Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Same weapon type, same weapon attacks. AoE fire burst. Am I making that up?

Mortmal

Arcane
5. PvP is awful. Invading sucks, straight up. You'll almost always be fighting 1v2/1v3, and the host can easily summon replacement phantoms as needed. There's nothing more painful than losing to 3 people each of which you could have beaten individually. Invasions often devolve into boring stalemates as invaders camp powerful enemies while the host and his legion of phantoms either wait them out or grind enemies down with arrows. Additionally, I played the entire game embered and without summons and only got invaded once outside of the designated covenant areas. So not only do I get thrown into unwinnable 1v3's as an invader, I also miss out on invasions completely as a host.

Told you guys do the pvp after pontiff room people dueling and summoning all the time. The best pvper are there and its really fun , people invading me are not nearly as good. Only frustrated little kids wanting to gank are doing invasions . Now the weak point of pvp is magic, i dont see any interest into playing a magic user, its good for pve , but atrocious for pvp.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
About Firelink.

The dark Firelink area is the creepiest area so far for me. It just feels damn unsettling. Wondering. If that a vision of the future, if the fire wasn't linked in the earlier game?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I think they balanced the armour around the extreme; they didn't want someone stacking iron body/dark power (or whatever it was called that buffed all your stats) and rings to get like 90% resistances like in DS2. So now armour does jack shit, since the other options would have been making those rings/spells do jack shit.

Wolfe

Arbiter
About Firelink.

The dark Firelink area is the creepiest area so far for me. It just feels damn unsettling. Wondering. If that a vision of the future, if the fire wasn't linked in the earlier game?
I've read that it is a version of the Shrine in another timeline in which the Ashen One hadn't got past Iudex Gundyr and thus never succeeded in his/her quest. Anyway, the Handmaid is legitly creepy, the way she hints at something terrible coming if you spend too much time there was a bit terrifying.

Leechmonger

Arbiter
Told you guys do the pvp after pontiff room people dueling and summoning all the time. The best pvper are there and its really fun , people invading me are not nearly as good. Only frustrated little kids wanting to gank are doing invasions . Now the weak point of pvp is magic, i dont see any interest into playing a magic user, its good for pve , but atrocious for pvp.

Great, so decent PvP is restricted to a single location (assuming you're right). I would have followed your advice but I stopped checking this thread a few days ago to avoid spoilers.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
About Firelink.

I've read that it is a version of the Shrine in another timeline in which the Ashen One hadn't got past Iudex Gundyr and thus never succeeded in his/her quest. Anyway, the Handmaid is legitly creepy, the way she hints at something terrible coming if you spend too much time there was a bit terrifying.

I see. Does she say that after you return? Btw, did you give her the Firekeeper eyes? Wtf indeed :)

Wolfe

Arbiter
I see. Does she say that after you return? Btw, did you give her the Firekeeper eyes? Wtf indeed :)

No, no, I'm referring to the Handmaid in the creepy Firelink Shrine, did you miss her? Anyway, I did give the Firekeeper the eyes, it's the condition in order to obtain the second ending.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron

No, no, I'm referring to the Handmaid in the creepy Firelink Shrine, did you miss her? Anyway, I did give the Firekeeper the eyes, it's the condition in order to obtain the second ending.

Huh, I must have missed her completely. I must return then I guess. Where is she? Okay, she urged me to kill her after I gave her the eyes. Didn't do it though, she is one of the few npcs that are still alive in my nexus.

Edit:

Okay, talked to her now. That was creepy yes. Warped the hell out of there :)

Last edited:

Huh, I must have missed her completely. I must return then I guess. Where is she? Okay, she urged me to kill her after I gave her the eyes. Didn't do it though, she is one of the few npcs that are still alive in my nexus.

So what exactly happens if you give her the eyes? The description hinted that you shouldn't give them to her as they would show her things no fire keeper should see. Then the shrine went dark like the one in untended graves and I fought Soul of Cinder.

Wolfe

Arbiter
So what exactly happens if you give her the eyes? The description hinted that you shouldn't give them to her as they would show her things no fire keeper should see. Then the shrine went dark like the one in untended graves and I fought Soul of Cinder.

You can summon her after you defeat SoC in order to get the second or third ending. It is basically the 'walk-away' ending from 1, but with a very interesting twist in the third ending. I went with the second one because I didn't understand the other one well enough.

I also love how the music changes in the Shrine after you give her the eyes. The track is called Secret Betrayal.

You can summon her after you defeat SoC in order to get the second or third ending. It is basically the 'walk-away' ending from 1, but with a very interesting twist in the third ending. I went with the second one because I didn't understand the other one well enough.

I also love how the music changes in the Shrine after you give her the eyes. The track is called Secret Betrayal.

I see. So why does the Fire Keeper betray her purpose? What do the eyes show her?

Wolfe

Arbiter
I see. So why does the Fire Keeper betray her purpose? What do the eyes show her?

The way I understand it is that both you and her were doing this with the ultimate goal of linking the fire. The eyes show her a world full of darkness, but with the promise of tiny flames scattered through the dark in the far future. So you are basically restarting the cycle by letting her snuff out the flame and turning your back on the world, thus the betrayal of your initial purpose, of which no one else knows besides you and her.

Leechmonger

Arbiter

A world without the flame which she's supposed to protect. She mentions seeing a darkness that's different from just being blind, and that she could feel tiny flames in the distance (likely humanity). I'm not sure if humanity's flames are their own, or if the singular flame is split among humanity.

The way I understand it is that both you and her were doing this with the ultimate goal of linking the fire. The eyes show her a world full of darkness, but with the promise of tiny flames scattered through the dark in the far future. So you are basically restarting the cycle by letting her snuff out the flame and turning your back on the world, thus the betrayal of your initial purpose, of which no one else knows besides you and her.

So the hypothesis that the Souls world is cyclical in Fire-Dark is pretty much proved. Didn't play the 2nd one but in the first it is implied that it all began with the Age of Fire and it was the first time that the Fire was failing.

Mortmal

Arcane

Great, so decent PvP is restricted to a single location (assuming you're right). I would have followed your advice but I stopped checking this thread a few days ago to avoid spoilers.

One location yes and covenants are pretty much useless. If only they had designed the game around big hubs you have to cross , for exemple farron wood, no one going to go back there to cross ever or any reasons at all . So theres nothing to kill for the watchdogs. It could have been so easy to make pvp more signifcant and common.Things doesnt change in NG+ either .

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The armor works in PvP.

In fact, I just finished a short session of PvP. At some point in the game I was invaded by an Rapier asshole therefore I wanted to be one.

Got Ricard's Rapier for which the special attack is insane and ... I won quite a few fights. The majority in fact. Which is not normal because I suck. But this weapon requires no tactic: just spam R1 at the right time.

Anyway, armor makes the difference in PvP. Some players get stunned and some don't. So, it seems poise works somehow.

One location yes and covenants are pretty much useless. If only they had designed the game around big hubs you have to cross , for exemple farron wood, no one going to go back there to cross ever or any reasons at all . So theres nothing to kill for the watchdogs. It could have been so easy to make pvp more signifcant and common.Things doesnt change in NG+ either .

Was wandering through Farron Keep, only managed to invade one guy with bad ping.

Went to the area after the Sulyvahn boss fight, got pvp within seconds and connection was great.

Wolfe

Arbiter
So the hypothesis that the Souls world is cyclical in Fire-Dark is pretty much proved. Didn't play the 2nd one but in the first it is implied that it all began with the Age of Fire and it was the first time that the Fire was failing.

Yeah, that's what I understand as well. Anyway, some things still don't make sense, how was Gwyndolin devoured by Aldrich if he was defeated by the Chosen Undead in the first game? The world may cycle infinitely, but do the Gods respawn as well?

Yeah, that's what I understand as well. Anyway, some things still don't make sense, how was Gwyndolin devoured by Aldrich if he was defeated by the Chosen Undead in the first game? The world may cycle infinitely, but do the Gods respawn as well?

"Time is distorted here" as some NPC put it in DS1. Basically license for FROM to insert any plot they want.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Gotta give the game props for the Nameless King, awesome boss, aggressive without being a spammer, dangerous without hitting for 80% of your HP (looking at you here, Dragonslayer Armor), lots of varied moves, most of which can be dodged on reaction, but which come in variable combos. The fight simply has a great rhythm, unlike some of the other hard bosses in DS3, who feel like soulless exercises in roll timing. Plus, I think he's the single boss in this game who managed to actually make me feel pressured and think about when to heal - in retrospect, the speed of the drinking animation and instant recovery allow for very sloppy estus use, and NK was the only boss who punished me for it. If there's one thing I don't like about the fight, is that they just had to give it a totally non-threatening phase 1. At least it looks really cool and doesn't last very long.

On that note, disappointed with Soul of Cinder. It's basically "recycled animations, the boss", and takes the "long, annoying and non-threatening phase 1" concept to heights surpassed only by the Greatwood. It's not bad per se, but like a decent chunk of DS3 in general, it feels like it has no identity of its own, just a bunch of cargo-cult pieces glued together.

I think I also managed to figure out what it is that I find unsatisfying about this game and the direction of series at large, but I'll get to that some other time.

Mortmal

Arcane
Having titatine slab drops, or some respawnable chests with random rewards there could encourage people to farm in those zone too , it wouldnt be so hard to design. The watchdogs are supposed to protect the woods, but theres nothing to protect and hardly any rewards.

Leechmonger

Arbiter
"Time is distorted here" as some NPC put it in DS1. Basically license for FROM to insert any plot they want.

That actually creates a problem from a lore standpoint: either the "here" in "time is distorted here" refers to a specific province/continent/whatever, or it refers to the entire planet. If the former is true, then it makes no sense for the events that occur to affect more than just that area, otherwise you'd think there would be a lot of outside kingdoms who would do something about it. Or the events really do only affect that specific area, but then it doesn't feel that important anymore, since even if everything gets fucked life would still go on in other kingdoms.

If, on the other hand, time is distorted in the entire planet, then how would they even know it's distorted? They'd have no "normal" frame of reference to compare against.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom