Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Deathfire Cancelled

mondblut

Arcane
In a world of hopelessly vitriolic message boards and web site comment sections filled with unqualified hatred

I wonder...

RPG CODEX
>we kill dreams

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh well - it was probably going to suck, so it's not a huge loss in that regard. It's faily likely that Guido will stop attempting to make RPGs now, though, which is sad.

DemonKing

Arcane
Gudio said:

Thank you for the great ride. It was fun and exciting, and we could not have done it without you!

Done what? Gone through a failed Kickstarter effort, tried pledges and a reduced scope and still come up with nothing? Is Guido seriously thanking the fans for wasting months of his life and not funding him a cent?

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm just one guy obviously:
First glance at DF pretty much killed the interest for me.
It had same ol same ol DnD stats that were being used from days when Gary Gygax was around. Whats up with that? Instant buzz-kill.
The character portraits were odd little attempts at photorealistic silliness. Just stop, okay? Everyone's Gaydar went off after seeing those.
That Guido guy said he had some kind of poll for the name? Excuse me? Deathfire? Seriously? Maybe for a Retro B or C movie involving some cheeseball announcer proclaiming "Scantily Clad Vixen saved at the last moment by Herculean Muscle Bound Neanderthal" "See it in Full Color!"
Thankfully the World is undergoing spring cleaning via an angry broom named "Internet". Burn Middle Management, Burn.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
*insert vitriolic comments of glittering hatred here*

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The newer the fag, the edgier the comment.

In this case, the newfag is spot-on. Generic fantasy compound words (ex: frostfire, bladestorm, stonereaver, thundercrag, greyhart, etc.) should mostly have been retired in the 1980s, when they were actually still cool. "Deathfire" sounds like something a fourteen-year-old discovering D&D for the first time would come up with. Also, and perhaps most importantly, rehashing the same generic fantasy shit with a slight twist or two for the umpteenth time gets pretty tiresome—at least it does for me. Finally, while indeed graphics don't matter (unless the UI is fucked up or some such), if your game is to include art then the art direction should be attractive, or competent and consistent at the very least, rather than off-putting.

This isn't a word-for-word quote from from Guido Henkel (I've forgotten the exact wording), but the essence is absolutely identical. During one of his pitch videos, he said the following (paraphrasing): "I like dragons. Every RPG has to have a dragon in it, right?" Real confidence-inspirer, that one.

Of course, a cRPG can still be very good or excellent despite a cringeworthy title, a generic fantasy setting, mediocre art, and a dubious pitch. You're not going to get truckloads of free crowdfunding if that's what you're trying to sell, though.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The Codex drowns in a cesspool of hatred, edginess & doomsaying. Just a few years ago the Codex veterans would have supported Guido blindly. -> Decline.

Overboard

Arcane
a cringeworthy title, a generic fantasy setting, mediocre art.

Nice attempt to pass off your own subjective opinions as objective observations. Guido is a bad salesman, so the project failed. It has nothing to do with the setting or art, and the effect of the title is at best negligible.

majestik12

Arcane
The Codex drowns in a cesspool of hatred, edginess & doomsaying. Just a few years ago the Codex veterans would have supported Guido blindly. -> Decline.

Correct. Everything that had a chance to become a decent RPG was supported during development. The shift of mentality seems to come from the new generation of posters who got into RPGs after The Decline has come, and so didn't have a chance to experience the Golden Age. Basically, now we've got a typical post-apocalyptic situation: remnants of the Old World struggling to retain last bits of humanity vs nihilistic wasteland raiders.

And to make things worse, there's Kickstarter. The very moment an RPG nerd gets an impression that he has a say, he starts playing armchair producer with all ensuing bullshit in the vein of "what are the USPs and do they appeal to the core audience, herp derp". Also, Kickstarter is a cornucopia of promises which people are happy to buy into. The problem is, they treat promised Incline as it has already happend and good RPGs are already in abundance. So everyone starts to behave like a spoiled brat writing the projects off for every miniscule reason imaginable. Pauldrons too big? Game is shit, no support. Pauldrons too small? Game is shit, no support. Not "isometric" with "tactical turn-based combat" and "c&c"? Game is shit, no support. No devs of FO, PST or Arcanum on the team? Game is... yeah, right.

It all started at the end of Vault Dweller Era and now has come to the logical conclusion with the arrival of the Infinitron Era. I, for one, welcome our new wasteland raider overlords. :)

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Nice attempt to pass off your own subjective opinions as objective observations.

They're absolutely objective. Generic fantasy is highly derivative of earlier works from decades prior, and this is a quantifiable phenomenon, since we have those works available to us as a basis for comparison. Whether or not an individual dislikes derivative generic fantasy is certainly a matter of personal taste, as I indicated at the end of the relevant sentence. On the subject of artwork, unless you happen be the sort of aesthetic relativist who believes that all art is equally good because it's appreciated by someone, somewhere, there is a marked difference to be seen between bad art, amateurish but passable art, merely good art, excellent art, and great art. Regardless of the art's school, style, or medium, the artist's skill and use of colors, perspective, shadows, and other fundamentals will be apparent to art critics or to anyone with a discerning eye. In realistic portrayals, the aesthetics of an artwork are generally directly proportional to the artist's skill. While I'm not a professional critic, in my opinion Deathfire's art falls between "amateurish but passable" and "merely good." That judgment may be my opinion, but the concept that slightly amateurish art didn't do the project any favors is simply logical. Deathfire's artwork certainly isn't excellent or great, because a simple Google search will return fantasy art that makes Deathfire's look like a child's coloring book.

That said, you're probably correct that the title's effect was negligible, but it's still an objective truth that slapping two nouns together to make a fantasy-sounding name is a trope that's been used for years. In my opinion, it's also intellectually lazy and eyeroll-inducing. They're all right when used sparingly and judiciously, but Deathfire... whatever.

Guido is a bad salesman, so the project failed. It has nothing to do with the setting or art, and the effect of the title is at best negligible.

Yeah, nah. If the artwork were fantastic, the setting unique and interesting, and the title compelling or evocative, Deathfire would surely have fared better than it did, which of course is what we're arguing about. Your agenda, by the way, is completely transparent: "Guido's a bad salesman, so all those retards out there who require pretty pictures and fancy speeches failed to recognize his genius, and passed it over. It's not his fault—it's theirs." While there's some truth in that, it's far from the whole story as you'd like to believe. There's also the fact that he was bandwagoning on Kickstarter at what I'd argue was an inopportune time, using the same "I am legend and worked for Black Isle" pitch that everyone had just seen in Project Eternity (and where they'd already spent their allowances).

cringeworthy title, a generic fantasy setting, mediocre art
This was literally the Project Eternity pitch.

For the most part, yes. However, the art was at least a cut or two above Deathfire's, the setting promised somewhat more than the usual number of tweaks seen in generic fantasy RPGs, the whole pitch was MUCH better presented, Obsidian is an actual successful working developer with some admired RPGs under its belt, there's more than one celebrity developer in residence there, and they came first. Also, the title really isn't that bad and is a working title.

Despite the fact that I tend to loathe generic fantasy in principle, it's pleasant enough if experienced in the context of a good cRPG. I pledged to Project Eternity, and I pledged to Deathfire, too—$250 and $100, respectively. T:ToN got $2,000 from me, mainly for striving for a semi-unique setting, story line, and elaborate C&C (and the art's damned nice too, as was the pitch), a choice I'm especially happy about now that they've gone turn-based.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pity. It was a promising game, much moreso than Thorvalla. The pitch was pretty bad, though (even if also much better than Thorvalla's). I'd gladly play it, if t came out. Although I will not miss it either, not the way I will mourn Chaos Chronicles, anyway.

The main problem is that this whole project did not really inspire confidence in any area. It had an ok art, ok (looking) system, ok premise, etc. Nothing really outstanding. I've only beome interested in this after watching Guido's interview with Matt Barton, which was much more informative and interesting than the KS page.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The fact that it would have been Grimrock with NPC's, story and different locations is outstanding in itself. Tell me just one other game that does that.

The in-party banter is pretty outstanding too.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Tell me just one other game that does that.

In the context of party-based, first-person dungeon crawlers? Numerous Wizardries, various Might & Magic titles (still in production), the Etrian Odyssey series (still in production), the Shin Megami Tensei series (still in production)....

Arguably, most don't feature a plethora of NPCs or truly in-depth stories, except for the Shin Megami Tensei series, which certainly does.

I'd like to have had the opportunity to play Deathfire, and I'm not jeering its failure, but it was a mediocre effort at the start.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The fact that it would have been Grimrock with NPC's, story and different locations is outstanding in itself. Tell me just one other game that does that.

The in-party banter is pretty outstanding too.

I am not sure that Guido would appreciate the comparison with Grimrock, since Deathfire IS NOT A DUNGEON CRAWLER. :M

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Tell me just one other game that does that.

In the context of party-based, first-person dungeon crawlers? Numerous Wizardries, various Might & Magic titles (still in production), the Etrian Odyssey series (still in production), the Shin Megami Tensei series (still in production)....

Wizardry is dead, Etryan Odyssey is an anime-style console title, only Might & Magic X has some similarities.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Doesn't matter if they're anime-style and for consoles—I'm not a big anime fan either, but Japanese console developers are still producing genuinely old-school incline. Don't lump them in with DICE and EA just because it's fashionable to hate consoles on the Codex.

SMT is a proper hard dungeon crawler that includes multiple locations, numerous fleshed-out NPCs, and an in-depth storyline. You have your one game—don't try to tack on more requirements now. :lol:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I disagree. Anime-style is not a proper RPG in my book.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom