Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Dark Souls PC Previews at RPS and Eurogamer

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Because 99,9% of people don't keep their PCs next to their TVs.
Then I must be that 0,1%.

thesisko

Emissary
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Because 99,9% of people don't keep their PCs next to their TVs.
And the solution for those people is to get a fucking console instead of another PC which they proceed to hook up to their TV? A mini-ITX based one with a dual-core Pentium or quad-core Phenom + a HD7770 would set you back about $500.

It's a shame that console games lack M+KB support or you could stick one on your desktop as well and start sucking Sony/M$ cock full time.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I understand some people could like Derp Souls, I suppose, but mis-leading people into thinking it's the greatest game of the last few years is beyond retarded and absolutely ban worthy.

Knights of the Chalice
Dark Souls
Bayonetta (maybe)

That's all I can really classify as truly great that has been released the last three years, and I've even got serious reservations on one. Of course, I'm disregarding titles from real niche genres and only counting those that have more of a wide appeal (if not a wide marketing campaign; Knights can certainly appeal to a lot of people in a way that).

I'm curious...what would you say are some the greatest games of the last three years? Discounting ultra-niche stuff (i.e. Matrix games titles, obscure DotA clones, pigeon dating sims), can you list some stuff, brother? Because I'm not seeing em'. In all honesty, I'd be curious to see what I may have missed. Of course this is probably an exercise in futility for both of us, probably due to a huge gulf in personal tastes...but whatever.
You discount stuff like Matrix games, but count KotC? (Though yes, it's obviously a much better game than DS)

Anyway, going cross-genre is a bit pointless, for me for example every Paradox game pisses all over DS from a very great height, but comparing them seems silly.

Concerning Japanese rpgs games like the Dark Spire or Etrian Odyssey III are imho much better than DS. I don't think DS stands out much in any area bar its atmosphere, which is really fucking top notch. The thing is - both parts of DS are PS3 games that are not downright herp-derp horrible. And every such game gets hyped to all hell and back.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
it appears that Dark Souls PC uses the very same 1024x720 internal framebuffer as the console versions
Oh come on, why would anyone in a sane mind want to make their game look worse by not changing 2 numbers in a render engine?
I'm ready to handle the crappy textures and models from consoles, even gfwl - but this is unforgivable.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Will we have news on every console "RPG" posted now?
A terrible travesty.

It's a console game ported to PC (like Mass Effect for instance) so that makes it a PC game now.
I will try this game out to see what the fuss is all about and whether it really is "challenging", or whether it's just console players not being used to even the slightest difficulty. Goddamn console players.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Will we have news on every console "RPG" posted now?
A terrible travesty.

It's a console game ported to PC (like Mass Effect for instance) so that makes it a PC game now.
I will try this game out to see what the fuss is all about and whether it really is "challenging", or whether it's just console players not being used to even the slightest difficulty. Goddamn console players.
inb4 VoD comes back weeping that this game is not hard, it's just that the controls are shit. (they aren't)

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
How do you know the controls aren't shit? Already played the game?
Played a preview version not while ago. (Mainstream journalism for the win!) I think the K+M controls are OK. Not that it matters, this game meant to be played by a gamepad. :smug:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
OK? As in: worse than gamepad?
I think you can easily play the game with K+M, since the controls are pretty simple in the game. But I think this game is meant to be played with a gamepad. I know that K+M is superior in a lot of cases, but in a third person game using a melee combat system, a gamepad is better. So in this case K+B<gamepad.

made

Arcane
Right. Compared to TW2 - which was perfectly playable with K&M but people still claimed a pad were superior - are the controls better/worse/the same?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
I think the K+M controls in TW2 were very good. If I have to compare the two, I'd say TW2 has better K+M control than DS. Especially if you are navigating in the inventory and other menus.

Eurogamer said:
you're still going to be playing at 30FPS out of the box, as widely rumoured.

Is this that much of a problem? Since my PC's are always behind the times I've often been thankful that I could manage that much. I've played entire games barely above 20 FPS. Isn't 30 enough to look "fluid" to the human eye?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Eurogamer said:
you're still going to be playing at 30FPS out of the box, as widely rumoured.

Is this that much of a problem? Since my PC's are always behind the times I've often been thankful that I could manage that much. I've played entire games barely above 20 FPS. Isn't 30 enough to look "fluid" to the human eye?
It is enough for this game. It might look a little bit more fluid with 60 fps, but 30 is sufficient.

DraQ

Arcane
Games for Windows Live
Sounds like anyone interested will be better off going with seven seas version instead of paying the price game allegedly deserves but getting a crippleware.

What a shame.

Yea i actualy wanted to buy it, but GfWL, plus Steam, plus godawfull port from consoles 1:1
fuck that, time to set sails high
Chalk up another one for the anti piracy crew - keep fighting a good fight guys.
:roll:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Lack of knowledge or abundance of laziness?
Can you elaborate? Because otherwise it's just farts in the wind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom