Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Daggerfall Unity isnt Vaporware

Miles Davis or John Coltrane?

• Miles Davis

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • John Coltrane

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • Kenny G (kc response)

Votes: 68 41.5%

• Total voters

Gregz

Arcane
Is there any reason one should play the original Daggerfall instead of the Unity version? Meaning other than nostalgia is there something which the original version is still better? I ask because I am getting an itch to try out the Unity version but don’t want to have to stop midway because I rather play the original

Nope, Unity 1000%

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Favorite experience so far was takin a quest and having some mage ambush me as the quest giver and teleport me to the lowest point of a far away dungeon. I was both annoyed but highly amused. It was a real survivalist treat. What a great game. I have no idea why the stupid asshole didn't move away though, he just went back to his house for some reason.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Is there any reason one should play the original Daggerfall instead of the Unity version? Meaning other than nostalgia is there something which the original version is still better? I ask because I am getting an itch to try out the Unity version but don’t want to have to stop midway because I rather play the original
I think one could make a case for it. Oldschool atmosphere. I've only seen videos of it but there's a charm to the real thing that isn't totally captured in Unity. The crappy old graphics and the poor performance make it seem like a harder, more sinister and atmospheric gameplay experience. Having to just accept failure with a broken dungeon, the slow, kinda jerky game speed of an old DOS game. That weird wavy thing the screen does. You'd just feel like a hardcore son of a bitch mastering a game like that. I do want to try it one day when I'm feeling motivated. That being said all the exploits and issues that Unity fixes make it a clear winner to me. It runs great and has lots of good QOL features that allow you to set it up to be challenging in its gameplay not challenging because of poor performance and controls.

Funposter

Arcane
I think one could make a case for it. Oldschool atmosphere. I've only seen videos of it but there's a charm to the real thing that isn't totally captured in Unity. The crappy old graphics and the poor performance make it seem like a harder, more sinister and atmospheric gameplay experience. Having to just accept failure with a broken dungeon, the slow, kinda jerky game speed of an old DOS game. That weird wavy thing the screen does. You'd just feel like a hardcore son of a bitch mastering a game like that. I do want to try it one day when I'm feeling motivated. That being said all the exploits and issues that Unity fixes make it a clear winner to me. It runs great and has lots of good QOL features that allow you to set it up to be challenging in its gameplay not challenging because of poor performance and controls.
DF Unity is definitely nicer but I do agree that playing it in DOSBox with the shitty view distance and so on has a certain charm to it. My only properly long playthrough was spent in DOSBox, so take that for what you will. Better atmosphere.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
DF Unity is definitely nicer but I do agree that playing it in DOSBox with the shitty view distance and so on has a certain charm to it. My only properly long playthrough was spent in DOSBox, so take that for what you will. Better atmosphere.

d3ei2a5-dbb4c0aa-50ca-4a87-8b0c-70bc3b03fc00.jpg

Codex Year of the Donut
If the view distance in DFU is incorrect by default, file a bug report. An increased view distance should be an option, not the default.

Boleskine

Arcane
That video got me interested to go back and watch the other ADG videos on Arena and Daggerfall. I couldn't help notice a pattern in the characters that Gemini uses.

gyfShXe.png

Valdetiosi

Scholar
How many of you play Daggerfall Unity with Retro rendering? Not being fond of modded graphics and all, the pixelated distance gives that small charm the original game had.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
That video got me interested to go back and watch the other ADG videos on Arena and Daggerfall. I couldn't help notice a pattern in the characters that Gemini uses.

gyfShXe.png
interestingly enough if you play as a redguard and equip a helm, your head turns into a nord.

index.php

Arcane
Daggerfall Unity Beta 0.11.1
Posted on February 9, 2021 by Interkarma

Welcome back everyone to the first release of 2021! Daggerfall Unity Beta 0.11.1 is now available from Live Builds page. Following is changelist by contributor.

General Fixes & Improvements
Deepfighter

• Include BIOGfix patched BIOG files to base game
Ralzar

• Move skill check for Stealth into Formula Helper to support modding
Ferital

• Ensure both Mages Guild songs can be played
  • Fix several naming macros to be more deterministic
  • Fix %pcn macro written as %pfn and missing apostrophes
  • Fix model 729 entrance left door texture
XJDHDR

• Set DoorModelIndex public for mods
  • Add ability to bash doors placed by CustomDoors
Hazelnut

• Fix horse base speed for mods – i.e. galloping fix
  • Refactor nature layout to own class and interface to support modding
  • Ensure last location is stored when entering a building
  • Update paymoney quest action to only allow gold to be accepted if desired
  • Adjust position of item-based player torch to throw some visible shadows
  • Add NameSeed to building overrides
  • Add a way to query for a specific building override without need to set last location first
  • Vary NameSeed in world replacement data so names differ in each place block is used
TheLacus

• Store enabled mod build targets in editor
  • Fix and improve code XML documentation
  • Fix runtime materials when dungeon models used outside of dungeon
  • Automatically import mod manifest after creation or changed in editor window
  • Refresh cursor at start to fix issue with disabled cursor mods
Pango

• Fix black screen bug with Alternate Music enabled in some dungeons
  • Fix improper “you wake up” in rest UI after rest previously being interrupted
  • Fix additional seams in classic sky background
  • Recursively update MeshRenderers in Automap for better compatibility with modded models
  • Fix “can’t carry anymore” when picking up maps
Jefetienne

• Fix multiple bugs with default bindings and primary/secondary bindings
  • Set mod warning box default button to “yes”
Inconsolable Cellist

• Fix %pcnf to %pcn typo in dialog file
Kamer

• Fix unused face data for male Nord
Interkarma

• Fix monsters like Atronachs and Dreughs incorrectly hitting for bonus damage even when hit missed
  • Use MagicItemTemplates JSON for generating magic items so items are not generated using legacy unpatched gamedata
  • Remove per-task click rearming for “clicked npc”, ” clicked foe”, “toting item and clicked npc” to fix click clearing prematurely in some cases
  • Use Woodland Hills nature set in MountainWoods biome
  • Refactor huge text block in ID 9000 (class questionnaire text) to individual records 9000.1 through 9000.40 for easier editing and formatting
  • Travel map now gets location name and initial discovered state from world replacement data
  • Spellbook list now always accepts keyboard input, not just when mouse over control
  • Refactor BIOG reading to use StreamingData as source over classic gamedata, allowing inclusion of fixed data

New Localization Tutorials
I’ll soon begin posting a new series of localization tutorials to the front page of dfworkshop.net. This will cover the process of creating a text localization mod covering multiple languages. It will show the full process of setting up assets, localizing text, assigning custom fonts, and building your mod for distribution. If you’ve never created mods for Daggerfall Unity, please take a look through the Modding System documentation. Localization mods need to be built and distributed as .dfmod files, which requires Unity to create and package mod. A lot of the steps for creating a localization mod are common to creating any mod, so it’s helpful to have some experience here.

Once the tutorial series is completed and DFU’s localization system is no longer in preview, this tutorial series will be maintained as part of the Modding System documentation.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
This is a lot easier than the original. I just got the GOG version of the original when I bought a copy of Morrowind for like $3.50 from them and it came preconfigured in DOSbox. So all I had to do was download it, run it, remap basically all the controls and I was away laughing. Made my usual minmaxed fighter build from Unity and owned privateers hold. Sold stuff in my favorite town (Tunbeth Hamlet), get my horse, wagon and starting spells. Mages guild didn't have recall or levitate (in unity they all have the same spells). No problem, go to Westhead Moor and get all my spells. First dungeon (after tutorial) - diseased, poisoned and killed by a vampire. I was playing on average game speed while in Unity I play on the fastest. Not sure if I want to fail that quest, load back in town or just go back to Unity with my tail between my legs.

The QOL improvements are great in Unity and I love the mods but if you haven't played the original don't kid yourself that you're good at Daggerfall. You have no idea. So many corners have been rounded off in the Unity version. It's not just the option of click to attack or the map controls. Also the original looks better. Retro rendering mode still doesn't recreate the original atmosphere of the game. It's not really even close.

I still prefer Unity. I doubt I will stick with the original long and if I had not played Unity first I wouldn't have a fucking clue how to play it. But yeah, DFU is an awesome game but it isn't the authentic Daggerfall experience. It's definitely a remake for soft, modern gamers. Very different and much, much easier.

Edit: I'm an idiot who doesn't know how to configure retro rendering mode properly. Disregard basically everything I just said. I can now make no argument in favor of the original save playing it for the challenge of overcoming it. Yet I'm still doing it. What's wrong with me?

T8P7zkz.jpg

Last edited:

purupuru

Learned
I came across a vampire in DFU at level 2 and it kill me in one hit. I reloaded with tgm just to see how strong it was and apparently it's got like 150 HP and with 40% blunt I can barely land any hit on it (I have elven mace so theoretically I could damage it). I reloaded again and ran away.
I'm sure the original is a much more hardcore experience but being killed by a vampire at low level is hardly a good example.

Funposter

Arcane
I came across a vampire in DFU at level 2 and it kill me in one hit. I reloaded with tgm just to see how strong it was and apparently it's got like 150 HP and with 40% blunt I can barely land any hit on it (I have elven mace so theoretically I could damage it). I reloaded again and ran away.
I'm sure the original is a much more hardcore experience but being killed by a vampire at low level is hardly a good example.
Yeah, running into Vampire Ancients at Level 2 is just a case of stumbling into a Vampire Haunt or Crypt type dungeon where they're most likely to spawn due to the smaller pool of enemy types. At least there's only going to be one or two of them in the dungeon at a low level. Places like Harpy Nests are the real killer early on, since the entire dungeon is full of stuff that you're going to have a tough time with, instead of maybe housing a few tough enemies that you can attempt to avoid.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I appear to have had a run of bad luck. I ended up running past that vampire and have completed several dungeons quests now. I partially retract my previous statement. Now that I'm used to it it's not that much harder. It does play look and play quite differently though. The pace of gameplay is slower when dungeon crawling. Still not sure which version is better. If I had to make recommendations I'd tell people to start with Unity to learn the game and then try the GOG version of the original (worth a couple bucks for another Elder Scrolls game to get it, unless one is a whiz with DOSbox and prefers to set it up themself) and continue with whichever they personally prefer. But yeah that's definitely one of the worse starts I've had. That dungeon had at least 2 vampires as well as many liches, and vampires are regularly spawning when I rest in dungeons still. I've yet to see a lich at level 2 in Unity so I do think there is a balance difference (but then some enemies seem harder in Unity, like skeletons and Dreughs).

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist

Zombies are weird in that they can fuck you up and then exactly one levelup later they're a joke.

mastroego

Arcane
This is a lot easier than the original. I just got the GOG version of the original when I bought a copy of Morrowind for like $3.50 from them and it came preconfigured in DOSbox. So all I had to do was download it, run it, remap basically all the controls and I was away laughing. Made my usual minmaxed fighter build from Unity and owned privateers hold. Sold stuff in my favorite town (Tunbeth Hamlet), get my horse, wagon and starting spells. Mages guild didn't have recall or levitate (in unity they all have the same spells). No problem, go to Westhead Moor and get all my spells. First dungeon (after tutorial) - diseased, poisoned and killed by a vampire. I was playing on average game speed while in Unity I play on the fastest. Not sure if I want to fail that quest, load back in town or just go back to Unity with my tail between my legs.

The QOL improvements are great in Unity and I love the mods but if you haven't played the original don't kid yourself that you're good at Daggerfall. You have no idea. So many corners have been rounded off in the Unity version. It's not just the option of click to attack or the map controls. Also the original looks better. Retro rendering mode still doesn't recreate the original atmosphere of the game. It's not really even close.

I still prefer Unity. I doubt I will stick with the original long and if I had not played Unity first I wouldn't have a fucking clue how to play it. But yeah, DFU is an awesome game but it isn't the authentic Daggerfall experience. It's definitely a remake for soft, modern gamers. Very different and much, much easier.

Edit: I'm an idiot who doesn't know how to configure retro rendering mode properly. Disregard basically everything I just said. I can now make no argument in favor of the original save playing it for the challenge of overcoming it. Yet I'm still doing it. What's wrong with me?
Other opinions on this?
The urge to try this "remake" was growing but this post is a bit disheartening.
On the other hand, SOME things of the original Daggerfall I'd definitely prefer to see changed, I remember rage-quitting and rage-uninstalling because of the n-th time of some shit happening with the insane procedurally generated dungeons - SO many years ago, I can't precisely remember though.

Bloodeyes

Arcane

Other opinions on this?
The urge to try this "remake" was growing but this post is a bit disheartening.
On the other hand, SOME things of the original Daggerfall I'd definitely prefer to see changed, I remember rage-quitting and rage-uninstalling because of the n-th time of some shit happening with the insane procedurally generated dungeons - SO many years ago, I can't precisely remember though.

I edited that post with a retraction while you were typing this. I hadn't set up retro rendering mode properly.

Here is it functioning right (health and stamina bars being swapped is optional, the clock is a mod):

T8P7zkz.jpg

You have nothing to lose by trying DFU. It's a fantastic game and even though I've only been playing it a few weeks it's already one of my favorites. I am currently playing the original for the challenge/education but I'd never want to put anyone off the unity version really. It is easier though, I'll stand by that opinion if nothing else in my previous post.

mastroego

Arcane
I was more interested in the difficulty take than the graphic issues, though.
That's why I was fishing for more opinions :)

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I was more interested in the difficulty take than the graphic issues, though.
That's why I was fishing for more opinions :)
Fair enough. But both games are free and setting them up is quick and easy. You could listen to Codexer's opinions or spend an hour playing one version then switch to the other.

I think what makes unity easier for me is more than just enemy spawns (which some dispute but I've been playing a LOT of Unity lately and have had some bad runs but nothing like I had in my few hours with the original). What is boils down to is how the game makes you feel while playing it. Unity is a comfy, enjoyable game and that's great. The map is highly functional and intuitive to use. That's huge. You know that if a quest breaks or you just can't find the quest object after looking at the map for the 50th time you can just use console commands to fix it. You might tell yourself you'll accept failure but even if you do (you won't, not after an hour in that fucking dungeon) that's a choice. You have relative certainty that whatever bullshit you go through completing a quest you will complete it, by hook or by crook. In that way it's like most RPGs - failure isn't really a possibility unless you choose to let yourself fail. It's challenging, don't get me wrong, but there is always a knowledge that you will prevail. Safety, security and good clean fun. In Daggerfall you go into a dungeon wondering how the fuck you will ever find what you're looking for in that mess and you may not. And if you can't that's it. When you solve a quest you feel like you did something because unlike in every other RPG that may not happen. That uncertainty fuels a sense of constant tension while dungeoneering that releases in jubilant triumph if you succeed. On returning to town healthy, successful and laden with loot your entire body unclenches. Until the next quest is also in a dungeon the oh god...

It goes beyond that. Everything that sucks in Unity is optional. Hate the wonky gesture combat? Turn it off (I do). Sick of waiting for your items to repair? Turn that off. Game too hard? Enemy infighting. Etc, etc and you can change these options at any time during gameplay. It's not like the difficulty setting where you'd have to restart to change it. So you can make the game play mostly like the original but at any time if that gets too much you can turn it off and you always know this, even if you aren't consciously aware of it. So the game doesn't truly scare you like Daggerfall.

It's still a fucking amazing remake and totally free so you'd be nuts not to try it if you're even slightly interested, especially based on what I say.

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Daggerfall Unity is easier in that I don't constantly fall through the floor anymore when trying to climb.
This is an improvement.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom