Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight

Pull is fun in JK2 when you max it out and can jump above enemies and pull them a hundred feet up in the air to plummet to their deaths.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
One of the things JK2 definitely did better than the original was making all those powers feel better. It made you feel like you were a badass Jedi as opposed to some schmuck who picked up a lightsaber and can pull weapons. In JK1 quite a few powers in that game were useless or next to useless. I remember the darkside in particular got really shafted.

Gostak

Educated
Jedi Academy?
Gotta try MBII https://moviebattles.org

About the only bad thing is you will notice some individuals there rather blatantly cheat.
What is especially sad is that there are people in denial (which should tell you that those are closet cheaters themselves, an occasionally extremely dumb naive clueless idiot might be among the deniers but mostly they will be in the same boat).
Great fun when you do not notice or mind the cheaters or may be lucky enough to actually catch a time when no such is on the same server.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
One of the things JK2 definitely did better than the original was making all those powers feel better. It made you feel like you were a badass Jedi as opposed to some schmuck who picked up a lightsaber and can pull weapons. In JK1 quite a few powers in that game were useless or next to useless. I remember the darkside in particular got really shafted.
I did feel like a powerful jedi in Dark Forces 2 who can take on an army of stormtroopers with just a lightsaber thanks to the protection power.
Not to say i disliked being a schmuck with a lightsaber, quite the opposite.

The real legends among the powers however, are Jump and Speed. Forget for a moment their amateurish implementation that causes you damage when you run into things or jump into low ceilings, and focus on the fact that they're optional. The developers have actually made sure a normal human can get through the game, start to finish. These powers just makes the game faster which makes putting points in them rewarding, as opposed to the mandatory jumping in Outcast/Academy. There are plenty of elevator rides you can skip with Jump, and Speed makes you go so ludicrously fast that you have to see it to believe it. It's a shame it was changed to a slow motion power in Outcast/Academy.

Good luck doing this jump without maxed jump:

I'm in mission shown above and i already had ~4 instances in this game when jump / speed was mandatory to progress.

I just did it with the jump key. The normal jump key, not even a crouch jump.

Incidentally when looking at the cheat codes list to warp to that level I was amused to find that one of the cheat codes is "deeznuts". Good to see that that specific bit of humor has stayed around.

Last edited:

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
sigard Not only do you have crap taste in games (based on your other posts) but you're terrible at playing games as well! I don't have hands yet never needed or put points into jump and finished this without ever going, "OMG! The developers made this game so hard you need max force poerws to beat it!!" Are you sure classic PC gaming is something you should be into as a hobby? I imagine CoD or some other modern console piece of cr er, game is for you.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Good luck doing this jump without maxed jump:

I'm in mission shown above and i already had ~4 instances in this game when jump / speed was mandatory to progress.

iMfqzDN.png

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I've tried the remaster 3.1.1. Graphically-wise, it's really nice what they've done. They've managed to improve the look of the environment while still preserving the unique atmosphere. That's saying a lot from someone who still likes to play games in 640x480 when it comes to it.
However, there's this thing... For some reason, with the same playstyle (I had completed the whole first mission in the original engine beforehand), enemies' blaster fire hits me almost instantly, and as soon as I see the enemy. What I love about DF and DF II is that you can dance in between the bullets, so to speak. Or do a quick to-and-fro with a shot or two from behind the edges. Even while standing in front of the enemy, one can often anticipate where the blasts would be going to and dodge. These things are no longer the case, or at least it doesn't feel like that.

Last edited:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Erm, kindly please forgive me for using my knee instead of the head. I actually ran the new game in hard and the og in medium. Turns out, it's 95% of the "issue". The rest are the blaster shots looking less crude and, paradoxically, their trajectory being harder to anticipate that way. I cover my face in shame.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I've finished JK1 recently (just vanilla with the mod that makes the game always display high quality models/textures) and had great fun, the game still holds up extremely well.

I then wanted to do JK2, which I only ever finished once upon release, and... what the fuck. What the hell is wrong with shooting in this game? I mean, the blaster in JK1 is super inaccurate (which I guess is accurate lore wise), but still perfectly usable workhorse weapon. Here, you can empty like 100 cells into a small crowd of stormtroopers at point blank range and not hit anything. Even worse, I'm 101% certain a lot of rays go directly into the model, but the hits do not register. It felt so shit that I got tired before even finishing the first level. Was it always like that or was something fucked up along the way of porting/re-releases? I'm playing GOG version with no mods.

catfood

AGAIN
I've finished JK1 recently (just vanilla with the mod that makes the game always display high quality models/textures) and had great fun, the game still holds up extremely well.

I then wanted to do JK2, which I only ever finished once upon release, and... what the fuck. What the hell is wrong with shooting in this game? I mean, the blaster in JK1 is super inaccurate (which I guess is accurate lore wise), but still perfectly usable workhorse weapon. Here, you can empty like 100 cells into a small crowd of stormtroopers at point blank range and not hit anything. Even worse, I'm 101% certain a lot of rays go directly into the model, but the hits do not register. It felt so shit that I got tired before even finishing the first level. Was it always like that or was something fucked up along the way of porting/re-releases? I'm playing GOG version with no mods.
No, that's how the game has always been. The enemies have super thin hitboxes. Shooting is completely fucked in this game, which is one of the reasons why JK 1 is superior to the sequel. You have to bear with it until you get the saber (or cheat I guess). I looked around for a mod that addresses this but I wasn't able to find any. If you manage to find one let me know.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I do remember the game being fun once you get the lightsaber and turn dismemberment on, but I don't know if I can bear it until then.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
That's just the way shooting is in Jedi Outcast...
After a while you get used to it.
I'll also replay the whole series at some point. It has been a while...

catfood

AGAIN
They made the shooting shit on purpose so you can enjoy the saber later on even more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom