Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Daggerfall Unity isnt Vaporware

Miles Davis or John Coltrane?

• Miles Davis

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • John Coltrane

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • Kenny G (kc response)

Votes: 68 41.5%

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
I had to restart, but only because I got given a completely insane quest
You can safely refuse quests you don't like, it doesn't lower reputation. Failing them, on the other hand, does.

every NPC in the game regardless of reputation is a mouthy shithead who tells me to fuck off no matter how polite I am.
You have to be polite with nobles and (possibly) merchants, but commoners react better to being blunt (or neutral). Generally, you can get a whiff of what stance to use from how the NPC is speaking. If s/he tells you to fuck off outright, definitely switch to blunt.

I don't hate this but what was the name of that mod that makes dungeons smaller?
It's not on Nexus, see here how to activate it: https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?t=1689
The issue I ran into is many, many of the quests I get usually mean I have to go *number* away from the town, and even then its usually not there. "go to X manor and fight a scorpion" and then I go there and there aint no scorpions anywhere.

Funposter

Arcane
I had to restart, but only because I got given a completely insane quest to go find a pet tiger. On top of that, it was in a nightmare castle filled with instakill skeletons and underwater bullshit. In general, the game gives me tons of quests that basically fuck me sideways, and every NPC in the game regardless of reputation is a mouthy shithead who tells me to fuck off no matter how polite I am.

There's a reason that every build guide ever tells you to pick Alteration, Mysticism and Thaumaturgy regardless of how much you want to LARP.

V_K

Arcane
The issue I ran into is many, many of the quests I get usually mean I have to go *number* away from the town, and even then its usually not there. "go to X manor and fight a scorpion" and then I go there and there aint no scorpions anywhere.
Look for secret doors. There are lots of them. I don't remember if it's a bug or feature working as intended, but in DU dungeon map reveals them clearly by showing the same outline that a regular door would have.
Also look for red brick walls, they sometimes function as teleporters. But beware that sometimes they may also function as traps.
unny, I always wanted the dungeons to be bigger. I never got beyond daggerfall but the difference between Arena & dag dungeons is pretty big.
The thing is, you do like 10 MQ dungeons in Arena, and only one kind of sidequest leads you to a big dungeon - the rest are either town quests or have small dungeons. So maybe 15 big dungeons total.
In my current playthrough of Daggerfall, I've been to 10 dungeons already and I haven't even reached level 3 and started MQ proper yet.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Look for secret doors. There are lots of them. I don't remember if it's a bug or feature working as intended, but in DU dungeon map reveals them clearly by showing the same outline that a regular door would have.
Also look for red brick walls, they sometimes function as teleporters. But beware that sometimes they may also function as traps.
unny, I always wanted the dungeons to be bigger. I never got beyond daggerfall but the difference between Arena & dag dungeons is pretty big.
The thing is, you do like 10 MQ dungeons in Arena, and only one kind of sidequest leads you to a big dungeon - the rest are either town quests or have small dungeons. So maybe 15 big dungeons total.
In my current playthrough of Daggerfall, I've been to 10 dungeons already and I haven't even reached level 3 and started MQ proper yet.

Yeah the main reason I got DFU was because of the Dungeoneering aspect. I really just like wandering around dungeons. It's really a lot of fun, I'm level 2 and like, 3% of the way to the next level but I just love killing people. I did use a guide to make ezmode high elf bitch character, but overall the game is pretty great. Eventually I will make less shit characters but for now

deadmeme

Learned

Yeah the main reason I got DFU was because of the Dungeoneering aspect. I really just like wandering around dungeons. It's really a lot of fun, I'm level 2 and like, 3% of the way to the next level but I just love killing people. I did use a guide to make ezmode high elf bitch character, but overall the game is pretty great. Eventually I will make less shit characters but for now

You need to hump walls like in DOOM. There is a chance that quest item or person glitched out. So restart the dungeon. My advice when you play old RPGs (they are filled with bugs) is to save every hour, before traveling, before accepting quests, before entering dungeons. Your build is really important maybe that is the reason why are you not doing well.

deadmeme

Learned
So many daggerfall mods... what to choose?
Smaller dungeons are essential. Quest pack is very nice to have some more quest variety.
Visual enhancements are up to you. Personally, I decided not to get DREAM because I don't like those upscaled sprites. Get distant terrain, enhanced sky and real grass - and then see with how much pixellation you can live with.

Smaller dungeons? Blasphemy!

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I tried the latest build and everything’s great but my quest log is empty, including the MQ logs... is that just how it is and I have to start over with a brand new character exclusively for Unity or is there some way to import my character correctly

V_K

Arcane
From the importing faq:

Limitations

Importing classic saves have the following limitations:
  • Some characters might not import successfully. Characters modified by save game editors might be more problematic.
  • Only your character state is imported. Quests and homes are not imported. If you have loot sitting on your ship, please pick it up so you have it with you when you import.
  • Your character will be placed outside near to where you were at time classic save was taken. If you were inside, you will be placed on the ground inside the building shell (just walk out of it). If you were in a dungeon, you will be placed outside near the origin of that world cell.

Restarting Main Quest

At this time, the main quest is not restarted automatically when importing a classic save. if you would like to restart the main quest, you can do so by opening the console with ` key (backspace/tilde key) then entering the below. Press enter after each line.

CODE: SELECT ALL

startquest s0000999
startquest s0000977

The first command starts the main quest backbone (which launches all the other main story quests as conditions are met). The second command starts the Curse of Daggerfall quest that spawns ghosts in Daggerfall city.

The backbone quest will restart from roughly where you left off based on global variable state. For example, if you've already met with Lady Brisienna then this global var will be set and this particular quest will not relaunch. However, global var milestones are quite spread apart and you may need to replay some of the links again to catch up again.

I will improve main quest import from classic saves at some time in the future, but this will always remain a "best effort" kind of thing as the internal quest implementations are so different in each version of the game.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Restarting... hmmmm.....

So you could finish the game, keep your gear and just restart for some odd reason?

deadmeme

Learned
Restarting... hmmmm.....

So you could finish the game, keep your gear and just restart for some odd reason?

Explain please?

You can reenter the dungeon, you keep your loot. In main quest dungeons, main quest items or people of interest are always in the same place.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Really? I guess since i never finished or got beyond just looting random dungeons, I figured quests could be finished and NOT redone.

Now I'm wondering if Arena was the same way. Once I finished base quests and ended the game I'd start a new dude. I guess I never autistically played them like diablo or doom.

V_K

Arcane
Restarting... hmmmm.....

Did you even bother to read the bit I copy-pasted to the end?
The backbone quest will restart from roughly where you left off based on global variable state. For example, if you've already met with Lady Brisienna then this global var will be set and this particular quest will not relaunch. However, global var milestones are quite spread apart and you may need to replay some of the links again to catch up again.

deadmeme

Learned
Really? I guess since i never finished or got beyond just looting random dungeons, I figured quests could be finished and NOT redone.

Now I'm wondering if Arena was the same way. Once I finished base quests and ended the game I'd start a new dude. I guess I never autistically played them like diablo or doom.

Side quests can be abandoned at any time. Go to the quest giver. But you can also reenter the dungeon like I mentioned before, the quest is not failed than, only creatures respawn and the quest target relocates somewhere else (in the same dungeon). There are brick doors that tend to be teleporters (sometimes they are not).

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Level 3 now. Having tons and tons of fun. I found a dungeon that had "Dwemer Puzzle Box" vibes where I needed mummy wraps, entered said location and found said wraps two doors in. It took another 3 hours to "clear" said dungeon (very profitable). This is a truly great game

deadmeme

Learned
I am playing Daggerfall also, with a Nord that uses Blunt, Resoration, Alteration, Destruction. Level 14 now. Main quest dungeons are really big, just a head warning!

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Is there any reason one should play the original Daggerfall instead of the Unity version? Meaning other than nostalgia is there something which the original version is still better? I ask because I am getting an itch to try out the Unity version but don’t want to have to stop midway because I rather play the original

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom