Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Darkest Dungeon II

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
WHY IS THE HIGHWAYMAN SO BUFF MCHUGE? It really bothers me. Like when a movie is made based on a book I liked, and the actors casted are nothing like what I expected.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Those screens look shit, worse than the first one. Too clean.
Doesn't matter anyway, only reason anyone ever played the first game was for Wayne June.

...and some of the pleasant mods.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
zhhn6yju9m971.png

I've seen that minimap before.
external-content-duckduckgo-com.jpg
Capture2.png
Aaaaaah, they're making one of these kinds of roguelikes.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Aaaaaah, they're making one of these kinds of roguelikes.

I think you won't be managing a roster and a warcamp, rather just get 4 random dudes, and drive the party on a mission, and when it dies get a new party. Seems like degradation, like moving away from the expanded roguelite model with all the extra stuff and persistence, and towards a more basic roguelike formula, and one-off sessions.
I don't like it.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Looks like a mobile game, or console shit. And after reading their design changes, am 100% they made it that way for mobile crowd and consoles. Game is dead.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Battle Brothers was everything I hoped DD would be. I went back to DD a few times, but I just couldn't stomach the samey grind for long enough to get anywhere in the game. I like the premise, I like the difficulty, I like the roguelike-aspects, but I did not enjoy actually playing the game. Unlike Battle Brothers, which was awesome.

Given the extreme succes of DD, they're hardly gonna make big changes to the formula.

Looks like a mobile game, or console shit. And after reading their design changes, am 100% they made it that way for mobile crowd and consoles. Game is dead.

The original game already feels like such a console game that the idea this is where they're going console is kind of funny.

Generic-Giant-Spider

“We just felt creatively she fit the world. She was kind of an extension of the game fiction as a whole, and what better character to debut as a new class than someone who’s intrinsically connected to the meta-narrative of the game itself? We could have done a wandering badass with two handguns or something, but it felt a little rote. So mechanically, we added a new DoT [damage-over-time]; we have fire and burn damage in Darkest Dungeon, too. And we needed an evangelist for that mechanic the same way the plague doctor kind of works for poison or blight.”

Good thing we have yet another DOT class that brings in a new element that doesn't really do anything different from bleeding/blight.

biffthestiff

Educated
I rarely have a large disconnect with other gamers as I did with DD1. I consider it one of the worst games I ever played. I usually love hardcore indie games.

There is nothing fun about it, it's just random "mechanics". No characters, no story, just a single decent music track, and the combat is just the worst.

You're meant to memorize what each enemy in each area does and none of it EVER feels natural, it's pure memorization. Even for your hero classes, the skills are not intuitive. It's just a "balanced" Excel spreadsheet skills grouped together randomly and given slightly names.

It reminded me a lot of Sunless Sea, another "raw mechanics" non-game that fooled me into buying it.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I want you to cut off your ears and sew them back on when you're ready to apologize.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
The music and art direction were the only great things about the first game. After an hour of gameplay it became very apparent that I was in a grindfest loop.

Harthwain

Magister
After an hour of gameplay it became very apparent that I was in a grindfest loop.

The max level is 6.
It took way too long to get there. I liked when harder dungeons introduced new enemies and stuff, because it added something fresh, but they could easily cut a few levels and there would be no difference besides how long it takes to grind the levels.

Harthwain

Magister
About Darkest Dungeon 2 - I am not sure I will be getting it. I have to see how much do they change the game first.

While it is possible to remove excess grind from Darkest Dungeon formula, there was some stuff I felt was severly underdeveloped and I am not certain the sequel will improve in these areas (rather, I expect the developers to go with "more" over "better", with only slight tweaks). What aspects I am talking about?

1) Sanity - All it really does is mess up your action economy. It lacks gameplay effects that really make you question your sanity (The Consuming Shadow is the prime example here. Another good example - although not really related to sanity as such - would be HellSign). Imagine that enemies can move across the map in real time (could be sticking to some random patrol pattern, similarly to how guards move around Invisible Inc.), meaning it is possible for your party to avoid them or bump into them. Now add extra darkness and footsteps. Your party stops moving, but you still hear the footsteps. Is the enemy closing in or moving away? Or is this merely a "trick of the mind"? One of the scariest experiences in video games for me was playing Thief: Deadly Shadows. There is a mission in an abandoned orphanage where you clearly hear footsteps behind you AFTER you stop moving. When you turn around nothing is there, of course, but the psychological effect was tremendous.

2) Scouting/Exploration - The maps are way too small. You shouldn't be able to explore everything as easily as you can in Darkest Dungeon 1 and you shouldn't "teleport away" when you finish the mission. On top of that, scouting doesn't really do anything interesting and there is no real room for error on the part of the scouting hero (it's a binary result). This is huge missed opportunity in itself, but evenmoreso considering how a scout that's low on sanity could mess up with the player's head (messing up directions without knowing it, scouting less further ahead than ordered but not informing the player about it, etc.).

Can't handle the bacon

I can't believe they released a game where you had to fight each of the ten regular bosses three times to make it to the final area, not to mention the insane amounts of grinding you have to do in the four normal areas, and that it was actually successful and people wanted a sequel lol.

How many copy-pasted encounters will the sequel have?? STAY TUNED!!

Also, how is the narrator still around after the ending to the first game? Why does anything even matter after it is revealed that all humans are the spawn of an eldritch abomination gestating in the center of the Earth until it grows large enough to destroy it and break free? I sense a retcon coming.

Poseidon00

Arcane
If DD2 has the modding scene that DD had then it will probably be pretty good. Interesting mod classes and new bosses really carried that game, never had seen mods that felt so closely like part of the base game. Then again, they make it easy with a distinctive art style and only a few frames of animation.

So I think I will probably still give it a try. Maybe wait for a year and see.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
just a single decent music track

The OST is insanely good, but by the nature of the game you'll hear the same few tracks on loop over and over.
Go give it a listen, the DLC tracks especially are top notch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom