Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dead State: Reanimated

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I actually want DB to get out of this situation and be able to make a new game with all the things they learned from this, but for that, they actually need to break the downward spiral first
AHAHAHA. That was never going to happen. Even before TrollGuy. DeadState was never going to sell enough copies for them to do much of anything afterwards.
This controversy actually got them a few more sales than they deserve I bet because no one was really talking about Dead State much until this steam review flagging happened. It might've gotten them a negative reputation but that's better than not being talked about at all.

This thing is a tempest in a teacup, no one really gave a shit, most of the people bitching about Double Bear didn't even know this game existed until the controversy hit the frontpage of gaming subreddit and the likes and got enough comments to have staying power. They will forget just as quickly as they learned of this irrelevant zombie fest existence.

Telengard

Arcane
That old saw that no publicity is bad publicity has merit. Controversy and drama stir sales, yes, because people are naturally curious.

However, there is also such a thing as being labeled a pariah. In any era in any community, there are always certain things that are taboo. To illustrate, not so long ago being labeled a communist.

For the modern issue, there is another old saw that also applies - it's not the act, it's the coverup. Once one starts locking and deleting, one follows a well-worn path that many another indie has gone down, which leads to Nowheresville. Because while there are some people who will notice you because you got labeled a pariah and got in the news cycle, the masses will now treat you as a pariah, and the masses are where most of the sales come from.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This controversy actually got them a few more sales than they deserve I bet because no one was really talking about Dead State much until this steam review flagging happened.

At the moment it's like #403 on the sales chart.

Deleted member 7219

I hope Iron Tower get their logo removed from Dead State. It reflects badly on them. Age of Decadence is nothing like Dead State.

Gozma

Arcane
Man, consider not laying boots into people just after their work for the past several years has fallen stillborn off the Steam top 400

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
It really just should have stayed vapourware :lol:

I still like the brand and the idea as I imagined it in my head. Ditch the RPGs/SJWs and rip off Last Night on Earth. In the right hands it would have sold a ton (shoulda, woulda, coulda).

Kem0sabe

Arcane
It was never going to achieve proper zombie survival game play by using the age of decadence engine. Since the the pre-release versions that it's been clear the game was never going magically improve.

Drakron

Arcane
The game is in a playable state. It lacks polish and needs bug squashing, but it's entirely playable.

Thats not the point, if you put it on Early Access you open your QA log to the public ... its not a question of being playable, its a question of releasing software with known bugs and bugs that affect gameplay with everyone knowing about it.

And they did so, they released it, if Ubisoft ended up apologizing from the exact same decision in relation to AC:Unity, we have games that been in Early Access for YEARS now, KSP for example ... no reason to release it just because the exe doesnt crash.

This type of behavior damages Kickstarter and Early Access, we already had DF-9 as a example of a "entirely playable" game that was released because they run out of money and moved to the next scheme game, we dont need more "Double" studios.

Angthoron

Arcane
The game is in a playable state. It lacks polish and needs bug squashing, but it's entirely playable.

Thats not the point, if you put it on Early Access you open your QA log to the public ... its not a question of being playable, its a question of releasing software with known bugs and bugs that affect gameplay with everyone knowing about it.

And they did so, they released it, if Ubisoft ended up apologizing from the exact same decision in relation to AC:Unity, we have games that been in Early Access for YEARS now, KSP for example ... no reason to release it just because the exe doesnt crash.

This type of behavior damages Kickstarter and Early Access, we already had DF-9 as a example of a "entirely playable" game that was released because they run out of money and moved to the next scheme game, we dont need more "Double" studios.
I think that's a little unfair, at least as far as I know, Dead State is feature-complete, unlike DF-9, which basically cut out 50% of what they promised. But yeah, I know what you mean.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
I am far past the point of asking nicely.

...I am paying customer and I demand to see some tits.

We can do this the easy way or the hard way... There could be a really GOOD review I will write about said game or a REALLY HORRIBLE review.

Tits are the deciding factor. Ive wasted enough time.

Kz3r0

Arcane
This thread proves only that catering to the tastes of the KKKodex is the real mistake.
I must admit that Gaider and Vogel were right, start doing popamole mainstream shit and rack in the money without the hassle of 'customers' that hate you, literally, because of your gender or political ideas, whatever, while keeping your fingers crossed that you breack even.
It tells all that the most 'outraged' shitheads here are renown popamolers like Minus Habens, AKA mastermind.

Yo clarify for the imbeciles, making oldschool games is already a risk, especially because of the oldsKKKool crowd.

Multi-headed Cow

Not sure how much they were catering to the tastes of the Codex considering she vanished as soon as they were working on it. If you were specifically trying to sell the game to the Codex instead of making the game you wanted to make you'd think she'd still be here and have been drumming up hype. It's a turn based party RPG with coincides with things the Codex likes, but Vogel's mole-poppers Avadon are turn based party RPGs too. Not really just a Codex thing.

And you could theoretically argue that AoD caters to the Codex more than DS (And VD's still here) and they've been chunking along on that for a goodly while now. And I have to admit I saw way, WAY fewer bugs in AoD than I did in DS. I did play AoD far less since I don't want to burn myself out on early access play, but after a few hours of banging on AoD about the only bug I remember was the paper doll for the PC being really dark in the character sheet. The buddy of mine that went hog wild on AoD early access didn't really have bugs or scripting/quest issues either.

Angthoron

Arcane
This thread proves only that catering to the tastes of the KKKodex is the real mistake.
It is? Someone should phone Swen, Brian and those guys from Harebrained Studios, they're actually broke.

I must admit that Gaider and Vogel were right, start doing popamole mainstream shit and rack in the money without the hassle of 'customers' that hate you, literally, because of your gender or political ideas, whatever, while keeping your fingers crossed that you breack even.
Yes, because BioWare wasn't getting tons of hate for ME3 and/or Hepler's twitterings. Also, which part of DoubleBear's current predicament comes from Codex, gender or politics, exactly? Or because of catering to Codexian tastes. Pls to specify, I think I missed something important.

Lhynn

Arcane
Whats sad is that half of whats wrong with the game would have been easily tweakble if they had just asked the codex.
The problems dead state has are pretty apparent.

As for the bugs, ill take games that try new things even if they are ridden with bugs over polished banal turd of the week.

Drakron

Arcane
Also, which part of DoubleBear's current predicament comes from Codex, gender or politics, exactly?

I am also curious, is this "games are art and thus we must support the artists"?

Because what I see is DoubleBear being a company that managed to fund itself with Kickstarter and their only project and lets talk about Dead State ... its a Zombie game that 2 years ago back it would had sold, its not odd that this project got off in Kickstarter in 2012 but we arent in 2012, the Zombie Fad died.

And I say this as well, if you depend on crowdfunding to stay afloat then dont go on about pissing people off because ultimate this will make people NOT giving you money, game development isnt art and you arent entitled a goverment grant to make your vision either, you depend on people sharing the same idea and wanting to make that game happen ... and understand that is the only thing you can do.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
As for the fact that his review has lots of upvotes, those aren't "I agree with you" upvotes; they are "this review was helpful" upvotes.

It uses thumbs-up and thumbs-down icons, similar to other social media networks, and the whole thing takes place on a social media network that also double a store, one that encourages purchases for no other reason than the promise of getting trading cards (previously hats for one of their own games). Do you really think that people who click the thumbs-up icon—which should be those who actually care enough about that particular social network to make that move—merely think that “this review is helpful?”

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom