Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Dark Souls PC Previews at RPS and Eurogamer

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I say: "why would you not just hook up your PC and controller to your TV"

You say: "Because people don't do that." (now tell me about farts in the wind)

I assume you must mean people don't know how to or are too lazy to do it.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I think I'm trolling

Why wouldn't I just hook up my PC with my controller to my TV? :O

oh right i do that
Because 99,9% of people don't keep their PCs next to their TVs.

That's not an argument, that's a statement about peoples' lack of knowledge or abundance of laziness.
No, it is about comfortably furnishing your house. Because TVs usually are in the living room, and PCs are in the bedroom/working room.

thesisko

Emissary
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
No, it is about comfortably furnishing your house. Because TVs usually are in the living room, and PCs are in the bedroom/working room.
I'm pretty fucking comfortable having this in my living room instead of a plastic toy. Even more so when it replaces a bunch of other shitty looking boxes like DVR/DVD.

But hey, if your fashion sense is so retarded that you prefer a bunch of inferior devices in ugly plastic boxes instead of one magnificent brushed aluminum PC that performs all of their functions 10 times better then so be it.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm pretty fucking comfortable having this in my living room instead of a plastic toy. Even more so when it replaces a bunch of other shitty looking boxes like DVR/DVD.

But hey, if your fashion sense is so retarded that you prefer a bunch of inferior devices in ugly plastic boxes instead of one magnificent brushed aluminum PC that performs all of their functions 10 times better then so be it.
If we are talking about fashion sense, a shiny PS3 looks 10 x better than your matte black metal box.

thesisko

Emissary
If we are talking about fashion sense, a shiny PS3 looks 10 x better than your matte black metal box.
Get a shiny plastic box then, unlike shitty consoles you can put your PC into anything you like.

So your entire argument boils down to "I prefer to play on a PS3 because I haven't found a PC case that looks good"? You really are a console-fanboy if that's all it takes to accept the inferior and limited hardware, the completely locked in software and the retarded business models that have been killing off good PC developers for years.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I understand some people could like Derp Souls, I suppose, but mis-leading people into thinking it's the greatest game of the last few years is beyond retarded and absolutely ban worthy.

Knights of the Chalice
Dark Souls
Bayonetta (maybe)

That's all I can really classify as truly great that has been released the last three years, and I've even got serious reservations on one. Of course, I'm disregarding titles from real niche genres and only counting those that have more of a wide appeal (if not a wide marketing campaign; Knights can certainly appeal to a lot of people in a way that).

I'm curious...what would you say are some the greatest games of the last three years? Discounting ultra-niche stuff (i.e. Matrix games titles, obscure DotA clones, pigeon dating sims), can you list some stuff, brother? Because I'm not seeing em'. In all honesty, I'd be curious to see what I may have missed. Of course this is probably an exercise in futility for both of us, probably due to a huge gulf in personal tastes...but whatever.

Witcher 2 is at least three times better than Dark Souls, so it can occupy the top 3 spots. I'm sure Crooked Bee will agree with me here.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Get a shiny plastic box then, unlike shitty consoles you can put your PC into anything you like.

So your entire argument boils down to "I prefer to play on a PS3 because I haven't found a PC case that looks good"? You really are a console-fanboy if that's all it takes to accept the inferior and limited hardware, the completely locked in software and the retarded business models that have been killing off good PC developers for years.
What the fuck are you talking about? I just argued that people have ther PCs next to their TVs. Then you said that a black box looks better than a console, I also argued about that. I never said that I chose the console because of it looking better. I don't have to choose by the way because I have a decent PC and also PS3.

Elim

Augur
Project: Eternity
Come on now, there are only 2 good things about the Witcher 2.
Graphics and story. Gameplay was total shit.

Marsal

Arcane
What the fuck are you talking about? I just argued that people have ther PCs next to their TVs. Then you said that a black box looks better than a console, I also argued about that. I never said that I chose the console because of it looking better. I don't have to choose by the way because I have a decent PC and also PS3.
Calm down, Matt. Take a sip of dark ale from your horn and take a puff. There, all better now.

sponge-stoner.gif

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Anyone want to explain to me why GFWL is bad for someone who only intends to play single player? I always use an offline profile and haven't had a problem with a GFWL title yet.

How do you know the controls aren't shit? Already played the game?
Played a preview version not while ago. (Mainstream journalism for the win!)
Decided to embrace the Matt?

waywardOne

Arcane
Anyone want to explain to me why GFWL is bad for someone who only intends to play single player? I always use an offline profile and haven't had a problem with a GFWL title yet.
I don't know or care if it's "bad". I do know and care that I will not install something completely useless (gfwl) just for the fuck of it.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
30 fps and 720p restriction on a PC game in 2012 = no buy. Even if the game is good, that level of sheer laziness and incompetence is inexcusable.

Tommers

Augur
It's a really good game. I've played over 300 hours and noticed frame rate once.

I don't particularly care if a bunch of people on the internet play it or not, but not doing so because it doesn't come up to some arbitrary technical standards is just cutting off your nose to spite your face.

This forum has plenty of stuff about games that are 20 yrs old - people still seem to play and enjoy them.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

How do you know the controls aren't shit? Already played the game?
Played a preview version not while ago. (Mainstream journalism for the win!)
Decided to embrace the Matt?
Because multiplayer is an important apect of the game. I don't mean that you have to play with others, but there are stuff that need online connection. The messages on the walls left by others, the ghostly images, that represent other players, their death etc. It just adds to the atmosphere.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't particularly care if a bunch of people on the internet play it or not, but not doing so because it doesn't come up to some arbitrary technical standards is just cutting off your nose to spite your face.

So having standards is now a bad thing, what the fuck. Lazy incompetent devs fail at porting so everyone should still give them money because OMG BEST GAEM EVAR!! Bullshit.

This forum has plenty of stuff about games that are 20 yrs old - people still seem to play and enjoy them.

Decline: noun 15. a failing or gradual loss, as in strength, character, power, or value; deterioration: the decline of the Roman Empire video games.

Black

Arcane
It's a really good game. I've played over 300 hours and noticed frame rate once.

Durr de durpp, "ive played skyrim for 500 hours and never noticed one bug".
Anecdotal evidence is dumb, guy, if you need a proof that ds is shittily optimized even for consoles you don't need 300 hours of play time, 5 seconds in google are enough.
http://gamingeverything.com/14625/f...me-rate-issues-unsure-if-therell-be-a-sequel/

Tommers

Augur
Yeah, my experience seems to differ from 'OMG framerate!' and I do find that odd. Seriously though, I noticed it once in blighttown and that's it. I do tend to stay out of there though cos it's fucking horrible and makes me feel a bit ill. I find the camera more offputting down there tbh.

I suppose the other worry is that the game has been out so long that all the secrets are on the net and any other players might be a bit over powerful if you summon or get invaded. It's better if the first playthrough is as hard as it's meant to be. Gets a bit easy once you know what you're doing.

I also have no idea about this 'GFWL' stuff.

Telengard

Arcane
GFWL: the thing that really sticks in people's craws is when it was first released, there were user fees and developer fees, just like XBox Live. Which just made it all the more apparent that it was XBox Live on the PC.

Fees which could be reinstituted at any time, if GFWL ever becomes a success.

(It's also had it's share of programming glitches for some people, such as random account resets, which erases all saves)

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Don't forget, not only will you have to put up with GFWL, locked resolution, shitty textures and 30 FPS, you will also have to post the main discussion thread for this game in the JRPG forum.

:yeah:

thesisko

Emissary
DraQ said:
No, I don't see a point in having *any* extra display device that isn't hooked to my PC.
Neither do I, which is why my PC is the only thing connected to my TV.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom