Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

"Time is distorted here" as some NPC put it in DS1. Basically license for FROM to insert any plot they want.

That actually creates a problem from a lore standpoint: either the "here" in "time is distorted here" refers to a specific province/continent/whatever, or it refers to the entire planet. If the former is true, then it makes no sense for the events that occur to affect more than just that area, otherwise you'd think there would be a lot of outside kingdoms who would do something about it. Or the events really do only affect that specific area, but then it doesn't feel that important anymore, since even if everything gets fucked life would still go on in other kingdoms.

If, on the other hand, time is distorted in the entire planet, then how would they even know it's distorted? They'd have no "normal" frame of reference to compare against.

I suppose he meant Anor Londo.

Leechmonger

Arbiter
Having titatine slab drops, or some respawnable chests with random rewards there could encourage people to farm in those zone too , it wouldnt be so hard to design. The watchdogs are supposed to protect the woods, but theres nothing to protect and hardly any rewards.

You'd have to restrict it to online-mode, or people would just go offline to farm them.

So the hypothesis that the Souls world is cyclical in Fire-Dark is pretty much proved. Didn't play the 2nd one but in the first it is implied that it all began with the Age of Fire and it was the first time that the Fire was failing.

Yeah, that's what I understand as well. Anyway, some things still don't make sense, how was Gwyndolin devoured by Aldrich if he was defeated by the Chosen Undead in the first game? The world may cycle infinitely, but do the Gods respawn as well?
He is optional boss in ds1 so "canon" has him alive at the end of game.

Sothpaw

Learned
5. PvP is awful. Invading sucks, straight up. You'll almost always be fighting 1v2/1v3, and the host can easily summon replacement phantoms as needed. There's nothing more painful than losing to 3 people each of which you could have beaten individually. Invasions often devolve into boring stalemates as invaders camp powerful enemies while the host and his legion of phantoms either wait them out or grind enemies down with arrows. Additionally, I played the entire game embered and without summons and only got invaded once outside of the designated covenant areas. So not only do I get thrown into unwinnable 1v3's as an invader, I also miss out on invasions completely as a host.

This was so perfect for me as someone who just likes PVE. Oh you want to invade me do you? :troll:

Mortmal

Arcane
Having titatine slab drops, or some respawnable chests with random rewards there could encourage people to farm in those zone too , it wouldnt be so hard to design. The watchdogs are supposed to protect the woods, but theres nothing to protect and hardly any rewards.

You'd have to restrict it to online-mode, or people would just go offline to farm them.
Simple have lesser chances to get something good offline and add more red npcs. Anyway its not hard to make something out of it, its like they made no effort at all to make pvp covenants.

Perkel

Arcane
The armor works in PvP.

In fact, I just finished a short session of PvP. At some point in the game I was invaded by an Rapier asshole therefore I wanted to be one.

Got Ricard's Rapier for which the special attack is insane and ... I won quite a few fights. The majority in fact. Which is not normal because I suck. But this weapon requires no tactic: just spam R1 at the right time.

Anyway, armor makes the difference in PvP. Some players get stunned and some don't. So, it seems poise works somehow.

Not only in pvp.

I started several new characters and tested a bit their gear:

findings:
- Knight has high Poise and absorption on his default armor. It can withstand 1-2 standard attacks of most of mobs without flinching or getting staggered. But will stagger if monster will do heavy attack (those usually with long windup and high damage compared to normal attack)
- Knight with Claymore. Looks like attacks have different poise values (adder or multiplied ?). With standard attack i can get easily staggered provided mob will use better strike than normal one. When i do weapon skill it rarely does even with heavier strike.
- Thief with dagger. Usually can't stagger when i hit first time and monster quickly counter attack when they do stagger once i fire up combo.

Need to play more with heavier weapons to confirm.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
how do people complain about poor characters in DS3. Was there any interesting NPC in the previous games?
Maybe some people dont like rehashes after rehash just for the sake of fandom? Or some people dont like npc quests having states as obscure as fuck because lol Miyazaki?

sullynathan

Arcane
how do people complain about poor characters in DS3. Was there any interesting NPC in the previous games?
Maybe some people dont like rehashes after rehash just for the sake of fandom? Or some people dont like npc quests having states as obscure as fuck because lol Miyazaki?
That's not what I'm asking. I'm surprised that anyone brings up characters in a souls game. Its something I've never discussed with anyone even here on the codex and I don't know many that even mention characters of the souls series except for Solarie dickriding.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I think the lore is sort of interesting from a mythology perspective but really don't care about individual characters. Except Solaire. PRAISE THE SUN!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I don't think it's been determined but most of the community will probably focus around 125-150 level builds.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finished the game just now. Still no idea on what the hell was going on. Basically my guy wakes up from some sort of slumber, I have to kill masses of undead and so called cinder lords, then at the end
I summon the firekeeper, everything goes black - the end. I guess I ushered in mankind? Like that worm thingy wanted to do in DS1? I have no idea.

Overall. The game was fun. But I didn't feel like this was a true Dark Souls game. The mystique behind it is gone. Felt a-lot less immersed this time around. Think the whole thing, the theme of things got lost after DS1. Miyazakis Deamon Souls and first Ds felt like a true love child, but DS 2,3 is more like the expected money making sequel.

Sothpaw

Learned
Overall. The game was fun. But I didn't feel like this was a true Dark Souls game. The mystique behind it is gone. Felt a-lot less immersed this time around. Think the whole thing, the theme of things got lost after DS1. Miyazakis Deamon Souls and first Ds felt like a true love child, but DS 2,3 is more like the expected money making sequel.

Did you play Bloodborne? I feel like it's better than DS3 and DS2. It's certainly better than DS2 and was a nice bounce back for the studio.

Leechmonger

Arbiter

That's how I see it too. Partly because the first two broke new ground in different ways, partly because there are specific things that they do better than the later games (ambiance, lore, gameplay).

Leechmonger

Arbiter
Are the servers currently taking a massive shit? I tried PvP outside the church but literally every person I come across is stuck in "sliding around with no animations" mode.

EDIT: restarting the game fixed it. Good job From.

Last edited:

80Maxwell08

Arcane
I really wonder what all those people posting personal rankings have against DS2. Why?
Probably all the over-promising before launch, which if that's the reason is one I can definitely agree with. I'm not just talking about the graphical downgrade here. I remember interviews where the whole theme of the game was going to be about the curse of hollowing and really delving into it. Where bosses would be a constant threat throughout the level instead of only being at the end. When the open-beta was a lot darker and harder than what would be released (at least from opinions of the people here who actually managed to get in). I've grown to like DS2 a lot more than at release, mostly in part to the DLCs and SotFS edition on PS4 that runs at 60FPS, but I still remember how much disappointment I had when I first played vanilla at launch.

sullynathan

Arcane
I really wonder what all those people posting personal rankings have against DS2. Why?
DS2 base game just isn't as good as DS1 and if DS3 is a copy of DS1 then you can see why some would consider it to be better than DS2. Plus DS2 has all that stun locking garbage in it and lazy bosses.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
DS2 base game just isn't as good as DS1 and if DS3 is a copy of DS1 then you can see why some would consider it to be better than DS2. Plus DS2 has all that stun locking garbage in it and lazy bosses.

I consider DS1 and DS2 to be very good games, one being an upgrade to the other. I come from a more PVP point of view and 2 was the pinnacle for that. I also like to delve into some lore. 3 adds NOTHING in both terms. People like me keep the game alive, doing pvp all the time, looking for quirky little stuff to wonder about the lore. DS3 adds nothing to this and I really wonder what people love about this game.

In terms of replaybility and overall fun, DS2/w DLC is the best game of the series.

Mystary!

Arcane
Nameless King
:rage:
Without a doubt the hardest boss in the series for me.
Tried more than 20 times but lost count after I ran out of humanities embers.

It was the first time I seriously felt like something was unbeatable. It didn't seem possible because I never even got close. But when I eventually figured it out - on my own, the hard way - it was the best feeling in the world.
Something just clicked and I knew I had him.
The trick was
keeping your distance and baiting his lunge attacks, as those left him open. If you stay close he will just keep spamming his combos over and over again and there's simlpy not enough stamina to keep up with that and still get attacks in...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom