closed and is the main way to board the ship when on foot.

Stop: Clears any active town targets and autopilot. Use to quickly stop the ship if you are away from the ship wheel.

Send Away: Use this to send the ship away for any reason. Can only be used when not on the ship.

Customize: Various customizations for the ship. Currently, only changing the sail color is available. Press Esc to exit the color changing window.

How to Fly

Activate the ship wheel at the back of the ship to begin flying. Use your turn/strafe left and right keys to turn the ship. Tap forwards to increase the speed, tap backwards to decrease speed. The max speed is a value of 10. Press float up to increase vertical speed, and float down to decrease vertical speed. The max vertical speed is 3. Horizontal movement is currently disabled.

The window at the top of the screen displays the current speed settings, with forward speed at the top and vertical on the bottom

Click and hold the left mouse button to bring up the mouse cursor, and hover it over the Autopilot button to activate autopilot. Autopilot will take over the vertical speed and ensure you do not fly into mountains, while you still control forward speed and turning.

Pressing spacebar clears all speed settings as well as autopilot.

Click again on the ship wheel or press escape to exit control. The ship will continue to fly at the last speed settings, so leaving autopilot on is recommended to not fly into the terrain.

Bring up the map menu and click on any location to set a target for the ship to fly to.

Installation

Open the downloaded archive and place the .dfmod in the DaggerfallUnity_Data/StreamingAssets/Mods folder in your Daggerfall Unity installation directory.

Compatibility

D.R.E.A.M by King of Worms: This mod adds an airship option to the transport menu, and therefore will conflict with DREAMS transport menu. There is a compatibility option in mod settings to remove the airship button and instead use the Ship button to call the airship.

Tedious Travel by jedidia: Compatible. If you have a current destination and open the travel map while on the ship, be sure to click "No" if it prompts whether to continue journey.

Distant Terrain: Compatible, but personally my computer doesn't handle it too well. It also removes the distant fog and reveals the tiles to all be water, which is awkward looking when flying over land. Could just be my setup is installed wrong.

Mountains and Hills: Compatible, highly recommended!

Has not been tested with Wilderness Encounters by Kamer. Unsure how the spawns will be effected.

Known Issues
  • The rotation of the ship is currently not in sync with the player. Try to stay still while the ship rotates before flying to its destination, and be careful once it arrives as well. You may accidentally plummet over the edge!
  • There is currently no max vertical distance. It's not recommended you fly directly upwards beyond view limit as I don't know what exactly would happen...
  • Using levitate to board the ship will not work. For now, only use the ropes to board.
  • The world map does not show your position when you fly over the middle of the map, so it can be easy to lose your position. Generally flying south, east, or north will hit land eventually.
  • Terrain collision is a work-in-progress. If you collide with the terrain, try backing back out or flying up. You'll pop out eventually. It is possible to keep flying into the terrain and entering no-mans-land. Ship-on-ship collision hasn't been tested much and will probably act strangely.
  • It's not recommended you attempt to board another ship. This may have unknown consequences.
  • Flying in weather can cause weather to stream behind the ship rather than around the player.
  • Be cautious in the small compartment in the front of the ship and in the bottom deck. You can walk up through the ceiling/wall.
  • You cannot jump while on the airship.

Future Plans

• More ship types.
  • More interesting air traffic, including pirates.
  • Cannons,crew members, ability to board other ships and be boarded.
  • A more immersive method of ship-buying, more ship customizations, and various balance issues such as limited loot cargo space.
    All will be optional.

This is a work-in-progress, with more features and refinements in the works. Please expect there to be bugs, and please report them when you find them!

Luzur

Good Sir
[Quests] Black Horse Courier, Iliac Bay Edition (WIP)
Post by haloterm » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:01 pm

So, I finally started with creating my own quests for DFU. The "Black Horse Courier" newspaper (we all know from the Oblivion game) tries to expand into other provinces, and it starts in the kingdom of Daggerfall. The player is involved in some events around this plan and helps to ensure that the expansion plans are successful.

y4m3cdKgzr0-tzqxQS7uUGZ6w84Vy1c0xuZXyouBZyrU0WQI9S5Cuop-wALhIM1kLJdgMDUhlimXjUip6-YbDjk7G0fMQyxHSPLoylcs0m5MPdFh45XOmqVOJ7_r8Lp0jduezYYprpCdN8MpuIPv-RUqLJVGi-UxmYDUmmqS8MDYgiWUrBZ76ZtByekjbLf1TolBuhYomcw5tXXN4kMxeBgCw

My goal with the "BHC" questline is to add some regional flavor to selected places in the kingdom of Daggerfall. I want the places to be less generic and have a more unique history. Many of the quests are peaceful and involve travelling and visiting people, but there are still some battles, for one to spice things up and also because I need to learn how to script these.

y4mjNObhPH_SMq6JjwxAgHtXBmeAdDvCloa5NaQYf4W5NogS5HrqiWqAJqoWPaeKWdJq_kQeIKcR1-Rc4hj_VwFt3wfvLiMxxHRN-H8tEsxA3l5so3mRny47yRCN1hBrYp4oQRZ2_-CyQziW5IDkZBfEfrMC_GIVFsdJ3ThneQ42mqwODTsdaTuEbqsVyHbzQnzAsK_ckHrWYrgLh-MN5iCUQ

In many quests, issues of the "Black Horse Courier / Iliac Bay Edition" are handed to the player, with a lot to read. (Here, the biggest difficulty is writing proper English. My native language is German, so I make a lot of mistakes. MS Office spell & grammar checking helps a bit, but ...)

y4mrk6iwRMcUm_btGQN1lFiAIFr7ZGPXvDz_TCqPYVVaQqcODALAAFqoIyBQTXWvJ6XVzYZK1QhG_YCGaHMvUiFq097RHarmZP-4tQrds4e2ST64TwVXMYq400vnKzjFY1W4GMd5F9CJE83cLAEUp5VikARgTWGwlQacjwhKTCvixIih86h2M_TigAmzDFT_5tYx_2uNmGkaDLwJaFbX9T3eA

If I can keep up the momentum, I may release an incomplete demo version later this week (just containing a few quests, mainly meant for being tested by others and ideally reporting bugs). I don't know if I can finish the questline to the extent as I imagine it, but I try.

For even later, I have ideas for other questlines, focusing on some of the other kingdoms and some of the lesser known places.

I'll try to update this thread when I have to show something interesting.

index.php

Arcane
Daggerfall Unity March Builds
Posted on March 8, 2020 by Interkarma
Welcome Back

Welcome to the first post of 2020! Over the last few months, our focus in Daggerfall Unity has been on bug fixes and refinement. This isn’t the most exciting time in a game’s life, but it is key to long-term success. Daggerfall Unity is now starting to feel more like a game well into a long beta rather than one freshly in public alpha. I’m in fact very confident we’ll be calling beta sometime this year, and it’s likely to be a short beta thanks to the time we’re spending now.

It’s incredible to think the main quest has been fully playable since 2017 and all classic gameplay features since July 2019. If this was any other game, we’d be beyond 1.0 and well into post-release support by this stage. But Daggerfall Unity isn’t just a game, it’s also a platform. This title is a superset of classic Daggerfall plus many more features not present in classic. I’m talking of course about quality of life refinements and mod support. This requires an extended development process well in excess of classic, because Daggerfall Unity is today a larger and more ambitious game than even classic Daggerfall was. That might not sound like much in 2020 compared to the wildly ambitious original way back in 1996, but it still represents a real accomplishment that everyone involved has brought this game so far and delivered on so much. For something that began with a single developer, this game has grown into a monster that only the combined efforts of dozens of people could have achieved. The fact we’re all doing this as unpaid volunteers in our own free time out of love for this game speaks volumes about how passionate this community is.

Before I get into the new features in current release, I wanted to recap some news from the last few months.

Daggerfall Unity Is On Nexus
In case you missed this one, we now have our own Daggerfall Unity page on Nexus. The number and quality of mods has been growing steadily and there are some real surprises in there. You should explore this page yourself to see the amazing work done by our community, but here are just a few highlights.

• D.R.E.A.M. – New models and textures to uplift the visual experience.
  • Decorator – Place furniture, containers, lights, and even crafting stations into your home.
  • Archaeologists – A whole new guild of explorers with custom guild halls, quests, and items.
  • Roleplay & Realism – Advanced encumbrance, horseriding, usable bandages, and more will make your journey more challenging and fun.
  • Climates & Cloaks – Seasons and climates now matter to the player. Plan your journey and dress appropriately for the world around you.
  • Airships – Purchase your own airship to fly around the Illiac Bay, or just charter one for a journey.
  • Harvestable Crops – Gather plant ingredients for potion making from farms and wilderness around the world.
It’s also worth mentioning the Nexus Vortex application supports Daggerfall Unity to help making downloading and installing mods as easy as possible.

Past Release Recap
Most of the updates since the last article in November 2019 have been bug fixes, but some new features have made it into the game as well. I can’t cover everything, but here’s a quick recap of some key new features:

• World data replacement and variant system allowing for mods to change the world based on a quest or some other logic.
  • Many new quest actions for use by quest packs and mods.
  • Enable mods to add new merchant services.
  • Fire Daedra and Atronachs now emit light.
  • Improved support for formulae override in mods.
  • Magic item degradation now working for items when an “on held” enchantment.
  • Enemies now take fall damage.
  • Cemeteries now play creepy ambient sounds like classic.
  • Mods can override starting equipment and spells.
  • Better footstep detection to play more appropriate sounds based on surface player is walking on.
If you’d like more detail on recent patch notes, click through to the forum News area and read the summary posts from November 2019 (0.10.13) to February 2020 (0.10.20).

New Features
So what’s new in the March 2020 Live Builds?

Screenshots – Thanks to new contributor jefetienne, you can now take screenshots anywhere inside the game using the F8 key. They will be saved to your persistent data path (same area as Saves, settings.ini, etc.) into a new folder called “Screenshots”.

If you want to disable the HUD for your screenshots, use Shift+F10 to toggle HUD visibility.

The screenshot keybind can only be changed manually at this time, but jefetienne is also working on the new keybinds UI that will allow some of these bindings not present in classic (so not on the classic keybind UI) to be changed inside the game.

Equip a bow in left hand only – Enabled from an option at startup, Hazelnut’s new feature tweaks equipment handling so you can equip a bow and a one-handed weapon at the same time. This makes switching between bow and melee much faster to give archer/melee hybrids that extra “edge” in combat when their enemies get too close.

This is what we call a click-saver QoL enhancement. It just saves you all the steps of going into inventory to swap between bow and melee and simply alternate between these weapons with the “swap hand” key (H by default).

General Fixes & Improvements
0.10.21 builds bring the usual payload of bug fixes and small refinements.

• Improve keybind data handling (zaklaus)
  • Add version label to startup UI (jefetienne)
  • Open some UI class field protection to better support UI mods (Numidium)
  • Fixes to player object activation (Pango)
  • Further shader improvements to help fix “water everywhere” tiles for people with lower-end hardware (Pango)
  • Fix mobile orientation “blind spots” (Pango)
  • Prevent collisions between missiles (Pango)
  • Improvements to enemy pathfinding through doors (Pango)
  • Ensure scaling vectors are correctly initialised and improve serialization (Hazelnut)
  • Fix marker assignment availability in Orsinium to prevent quest item landing in void (JorisVanEidjen/Interkarma)
  • Do not allow rearm of EndQuest action to prevent looping performance drop (Hazelnut/Interkarma)
  • Allow replacement potion effects (Hazelnut)
  • Fix building data duplicating building name (Hazelnut)
  • More texture fixes to classic models (Ferital)

Coming Up
There’s some cool stuff coming up on the horizon. I’ve dedicated March to start building out the localization features more completely, jefetienne is working on initial gamepad support and new keybinds UI, and there are already more bugfixes waiting to approve.

We’re also getting very close to upgrading project to Unity 2019.4 LTS (once available) and switching over to a linear lighting model. The first change will update Daggerfall Unity’s engine baseline for the next couple of years, locking that version in for mod creators. The linear lighting change will unleash several subtle improvements to the lighting appearance in DFU, while related changes will remove the minor “material shine” users might notice when playing Daggerfall Unity with classic textures.

Once the localization features and new keybinds UI are locked in, I’ll shift focus back to the large HUD and the final few Alpha items remaining on the roadmap. We’ll be hitting Beta releases later this year and finally seeing the light of 1.0 coming up shortly afterwards. After almost 5 years in development, this wonderful journey is entering its final stages. Congratulations to everyone that has helped this game come so far. I’m looking forward to discovering what the future will bring.

index.php

Arcane
OpenTESArena 0.11.0

New features and changes in version 0.11.0:

• Original entity loading (static NPCs, creatures, trees, furniture, palace rulers, etc.)
  • Lights
  • Water and lava rendering
  • Translucent entity rendering
  • Ray cast selection with pixel-perfect option (@faha223)
  • 3D positional audio (@Plettro)
  • Initial work on chunk system for game world
  • Periodic creature sounds
  • Fading voxels
  • Streetlights turn on and off automatically
  • Changed in-game day/night clock speed to match original game (R hotkey to fast-forward time)
  • Initial work on texture filtering in pixel shaders (nearest/linear mode)
  • Fixed incorrect cloud pixels (now using partial transparency)
  • Fixed starting dungeon fast travel onVoxelEnter bug
Known issues:

• Some streetlights don't receive on/off signal
  • Translucent entities exhibit vertical line artifacts (related to multi-threading)
  • The renderer may deadlock and freeze the game. If so, reduce render thread count to very low
  • Position of moons is not correct
  • Tavern names in Imperial City are incorrect
  • Diagonal walls have same collision as walls

index.php

Arcane
Daggerfall Unity 0.10.23
Posted on May 9, 2020 by Interkarma

Daggerfall Unity 0.10.23 is now available on Live Builds page. This is a big update with some great new features and loads of bug fixes. Let’s unpack this thing.

New Features
Advanced Controls (jefetienne)
One downside of adding new keybinds to Daggerfall Unity (e.g. QuickSave/QuickLoad and console toggle keys) is the classic keybind UI doesn’t have any free space to list them. This resulted in these special keys being hardcoded into the game. I’m happy to say that jefetienne has reworked keybinding to support more actions and presented them, along with other settings, in the new Advanced Controls UI.

You will find this interface in game from Pause > Controls > Advanced. This replaces the old Mouse button in classic, but mouse settings are also part of this window. Credit to BadLuckBurt for the classic-styled button design.

Something that isn’t obvious is just how many little things jefetienne had to work on to make the above possible. My original input setup didn’t support keybindings for these system keys at all, and the code wasn’t robust enough to keep forward compatibility once new binding were added. So jefetienne has been quietly working on fixing all of these little issues and creating a better standard for input handling in the future. And this has all been necessary for…

Controller Support (jefetienne)
That’s right – from 0.10.23, Daggerfall Unity has native controller support! You can now play the game with most major controllers such as Xbox One, PS4, Logitech. I’ve played with this for a while now and it works beautifully. I’ve traditionally been very sceptical of playing Daggerfall with a controller, because it’s such a mouse-oriented game, but jefetienne has overcome all of my concerns.

Once you’ve setup your controller bindings, you can play the game just as easily as you can with a keyboard and mouse. Weapons can attack with gestures or clicks depending on your preference, and gesture attacks decouple mouse sensitivity from controller as the two input methods are quite distinct. If you open a UI that requires a mouse pointer (such as the inventory) you can drive mouse pointer around with a thumbstick and select things as normal. It works nicely and feels a lot like playing Morrowind on console back in the day. Which is to say, it’s a pretty great way to enjoy the game.

Because controller support is new, there are still a couple of limitations I need to raise. First, you’ll need a keyboard for infrequent moments such as naming your character and entering text in certain parts of the game. There is no on-screen keyboard at this time. But these moments are few and don’t take much away from the experience. Second, you can only bind controller or keyboard/mouse at this time. You won’t be able to seamlessly switch back and forth with unique bindings for each, you’ll have to setup the game for one control method or the other. These limitations can be worked on as the feature matures.

So while you’re setting up your bindings, jefetienne recommends the following base layout, which has been based on bluntrauma69’s unofficial controller mod for DFU. This is just a suggested setup, not defaults. You can modify this as needed and bind other actions based on your preference.

• Cast Spell OR Use Magic Item* – B
  • Recast Spell – LT
  • Ready Weapon – X
  • Swing Weapon – RT
  • Switch Hand – R2
  • Status – D-Down
  • Character Sheet – D-Up
  • Jump – Y
  • Crouch – L3
  • Run – L2
  • Rest – Select
  • Transport – R3
  • Activate – A
  • Automap – D-Left
  • Travel map – D-Right
  • Pause (Advanced Controls Window) – Start
*You can access both the inventory and spellbook through the character sheet

Pro-tip #1: Sneaking in Daggerfall is based on movement speed, it’s not really a separate mode. The slower you move the more sneaky you are. The traditional “sneak” key in Daggerfall just slows your movement speed and makes footsteps sound quieter. You can very naturally move slowly with an analogue controller, and you may not need to bind a sneak key at all.

Pro-tip #2: If you rebind your Pause menu to a controller and find yourself without that controller later, you can still reopen Pause menu using Shift+Escape. This keybind is hardcoded so there’s always a way to access the Control UI again if you’re locked out.

Toggle Sneak Option (jefetienne)
A bonus QoL feature by jefetienne is an option to make sneak key a toggle instead of a state key. With this option enabled, you can toggle sneak on and off with a single key press instead of holding key down the whole time. If you run with toggle sneak enabled, then sneak mode will switch off again. You will find this option in Advanced > Gameplay of settings UI.

Runtime Materials (TheLacus)
On the modding front, TheLacus has added support for runtime materials. This feature is a component that holds a list of classic texture indices. These are instanced as materials in Awake or can be manually applied. This allows mods to “reference” a classic material on a prefab provided by a mod. You can read more about this in TheLacus’ comments for PR1775.

Custom Items (Hazelnut)
If you’ve played Hazelnut’s awesome Archaeologists Guild mod, you’ll know there’s a custom item available called the Locator. Hazelnut has built on this support to allow mods to add more detailed items into the game in future. To get an idea of where modders can go with this, there’s no better source than Hazelnut himself. His new Roleplay & Realism: Items mod will make heavy use of this feature. Click through to that link for more information, but just to give you an idea, this mod can adjust properties of items and even allow for new armour sets and the like.

This is amazing work as always by Hazelnut. Please try out his mods send him some love for all of his hard work on this feature (and so many others).

Custom Flat/Model Activations (BadLuckBurt)
Think of the throne lift in Privateer’s Hold or clicking an NPC. These are examples of activating something in the game. BadLuckBurt has extended mod support to allow adding custom activations to flats, building on earlier support for models by Hazelnut. This means mods can now add a custom “something” to happen when you click on some object, which opens up a lot of potential for new mods to inject new actions into the game.

This is a bit technical and hard to show in screenshots until a mod really takes advantage of it. Just in the short term, check out BadLuckBurt’s forum post and PR1768 about this feature. There’s also a Demo Dungeon mod showing a custom location and some test objects you can activate. Load this up into the editor to play with it further. If you’re into modding Daggerfall Unity and custom activations seem like exactly what you’ve been waiting for, please check it out and chat with BadLuckBurt on the forums to learn more.

Retro Rendering PostProcessing (Pango)
If you’re not familiar with it, Retro Rendering mode is a setting under Advanced > Video that renders the game in either classic 320×200 or slightly enhanced 640×400. This is the real deal, everything is rendered to an offscreen buffer that is actually 320×200 or 640×400 pixels in size before displaying it on your monitor. The UI is rendered to a separate layer at native resolution so the text remains perfectly crisp or you can use smooth SDF fonts. It’s the best of both worlds, and you can even use most mods with this feature. Setting up Retro Rendering correctly to get the right classic aspect ratio does need some attention to detail though, so click that link and above and see how to setup your game for that chunky pixel goodness. It’s also a great way to improve performance on lower-end PCs.

But chunky pixels and aspect ratio isn’t always enough. One big limitation of this feature is the lighting remains 32-bit and smoothly GPU-perfect. For some people this a quite jarring look against the low resolution visuals. This is where Pango has come to the rescue with new postprocessing options for Retro Rendering mode.

You have three options here:

• Off – Disable post-processing and use standard 32-bit lighting.
  • Posterization – Efficiently reduces colour-depth and remains very fast.
  • Palettization – Accurately matches each pixel to Daggerfall’s classic palette data, but requires more performance than the above two options.
You can read more details about this in Pango’s forum post. And check out Pango’s video below to see this in action. Best viewed in HD 1080p so YouTube doesn’t blur things together. It looks even better playing with it for real, videos and screenshots can’t do it justice.

Protip: You can toggle Retro Rendering postprocessing on/off using Shift+F11 in game.

Serialize Advanced Climbing State & Climbing Fixes (Interkarma)
If you use Advanced Climbing and like to save your game while holding on for dear life half way up the outside of Direnni Tower, then this small addition is for you. Climbing state is now saved and loaded with your game. If you save while holding to a wall, you’ll load holding onto that wall. This has no effect on standard climbing where you fall once you stop the climbing process.

Climbing in general has also been through a review process to fix many common and frustrating bugs. These are outlined in general fixes and improvements below, but I thought a couple of fixes in particular were of note. You can now climb surfaces that angle slightly backwards. The best example here is the coffin climb in Scourg Barrow, which was impossible up until now and trapped many an adventurer who didn’t set their Anchor or know about the Levitate tapestry nearby. And you can now climb over eaves onto rooftops like in classic.

Keyboard Look (Interkarma)
This is a small addition to the game, but some people like to steer their character using the keyboard instead of a mouse. Daggerfall had keybinds available for keyboard look, they just weren’t wired up to anything. From 0.10.23, you’ll be able to turn left/right and look up/down with the keyboard using the following bindings.

General Fixes & Improvements
There are enough fixes in 0.10.23 to group these by contributor.

TheLacus

• Remove invalid assets from cache
  • Remove unused assets from mod cache
  • Improvements to mod manifest file
  • Improve handling of mod dependency issues and messaging
  • Mod loader add message for unsatisfied game version
Pango

• Restrict CastWhenStrikes enchantments to weapons
  • Mark NPCs present if you have anytime access privileges
  • Prevent the use of weapons while climbing
  • Require confirmation before spellbook sorting
  • Do not call UnloadUnusedAssets() more than once every 3 minutes to reduce sound skip on UI close
  • Refinements and fixes to geometry unstick handling
  • Prevent saving while rapelling
  • Disable head bobbing while cursor active to prevent camera flip
  • Prevent leaving character creation recap UI with unassigned bonuses
JayH

• Classic quest fixes for April 2020
  • Enable Lord Kavar quests
jefetienne

• Improve output of “start quest” console command to show more information
  • Reduce GC alloc of SongManager
  • Fix horse footstep sounds when holding jump
Hazelnut

• Fix typo in ItemUseHandler delegate
  • Add Ironman quest actions (written by Ironman, added to core by Hazelnut)
Interkarma

• Fix career-based spell absorption and chance roll for other effect-based absorption
  • Fix Teleport Anchor persistence, Anchor now clears correctly after Teleport
  • Fix orphaned items on quest completion via Foe item queues (e.g. mummy wrappings)
  • Fix items not made permanent when rewarded via Foe item queues
  • Fix player being hurled into air while mantling (e.g. reaching top of city walls)
  • Fix climbing slightly backward angled walls (e.g. Scourg coffin tunnel) and over housing eaves to roof
  • Fix floating away while rappelling into empty space
  • Fix oscillating between rappel and climb states
  • Fix losing Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood hideouts at end of quests for them
  • Fix billboard replacement models rotating to face player (e.g. loot piles)
  • Fix reversed values in Strengthens/Weakens Armor
  • Fix cancelling character creation back to start UI
  • Fix quest enemies not added when teleporting into dungeon
  • Fix WeaponManager no calling HandleAttackFromSource()
  • Fix automatic soul capture of Azura’s Star when equipped
  • Fix bad models overlapping stairs in two known building interiors
  • Fix wading footstep splash sound height check near dungeon water
  • Support racial immunity to Poison (e.g. Argonians in Races Redone mod)
  • Option shadows setting in .INI for NPCs and billboard, note these shadows will rotate with sprite
  • Implement scrolling DaggerfallMessageBox support
  • Add “purgenonstoryquests” console command to purge only non Sx story quests

That’s all for now! This has been a big release for a small group of developers to execute in their spare time, and I’m very proud and appreciative of everyone involved. This project would not be so successful if it wasn’t for the spirit and determination of all the people above (and many others). And let’s not forget our amazing community who spot bugs, provide feedback, create mods, and keep us all sane in these times. Thank you all, this game has remained a personal bright point in 2020.

For more frequent updates on Daggerfall Unity, follow me on Twitter @gav_clayton.

Last edited:

Luzur

Good Sir
Its nice that index have taken over the updating LOL i keep forgettin nowadays due to summer prepping around the house

I think we all should PM him som nudies as a thanks, Codexers

Luzur

Good Sir
80-1588813576-229880706.png

Hey Everyone, I finished the dodge module for my combat overhaul project yesterday.

You can find it on nexus with a full description and all features. To save time and effort, I'm not going to repost all the information; head over to the nexus page for the details. Feedback is always appreciated.

https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/80

Desktop.png

The land of Daggerfall is massive, so one would think that it would inhabit many diverse people? Villager Immersion Overhaul replaces many of the generic Villagers and adds adventurers/New races to the cities of the Iliac Bay. Cities and towns should feel more alive than ever with this texture swap.

I've decided against waiting until everything is done. Instead I'll just periodically release it whenever a significant amount of work is done with each climate. This release will be the basic groundwork I work from. I spent all last night fixing clipping issues, resizing, and other things and feel like I can go ahead and release version 1 out. It will only affect one of the climates but I'm sure most won't need to travel to see the results. Not everything will be permanent. Some placeholders will be here. Warriors/Rogues/Mages might be modified to greatly represent other races.

Villager Immersion overhaul Version 4

Version 4:
-Started work on Billboard NPC's
-Villagers will spawn together regardless of the region

Hopes for the future:
-City guards at night
-Adding races instead of replacing Villagers

Installation:

1. Open the folder that matches your operating system (Windows/OSX/Linux)

2. Copy the "VillagerImmersionOverhaul .dfmod" into your DaggerfallUnity_Data/StreamingAssets/Mods folder

3. Make sure the mod is enabled

Download:VIOv4
*If you install VIO V4 alongside KOW-DREAM, make sure you make it higher priority than DREAM - COMMONERS*

20180608020428_1.jpg

20180608122826_1.jpg

file.php

o7qBcXL.png

file.php

file.php

(Vibrant) Terrain Flats
Here are ALL the Daggerfall Terrain flats, faithfully re-painted by me.
There are over 372 flats total (including a number of copy and pastes).

This is project i started way back during DaggerXL days.
At the time contributors were posting on the XL forum 'claiming' sets of daggerfall art that they were going to re-paint, and I noticed that nobody was claiming any of the terrain flats.
So that's where i started.
At the beginning i didn't imagine i was going to actually paint every single tree, plant and bush, and figured that other artists would see the progress and join me in this endeavour.
That never happened and after a while DaggerXL fizzled out, so too did my repainting project.

I was always fan and user of InterKarma's Daggerfall Tools so would check-in from time to time and eventually he started DFUnity.
I picked up this project again in earnest and made good headway until i got burned-out by my job.
It took another couple YEARS before i picked up this project again and thankfully the lockdown i'm living under atm has given me lots of time and indoor confinement to get this project over the line.

So here is the download in one ZIP file.

VibrantTerrainFlats: 500-511 Download link: https://1drv.ms/u/s!An4TIiBt2x9fmhpEYdA ... 0?e=DGqfWF

Extract to your game's StreamingAssets\Textures folder
..\DaggerfallUnity_Data\StreamingAssets\Textures

King of Worms has been adding these flats into DREAM mod so you can get them all there:
https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/5
Though at the time of posting this not all are included in DREAM.
file.php

y4m7AcGl-0WNNi1TkTpJ66JFVWw9WC1aslVILQ3GgqHL-SJ9lJ1A7Tb0kyZrvXNRk6zCmIrWnYsdbNAGPeDjeDi1-FystMqV7NPnkBF7fKr3xWRCx_POJvo-lCTQXrnhufSlYM3zL88tsHZNulrO9J4_nsi8H-oGB7EEaZAhTGrzORLxzj-f1CBR-xOHzX7UaAztwgft5AcUITSp-0plDvrrw

file.php

[MOD] Roleplay & Realism: Items (modular)
Post by Hazelnut » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:14 pm

Roleplay & Realism: Items, by Hazelnut and Ralzar
(was called "Loot Realism" up to version 0.2, see old thread, but is now re-branded to make the link to Roleplay & Realism clearer)

Description

This mod pack contains optional modules to enhance roleplay and realism for Daggerfall Unity gameplay, specifically focussing on items and loot. Enable / disable the modules in the mod settings. It's intended to be used in conjunction with the main Roleplay & Realism mod pack, and is separate only because the item stat changes (weight & price) cannot be made as an optional module. Hence this separate package allows players to decide if they want the item stat changes or not by enabling or disabling this entire mod. Any modules that rely on these item changes are in this pack and are configurable in settings.

This aim of this mod is to refine items and loot in DFU to be a little more realistic, both in what you find on bodies and in loot piles, as well as the stats & cost of some existing items. It is not a complete reworking or redesign of the item and loot systems of Daggerfall or anything like that, however it does make some light touch rebalancing of weapons to give more valid options.

Current modules:
  • Item rebalance (can only be disabled by disabling the entire pack)
  • Loot Rebalance
  • Bandaging
  • Condition Based Prices
  • Realistic Enemy Equipment
  • Skill Based Starting Equipment
  • Skill Based Starting Spells
  • Refined Weapon Balance
  • New Weapons (Archers Axe & Light Flail)
  • New Armor (Mail armor set)

Item Rebalance

Note that this module cannot be disabled without disabling the entire mod. Several items have had stats and prices adjusted.
  • Price of a Horse or a Wagon has been substantially increased. Combined with the gold drop chances you will have to work a bit for that horse or cart now.
  • Many small items, like parchments and arrows, had weirdly high weight numbers. This has been adjusted down to something more reasonable.
  • Weapon max conditions have been refined. Main effect is bows are a little less fragile.
  • Dai-Katana renamed to Odachi which is the correct name, weight increased to 5.5.
  • Katana weight increased to 3.5
  • Mace weight increased to 6
  • Warhammer weight increased to 8.5
  • Japanese weapons are more fragile, and rarer. (especially Odachis)

Loot Rebalance
  • Dungeon Loot Piles made more appropriate. Caves, Mines and Nests: Armor, some Weapons. Castles: High Armor and Weapons. Dragons Dens: Money. Laboratory: Books. Somewhat increased chance of Magic Items everywhere.
  • Enemies grouped into more sensible categories for loot generation.
  • Gold generation from enemy loot is roughly halved.
  • Enemy loot made more appropriate. Knights: Armor, some Weapons. Fighters: Weapon, some Armor. Woodsmen and Criminals: Weapons and Clothes. Spellcasters: Books, Clothes, some weapons. Undead: Some armor, some weapons. Liches and Mummys might drop Magic Items. Daedras: maybe Magic Items. Vampires: Clothes.

Bandaging

This is the way I want bandages to work, with stackable & lighter bandages. This takes precedence over the implementation in the main Roleplay & Realism mod package, unless this module is disabled. Because in this mod the bandages are much lighter and stack, they consequently heal less than the Roleplay & Realism implementation.

Condition Based Prices

When selling items, the condition of the items affect selling price. So a "broken" item will sell for much less than a "new" item.

Realistic Enemy Equipment

Enemies now have equipment based on their level and class, and in used condition. Archers have bows, Knights have more armor etc.

Skill Based Starting Equipment

When creating a new character, you will start with low-level and used condition equipment that matches your skill choices. Characters with weapon skills as primary or major skills will start with one of each weapon matching the skills chosen. Everyone gets a terrible iron knife though! There are also lots of other mundane items assigned for the other skills, like a helmet for climbing, or a loin-cloth for swimming. Every primary and secondary skill gets you something.
icon_e_smile.gif

Skill Based Starting Spells

When starting a new character, you will start with a set of very low-level custom spells based on magic skills chosen as Primary or Major skills. Note that for magic schools, you get more spells if it's a primary skill.

Refined Weapon Balance

A light touch rebalance of weapon speed and damage with the objective of making all weapons valid choices based on weight to damage. There's still some variation but choosing a favourite weapon for role-play will have very small penalties compared to vanilla. Generally speaking swords have high ranges so a hit may do hardy any damage (glance off) or lots of damage (sever a limb). On the other end, while blunt weapons now can't do as much damage in a single blow as blades, they do more reliable damage where even a glancing blow still does reasonable damage due to the weight of impact. Axes are in-between. Heavier weapons cannot attack as fast as lighter ones, although high strength will mitigate this somewhat.

Like with all modules, this can be disabled if you want to stick with vanilla damage & speed. Doing so will allow the basic attack speed module of the base R&R mod to be enabled or disabled, as this module takes precedence. (load order doesn't matter for these sibling mods) Note also that the weapon weight adjustments can only be removed by disabling this whole mod. Also note that the calculation is made on the base weight of the weapons regardless of material weight changes or enchantments, otherwise Ebony Warhammers become godly weapons with their 50% weight which is not good balance.

Here is a table of the vanilla stats and the Realism stats with change values in bold:
file.php

LRweapons.JPG (143.4 KiB) Viewed 1536 times
New Weapons and New Armor Set

Archers Axe & Light Flail: These two new weapons have been added to fill gaps in the axe and blunt weapon sets, providing lighter one handed weapons for these skills. Ideal for a secondary weapon for ranged characters as they are much faster to switch to than bigger, heavier weapons. They are availiable in all materials and can be purchased as well as dropped in loot like all vanilla weapons.

Mail Armor Set: This new armor set fills a gap in armor, providing a slightly lighter alternative to the vanilla armor. Consisting of chest, leg, arm, and feet protection (Hauberk, Chausses, Spaulders, Sollerets) and can be made out of all materials, with Chain-Deadric Mail versions which can all be worn by characters who forgo plate armor.

An example of how they look, as modelled by Una:
file.php

NewItems.JPG (152.64 KiB) Viewed 1536 times
Releases

For DFU v0.10.23+ get v0.3 here: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/61

Luzur

Good Sir
Also, King of Worm's DREAM mod have been updated:

---------------------------------------------
= DREAM 2020/r2 - RELEASE NOTES =
---------------------------------------------
------------------------
= MOBS & CORPSES=
------------------------
All MOBs and their corpses - new shader effects for improved looks & blending into scene

2866 frames - AntiAliasing 4 better blending on sprites - parts which missed it

All front facing hit frames - better hit effects

New emission maps:
Lich & Ancient Lich - maps for magic attacks, glowing eyes and glowing staff
Orc Shaman - for staff, magic attacks, glowing red amulet
Imp - maps for magic attacks, emissive eyes

Mummy - emissive eyes
Vampires - improved eyes
Lamia - attack glowing eyes
Daedra seducer - for magic attack

All emissive maps of mobs have been finetuned.

Removed magenta color tint from:
Fiery dragon - is no longer pink
Vamprire female - is no longer red skinned
Centaur - no pink legs
Tiger - no discolouring

Improved visuals:
Tiger looks improved - sprites brightness and colors corrected so the
light is the same from all angles. Vanila Daggerfall issue.

Bear - changed the unnatural yellow tint to less shiny brown

Nymph, Werebeasts - general finetuning

Centaur - darkened the white lines he had around his hair/tail

Fiery dragon - new AI upscale and manually reprocessed

----------
= HUD =
----------
New HD Potion maker, ensured its function with HD ingredients (ty Lacus)
Tweaked character backgrounds to better fit the Paperdoll

New character background for High Elf
Changed backround for Wood Elf

Improved looks of big static images (court, death, prison)

Improved Bio tab, giving it more depth

Improved tabs inside trade windows

Added shader effects on menu tabs to better match the backgrounds

Darkened Book & Notebook and all similar backgrounds for better reading
Adjusted Spelbook shading colors/brightness, made DELETE and EXIT buttons red

Changed Wereboar player portrait to Black to go with 2020/r1 change of Wereboar MOB

--------------
= SPRITES =
--------------
Improved outline on most of the sprites
Improved 300+ sprites shading
Recreated selected sprites using AI
All flying spell sprites recreated using the AI and manual drawing
New cats and dogs using AI, shading and manual drawing

Implemented the hand drawn terrain sprites for desert regions made by Jman0War
(mixed with a bits of my desert sprites)

Cave stalactites - new shading

New golden and ivory bricks items in inventory

Tweaked some ingredients for better look

Blood splash and hit effects improved
icon_e_smile.gif

---------
=NPCs=
---------
All animated NPCs have new cleaner outline and shading
Some summoned daedras were improved using AI upscaling and hard manual labor

------------------
= PORTRAITS =
------------------
All portraits received re-processing and have new
shader effects for improved looks and blending into the UI

--------------------
= COMMONERS =
--------------------
All commoners - shader effects for improved looks and blending into scene

Lady with super yellow hair recolored to resemle character portraits better
The same with yellow haired guy

Improved facial matching of closeup frames with distant ones

Removed magenta tint from all commoners sprites

-----------------
= TEXTURES =
-----------------
All terrain textures now use Array system, that ensures better performance

Terrain textures have been tweaked to get closer to vanilla where possible

Removed blue snow arifact present on some buildings walls, now all snow is white

--------------------------------
= 1st PERSON HANDHELD =
Optimalization:
identified unused archives
removed them from the pack to save some space and remove bloat
This allowed to pack whole Handheld in 1 package - previously it was 2 parts

Improved looks of bows
Improved looks of all static frames (when u just walk and hold a weapon)
Improved looks of leg kicks

Casting hands sprites fidelity improved
Horse/Cart riding sprites fidelity improved
Werewolf hands & Player Melee sprites fidelity improved

-------------
= SOUND =
-------------
Adjusted volume on tons of sounds
Improved the weapon draw sounds
Improved the item equip sounds
Improved ambient sounds
Added low frequency boost to some sounds so they have some weight
Better thunder roll sound
Lots of general finetuning and polish

-----------------
= ICON PACK =
-----------------
Improved look of all Spell Icons by creating their glass frames

---------------------
= MOD PRESETS =
---------------------
Mod presets have been updated

--------------------------
= RESHADE PRESETS =
--------------------------
Finetuned presets! Now it uses Eye Adaptation which actually works. It darkens the brightests spots during the
maximum sunshine. In dungeons, it brightens the darkest spots. Its set up in a way you will most likely not
even notice its there. Performance impact of this is close to zero.

Ive updated the bloom effects - its still VERY subtle, as all changes here. It enhances certain scenarios only.

Ive created TWO PRESSETS
- preffer performance - has bloom disabled as it is quite demanding and subtle
- preffer looks - has bloom enabled, this is how I play the game

--------------------------------------------------------------------
= PAPERDOLL - Finalization of project - public release =
--------------------------------------------------------------------
= PAPERDOLL CLOTHING =
Added detail textures & shading to all AI clothing 3130 files
Surface light blur pass to even out the new details
Improved the shape and look on 100s of male clothing pieces

Corrected all cloaks interior parts causing transparency issues
Darkened cloak interior parts to look more natural
Tuned cloak variants colors to better match each other

Corrected brightness on all female clothing
Palete change on all Aquamarine colors Female to better match the vanila
Reduced saturation by -20 on all Red and Purple Female color
Reduced lightness -5 saturation -10 of female purple clothing
Reduced saturation -20 added lightness +5 to all Green Female colors
Reduced brightness on some female white/aquamarine clothes
Refined edges on all AI golden tunics

Created 40 missing masks for the AI cloaks sets 239, 240, 241, 242
Cloaks 242_47 - all variants were bugged > remade + masks
Cloaks 241_24 - all variants were bugged > remade + masks
Improved cloak interiors to better fit exteriors
Skirts 240_101_0-Blue - corrected dimensions
Male sandals remade (tall version) to better fit various trousers

NEW VARIANTS:
Female leather trousers 40 color variants
Female golden suit - created all 40 color variants
Hide bra - shader, created all 40 color variants
Spiked bra - shader, created all 40 color variants
Flower bra - corected, added missing parts, shader, all 40 color variants
All female boots - added 440 color variants
Golden parts - mix of shader, detail textures. 200 new color variants
All male trousers, boots, suits, 520 clothing color variants

Corrected vanilla bug causing body switch with shirt 241_58 (all colors)
Corrected many miscleanious bugs in male clothing
Completed overlooked missing pieces

Removed unused black & orange clothing color variants (Sitrus) 1300 files

--------------------------------------
= PAPERDOLL BODIES & FACES =
--------------------------------------
Created last missing body in Sitrus style for female wood elf
Tweaked all left hands of female bodies so the weapons fit a bit better
All bodies - new shaders and detail textures
Tweaked Dark elf male bodies colors
Argonian faces detail textures and shading

Dark Elf new male/female faces in HD
Redguard new female faces HD
Nord new female faces HD

Corrected faulty outlines on the character faces
Rescaled Sitrus faces roughly towards the 512*512 resolution
Corrected Sitrus bodies dimensions and placement in the canvas
Created clothed variants for Sitrus bodies (with underwear)
Scratched the versions with underwear for everyone for now...

-----------------------------
= PAPERDOLL ARMORS =
-----------------------------
Detail texture layers and additional shading pass on all armors
Refined edges on all armors - 1280 parts

Improved masking on all helmets, getting rid of most of white outlines
All 600 helmet variants re-seated to the character bodies using the XML files

Finetuned all armor sets brightness across the parts
Corrected all female armor bugged colors due to wrong export script

All Chain armors completely remade, inconsistent vanilla transparency corrected
Further improved chain armor transparency

Improved hide armor legs chain transparency

Corrected wrong vanila placement of female full body armors (rotation)

Removed 500 redundand sprites & 4 masks

-------------------------------
= PAPERDOLL WEAPONS =
-------------------------------
AA on some missing weapons
All blade weapons - remade the tips
All short and long bows remade - better colors and shapes

Reseated all weapons placement in character hands via XML files (560 files)
All weapons with new shaders and detail textures

Tweaked all dwarven weapons blade colors towards darker shade (2nd pass)

Corrected bug on all rapiers causing a discoloration around the arm
Corrected some shields missed in a previous runs

Removed weapon set 233 which was NOT USED in the game (280 images)
Re-introduced 233 set-it was DFU bug, now its properly implemented in 0.10.22
icon_e_smile.gif

PLUS LOTS OF GENERAL POLISH AND BUG FIXING
icon_e_smile.gif

DREAM 2020-R2 version for windows is already up, other systems will follow soon
icon_e_wink.gif

https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... ?tab=files

file.php

5-1566049956-661681230.jpeg

5-1566740830-1862686742.png

5-1566723765-1534275538.png

5-1566740744-1654332766.png

5-1572294567-719329521.png

5-1583623577-487498665.jpeg

5-1584379736-881442574.jpeg

Luzur

Good Sir
Combat Overhaul Alpha
5/5/20, 10:29AM Pacific
(Finished Dodge Module Mod 1.0A: Dodge module is working. All players can dodge. However, the higher your agility, the longer your dodge/invuln, the longer your dodge distance, and the less it costs in fatigue. Moving to Finished even though more work will be done to expand dodge module features.)

Features RoadMap
  • ItemTemplate baseRange Variable (Finished) - I have added a baseRange variable to the itemTemplate file to store an items potential range. Think of this as a value you can use to define the range an item will affect. I'm using this for melee combat, to dynamically assign the reach of each weapon, so weapons have different attack ranges. However, you could use this for anything you need a range value attached to, say a magical affect area or a cast rang or any other possibility you can think of for range; you could assign it to spherecasts to create area affect stuff. You can access this value through the itemHelper.cs script and the getRange() method. You can also access and read it out in UI's using the %ft variable within strings.
  • Dynamic Weapon Range (Finished) - Each weapon has a unique float point value assigned to it to simulate a unique attack range. Currently is pulled from itemtemplate through the itemHelper.cs and assigned in the weaponManager.cs anytime you attack. Fists are defaulted to the classic range of 2.25f. Any weapon with 0 range does not show and is broken/bugged. Ensure weapons have a range value of some sort for them to show in fps mode. There is a built in if - then error catcher, but please do not rely on it. Set your base range in your itemtemplate file.
  • Debug Raycasting Added: (Finished) - I added a simple unity debug raycasting line into the Weaponmanager script. You will now be able to see the raycast of a weapon attack in the unity engine within the scene window. This is not built into the DF engine, so it will not show up dynamically in game. I do not plan on adding it into the df engine either.
  • Dynamic Weapon Stamina Cost (Finished) - Stamina cost for swings is now based on the items weight and range to give weapons more variety and feel. Current formula is simple; ((range+weight)*2). This gives a range of 5 to 17 cost depending on the size and weight of the weapon. Will probably refine formula further later on.
  • Dynamic Raycasts/Spherecasts(Finished) - Traditional raycasts in most classic games used single raycasts to save on cpu demand, so raycasts would draw one long line instantly for the raycast check. This was effective, but did not simulate real life well, as everything has to move in physical space over time to simulate physics. I have added raycasts that can grow overtime to simulate an attack moving through space. Stabs hitdetect now moves outward overtime from the player increasing in length until it reaches the weapons attack length,
  • Dynamic Weapon Speed (Finished) - I have inserted in a public variable into the fpsWeapon script to allow easy manipulation of attack speeds/animations. It can be accessed and set through the fpsWeapon.cs object via .AttackSpeed method. Large weapons feel heavier and slower, small weapons feel lighter and faster.
  • Movement Based Attack Types (Finished) - Currently finished a simple movement based attack system. Each strafe key initiates the attack based on that direction. As an example, left strafe = MouseDirection.left. If you're standing still and not moving at all, attacks go back to classic random choice.
  • Slower Attack Movement(Finished) - Finished a simple attack movement modifier. You know have your movement reduced by 60% while attacking. I may try to tie it to the current animation frame to create a more realistic feel to movement while swinging.
  • Combat/Unsheathed Stance Slowdown(Finished) - When you go into combat stance/sheathed state, you will move 15% slower, as your more focused on your senses and muscle memory. Sprinting/crouching bonus/debuff will still be applied, but then debuffed by the 15% penalty when in combat/unsheathed mode. So trying to be in a combat stance and sneak at the same time is going to go even slower, as it should. Have you ever tried to sneak while staying in a combat ready, muscle memory, heightened senses state? Yeah, not so easy to do and maintain.
  • Weapon Collision Simulation/Feedback(Finished) - DF engine begins sending out raycasts on every frame. Once it hits an object, the raycasts stop. A bool trigger then tells the animation system to replay the animation backwards at an accelerated rate. This simulates a hit and collision. Marking it as finished, but plan on smoothing animations at some point.
  • Multiple Raycast Code(Finished) - I have inserted in a coding loop so hit detect raycasts will continually shoot out from the players camera, using the weapons range, to simulate actual weapon swings from beginning to end. Currently raycast stops on first object hit detection. Uses weapons animation time to sync raycast and time their shots (shoots about 30 within a normal animation). As each raycast is shot, a lerp vector transform moves it along a defined axis based on the animation time. Once an object is hit, raycast stop, fps collision animation begins, and player sets back to idle. Marked as finished, even though I have to refine the vector offsets for the stab and down animations.
  • High/Smooth FPS Attack Animations(Finished) - Hijacked animation coroutine, added a for loop that uses mathf.lerp calculator to scale smooth animation simulation no matter the attack speed. *All weapons have been finished.* I've finished all weapon attack animations covering the four base attacks I'm using (left, right, stab, and down). I do need to wrap up fists attacks, redo stab, and do more refinement to minimize a few weapons with noticeable frame skipping, but I'm still marking it as finished. It is in a playable, immersive state.
  • Weapon Movement Bob(Finished) -This is supposed to simulate the natural bob running with a weapon would cause. It is tied directly into the frame animation offset variable, which creates nice little side effects, like slower bobbing on stride/run and faster bobs on small movements, like side or back stepping. It works with all weapons, including magical ones and the fists. I'm marking it as finished.
  • Range & Inertia UI Readouts(Finished) - If an item has a range, the players inventory will display it after the normal ui readout. Upon opening the item info panel, the player will see the normal information, item range, and item inertia..
  • Realistic Dodge Module(1.0A) - the dodge system is traditionally based on random roles to calculate if a hit is dodged by the player/enemy. This leads to confusing combat and engagement at times, as a series of bad rolls can make enemies hard to plan for and ruin a well thought out battle/fight. I've started work on a dodge script that will hopefully allow the player/enemy to mimic a real dodge. For the player, random roll dodging will be removed and the dodge will be completely player controlled; The players tied agility will affect its usefulness/effectiveness; the more the player has in Agility, the less fatigue the dodge will cost, the further you can dodge, and the longer you can dodge. For enemies, I will for now keep the random roll system, so you can still randomly have your attacks dodged; however, the enemy will actually move a direction and stop any attack momentarily to mimic the look of an actual dodge and make them reset momentarily their attack on you.
  • Unique Item ID Ranges(Started) - I mimicked the weight float point system, as it allows for tons of customization of the value and easy access for ui read outs on the fly. However, to get the system in and tested. I shortcutted the weaponManager.cs script right to the template to retrieve the weapon range instead of creating a unique instance of the weapon and assigning a value to that. This will limit all weapons to their item template value no matter what you do currently. I do plan on implementing the uniqie item range values into weaponcombat.cs later on. This will allow for each item to have custom range values in case any modder ever wants to do interesting things with this value, like create enchantments that increase range.
  • Toggle Block(Not Started) - Shields in traditional df had very little benefit. According to thr unofficial wiki and code I have found, shields did very little past adding 1 to 4 armor to you. df unity team added code so it now at least takes armor damage for your arms and hands. However, I wish to add a toggle block similar to modern systems, like skyrim.
  • Blade Variations(Not Started) - All differing blade types use the same sprite for their animations. This leads to tantos looking the same as dia-katanas on screen. We can modify their size by changing the render size through brute force code to setup differing sized blades for the differing weapons.
  • Movement Modifiers Tied to Weapons(Not Started) - I want movement modifiers for the unsheathed and attack reductions to vary some based on the weapons range and weight to simulate weight and physics of running with said weapon.
  • Recoil Specific Animations(Not Started) - Recoil animations are pretty sad right now; it is a rewind of the base animations backwards from object hit. We can improve this, and possibly make recoil animations for hitting an enemy versus a solid object, like a wall, prop, or asset.
General Bugfix & Code Changes
  • FPS Console Command Script: I created a script file to enable some basic console commands for controlling and manipulating the FPSWeapon script. I do not recommend changes these. Doing say risks animation and raycast bugs appearing as these are finally tuned to the engine limits and animations system.

- OffsetDistance: This is a float value that changes animation offset distance. Default value varies between .2 and .28 depending on the weapon being used. Higher values faster offset moves.
    - DisableSmoothAnimations: This enables and disables the default or improved animation system.
    - ChangeAttackSpeed: This subtracts or adds a certain float value from the default animation attack speed; Use .01 increments.
    -ChangeHorPos: Changes start and end position of hit arc detection; starts at 45 degree and does 90 degree arc to end at 45 degrees on opposite side. (-start float -end float).
    -ChangeRaycastLerp; Changes how slow or fast the hit arc is drawn. Default is .188f. Recommend .01f increments.
    -ChangeMovementMods; Multiplies base movement speed for sheathed and attack animations. Default is -sheathed .85f -attack .4f. Set values to 1 to disable any movement reduction. (-sheathed float -attack float).
  • All Weapon Stats Calculate Once/Before All Attack Code: I moved all weapon states and debug message code to run once, right after the weaponManager.cs detects a player attempting an attack. I believe this should stop any bugs having to do with weapon numbers being assigned after the swing and animation code executes.
    Weapon Range Code Improvement: Weapon range was original being calculated every frame. This seemed off for multiple reasons. The first being that range was originally set as a unchangeable constant float variable of 2.25f; so, why does the engine need the number continually updated, if it never will change by design. Two, the raycasting code only shoots out one spherical ray on every attack, which pulls the range value to figure out the rays distance; So, why does it need to continually know the range every processed frame? I think this was done originally to allow for dynamic range affects and other mechanics, but they never got to any of it and rammed this constant value in. This ultimately seems like a waste of cpu cycles/frames. I have moved the range value pull from a constant method into the attack boolean trigger. Now, it only grabs this value on every successful attack trigger. This should free up some cpu cycles/frames.
  • Added Debug Messages: Needed to know exactly what was happening with the back-end combat system while playing a game for better coding and number tweaking. I have programmed in three different debug messages. One reads out the current weapons range, the next is the current weapons fatigue cost, and the last one will appear when you make contact with an enemy hitbox and verify if you successfully rolled a hit or did not. The last one is critical, as it was hard to know if my code was broken or if I had just missed a hit chance roll in the back-end engine. The first two debug readouts can be found in the weaponManager.cs, right by where it assigns the range and staminafatigue value. The last one is embedded in the formulahelper.cs, way down by the melee hit chance detection code.
Threads Related To This Mods Work
  • In-depth project and discussion on combat and animation system and related code: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2533
  • A very in-depth breakdown of the combat system and animation system and how they work together to create what happens on the screen: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2508
  • In-depth discussion, with visual flow chart, of the fps animation system and all related script files the control and run it: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2554
Project Github

Luzur

Good Sir
Location Editor (WIP)
Post by Uncanny_Valley » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:48 pm

I'm releasing my Location Editor here as is. It's far from finished, but works very well at editing existing interior locations. Taverns, shops, homes, temples and guilds (blockName.RMB-nn-buildingX.json files).

REQUIRES: Daggerfall unity source (minimum 0.10.20)

Basic Instructions
  • Download the unity package and import it into the Daggerfall Unity project
  • Once installed, you will find a new tool under Daggerfall Tools called "Location Editor - Interior"
  • I highly recommend dragging the opened Location editor window to the inspector view, so it creates an extra tab for you to view it instead of the inspector. The editor was designed to be used in this way
  • Place your edited location file(s) (.json) in the WorldData folder in streamingAssets to see your changes in the game. (NOTE: the file name must remain the same as the original)
  • If you later wish to distribute your edited interior(s), you can package the files into a mod
file.php

Editor Window.png (397.67 KiB) Viewed 948 times
Notes:
  • When you open a location it will load all the objects into your currently opened scene in Unity. 3D objects can be moved, rotated and scaled. Billboards (flats) can only be moved.
  • When selecting an object in the scene, the editor will show the available "options" for that objects. Selecting a wooden box for example gives you the option to enable/disable it as a container
  • Select the parent object called (Location : "File Name" ) in the Hierarchy to edit special option for the location such as Building Type
  • If you wish to add new objects to the location, click the "Add object" button. You can add objects from pre-made lists or add them "manually" by typing in their ID number
  • Some objects, such as painting, are grouped together. When selecting these objects in the scene view, the editor will give you the option to quickly cycle through the different variances of that objects. You will also notice that when adding new objects from a list, some of them are displayed as "ObjectName"[Number], to indicate that they are grouped together
  • When moving and rotating objects, you will probably notice that objects will slightly "snap" into place. This is because Daggerfall objects location and rotation is stored with less precision then Unity, so this "snapping" will make sure that any object you move or rotate in the editor will have the exact same position/rotation in the game
  • To close down a current open location you can either delete the parent object or close down the editor window (as in right click and choose "Close Tab"). NOTE: Do not forget to save before you do this or your changes will be lost!

I will update the editor here when new features are added or sever bugs are fixed.
    My hope is that sharing this editor now might encourage someone to start a shop or temple re-design project.
    icon_e_wink.gif
ATTACHMENTS
LocationEditor-Interior_2020-03-05.zip
(17.85 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Last edited by Uncanny_Valley on Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:10 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Luzur

Good Sir
3D People of Daggerfall
Post by Hrafni » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:01 am

Hello there!

I've been a big fan of Elder Scrolls series since I've got my first PC. I keeped an eye on Daggerfall Unity for a long time, and enjoyed playing it. And I also read these forums for some time. But this is my first topic.
I've been fooling around with Blender in my spare time and this is a result:

This model has its drawbacks. I'm still learning. And the particle effects look awful. Not my cup of tea. And there is no use of them in game engines anyway.

Frankly speaking, I don't know, what to do with this, as I've seen some topics where people also posted some of their 3d models. I'm at the very beginning of learning Unity, so I won't manage to do a complete mod. At least not in the near future.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom