Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I consider DS1 and DS2 to be very good games, one being an upgrade to the other. I come from a more PVP point of view and 2 was the pinnacle for that. I also like to delve into some lore. 3 adds NOTHING in both terms. People like me keep the game alive, doing pvp all the time, looking for quirky little stuff to wonder about the lore. DS3 adds nothing to this and I really wonder what people love about this game.

In terms of replaybility and overall fun, DS2/w DLC is the best game of the series.

This is pretty much how I look at it too. From what I've played of DS3, I'd have to say DS2 > DeS > DS1 >> Bloodborne > DS3

I really enjoyed the smoothness of DS2. DS1 never quite caught with me and DeS has a soft spot because it's the first game I'd played like it. Didn't like Bloodborne much but I thought the setting and visuals were cool. DS3 feels like a rehash-fusion of Dark Souls and Bloodborne and is the worse for it.

sullynathan

Arcane
I really wonder what all those people posting personal rankings have against DS2. Why?
DS2 base game just isn't as good as DS1 and if DS3 is a copy of DS1 then you can see why some would consider it to be better than DS2. Plus DS2 has all that stun locking garbage in it and lazy bosses.

I consider DS1 and DS2 to be very good games, one being an upgrade to the other. I come from a more PVP point of view and 2 was the pinnacle for that. I also like to delve into some lore. 3 adds NOTHING in both terms. People like me keep the game alive, doing pvp all the time, looking for quirky little stuff to wonder about the lore. DS3 adds nothing to this and I really wonder what people love about this game.

In terms of replaybility and overall fun, DS2/w DLC is the best game of the series.
so why is the pvp for DS3 worse than base DS2 pvp?

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I really wonder what all those people posting personal rankings have against DS2. Why?
DS2 base game just isn't as good as DS1 and if DS3 is a copy of DS1 then you can see why some would consider it to be better than DS2. Plus DS2 has all that stun locking garbage in it and lazy bosses.

so why is the pvp for DS3 worse than base DS2 pvp?

Because mechanics went back to DS1 (r1 spam, shit backstabs), poise is useless, spells are useless etc.

DS2 meta was about 1v1 duels, DS3 is like roflmao phantom spam everything goes. Covenants are repeats of same mistakes ( no one goes way of blue/blue sentinels), two covenants are basically the same, red invaders got the shit end of the stick, no basic straightforward dragonbro signs and duels, no real area to do duels etc.

Ds3 feels like DS0.5 in terms of pvp mechanics. Not even talking about the netcode which was shit in DS1, bearable in 2 and now is abysmal in 3. Players dancing around in T model pose lmao.

sullynathan

Arcane
I thought toro just mentioned that poise works in pvp but not pve a few pages ago. Why do you guys keep using meta what does it even mean? I've seen people dueling as red phantoms on videos.

Murk

Arcane
Are you asking what 'meta' means? It means the general agreed upon rules for how the game works. Stuff like optimal builds, how certain things should be handled, or even strategies/techniques.

Poise seems to not work at allllll. Also, who the fuck was the poor intern that had to figure out which armor piece gets 1.3 poise and which gets 1.5.

The estus chug shit is ass. I have no idea what the fuck they were thinking. At least in BB you get a gunshot to counter vials, in this it just turns the fight into a battle of attrition.

sullynathan

Arcane
Are you asking what 'meta' means? It means the general agreed upon rules for how the game works. Stuff like optimal builds, how certain things should be handled, or even strategies/techniques.

Poise seems to not work at allllll. Also, who the fuck was the poor intern that had to figure out which armor piece gets 1.3 poise and which gets 1.5.

The estus chug shit is ass. I have no idea what the fuck they were thinking. At least in BB you get a gunshot to counter vials, in this it just turns the fight into a battle of attrition.
:philosoraptor: So that's why souls players are always butthurt when someone attacks in pvp instead of saluting.

Perkel

Arcane

Several reasons.

- They basically threw out bunch of places they were making and they literally stitched together what was left. I mean you take elevator up from top of the windmill to castle sunk into molten lava. That is like crime against any level design. They just had to make that elevator go down and this would be such eyesore and yet here we are. And this isn't only iron keep problem.
- Due to level design most of encounters didn't have any design behind it too. Basically you walk into new place and you fight standing enemies that is like 90% of the game encounter design.
- Bosses, half of them shouldn't even be ones.

So three pillars of DS game level design, encounter design and boss design basically lay flat on face. DLC sure improved a lot those 3 but again you have to play whole game to get to those DLCs and DLCs can't fix your whole feeling of the game.

edit : but hey they fixed online now all of fedora wearing bros will wait on bridge saluting each other and fight in faggot matches that destroys whole idea of DS online model. (at least dragon conv has reason for it)

Reminds me of faggots in DS1 playing forest covenant trying to go one vs one where whole point of forest covenant is to stop invaders from reaching sif.

What is worse that disease comes to DS3. I got invaded by red phantom and was wearing coventant of blue piece . Blue Sentinel came and that faggot stood there watching me fight and kill that dude.

Last edited:

made

Arcane
- Due to level design most of encounters didn't have any design behind it too. Basically you walk into new place and you fight standing enemies that is like 90% of the game encounter design.
Wasn't that true for all DS games? It certainly is for DS3. Most enemies either stand around waiting to be killed or at best patrol a very small perimeter. Also every fog door has a boss sitting behind it. In DS1 you never knew if there was a boss waiting on the other side or a shortcut/bonfire. That suspense is now gone.

Murk

Arcane

:philosoraptor: So that's why souls players are always butthurt when someone attacks in pvp instead of saluting.

Man, the honor fags (which is most souls players) are the worst kind of spergs. When grinding blue cov rank in ds 2 I was so fucking sick of that shit. I think I wasted like a week of my life just watching the cunts do their stupid bows and buffing animations.

God I hate these games why the fuck do I play them.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
One location yes and covenants are pretty much useless. If only they had designed the game around big hubs you have to cross.

They absolutely should've designed the game more around PvP, it's what makes it interesting and lasting.

For example even in DS1 I didn't understand why you have to make a special effort and spend a rare resource to open yourself to invasions? Shouldn't it be the other way around? You're open to invasion as a hollow and the only way to prevent it is to spend a humanity?

As for covenants, again, you'd think it's only logical a covenant like the Forest Hunters or Bell Keepers or Watchdogs makes sense only in a game where you HAVE to repeatedly cross a certain area. Problem is neither Darkroot Garden nor the Farron Keep is a place you have to return to. Plus as I said it's illogically easy to prevent invasions. Also they should've hidden the best spells and items as covenant rewards so people have some incentive to participate. It's such a super cool concept but it's so fucked up by the dev and therefore so underused by the players.

Perkel

Arcane
edit: Holy fuck they fixed BLEED. I am playing currently thief with bandit knife and i pretty much get bloodloss almost every single time sometimes even on small enemies.

Wasn't that true for all DS games? It certainly is for DS3. Most enemies either stand around waiting to be killed or at best patrol a very small perimeter. Also every fog door has a boss sitting behind it. In DS1 you never knew if there was a boss waiting on the other side or a shortcut/bonfire. That suspense is now gone.

Difference here is that enemy placement has some sense in it. You rarely find enemies standing just alone. There is always something to it. You see enemy alone chance is that there will be friends you don't see or you can fall below where something else will get you or there is hole which is hard to see before him and so on. You can see it perfectly in undead settlement where ton of enemies have cover from other enemies either via ranged or hidden. So far DS3 has best encounter design from all DS games.

To make a point more clear. Standing enemy is not the problem here it is what happens when you start to fight that enemy is what matters. In case of DS2 nothing happens as most of encounter design is just "more enemies !" especially in SoTFS.

Shrine of Amana is good example of good encounter design. Sure there are standing enemies but you have this complex mess of support that you had to deal with which isn't easy and hidden ground you also needs to be aware off. DS3 is like that almost whole game not just parts.

mediocrepoet

Patron

Difference here is that enemy placement has some sense in it. You rarely find enemies standing just alone. There is always something to it. You see enemy alone chance is that there will be friends you don't see or you can fall below where something else will get you or there is hole which is hard to see before him and so on. You can see it perfectly in undead settlement where ton of enemies have cover from other enemies either via ranged or hidden. So far DS3 has best encounter design from all DS games.

To make a point more clear. Standing enemy is not the problem here it is what happens when you start to fight that enemy is what matters. In case of DS2 nothing happens as most of encounter design is just "more enemies !" especially in SoTFS.

Shrine of Amana is good example of good encounter design. Sure there are standing enemies but you have this complex mess of support that you had to deal with which isn't easy and hidden ground you also needs to be aware off. DS3 is like that almost whole game not just parts.

So you mean like the archers in the forest of fallen giants areas, the greatbow knights in iron keep, the miracle priestesses in dragon shrine... that sort of thing? Yeah, that was nowhere to be found in DS2.

I wonder if any of you fags praising DS2 pvp played it on release? Cause nothing worked there and the amount of broken shit was staggering. From stacking buffs which made you pretty much untouchable with GMB+Sacred Path+Numbness+Dark Weapon+HCM+reasonant Flesh+ to double Avelyns in Havels or Helix/Mastodon Spear...R1 spam in DS3 is awful? lol as if Tanimura rush with L1+R1 spam was any better. Bat Staff+Dark fog instant poison? Instant parry with Monastery scimitar? Santiers spear shitters? Getting OHK with mundane dagger backstab?

Here you have some brief history lessons

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=309190941

DS2 pvp is right now best in series and Vendrick is best bro out of all kings but it took them about one fucking year of constant patches and dlcs before they get there and I dont think poise worked in this game until SotFS edition.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Looks like they patched out the tree trick on Firelink... Such a shame since those little tricks are a staple of the series.

Steve

Augur
PVP fags are the worst kind of fags. Take your honorabru katana duel and shove it down your ass. Souls games have never been designed around PVP and never will be.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Beat the game. It was very good, but too short and too easy. Only a few bosses did I have to retry more than a couple times. Most I beat on my first try, many on my second try. I still have a few optional bosses to kill though. I used nothing but the basic longsword from start to finish, upgraded it to +10 and Heavy.

Shame about the PvP, it will hurt the longevity of the game. Bloodborne had the same problem and the PvP scene is basically non-existant.

The game will get two expansions, so my hopes are one expansion focused on PvP stuff and one introducing a feature similar to Chalice dungeons from Bloodborne, but hopefully fixing the problems Chalice dungeons had in that game.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Difference here is that enemy placement has some sense in it.

Shrine of Amana is good example of good encounter design.

Yes, and most of DS3 is basically one huge Shrine of Amana. From midgame on there are a lot of places you have to approach like a puzzle, you can't just run through. Clerics healing knights, hollows places on ramparts shooting you with fire arrows and hucking Loyd's Talismans at you, Abyss monsters popping out at strategic places, very cool.

PVP fags are the worst kind of fags. Take your honorabru katana duel and shove it down your ass. Souls games have never been designed around PVP and never will be.

Oh the stench of butthurt. What did those mean PvP bullies do to you bro? :lol:

mediocrepoet

Patron
Yes, and most of DS3 is basically one huge Shrine of Amana. From midgame on there are a lot of places you have to approach like a puzzle, you can't just run through. Clerics healing knights, hollows places on ramparts shooting you with fire arrows and hucking Loyd's Talismans at you, Abyss monsters popping out at strategic places, very cool.

Guess I'll have to go further in it. So far I haven't liked the feeling of either stunlocking or being stunlocked by random mobs. Shields feel worthless, which is fine since I often play without one, but it still changes the overall feel of the game to being more like Bloodborne.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Shame about the PvP, it will hurt the longevity of the game. Bloodborne had the same problem and the PvP scene is basically non-existant.

What same problems? As I see it the main problem in DS3 is badly designed poise. You can swing a puny longsword and chain stagger people in Havel armor. That's idiotic. But BB didn't have any armor or poise, at least from what I've seen on YT, since it's all light clothes? Plus BB is PS4 exclusive so no wonder the community is much smaller.

Yeah, you can wear Grass Crest Shield on your back for dat stamina regen.

Really? Didn't try the Grass Shield but I tested the Shield of Want and you only get extra souls if you actually hold it in your hand. It does nothing on your back.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom