Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Detroit: Become Human - new David Cage game

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014

Venser

Erudite
DfaxovHVMAISUiw.jpg:large

Mark Richard

Arcane
Aside from the suddenness of an Android future, this world seems fairly convincing. Scan faces at the bar and notice almost everyone is jobless, with the unemployment rate reaching over a third of the population according to writing scrawled on the bathroom wall. Pick up a magazine and read about how androids have taken over professional sports, crushing human players in games designed for human limitations. Nod sagely at claims that half of men prefer sex with an android over a real person.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Aside from the suddenness of an Android future, this world seems fairly convincing. Scan faces at the bar and notice almost everyone is jobless, with the unemployment rate reaching over a third of the population according to writing scrawled on the bathroom wall.

I don't buy that, just 150 years ago 90% of world's population was working in agriculture, now it's 2%, we have more food than ever and the unemployment rates are not that high. The world in this game is so cliche and not thought-provoking it hurts. What is the big deal if people wouldn't be maids or janitors anymore, does anyone dreamed as a kid to be low paid servant? What actual jobs are robots used for, mundane shit nobody wants to do? The horror!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Aside from the suddenness of an Android future, this world seems fairly convincing. Scan faces at the bar and notice almost everyone is jobless, with the unemployment rate reaching over a third of the population according to writing scrawled on the bathroom wall.

I don't buy that, just 150 years ago 90% of world's population was working in agriculture, now it's 2%, we have more food than ever and the unemployment rates are not that high. The world in this game is so cliche and not thought-provoking it hurts. What is the big deal if people wouldn't be maids or janitors anymore, does anyone dreamed as a kid to be low paid servant? What actual jobs are robots used for, mundane shit nobody wants to do? The horror!
And what do you expect normal people to do once most labour jobs are done by tincans? People are jobless because thy are not needed to make food. Also food production doesn't depend only on the number of people producing it,land and soil quality are the major ones. Another thing is that modern prices of food are higher than the prices 50 years ago or a century. Also there is a lot of starving countries in the world,don't judge everything based on your personal experience.

PS:Yeah Cage is pretty shit at making worlds,his does have a lot of halfassed ideas.

blrrmmmff

Scholar
Muscle was replaced by machines. But it just created loads of jobs for handling the machines. Which were simple tasks. So loads of new jobs were created.

But what if all those simple tasks are automated away by AI, and most jobs that are created require higher levels of abstract thought? As the lower levels of abstraction are more predictable and can be automated easily by AI. I can see 30% unemployment becoming a reality. Only reason it has not happened yet is because AI has a lot of difficulties still with the finer motor skill jobs. And with recognizing objects at a very high efficiency. Which is the vast majority of jobs. It took a bot 20 min to put together a very simple Ikea chair recently:
https://www.businessinsider.nl/robot-ikea-chair-assembly-2018-4/?international=true&r=US

Elon Musk thought he could automate his factories entirely but he was mistaken too. And he will probably burn for that. Only reason chess is easier for machines is because our brains did not evolve to do that well, but we got millions of years in head start with finer motor skills.

But if that changes, what can humans do besides higher level abstraction jobs and some empathy requiring jobs like nursing (which are limited)?

If you agree with me you basically say that a significant portion of the population is pretty much capped intellectually, no matter how much education is improved. And will be obsolete. If you disagree you say that current 70 and 80 IQ people can have their potential unlocked somehow.

That said, is this game worth getting?

Drakron

Arcane

There are several issues, the first is that androids in this are simply dumb, human shaped I can understand for things like personal assistants and clerks but there is no reason to have human shape for tasks as window cleaning and other specialized tasks.

And yes, the issue with human population being stuck on a capitalist society were they simply put, cannot survive due to automation reaching a point were the need of human workers reached a point a significant amount of the human population cannot contribute anymore is simply ... mostly ignored, yet the story is about slavery with the the slaves being humans because they arent androids, they act or behave as androids, there is nothing diferent that humans despite the fact they arent, David Cage jsut made a story about human slavery.

Deathsquid

Learned
Pretty much, yeah. A lot of pretty human slaves. So hard to feel sympathy to pretty human slaves, yes, yes. Doesn't help that it's heavy-handed as fuck.

Isaac Asimov had better robot stories on paper a nearly a half a century ago.

Gerrard

Arcane
My favorite part was the automated highway that had a giant holographic warning sign but no actual barriers to prevent some drunk or children from getting onto it.

The real problem is, if androids are so cheap and efficient, why can't they just work for everyone so they can live without having to work and not be fucking poor at the same time?

Deathsquid

Learned
Myeah, actually, the story would be much more interesting and the choices would be a lot tougher if the androids were not all looking like a bunch of perfect humans, and/or if the lives of the humans would have been actually made perfect by their robotic slaves. Or if the robots actually managed a critical aspect of the human society. Or I dunno, if IoT would go sentient and demand unionizing for pressure cookers. What's the actual problem? Everyone is already a miserable shit in this world, just add unemployed miserable robots to the mix, stop producing blue blood or hike up its price and make them work to death for it, wow, it's almost as if the problem can solve itself. Also, for intelligent machines they're all pretty fucking dumb. How are you going to get that blue blood, you dipshits? Who's gonna service you?

There's just one actual mention of android revolution being a serious issue, and that's when the news broadcast mentions that the crisis has basically knocked out 75% of US' military might. Okay, that is severe. But also, it's something we're never shown - we only hear about it. And yet at the same time, while this issue is so severe, there's nearly no investigating going into it. Would think that all the 600 special services would be all over this, but no, it's just two sets of detectives or something. Wow?

Martius

Liturgist
We now live in age when people play in games the same way they play in movies.
Motion capture is not new idea. Its a problem when some like Cage has no iteresting ideas for it. What about interesting action scenes which would be hard to perform in real life? Meh, who needs that crap, right?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Motion capture is not new idea. Its a problem when some like Cage has no iteresting ideas for it. What about interesting action scenes which would be hard to perform in real life? Meh, who needs that crap, right?

As a big fan of DMC3, this video was fucking awesome. Thanks for sharing it.

Jarmaro

Liturgist

I didn't mean motion capture, that was a thing since prince of persia. I meant that in-game characters look exactly like the actors that play them.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
My favorite part was the automated highway that had a giant holographic warning sign but no actual barriers to prevent some drunk or children from getting onto it.
That was the best fucking part. It was automated, too, and it had power running all along it for those holographic warning signs, but it had no means to stop the cars in it if there's a person in front of them.

Lurker47

Savant
Quantic Dream could make some really good games if David Cage wasn't writing them. Their C&C is way better than Telltale's though it often doesn't make much sense due to the poor writing.

imweasel

I just finished a playthrough of Detroit: Become Human and was very surprised by the amounts of C&C and story paths the game has to offer. I don't think I've ever seen a game with so many choices that can slightly or drastically determine the fate of characters and outcome of the world.

It also easily the best looking game on the PS4. Only God of War comes close.

Venser

Erudite
Might pick up Detroit soon, been playing too many VR games lately. I finished Beyond: Two Souls like 2 months ago and liked it quite a bit even tho it jumped the shark a couple of times during the story. It had some of the best acting in video games, excellent motion capture and facial animation that is still ahead of many games today and that was a PS3 game (I played remaster on PS4). Poor Ellen Page never cried that much in her entire acting career like she had to for this game cause David Cage demands EMOTION :D

imweasel

^
David Cage showed Ellen Page pictures of big fat dicks to make her cry profusely. He is a MASTER of his art! :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom