Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Commandos-Like Desperados III from Mimimi Productions (Shadow Tactics devs) - now with Money for the Vultures DLC

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I am not surprised.

Yeah, it happens when you live in a country where you get paid 1/3 or 1/4 for the same exact jobs they do in other countries, but for some reason the price for games is the same... You tend to value your money more and spend it only after you have made sure you want to play the game. Us in poorer countries don't have the priviledge to throw away hundrends of euros on a game we will end up not enjoying and will just populate our backlog, like muricans do. you might cry "it is illegal" all you like, i don't care. It should have been illegal to have the same price here too, but it is not.

To make you understand, if the company that makes a vidya game in murica contacts me for some freelancing work on their game, they aren't going to pay me murican wages, they are going to pay me greek wages. Yet when they want to sell to me that game, they aren't going to sell it to me in greek prices, they are going to be asking murican prices. They can suck my dick.

Tigranes

Arcane
I've lived and worked in multiple countries, and I sympathise with, say, the stupidity of regional pricing.

But when you "pirate so many shit i have no time to play them anyway", that's got nothing to do with anything you said. It's just a way of life that you have chosen for yourself.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I've lived and worked in multiple countries, and I sympathise with, say, the stupidity of regional pricing.

But when you "pirate so many shit i have no time to play them anyway", that's got nothing to do with anything you said. It's just a way of life that you have chosen for yourself.

No. It has everything to do with the obsolete gaming pricing model. Stop trying to play the corporate lawyer, these tactics were tried 20 years ago when MP3 was all the rage, and they failed. You are asking people to pay outrageous prices, you are not providing any DEMOs and those few who do provide DEMOs often offer misleading DEMOs not representative of the final product, and there is no guarantee that the player will have fun yet he is still expected to pay the full sum for a video game.

Any look at Steam stats will convince even the worst retard on the Codex, that most people don't even reach 10% completion in video games, yet they pay 100% price for the games regardless. This is a garbage game payment model.

It is like saying to someone in a restaurant "hey, you should pay for the whole buffet even if you only want to eat a small burger, we only sell whole buffets here, no individual dishes".

I have pirated almost every single major vidya game in existence. If you can name it, i can probably say i have pirated it. Do you know how many of those i have actually played for more than 5 minutes? Not even 1%. I just fire them up, see how they perform, get a feel for the UI and gameplay, and if i feel like playing, i play some more, if not, insta-delete. If i play for more than a couple of hours and enjoy it and feel like it is a game i should buy, i buy it. There is this retarded myth that pirates don't buy games, this is stupid. Pirates always buy the games they truly enjoy, they even bought games when there was no DRM at all in the 80s and early 90s. The whole industry was founded in piracy, yet they exploded in profits. Because newsflash: People buy the stuff they actually enjoy. Piracy is essentially advertisement.

Actually, if the companies added a proper pricing model based on usage stats, there would be no piracy at all on the market. Imagine if steam, allowed you to install any game, play it for 30 minutes for free, then begin cutting away money from your account per 30 minutes played relative to total amount of playtime content, for example 0.25$ per 30 minutes of DOS2 (for the sake of argument let's pretend it has 120 hours of content and it costs 60$). This is extremely easy to implement because modern clients can easily calculate how much you play. No one would pirate games anymore. I wouldn't need to pirate, because as i said, the extreme majority of the games i torrent i don't play for more than 5 or 10 minutes tops. So i wouldn't need to pay for anything anyway, i would just demo the game see if it is for me and delete it. If i wanted to play a little more to decide if it is for me but i grew bored later on, i would have paid let's say 3.5$ for 4 hours of playtime of DOS2. Which i think is fair. If i actually enjoyed it to the end and even replayed it and reached 120 or 150 hours, i would have paid the full amount of an AAA game. Doesn't this seem fair to you? In fact, this would lead to better designed video games because today almost all games are front-loaded, the best content is during the first hours to make an impression and then they drop like a motherfucker in quality and the game becomes a chore. DOS2 is a good example. Time-based payment would give incentives to those idiots to make sure you actually want to keep playing to the end, or else they wouldn't see their 60$.

Why companies aren't doing this? Because they KNOW that only a tiny minority of players actually play games for more than a few hours, and many don't even START the games they buy. Yet those companies keep getting the full amount of dollars per game. Is this fair to the customers? No. But for companies, it is better because they make much more profits on much lower sales.

The music industry once thought the same, that customers were evil for downloading mp3s online, and insisted on people buying whole albums even if they liked only 1 song. See how that panned out in the end for them....

So don't give me the crap about "my way of life", peasant. I won't willingly sit and take the corporate dick up my ass when i have an alternative. When companies begin respecting their customers more, like the music industry did eventually and embraced mp3 and selling individual songs, then everything will be better for everyone. Till then, i will keep pirating like there is no tomorrow and will keep buying stuff i actually enjoyed because i am a developer myself and like to reward quality work.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Actually, if the companies added a proper pricing model based on usage stats, there would be no piracy at all on the market. Imagine if steam, allowed you to install any game, play it for 30 minutes for free, [...]
You know that Steam allows you to install any game and play it for free for 2 hours, right?

Tigranes

Arcane
"Regional pricing is FUCKING BULLSHIT! And so I pirate SO MANY GAMES I don't even have time to play them all that is how I spend my days!!!"
"Bro regional pricing is fucking bullshit indeed. But uh sitting there pirating shit you won't even play that's a whole different sad sack thing to do"
"YOU FUCKING LAWYER MOTHERFUCKER REGIONAL PRICING IS BULLSHIT ITS FORCING ME TO PIRATE ALL THESE GAMES I WONT PLAY ZERO POINT TWENTY FIVE CENTS PER THIRTY MINUTES GRAAAAAGH"

Gentlemen, we are starting to understand what kind of neural short-circuits are involved in believing that Skyrim and Fallout 4 are the greatest games.

But perhaps the real crux of it is that our poor subject is just lonely. Do you see how a simple question sets the subject off on a long and irrelevant rant about himself and his feelings? Poor fellow has simply never learnt how to deal with his emotions.

Thankfully, the Codex is full of well balanced personalities that shall help him on his journey to a functioning member of society.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
You know that Steam allows you to install any game and play it for free for 2 hours, right?

No they don't. This is a lie. Why you shills have to lie? You have to BUY a game, and if you play under 2 hours in the first 2 weeks, you can request a refund. You can't do this for every game, there is a limit, after a while they will stop accepting that. They don't allow you infinite refund requests. This is not the same as "install any game for 2 hours and play for free". So cut the crap.

"Regional pricing is FUCKING BULLSHIT! And so I pirate SO MANY GAMES I don't even have time to play them all that is how I spend my days!!!"
"Bro regional pricing is fucking bullshit indeed. But uh sitting there pirating shit you won't even play that's a whole different sad sack thing to do"
"YOU FUCKING LAWYER MOTHERFUCKER REGIONAL PRICING IS BULLSHIT ITS FORCING ME TO PIRATE ALL THESE GAMES I WONT PLAY ZERO POINT TWENTY FIVE CENTS PER THIRTY MINUTES GRAAAAAGH"

Gentlemen, we are starting to understand what kind of neural short-circuits are involved in believing that Skyrim and Fallout 4 are the greatest games.

But perhaps the real crux of it is that our poor subject is just lonely. Do you see how a simple question sets the subject off on a long and irrelevant rant about himself and his feelings? Poor fellow has simply never learnt how to deal with his emotions.

Thankfully, the Codex is full of well balanced personalities that shall help him on his journey to a functioning member of society.

Yeah yeah, after i exposed your retardation your last stand is name-calling, typical.

You are too idiotic to understand that gaming is such an expensive investment, especially for people in Greece or Bulgaria, that we can't really afford to pay money for games that won't satisfy us. 60$ are nothing to you, here 60$ is the basic wage for 3 days of work. The basic monthly wage in Greece is 600$, and when you remove rent, bills, and food, you barely can keep around 200$ for all other expenses, maximum. 60$ is a huge deal. You can't spend that money on a game that is mediocre. If i was in Germany, that evil nazi nation that is exploiting Europe, and made their wages, i wouldn't mind, but i am living in a poorer country so i can't waste money like that. Why is it so hard to understand? Prices here are more expensive than in Germany for everything, not just video games, while wages are 1/3 at best. So if you think i am going to blindly spend 60$ for every game in the hopes that it is good, before trying it first, you are an idiot.

There are 2 options, i either pirate first/buy later, or don't buy at all and find another hobby. You can't shame me into not-pirating, because you are simply expecting to get money from me that just, aren't there... There are no money to give. Period.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

No they don't. This is a lie. Why you shills have to lie? You have to BUY a game, and if you play under 2 hours in the first 2 weeks, you can request a refund. You can't do this for every game, there is a limit, after a while they will stop accepting that. They don't allow you infinite refund requests. This is not the same as "install any game for 2 hours and play for free". So cut the crap.
No, there is no limit. You have to pay for the game and within 2 weeks, if you played it for less than 2 hours, you can get a full refund, no questions asked. You can literally give "the game wasn't fun" as the refund reason. The only two differences between this and what you asked for in your post are:
- there is a sort of "deposit" (but it's irrelevant, because it gets fully refunded);
- you have a 2 weeks time limit, but how can it be relevant? If you haven't played the game for more than 2 hours in two weeks, just refund it.

This is LITERALLY what you asked for in your post. You just don't care because you don't want to waste money on videogames (and I feel you, it was the same for me when I was 14 years old).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Desperados III isn't challenging enough for you yet? Mimimi Games got you covered: Today's FREE update introduces four brand new Baron's Challenges. Flagstone, Mayor Higgin's Estate, Eagle Falls, and the Casa DeVitt will each have one new special challenge for you.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
ow74KbA.png

TMSuLFY.png

The publisher of D3 is THQNordic while ShadowTacs was Deadalic.

Lemming42

Arcane
Steampunk! There aren't that many steampunk games, and this genre lends itself perfectly to it - main character could be some kind of inventor and adventurer with all kinds of batshit crazy devices to distract/KO enemies.

I don't mind historical settings but I'd really like to play more real time tactics games in totally fictional worlds.

Kitchen Utensil

THQ Nordic overexpanded imo. I think I realise why publishers are a necessary evil (in order to compensate for risks and prevent studios from bankruptcy caused by singular failures), but in reality that always results in studios avoiding any risks, trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator. One or two more titles, and Mimimi also will be there (banal, shit, boring).

Good video games more often than not are suicide operations.

overly excitable young man

Probably just a second Robin Hood game and since Spellbound belongs to THQ Nordic it sounds realistic.
Commandos is less realistic but still possible if Kalypso and Nordic reach an agreement.
But best possibility for good Commandos would just be Nordic outright buying Kalypso.

CyberModuled

Arbiter
ow74KbA.png

TMSuLFY.png

The publisher of D3 is THQNordic while ShadowTacs was Deadalic.
Wow, it's almost like the former was only $6 less than a month ago on Steam... (also D3 was on Steam's top June 2020 releases so that still leads towards more positive than negative sales until Nordic gives out its quarter report in late August).

THQ Nordic overexpanded imo. I think I realise why publishers are a necessary evil (in order to compensate for risks and prevent studios from bankruptcy caused by singular failures), but in reality that always results in studios avoiding any risks, trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator. One or two more titles, and Mimimi also will be there (banal, shit, boring).

Good video games more often than not are suicide operations.
I can agree with the general sentiment but not the specifics. While they're not fully "AAA", Nordic definitely was advertising D3 towards a much larger audience than someone like Daedalic could've back in 2016 so in a larger scale of audience appeal, isometric stealth as a genre is pretty fresh for a lot of people compared to most people on the forum here. That plus given its development time since 2017, three years is still probably a decent amount to fund project wise even if it's definitely more in a "AA" scale. However, I do agree that whether THQ Nordic funded or not, Mimimi's next title attempts to freshen their stealth mechanics.

CyberModuled

Arbiter
was on Steam's top June 2020 releases
That doesn't really mean that much,it is important what the competition was and the actual sales. You could be top seller and still sell shit.
I'd at least like to hope with the other games on the listing (Sea of Thieves, Titanfall 2, P4 Golden, etc.) who were hogging the top 10 global bestsellelrs through most of the month due to their cheap prices ($10-$30 range usually), the fact that D3 is on there at all with its $50 price tag on pre-order/launch with no discount makes me hope a bit even if the intention of the list isn't to directly compare game sales. But yes, I agree it's definitely far from an accurate determination of good sales and at the end of the day, the late August financial from Nordic will matter the most when determining sales figures with whatever expectations they had for it.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
I triggered Curratum by just posting 2 pics without context lol.

I'll explain to you, tardo, why I mentioned the publishers. They potentially set prices and discounts. Deadelic is not related THQ Nordic. Deadelic is now also back in private hands of the founders (sold back to them for 400k).
Is the price dump at release time a jab THQ Nordic and Mimimi? Could be.

Curratum

I'm only triggered by your immense stupidity, posting player graphs of a game that costs 50 and one that I bought for 5 right after Desperados.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
Sometimes posting on the Dex feels like I am talking to literally mentally handicapped children...
You have to explain the idea to morons on fucking fingers till they get the point, holy shit.

Curratum

On the block list you go, there's general codex autism and then there's people like you...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom