Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dear nazi douchebags, (or: no-ban policy has been revoked)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Crispy said:
How about "coming back" and helping to drown out the dumbfuckery with what you believe to be worthwhile discussion?
If I thought that one man can make a difference, I wouldn't have left in the first place.

spacemoose said:
Vault Dweller said:
The Codex is about allowing members the freedom to express their opinions and then get chewed out for them, no matter what that opinion is.
It works when the ratio of intelligent posters to dumbfucks is 10:1. It doesn't work when the ratio is 1:10. Not enough chew power.
and their horrible apinion will go on unchewed

o fortuna
:lol:

denizsi said:
I've hated the way VD's moderation took a turn for faggotry towards the end times...
More specifically?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Every now and then I make a few posts, but that's hardly enough to be considered a regular member. I don't start any discussions because I don't see a point.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Don't look now, but I think you just did make a point.

Dude, just finish up your game and don't be a stranger here. Together, we can rule the ga.. uh, I mean we need all the bodies we can get to stem the tide of morans like me from permanently occupying this place.

Fight the good fight!

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
It can be hard to fight the good fight when you try to engage in a serious conversation and the other side must display its insecurities by using ad hominem.

Secretninja

Cipher
First they came for the niggers and I did not protest, because I am not a nigger.
Next they came for the Jews and I did not protest, because I am not a Jew.
Then they came for the dumbfucks and I did not protest, so as not to incriminate myself.
After that they threw a hissyfit and went back to their faggoty forums and said how childish we all were.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I always noted VD and many others here as priding themselves for pointing out the obvious when ad hominems and other weaknesses in debate were utilized. Not putting up with such bullshit has always been the strength of the Codex and I believe, although it's certainly diluted now, still is.

The Codex really is unique. Nowhere else have I ever discovered such a place that has an amazingly rich diversity to its posters, to their outlooks on life and their opinions and styles, and to the heights of their intelligence and the depths of their depravity, not to mention the astounding amount of willful retardation.

But I know it's all a game. Or is it? That's the flavor that keeps drawing me back. Never take yourself too seriously, engage will full phasers anyway and who gives a fuck if you "lose". Sink or swim. Build your own rep through either sheer volume or through quality or both (or neither).

The RPG Codex is the greatest computer role-playing game of all time.

/slightly emo

denizsi

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
denizsi said:
I've hated the way VD's moderation took a turn for faggotry towards the end times...
More specifically?

No, thanks, I'm done discussing anything with you directly for the time being. Too much context-ripping quote cherry picking and lynching over your narrow viewed "argume..ooops, that was at least a little specific, I guess. Sorry about that.
don't bother; it doesn't take a genius to call me butthurt. But it takes Oscar to actually answer some things. LOL
Also, I'm sure there are well respected members of the Codex who are a lot more intelligent than I am to go into specifics.

Vault Dweller

Developer
denizsi said:
Vault Dweller said:
denizsi said:
More specifically?

No, thanks, I'm done discussing anything with you directly for the time being. Too much context-ripping quote cherry picking and lynching over your narrow viewed "argume..ooops, that was at least a little specific...
No, that was attacking your "opponent" from a safe distance while pretending giving specifics. "I'm done discussing things with you, but I want you to know that your arguments suck and your vision is narrow". Ok. Sucks to be me, I guess.

[ninja color]don't bother; it doesn't take a genius to call me butthurt. But it takes Oscar to actually answer some things. LOL[/color]
Jesus. I'm sorry that I didn't answer your question fast enough and you had to get your info from Oscar.

DraQ

Arcane
DarkUnderlord said:
Naked Ninja said:
Over here, if you leave, it's because you decided to
Exactly. And you're creating an atmosphere where the people who decide to leave are the ones looking for intelligent conversation.
That's the point though. The Codex isn't about intelligent conversation at the cost of all else. The Codex is about allowing members the freedom to express their opinions and then get chewed out for them, no matter what that opinion is.
Except that opinion, let alone informed opinion, becomes an increasingly rare sight here on the codex, unless a loose collection of particularly shitty memes, still in their raw, virgin state, undigested by individual's in question brain counts as one.

Now, enforcing politeness, banning people for behaving in an "inappropriate" manner usually only reinforces mediocrity and blandness, as negative criteria tend to, however why not use positive criteria and only try to keep those who have something to say (whether you can agree with it or not) as long as they can cobble together an argument or two to support it, while not caring all that much about the rest?

You wouldn't even need to ban or anything, just revoke GD posting privileges or limit particularly troublesome users to one post a day and keep it so until this one post a day becomes productive.

I don't want Codex to become nice or friendly or centralized.
I want it to stop sucking, cease being shit and turn into a place where you can discuss stuff rather than flipping through several pages of shit by unmastered and Ch1ef, or nigerjewsholocaustlulz by variety of posters. Digging through shit alone is disincentive for discussion.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I think that the main problem is that almost every interesting thing was talked to death, which doesn't leave much space for opinions, let alone informed ones.

denizsi

Arcane
Well, the reply from Oscar came after several pages of you attacking me on the claim that I was bullshitting, which turned out otherwise. So, yes, you certainly weren't fast enough to be civil while preaching about it with extreme prejudice. LOL.

It's sad that you don't even seem to notice when you're doing this.

No, that was attacking your "opponent" from a safe distance while pretending giving specifics. "I'm done discussing things with you, but I want you to know that your arguments suck and your vision is narrow". Ok. Sucks to be me, I guess.

Your arguments don't suck, when you make one, which you usually do. It's just that, sometimes you don't even have one to begin with or keep it down and instead go on a bigoted rampage of preaching.

DraQ said:
DarkUnderlord said:
Naked Ninja said:
Over here, if you leave, it's because you decided to
Exactly. And you're creating an atmosphere where the people who decide to leave are the ones looking for intelligent conversation.
That's the point though. The Codex isn't about intelligent conversation at the cost of all else. The Codex is about allowing members the freedom to express their opinions and then get chewed out for them, no matter what that opinion is.
Except that opinion, let alone informed opinion, becomes an increasingly rare sight here on the codex, unless a loose collection of particularly shitty memes, still in their raw, virgin state, undigested by individual's in question brain counts as one.

Now, enforcing politeness, banning people for behaving in an "inappropriate" manner usually only reinforces mediocrity and blandness, as negative criteria tend to, however why not use positive criteria and only try to keep those who have something to say (whether you can agree with it or not) as long as they can cobble together an argument or two to support it, while not caring all that much about the rest?

You wouldn't even need to ban or anything, just revoke GD posting privileges or limit particularly troublesome users to one post a day and keep it so until this one post a day becomes productive.

I don't want Codex to become nice or friendly or centralized.
I want it to stop sucking, cease being shit and turn into a place where you can discuss stuff rather than flipping through several pages of shit by unmastered and Ch1ef, or nigerjewsholocaustlulz by variety of posters. Digging through shit alone is disincentive for discussion.

You the think the shit will stay confined to GD and away from other, more relevant subforums? The other way around might be more fruitful, I think. I'm not as annoyed by memetards in GD as I'm annoyed by them in a discussion in one of the other subforums.

Also, come on, peer reviewed registrations aren't that bad. At least until a balance between the two poster groups can be attained.

spacemoose

Erudite
there's no pages of shit, by anyone that doesn't get retardoed quick

other than that it sounds like you want your forums televitz approved. there's no shortage of those

DraQ

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
I think that the main problem is that almost every interesting thing was talked to death, which doesn't leave much space for opinions, let alone informed ones.
Bull. Everyone just stagnated in their opinions due to lack of communication and facilitates this lack of communication by flipping shit around.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
DraQ said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Bull. Everyone just stagnated in their opinions due to lack of communication and facilitates this lack of communication by flipping shit around.
And on which forum people don't stagnate their opinion? I rarely see people changing their opinions on internet fora.
No amount of clear and polite communication is going change it.
Especially when people often discuss things that aren't absolute, but depend on ones taste.

It's the same bullshit that always gets shouted here: Decline Decline Decline.

It's funny, you annoying fucktards (omg AD HOMINEM) bitch about how there's never any good discussions and how all threads end up the same, but you're the fucks that scream about DECLINE whenever someone posts a meatspin link. You are exactly the same as the unwashed masses that spam threads. You know, you don't need an ignore button to ignore idiots.

Moreover, there are plenty of decent discussions that go on in all forums, including GD. We all know it. Yes, there's nomask being an idiot denying the holocaust and Cleve... being Cleve, but that's part of the game. There are also philosophy discussions, politics discussions, religious discussions, etc. in which there are actually ideas being interchanged. Are there people in those threads shouting niggerniggerniggerjewjewjew? Yes, there is. Do they derail a discussion in a serious way and artificially shorten its lifespan? No, they don't. Those that aren't giant faggots can just ignore the idiots when they're not providing lulz and continue with their discussion.

denizsi

Arcane
Spoken like a true hero. It's all defeatist faggots complaining and/or running away on the slightest sight of a memetard and then preaching decline from the safety of their armchairs. A bunch of armchair anthropologists.

Secretninja said:
Peer reviewed applications? You, ma'am, are a gigantic gaping cunt.

They said the same for others before me when the suggestion to limit muslim intake was brought up. Look where rejecting that took Europeans.

Mantiis

Cipher
The biggest tragedy of this whole decline bullshit is losing actual RPG developers from the forums. We were lucky enough to have an environment where we could have an unmoderated discussion with people that actually made the games we were talking about and in some cases have input into them or find out what was cut and why.

I remember creating a thread where I trashed the MotB ending and Obsidian developers actually responded. Where else does this shit happen? Why would we want to lose that? And why the fuck do we have avatars here that are real life photos developers? And why the hell do I keep saying we?

tl;dr: I'm in the no moderation camp (especially for GD) but churlishness should be prevented when interacting with VIPs in the other forums.

spacemoose

Erudite
deniszi I am disappoint that you would advocate any kind of review for registration

even more disappoint than when I found out you were a girl

this is a tough biker bar, remember. where tough guys wrestle and peer-policing is a 24/7 thing

not a gated community like kaiserin's drug forum

DraQ

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
No amount of clear and polite communication is going change it.
I'm not particularly interested in polite communication, I'm just interested in communication in general though it being clear would certainly help.

Now stop being a reactionary vagina like those Liberum Veto fucks before.

Freedom?
More like freedumb in the case of codex.

denizsi

Arcane
spacemoose said:
deniszi I am disappoint that you would advocate any kind of review for registration

Only for registration. After that, it would be no policing FFA again.

But you're right, it has its disadvantages. How about time-limited FFA registration with peer reviewed final approval?

even more disappoint than when I found out you were a girl

Care to share how you found that out? I'd like to know for myself for once.

spacemoose

Erudite
DraQ said:
Freedom?
More like freedumb in the case of codex.
if its so bad why do you stay here

why not go have riveting debate at the iron tower forums I hear they take their rpgs very seriously over there. 140 rigorous threads over the course of 1 and a half (?) years

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom