Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Deathfire Cancelled

mondblut

Arcane
Leave Deathfire in peace, it's dead already.

Besides, there is a market for blobbers... if someone would just announce the next Wizardry 9 and show CryEngine visuals in a Kickstarter demo, I'm sure 500K funding could be achieved. That however is not much, and I'm slowly starting to agree that this type of game is so niche, that it wouldn't reach 1 Million :(

Well, Wizardry just might make it. Crackstarter sells pipedreams by the proxy of impressive names, and this one name is loud enough to impress a plenty of people. But the japs own it and seem to be perfectly content keeping it as dumbed down consoletard crap about 7 years old trannies, so not gonna happen.

DraQ

Arcane
Leave Deathfire in peace, it's dead already.

Besides, there is a market for blobbers... if someone would just announce the next Wizardry 9 and show CryEngine visuals in a Kickstarter demo, I'm sure 500K funding could be achieved. That however is not much, and I'm slowly starting to agree that this type of game is so niche, that it wouldn't reach 1 Million :(
TB, free movement Wizardry 9 in the vein of the final trilogy, with complex party building, banter, good combat, formation management plus fairly impressive production values and maybe extra stuff like some systemic environment interaction affecting combat and non-combat alike?

Would :bounce:

:cry:

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
1. Fucking TB combat (D.W. Bradley said he is happy that the "limitations of TB combat" have been overcome by technology.)
party control ordinary RT or even RTWP is simply unwieldy and leads to clusterfuckery.
Anyone claiming that the need for TB has been overcome by technology is simply full of shit

Being a programmer I investigated many control themes in blobbers. Eventually Phase-based rules them all out. Even the control scheme in MMX is not optimal, because the attack clicking makes you either click too much, or too less. Not a good feeling when clicks get lost. Reminds of minigames/QTE with "nervously pressing keys"-behaviour.

And I agree that RTWP isn't too comfortable either. It somehow worked in Dragon Age, but the new actions happened after a delay of finishing the previous moves and therefore didnt give you the feeling of 100% control, although you technically had. A player wants to see his actions immanently. Not too happy about it.

These observations however only confirm, that "TB can be overcome by technology" is bullshit.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I was quoting you blanket dismissing others' opinions and observations as BS.

No, you were quoting this:

...unlike people like D.W. Bradley he does recognize what today's RPG's are missing.

Sounds like BS to me.

So etiher you are too dense to remember what you wrote just two posts ago or you keep shitposting for no reason.

Shitposter. Put him on ignore and be done with it.

Yeah, maybe I should do that.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Being a programmer I investigated many control themes in blobbers. Eventually Phase-based rules them all out. Even the control scheme in MMX is not optimal, because the attack clicking makes you either click too much, or too less.
Wait, what is MMX's control scheme?

I haven't followed development.

There's nothing unusual about MMX's control scheme. Turn-based, icon bar at the bottom with "attack", "defend", spells, potions, etc. The party attacks are very quick so if you're doing a flurry of standard attacks with your fighters and not paying attention you might click too many times and accidentally attack instead of cast a spell on your mage's turn.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Redshift is barely known and haven't released anything for a long while,

Bro, can you run their games in emulators? I got PalmSim and managed to load some other stuff, but Legacy just hangs with a white screen.

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Not sure if the problem here was that there isn't a large enough market or whether Guido failed to capture the market that exists. Probably a combination of both, but I'm looking forward to the next InXile Kickstarter, this one a remake of WIzardry:troll:

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Why is there a trollface when I don't want to see one?

I thought you said that because InXile announced something like that :(

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
No, you were quoting this:

5XoU7.png

I'm sorry, I hadn't realized we were engaging in ludicrous semantics and hair-splitting. I quoted part of the post in which you were blanket dismissing other people's opinions as BS. :lol:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
5XoU7.png

I'm sorry, I hadn't realized we were engaging in ludicrous semantics and hair-splitting. I quoted part of the post in which you were blanket dismissing other people's opinions as BS. :lol:

Yeah, semantics is not your thing I see. That post says that there is justified criticism on the one hand and complete BS on the other. I guess it must be a complete shock for you that there are people posting BS on the Codex. Or maybe you cannot see shitposting for what it is because you are a shitposter yourself?

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Because I feel that InXile is trolling us until proven otherwise. I'm pretty sure neither TToN nor WL2 will be as good as the originals (partly because of nostalgia and partly because the gaming market and audience have changed so much). Of course, I backed them both and would back a true Wizardry successor in an instance (even Grimoire). I just feel that the Codex judged Guido too much on his marketing skills and not on his (known) game developer creds. It appears that the Codex would rather support D:OS (where none of the earlier Divinity games were that good) or even The Mandate based purely on "feel". To me, that's too bad because that is the exact same behavior that resulted in the decline.

mondblut

Arcane
Redshift is barely known and haven't released anything for a long while,

Bro, can you run their games in emulators? I got PalmSim and managed to load some other stuff, but Legacy just hangs with a white screen.

No clue, I used to have a pocketpc-based phone so no need for an emulator. They have windows versions anyway, as pointed above.

St. Toxic

Arcane
No big loss. After all, it's the rebirth of the Golden Age of CRPG's; nobody will miss yet another popamole dungeon crawler.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014

I just feel that the Codex judged Guido too much on his marketing skills and not on his (known) game developer creds.

Ehhh, I think this is the problem, right here. The two things he is known for, at least in my view, are his work on Torment and Arkania. In the latter category, everyone is overshadowed by Avellone's contributions to that project. I mean, if you ask anybody they will (right or wrong) say it was Avellone's Game. When it comes to Arkania, his work there was enough to earn him a lot of credibility in the hardcore-ish RPG market, but honestly Blade of Destiny is 20 years old, and he was also out of the business for a good long time. We didn't hear a peep out of the guy, RPG wise, for over 10 years. As a comparison, even Brian Fargo was still out there, doing things on the production side, even if he wasn't necessarily publishing anything. I think his thin presence on the production side, coupled with the fact that he hasn't made an RPG in over 10 years, just didn't fill people with confidence that he could get the job done. Add in the sloppy missteps and the absolutely god-awful name of the game (lmao) and it is not a surprise to me -- at all -- that this didn't go anywhere.

retardation

Learned
Didn't Avellone regretted focusing Torment on dialogue? If we look at Avellone's credits, we'll see that his games since Torment were combat oriented. Henkel, on the other hand, still wants to make an RPG about character interactions.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
When Guido was pitching the project, I always felt like there was something missing, that brought all the parts together,
presenting it as the thing he was intending it to be, the whole picture, so that it could develop some 'Strahlkraft'.

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The newer the fag, the edgier the comment.
Better a "new fag" with prospect of self-redemption, than an old fag who has relegated themselves to being a bottom ad infinitum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom