Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Deus Ex: Human Revolution Sports Over 9000 lines of Dialogue

Achilles

Arcane
The trailer was somewhat promising (except for the protagonists stupid hair) so I;m quietly hoping that it will be decent. Maybe I'm just not a learning animal, but who knows.

denizsi

Arcane
Oblivion was a bad game because they didn't put enough effort into the game. I mean, there were only 60000 (60K) lines of dialogue! What a joke, even Teletubbies gotta have more and it shows too; it's such a quality show. If only they wrote twice as much...

Oh, Dicksmoker, you're such a goldmine.

Anyway, Mary Demarle, person in charge of writing according to the article. Her background doesn't tell much, to me at least as I haven't played those either of those games and she's only a secondary script writer in half of those.

Lemunde

Scholar
I really don't like where this trend with spoken dialog is going. My hard drive can't take much more and I haven't seen a decent modded quest in years.

StrangeCase

Educated
ITT: Posers desperately trying to find something wrong with 200,000 lines of dialogue, and failing miserably.

Oh, there's nothing particularly wrong with having 200,000 lines of dialogue. It's just that there's nothing particularly right about it either. It's just a numerical way of saying "People will talk a lot in this game." They're trying to imply that it's awesome and immersive and has meaningful C&C and moral grey areas and is streamlined and on and on with the buzzwords, but they're not really stating anything of significance.

ChristofferC said:
They should hire 10 minimum wage ppl to write 5 000 000 lines of dialog. The more dialog the merrier, right?

That would probably be a big step up. After all, if they started hiring minimum wage ppl they'd be going from developers-who-are-wannabe-writers to genuine professional writers, or at the very least, creative arts graduates [/zing!].

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
poocolator said:
Sigh. They advertised the number of Fallout 3's lines of dialogue and, well, we all know how that shite turned out.
better than oblivion.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Does anybody has the link or a screenshot of the page were Skyway reviewed some games and gave NWN a very good score?

CrimHead

Scholar
FFS Kosmonaut that's when he was young and impressionable 2 years ago he has since become an RPG scholar get off his ass

Dny

Educated
SuicideBunny said:
poocolator said:
Sigh. They advertised the number of Fallout 3's lines of dialogue and, well, we all know how that shite turned out.
better than oblivion.

No.
You're retarded.
NPC in FO3 were less believable than in Oblivion and the [Intelligence] (skill check) dialogues managed to be dumber than the regular choices what with stating the obvious like [Intelligence] "So you fight the Good Fight with your voice on Galaxy News Radio" ? to Three Dog. FO3 had plenty of those gems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3cxqd5pr0M#t=1m08s

WELL H-O-L-Y SHIT

I'm going to believe that people were shitting on Oblivion just because they wanted KOOL POINTS because there is no way in hell that FO3 improved anything, it's worse.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Dny said:
NPC in FO3 were less believable than in Oblivion and the [Intelligence] (skill check) dialogues managed to be dumber than the regular choices
four words:
admire boast coerce joke

MetalCraze said:
I can see some of those people in this thread who baaaweed at me for criticizing AP (and ME2 too) before its release (except I criticized it based on 20+ previews which "were not enough").
But now that its Square Enix (which isn't TRVE L33T like Obsidian) criticizing before playing it is totally OK.

Codex is indeed a very prestigious place full of intelligent individuals

No one is criticizing the game. Not even that unspecified hivemind you keep talking about.

Kosmo said:
Does anybody has the link or a screenshot of the page were Skyway reviewed some games and gave NWN a very good score?

metalcraze.jpg

never_forget_wtc1.jpg

Shannow

Waster of Time
Clockwork Knight said:
MetalCraze said:
I can see some of those people in this thread who baaaweed at me for criticizing AP (and ME2 too) before its release (except I criticized it based on 20+ previews which "were not enough").
But now that its Square Enix (which isn't TRVE L33T like Obsidian) criticizing before playing it is totally OK.

Codex is indeed a very prestigious place full of intelligent individuals

No one is criticizing the game. Not even that unspecified hivemind you keep talking about.
200.000 lines of dialogue:
Obsidian: Awesome. I bet MCA wrote all of that himself. I get so wet and dreamy when I think about MCA writing his awesome dialogue. Obsidian truly is the last bastion of people who don't think redding is teh hard.
Squeenix: LOL, more like
"You are."
"He is." amirite? ROFLcopter
No, no, more like FF XV, 2 billion lines of dialogue and it still sucks.
No, no, they're lying like Bethesda with the Retarded AI. Or at least it'll be as bad as FO3's [Intelligence] options...

And so on, and so forth. Of course I'm using some hyperbole and of course there is no consistent hivemind but that sure is the general impression I get.
And what's that with attacks on skyway's scoring of NWN? Does that have anything to do with the general reaction here when some random studio's PR hypes shit compared to when Obsidian's PR hypes turds?

Shannow said:
And so on, and so forth. Of course I'm using some hyperbole and of course there is no consistent hivemind but that sure is the general impression I get.

The impression I get is that since Dragon Age also boasted about having over 9000 dialogue lines, this sort of claim isn't that impressive.

And what's that with attacks on skyway's scoring of NWN? Does that have anything to do with the general reaction here when some random studio's PR hypes shit compared to when Obsidian's PR hypes turds?

No, it just has to do with his annoying online persona in general. It's no secret the codex is a fanboy hive.

Angthoron

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Shannow said:

The impression I get is that since Dragon Age also boasted about having over 9000 dialogue lines, this sort of claim isn't that impressive.

There was this guy a couple hundred years ago that went to write an imba epic that spans 27 tomes. None of these tomes is readable because they're boring and inane. Then there's Milton, who went and wrote Paradise Lost. And Salvatore with his tons of Drizzt books.

And then there's a limerick on the wall of a public toilet. Which is more entertaining and why?

Jim Cojones

Prophet
In this thread:

[Information: there will be n lines of dialogue in the game]
[First reactions: it doesn't mean much, we'll have to see if it's well written]
[Later reactions: lol, Codex bitching about too much dialogue!]
[Conclusions: it's probably because it's not an Obsidian game]

Seriously, do you people even try to read other posts or enter bitching mode automatically?

Shannow

Waster of Time
Clockwork Knight said:
Shannow said:

Hmmm? Who was saying anything about "impressive"? We're talking about the obvious double standards that are pervasive on the codex.
Lotsa dialogue in non-Obsidian studio game: 70% can be surmised under "ROFL", 15% under "not very impressive", 5% under "But guize, you don't know anything about the gaim yet!", 5% under "I am very butthurt about these double standards", 5% under "I am very butthurt about skyway calling me out on my double standards".
Lotsa dialogue in an Obsidian game: "70% I want to make lotsa babies with MCA so I can rule my own development studio through necromany and little MCAs", 20% "Sounds good, lets see what they do with it", 5% "redding is teh hard", 5% "But, but...Obsidian (employees) hasn't (haven't) provided good storytelling or dialogue since PS:T. Even MotB looks weak when compared to average fantasy novels..."

I could live with it if comments were backed up by mentions of track records, etc... But I have yet to see one such reference in this thread.

Disclaimer: Of course the percentage of double standard butthurt rises the longer the thread gets and the more the whole thing becomes an issue on the codex. But since we all "don't really care" I gave it the percentage it deserved.

As Jim said above your post, the Obsidian thing was pulled out of Skyway's ass. No one said anything about MCA, we just commented on how "game has a bajillion lines of dialogue" doesn't really mean anything until we have examples of said dialogue so we know how good it is.

edit: there are a few jokes but these are sort of a knee-jerk reaction to squeenix / baw lore rape

Shannow

Waster of Time
Jim Cojones said:
In this thread:

[Information: there will be n lines of dialogue in the game]
[First reactions: it doesn't mean much, we'll have to see if it's well written]
[Later reactions: lol, Codex bitching about too much dialogue!]
[Conclusions: it's probably because it's not an Obsidian game]

Seriously, do you people even try to read other posts or enter bitching mode automatically?
First two comments:
ChristofferC said:
They should hire 10 minimum wage ppl to write 5 000 000 lines of dialog. The more dialog the merrier, right?
Higher Game said:
Most of it will be Squeenix emofagspeak.

Gods, I hate it when people claim bullshit and then fail so hard. In German we call what I'm feeling right now after reading Jim's post "Fremdscham"...

EDIT:
Clockwork Knight said:
As Jim said above your post, the Obsidian thing was pulled out of Skyway's ass. No one said anything about MCA, we just commented on how "game has a bajillion lines of dialogue" doesn't really mean anything until we have examples of said dialogue so we know how good it is.
I said something about MCA, after reading about a gazillion threads about how awesome he is. Don't evade the issue, you know right well that that'd be the reaction to 200.000 dialogue lines by ObsidianMCA.

And I pointed out that there were some levelheaded comments along the lines of "wait, and see, quantity doesn't equal quality", they just weren't the first and they're not the majority.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom