Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dead State: Reanimated

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Infinitron likes megathreads because then he's the only one who knows wtf is going on. Controlling the flow of information is high on his agenda

I'm a hardcore moderator for hardcore Codexers.

Enjoy your new thread.

Raggg

Novice
Signs don't face that way on that side of the street. That's as bad as skyscrapers in Rome.

This massive list of known issues is proof that they did in fact run out of money, as anticipated. So much for "we'll only release it when it won't give us a reputation as yet another buggy RPG studio." Reality always getting in the way.

A couple of Yixers seem to be enjoying it despite the bugs, some claiming it's better'n Wasteland 2. They don't like how taking leadership and negotiation feels mandatory. I wouldn't know for certain of course.
It's definitely better than Wasteland 2, since Wasteland 2 is an insane turd I had to turn off after 10 minutes.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Signs don't face that way on that side of the street. That's as bad as skyscrapers in Rome.

This massive list of known issues is proof that they did in fact run out of money, as anticipated. So much for "we'll only release it when it won't give us a reputation as yet another buggy RPG studio." Reality always getting in the way.

A couple of Yixers seem to be enjoying it despite the bugs, some claiming it's better'n Wasteland 2. They don't like how taking leadership and negotiation feels mandatory. I wouldn't know for certain of course.
It's definitely better than Wasteland 2, since Wasteland 2 is an insane turd I had to turn off after 10 minutes.

WL2 vs. DS is a hard call. Not saying that WL2 wasn't a turd. Except WL2 was more like a chocolate cake with a turd filling whereas DS is more like delicious chocolate cake smeared in rich layers of excrement. It looks like there could be a genuinely nice game beneath the vomit-inducing visuals, crappy camera and antediluvian combat mechanics.

Rpgsaurus Rex

what antediluvian combat mechanics exactly?

Maybe things change later, but so far: no aimed shot, no lie/sit/stand, no attacks of opportunity or otherwise being influenced by staying at point blank range to your opponent, no notion of cover, primitive human AI, no interrupts (OK, forget the last one). It's basically Gorky 17 except Gorky 17 came out ... 15 years ago (and looked/felt better)?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
addition of lie+sit triples required animations, and for it to be something more than just increasing your to hit chance for aimed shots would also require stealth and more advanced detection mechanics than just los with per based range.
aimed shots just make things easier against human enemies over the current system, while at best adding some cute effects if you have the budget to go for models that can have their arms/legs shot off....
this isn't a tactics rpg like ja or x-com, it's a light indie rpg about zombies, and for that, the system is pretty functional as far as i can tell, which already is ahead of most mainstream rpgs.

Rpgsaurus Rex

addition of lie+sit triples required animations, and for it to be something more than just increasing your to hit chance for aimed shots would also require stealth and more advanced detection mechanics than just los with per based range.
aimed shots just make things easier against human enemies over the current system, while at best adding some cute effects if you have the budget to go for models that can have their arms/legs shot off....
this isn't a tactics rpg like ja or x-com, it's a light indie rpg about zombies, and for that, the system is pretty functional as far as i can tell, which already is ahead of most mainstream rpgs.

Which is why I said 'despite these flaws blah blah' because the meat of the game seems to be in managing your shelter, not combat. Which could be fun or not, I've not played it far enough.

Multi-headed Cow

http://www.twitch.tv/m_hc

Gonna squeeze in a little more zombie whacking. Probably won't be able to do as much today (Or tomorrow) as I did yesterday but I'll see how irresponsible I feel.

mvBarracuda

Augur
It looked pretty fun at first sight. And it'll help to play another Iron Tower title until the final chapter of AoD is shipped.

Bought it.

Johannes

Arcane
And it'll help to play another Iron Tower title until the final chapter of AoD is shipped.
it's about as much an iron tower title as baldur's gate is a black isle game...
You don't say ...

Considering that Dead State uses a modified AoD engine, the better analogy would be "As much as BG2 is a Bioware game". Just saying.
Considering IWD uses Infinity engine, the better analogy would be "As much as Icewind Dale is a Bioware game". Just saying.

Raggg

Novice

WL2 vs. DS is a hard call. Not saying that WL2 wasn't a turd. Except WL2 was more like a chocolate cake with a turd filling whereas DS is more like delicious chocolate cake smeared in rich layers of excrement. It looks like there could be a genuinely nice game beneath the vomit-inducing visuals, crappy camera and antediluvian combat mechanics.
Good analogy, except WL2 is a shit cake with a turd filling, drizzled with AIDS blood.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
For someone who hated the camera controls in Wasteland 2 or AoD, would this be a similar experience?

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Ok first impressions.

Playing with a ranged char and also bumping negotiation and leadership. Went with 10 agility and 6 perception, left str and vitality on 1 (avoidance and ranged weapons keep me out of harms way). 10 agi gives me 12 action points, 6 points in ranged gives me -1 AP to shoot (means guns cost 3 AP t shoot) = 4 shots per turn. Main char can mow down the opposition - even those coyote douchebags go down fast. Lots of completed combats with 0 wounds.

Usual party is the trucker woman, the ginger copper and 1 random (they are all melee and im the only ranged).

Took me a while to get used to the camera and controls. So far i think i got about 10 people to join the shelter. The game feels good, there are nice random encounters, and there is always tension while scavenging around.
THERE ARE LOTS OF BUGS, but i dont mind, kinda. None game breaking ones, but a lot of random crashes.
Afaik your allies give you hints where to go next but you can explore by yourself as well.

So far its a really enjoyable game, but with a few more patches it could get even better.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Considering that Dead State uses a modified AoD engine, the better analogy would be "As much as BG2 is a Bioware game". Just saying.
Considering IWD uses Infinity engine, the better analogy would be "As much as Icewind Dale is a Bioware game". Just saying.
black isle published baldur's gate 1+2, slapped their logo on it (rather than it just being published by interplay) so they would benefit from bi's rep after fallout, and also helped out with development and writing...

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
weird. i'm not having any random crashes so far, and i am on win8.1 64bit, on which p. much everything seems to crash.

Elhoim, in the noisy mausoleum map the laptop in the room next to the parking lot cannot be looted because the chair prevents access:
nmbug.jpg

on the second floor is an arch which has one of the tiles blocked off for no reason (though it's no biggie since the arches are two tiles wide and it still can be passed over).
the whole area behaves very wonky with how the objects are drawn/hidden, including the second floor disappearing when you're on it...
also satchels aren't sorted under the med tab in shelter storage, only what goes into them.
edit: and still getting the error with people whom i havent assigned to party coming with me. seems to happen more when somebody gets or stops being sick.

Last edited:

Multi-headed Cow

and i am on win8.1 64bit, on which p. much everything seems to crash.
*COUGHwindows8isfinestopbeingbadCOUGH*

Edit: Incidentally, no crashes for me either apart from the loading one that was already fixed. Still occasionally getting the two people in one space bug but it's far less than it was at launch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom