Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
4k people on scholar right now; oddly populated given that ds 3 is freshly out -- i figured everyone would be on it instead

Well it's easily the better game. :) I too put that PoS down and went to DS2 again to get my pvp fix.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Btw I've been watching some dude's playthrough where he was running with a longsword and a falchion for the entire game and just cutting through the content that gave me so much grief. And there was only one reason - Stagger Souls my friends. Just bumrush mobs and start hacking at them with your puny little sabre and they stagger with every single hit, even the beefiest ones like the Winged Knights.

Remembering how painful it was fighting some mobs with my greatswords and greathammers and crying nao. Is that what people mean when they say poise doesn't work in this game?

Yes.

Edit: They just released a patch for your GS:

• Performance adjustment for "Greatsword"
  • Battle performance adjustment for "Dancer's Enchanted Sword", "Winged Knight Twinaxes"
  • Performance adjustment for "Soul's Greatsword", and "Farron Flashsword"
  • Fix for issue where multiple items become impossible to use at "Road of Sacrifices", "Farron Keep", "Cathedral of the Deep" after clearing the game
  • General balance adjustments and bug fixes

Last edited:

GrainWetski

Arcane
Btw I've been watching some dude's playthrough where he was running with a longsword and a falchion for the entire game and just cutting through the content that gave me so much grief. And there was only one reason - Stagger Souls my friends. Just bumrush mobs and start hacking at them with your puny little sabre and they stagger with every single hit, even the beefiest ones like the Winged Knights.

Remembering how painful it was fighting some mobs with my greatswords and greathammers and crying nao. Is that what people mean when they say poise doesn't work in this game?
Some enemies have certain attacks that they will randomly use while you stagger them that have infinite poise, but you can still just stagger most things to death with faster weapons. Certain Weapon Arts have higher poise for you as well, but you're better off just spamming R1.

The combat is pretty damn stupid in this game. Just the way Bloodborne tards like it apparently.

I feel like I have no poise at all. No defense. No resists. Nothing.

Unlike previous games, this will never really change.

Dark 3=Dark 2's DLC>Bloodborne>Dark 1>Demon's>Dark 2
In reality, it's DS 1/DeS > DS3 > DS2(vanilla) > Bloodborne.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I made it through pretty much the entire game with nothing but a refined longsword (later upgraded to +10), a fire longsword (also later upgraded to +10), and a knight crossbow (upgraded to +6). I'm trying out the fully upgraded Nameless King Scimitar for NG+, and it's even easier now that I can hit almost as hard but even quicker. It's basically just down to doing enough damage to stagger then, with a weapon that hits quickly enough to get them in a stagger-lock so you can kill them without giving them a chance to hit back.

But yeah, poise just doesn't really work, especially not for you. You can be wearing the heaviest gear in the game and still be staggered-locked to death by rats.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
You can be wearing the heaviest gear in the game and still be staggered-locked to death by rats.

But muh refined mechanics

And as expected, the guy who claimed the same thing couple of pages ago doesn't explain what exactly is "refined" about mechanics. Miyazakifags never change

Edit:

toro said:
Edit: They just released a patch for your GS:

• Performance adjustment for "Greatsword"
  • Battle performance adjustment for "Dancer's Enchanted Sword", "Winged Knight Twinaxes"
  • Performance adjustment for "Soul's Greatsword", and "Farron Flashsword"
  • Fix for issue where multiple items become impossible to use at "Road of Sacrifices", "Farron Keep", "Cathedral of the Deep" after clearing the game
  • General balance adjustments and bug fixes

Is that all of the patchnotes? I thought they were gonna patch the multiplayer connectivity :S

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's basically just down to doing enough damage to stagger then, with a weapon that hits quickly enough to get them in a stagger-lock so you can kill them without giving them a chance to hit back.

Yeah exactly. It's very stupid.

The only case I had an easier time was with beefy NPC invaders like Tsorig. Dude with a falchion couldn't stagger him and was getting repeatedly raped but me with my badass Old Demon King greathammer could. So it seems poise does sort of work, you just have to have a shitton of it.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
there's one major mechanic improvement in this version that I haven't seen in any souls games since DeS, tho: Hitboxes (not PvP) so far have been completley flawless.

Enemy grab attacks, especially that fat missionary chick, still have ridicolous range, I once was grabbed while I rolled to her back. In DS2 you had the adaptibility stat for that, in DS3 you're shit out of luck

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Grabs are like that in literally every Souls game.

By the way, is it just me being unlucky, or is anyone else getting hit a lot while getting up after being knocked down? It would happen occasionally in previous games, but here it's multiple times per play session - seems like enemies just continue swinging above your body as you get up, and this often results in getting hit without being able to avoid it in any way. Yesterday, Dragonslayer Armor even shield-bashed my character's lying body off his platform.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Grabs are like that in literally every Souls game.

By the way, is it just me being unlucky, or is anyone else getting hit a lot while getting up after being knocked down? It would happen occasionally in previous games, but here it's multiple times per play session - seems like enemies just continue swinging above your body as you get up, and this often results in getting hit without being able to avoid it in any way. Yesterday, Dragonslayer Armor even shield-bashed my character's lying body off his platform.

Haven't noticed it much in D1/2.

As for laying on the ground, you stand up faster if you spam roll+directional keys

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So a mage is a lot of fun on NG+. That's how sorcery is meant to be played - starting with 50 INT. I deliberately didn't buy the advanced spells from Orbeck at the end of my first run so I'm not too overpowered from the get go and it worked out. Game forces you to use weapons too. Holding a highly upgraded Simple infused weapon AND a shield regenerates your FP like 1 point per second which is neat. That way you melee the trash and leave magic only for tough mobs which is not trivial either what with how fast and aggressive most of them are.

Only problem I have is PvP, both my magic and my Serpent Man Hatchet are too slow when literally everyone is spamming katanas or longswords. Maybe I Crystal infuse a Dark Sword just for that.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
really? ive never had that. all the telegraphed grab attacks i have been able to either roll out of or take it and know I was at fault.

This, except for that jumpy swamp thing, that one is a bitch. First, he jumps and grabs and the same time without much telegraphing so it's very hard to dodge. And then he just chain-grabs you when you're trying to get up and roll away.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
What I mean, is that grabs generally have a bigger hitbox than it seems, and when you get grabbed while away from the enemy's visible model, the game will teleport your character to where it thinks it should be. That's where half the gifs about DS2 hitboxes came from. Of course, retards wouldn't know that this is exactly how grabs behave in every single Souls game, but what can you do.

Mortmal

Arcane
really? ive never had that. all the telegraphed grab attacks i have been able to either roll out of or take it and know I was at fault.

This, except for that jumpy swamp thing, that one is a bitch. First, he jumps and grabs and the same time without much telegraphing so it's very hard to dodge. And then he just chain-grabs you when you're trying to get up and roll away.

you mean the wolf-goat-mutant-tentaclehead monster? that's probably the most infurating enemy of the whole game, not far below the lion warriors of DS2. I died more to those things in swamps/Izalith than to anything else p sure. I think if you don't get the first hit on those you are as good as dead, I could find no other decent strategy to deal with them.

What I mean, is that grabs generally have a bigger hitbox than it seems, and when you get grabbed while away from the enemy's visible model, the game will teleport your character to where it thinks it should be. That's where half the gifs about DS2 hitboxes came from. Of course, retards wouldn't know that this is exactly how grabs behave in every single Souls game, but what can you do.

well sure, cuz grabs are difficult to animate-sync im assuming, but i think DS3 is far less egregious in its teleportation grabbing than DS1/2 were.

5 firebombs thats all it take and you get the titanite drops, wich you dont if you one hit the guy before mutation.

Pvping seems a bit off. I like having random coop sessions with other players, running through the map. Helping each other out, finding secrets and so on. But for some god damn reason, every-time I join somebody, or somebody join me it's like me opening up PvP Central - All are welcome! It can get funny. Had Blue bros joining, other invaders. It usually turns into a small skirmish with up to 6-7 people. But the annoying thing is how every single invader is trying to use other mobs to attack us. Every single time, and it just slows down the game to a crawl. Oh, you are standing next to a dragon and urging me to attack? Sure buddy. I get it though. It's suicide to attack two players, but damn...

Do you get summoned with white soapstone or what do you do? Also, what level are you? I am bored of melee and wanna do pyro but low levels are absolutely non-viable with magic.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

well sure, cuz grabs are difficult to animate-sync im assuming, but i think DS3 is far less egregious in its teleportation grabbing than DS1/2 were.

They're pretty much the same as far as I can tell, gotten teleported by Pontiff's stab and Dancer's grab in the exact same way it would happen in DS2 on Pursuer for example. This wasn't so readily apparent in DS1, as that game had much fewer grabs in general, but you can get teleported by super Ornstein's stab just as well.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
So a mage is a lot of fun on NG+. That's how sorcery is meant to be played - starting with 50 INT. I deliberately didn't buy the advanced spells from Orbeck at the end of my first run so I'm not too overpowered from the get go and it worked out. Game forces you to use weapons too. Holding a highly upgraded Simple infused weapon AND a shield regenerates your FP like 1 point per second which is neat. That way you melee the trash and leave magic only for tough mobs which is not trivial either what with how fast and aggressive most of them are.

Only problem I have is PvP, both my magic and my Serpent Man Hatchet are too slow when literally everyone is spamming katanas or longswords. Maybe I Crystal infuse a Dark Sword just for that.

Wait for the Rapier guys. Homing R1 spam all day. 8+ hits. And if they hit you once then you are fucked :)

Perkel

Arcane

They're pretty much the same as far as I can tell, gotten teleported by Pontiff's stab and Dancer's grab in the exact same way it would happen in DS2 on Pursuer for example. This wasn't so readily apparent in DS1, as that game had much fewer grabs in general, but you can get teleported by super Ornstein's stab just as well.

Difference here is that in case of pursuer there isn't any leeway. If you get hit in toe while you roll you will still get grabbed.

In case of dance i didn't notice any behavior like that. I had to actually get in his proper grab place to get grabbed and if i just move a bit his grab would miss. For grabs i am yet to get any in DS3 that is unfair or has weird hitbox.

Mystary!

Arcane
Only wtf moment for me so far was when I backstabbed a Darkwraith while he was charging his darkhand attack and it still hit me and interrupted the backstab mid animation, and it wasnt just the connecting animation that sometimes misses when someone steps out of range, it was the actual backstab animation...

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Man NPC interaction sure is confusing this time around. Especially that hollow/darkmoon thing.
they sure have a lovely way of conducting a marriage.

Meanwhile I managed to beat Yhorm on my first try, got teleported away before I could touch the bonfire and was stupid enough to approach that statue without spending my beloved souls at the firekeeper. Guess what? Fighting dancer with almost no estus left and actually beat her/him was the best thing so far for me in DS3. I now really think there is way to much healing in this game.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Game probably shouldn't go above 10 max Estus, but with the way you actually find shards in the world, they had to place a few more so idiot streamers who rush through the game would have enough healing for endgame. I'm currently deep in endgame and I have 14 +8 Estus or something ridiculous like that.

Difference here is that in case of pursuer there isn't any leeway. If you get hit in toe while you roll you will still get grabbed.

In case of dance i didn't notice any behavior like that. I had to actually get in his proper grab place to get grabbed and if i just move a bit his grab would miss. For grabs i am yet to get any in DS3 that is unfair or has weird hitbox.

And it would be the same in DS2 with a 13 iframe roll. Seriously bro, it's literally the same. Want me to find some videos of this happening in DS3 for you?

Mortmal

Arcane

you mean the wolf-goat-mutant-tentaclehead monster? that's probably the most infurating enemy of the whole game, not far below the lion warriors of DS2. I died more to those things in swamps/Izalith than to anything else p sure. I think if you don't get the first hit on those you are as good as dead, I could find no other decent strategy to deal with them.

5 firebombs thats all it take and you get the titanite drops, wich you dont if you one hit the guy before mutation.

I think we are talking about the goat-like jumping creatures in farron keep, they're called Ghrus i believe
Ah thoe goat, easy too, just block with a shield, let them finish their sequence and hit. Works with pretty much anything, high sta+ shield .

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The most annoying enemies for me were the huge goat things with the tree trunk staffs in the swamp.. Their fireball spam isn't so bad.. but just their moveset.. locking on was suicide for me.. very annoying until I learned all their moves and when their explosion was coming.

Also the pack of 3.. fucking annoying.

fuck those guys..

so annoying.

Grimlorn

Arcane
without spoiling the game, has anyone made it to NG+ with dark sigl? So after you gain free levels from the sorcery guy, you have the option of healing the dark sigil with the fire keeper, the cost is however many souls it takes to level up and you have to pay for all free levels at once. This gets more and more costly as you level up. I got 4 free levels before the guy died, I'm wondering if I make it to NG+ whether I will still have to pay for those 4 free levels or if it resets.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom