Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Deathfire Cancelled

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The fact that it would have been Grimrock with NPC's, story and different locations is outstanding in itself. Tell me just one other game that does that.

The in-party banter is pretty outstanding too.
These features were very poorly communicated on the project page = it did not inspire confidence in any area.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The fact that it would have been Grimrock with NPC's, story and different locations is outstanding in itself. Tell me just one other game that does that.

The in-party banter is pretty outstanding too.
These features were very poorly communicated on the project page = it did not inspire confidence in any area.

Bullshit. You had screenshots and proper descriptions, both in the headline and in the text itself. In the screenshots you can see that it is Grimrock-style. The headline talks about "deep characters and rich storytelling".

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I disagree. Anime-style is not a proper RPG in my book.

Weren't you the one getting after me about subjective vs. objective?

No, that was someone else. Never mind—I'm sure you're right, no game that fits your very specific personal set of requirements matches the criteria you outlined.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Basically, almost no Western blobbers are being developed. Is that a very specific set of requirements?

mondblut

Arcane
Basically, almost no blobbers where characters and enemies do not look and behave like 7 years old trannies, the plot-advancing dialogues do not consist of "..." and "???", and there are other character classes than mages in funny suits casting spells like "angry stomp" or "sneak up and tickle" for mana, are being developed. Is that a very specific set of requirements?

Fixed.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
mondblut
Clearly you're unfamiliar with Shin Megami Tensei (not Persona). SMT was and still is a dark, serious, gritty series, some of the demons' sprites notwithstanding. For example, in Strange Journey you play part of an adult military crew aboard a starship.

Anyway, "only" MMX and Grimoire, and possibly Grimrock 2, also Japanese dungeon crawlers don't count. :lol:

A whole lot better than nothing, really. I agree it would have been nice to see what Guido would do with Deathfire, but it's not to be.

DraQ

Arcane
In this case, the newfag is spot-on. Generic fantasy compound words (ex: frostfire, bladestorm, stonereaver, thundercrag, greyhart, etc.) should mostly have been retired in the 1980s, when they were actually still cool. "Deathfire" sounds like something a fourteen-year-old discovering D&D for the first time would come up with.
Actually that was only a minor part of newfag's comment, and there have been quite awesome games with absolutely derpy titles (basically anything by Larian).

There rest of newfag comments were edgy shit of marginal relevance to anything.
I mean complaining about relatively standard character attributes?

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I'm curious as to how this works . . . do people get their money back?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Japanese games don't count! Couldn't possibly be incline, wait....

Holy dog nuts, Batman! That's ONE FLOOR of a dungeon. Yes, this is just one floor of a dungeon in Strange Journey, and it has a lot more of them than most classic/current crawlers.

shin_megami_tensei_sj_sector_grus_b2f.png
Makes Grimrock's dungeons look like Skyrim's. A much more difficult and complex game, too.

Last edited:

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Interesting.

Anyways, I hope nobody is really surprised by this. This campaign has been one silly mistake after another. I wouldn't trust this guy to make a salad.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

Lhynn

Arcane
For the longest time i wasnt interested in this... im still not.

Lady Error Stop trying to judge a whole genre, there are some pretty hardcore and good blobbers made in fapan, as the whole "stupid easy" culture that plagued the western doesnt seem to have gotten there. Anyway, you should at least check out fellow codexers recommendations, if they've sailed in a sea of shit and found a shinning gem amongst all the turd, then itd be stupid not to take advantage of that.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Hint: all RPG's essentially "steal" from D&D
Hint: No, they don't. If anything I see much more Runequest influence on most RPGs than D&D

Let me guess: Runequest did not steal anything from D&D, even though it came out after D&D?

Lady Error Stop trying to judge a whole genre, there are some pretty hardcore and good blobbers made in fapan, as the whole "stupid easy" culture that plagued the western doesnt seem to have gotten there. Anyway, you should at least check out fellow codexers recommendations, if they've sailed in a sea of shit and found a shinning gem amongst all the turd, then itd be stupid not to take advantage of that.

I may take a look at SMT:Strange Journey, as its anime style seems to be more bearable than the usual JRPG-crap.

DraQ

Arcane

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Hint: No, they don't. If anything I see much more Runequest influence on most RPGs than D&D

Let me guess: Runequest did not steal anything from D&D, even though it came out after D&D?
It didn't. It came out roughly the same time as AD&D/Holmes in 1977~78. White box D&D might have come before and started the genre, but it's so unlike even what people generally know as D&D it's retarded to say anything "stole" from it

DraQ

Arcane

It didn't. It came out roughly the same time as AD&D/Holmes in 1977~78. White box D&D might have come before and started the genre, but it's so unlike even what people generally know as D&D it's retarded to say anything "stole" from it
It's also retarded to get arms-flailing butthurt because someone "stole" something as basic as stat system from D&D.

V_K

Arcane
mondblut
Clearly you're unfamiliar with Shin Megami Tensei (not Persona). SMT was and still is a dark, serious, gritty series, some of the demons' sprites notwithstanding.
Well, I'm familiar with SMT2 (played through about a half of it, I think) - and it's nothing remotely close to a decent blobber. The story is typical convoluted anime shit, and random battles each two steps (kinda jrpg trademark too) make it just an enormous exercise in tedium.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
What about the later editions? It's highly unlikely that they would not borrow some ideas from their competition, especially since it's legal to do so.

In any case, whether RPG's borrow more from RuneQuest or D&D, the point is that everyone does this sort of "stealing".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom