Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Deus Ex: Human Revolution Sports Over 9000 lines of Dialogue

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Shannow said:
First two comments:
ChristofferC said:
They should hire 10 minimum wage ppl to write 5 000 000 lines of dialog. The more dialog the merrier, right?
Higher Game said:
Most of it will be Squeenix emofagspeak.

Gods, I hate it when people claim bullshit and then fail so hard. In German we call what I'm feeling right now after reading your post "Fremdscham"...
Second one is one of the only two clearly negative reaction in the entire thread. The first one is just sceptical and fits in "it doesn't mean anything" group. Neither one of the posters you quoted wasn't particularly active in Alpha Protocol threads. Later there was a single suggestion that the claim may not be true, also coming from a poster who isn't an Obsidian fan.

And I pointed out that there were some levelheaded comments along the lines of "wait, and see, quantity doesn't equal quality", they just weren't the first and they're not the majority.
From the first page of the thread:
They should hire 10 minimum wage ppl to write 5 000 000 lines of dialog. The more dialog the merrier, right?
The leaked trailer was already rather disappointing. Also, the sheer amount of dialogues doesn't say anything about its quality.
I'm pretty sure FF13 has more lines of dialogue than any western RPG.. and it's not any better for it. 200 000 lines of bullshit is still bullshit.
Quality is what matters. Everybody knows that. In fact, I'd dare to think that the original Fallout has less dialogue lines than many JRPGs.
They can have as many lines as they want just make it interesting for God's sake. Enough hyping! FFS FFS
Dialog is a tool that shouldn't even be used unless the developers are willing to go the extra mile and put a competent writer in charge of writing it. I would rather play a game with next to no dialog than a game with 200,000 lines of bad dialog.
FeelTheRads said:
Dicksmoker said:
MANY DAiLOG LEINS = GOOD GAEM
How is that not majority? Beside that there were two aforementioned negative reactions, and a couple of posts disputing if "a lot of lines" = "a lot of words". And of course a lot of meta-posts but they hardly count because they were off-topic.

Suchy

Arcane
The lead writer is a chick --> game will be emo.
She worked on Myst and Splinter's Cell: Conviction. I haven't played neither - did they feature any good writing?

Flesh Mound

Novice
MetalCraze said:
But now that its Square Enix (which isn't TRVE L33T like Obsidian) criticizing before playing it is totally OK.

Codex is indeed a very prestigious place full of intelligent individuals

I didn't think Square Enix had anything to do with this game, other than being the parent company to Eidos.

Whatever happens though, it can't be worse than Deus Ex 2.

Dny

Educated
SuicideBunny said:
Dny said:
NPC in FO3 were less believable than in Oblivion and the [Intelligence] (skill check) dialogues managed to be dumber than the regular choices
four words:
admire boast coerce joke

That's a minigame, not part of the actual dialogue. FO3 is worse than Oblivion in every respect, Oblivion being a turd I wonder if there's a word strong enough to describe FO3. Calling FO3 a turd would be understatement of the century.

Achilles

Arcane
I see nothing wrong with Skyway's list, except maybe Medieval 2. Could someone explain to me why this list is embarassing for him, I seem to have missed the backstory behind this.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
How is that not majority?

So you're saying ALL those were negative comments? Hmm... so unless you fellate it, you're negative. That fits the codex all-right.

Is this negative?

The leaked trailer was already rather disappointing. Also, the sheer amount of dialogues doesn't say anything about its quality.

Seems to me like it says that huge amount of dialogs doesn't say anything about how good the game or even the dialog will be.

Is this negative?

Quality is what matters. Everybody knows that. In fact, I'd dare to think that the original Fallout has less dialogue lines than many JRPGs.

Again, seems to say what the above one does.

Is this negative?

They can have as many lines as they want just make it interesting for God's sake. Enough hyping! FFS FFS

Like the above two, but also asks to provide instead of hyping.

Is this negative?

Dialog is a tool that shouldn't even be used unless the developers are willing to go the extra mile and put a competent writer in charge of writing it. I would rather play a game with next to no dialog than a game with 200,000 lines of bad dialog.

Perfectly level-headed post, I would say.

OH MY GAWD THE NEGATIVITE!!!

MANY DAiLOG LEINS = GOOD GAEM

This, of course, is trolling Dicksmoker because he's such a fucking low form of life and it's always fun to see him squirm. But, would YOU say many dialog lines=good game? Or that it means ANYTHING in the current industry?

Konjad seems to think so. In fact, he seems to think that even TOO MANY dialogues are a good thing. Fuck quality or anything.

Codex is bitching about too many dialogues today.

The same shit as with the current C&C crowd. As long as they can choose some irrelevant shit and plenty of times they'll be happy. Who the fuck cares about quality, let it pour shit.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Alexandros said:
I see nothing wrong with Skyway's list, except maybe Medieval 2. Could someone explain to me why this list is embarassing for him, I seem to have missed the backstory behind this.

It's horrible man. He changed his opinion about two of those games, that invalidates everything he says.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Jim Cojones said:
From the first page of the thread:
I'm pretty sure FF13 has more lines of dialogue than any western RPG.. and it's not any better for it. 200 000 lines of bullshit is still bullshit.
Yes, those are all negative... Especially when compared to the reaction one could expect if ObsidianMCA were to hype with "OMG 200.000 lines of dialogue!!!"
That's the fun part about discussions on the codex, you'll always dance arround the main point. CK, with "I didn't find 9000 lines of dialogue in DA impressive" and you with "But wait, this clearly negative comment isn't negative at all. Neither is this one. If we take those two, add a few more, detract this one, divide by that one and in the end my comment will still clearly be false but I will have distracted from the actual point which was that newfag codex has double standards when dealing will Obsidian".

Oh, here is some "argument" to use against me in the future: I like Hordes of the Underdark, too. You may abbreviate that to "Shannow likes NWN, lolololol" like you do with skyway. We'll all know what you mean ;)

madbringer

Arcane
This is amazing there will be so much to read lol i love those little text boxes "press A to continue" little yellow dancing arrow and stuff xD

FeelTheRads said:
Alexandros said:

It's horrible man. He changed his opinion about two of those games, that invalidates everything he says.

The problem isn't the ratings or changing his opinion, it's how radical the change is due to retarded online persona purposes. Quick example:

Fallout 2 = 99%

incredible 3 years later...

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... 39#1039239

MetalCraze said:
relootz said:
is being made by Obsidian Entertainment.

Will we see another bugfest? :x

I think it will be this way:

Failout 3 - Beth-grade lulz + Fallout 2-grade lulz (you can hit enemy in the groin with the golf stick and it will blind him lolololo) + bugs = Failout 3.5

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... 961#866961

MetalCraze said:
Fallout 2
It's nice to see that Feargus and Avellone still stick to their roots.
Especially considering that "fall in love and get married" was another piece of lulz with goddam' hillbillies

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... 300#815300

Metalcraze said:
Of course - let's look Fallout never had inane writing right from the start, the very first city that you get to 3 minutes after the game starts already had C&Cs and meaningful gameplay.
Ah but you must be talking about Fallout 2! Let's see the first location was shit. The writing was dumb. And surprise surprise - it was like that throughout the whole game.
Nice comparisons, man.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... 285#816285

Metalcraze said:
As for F2 dialogs - they sucked hard too. Unless you call /gd/-level writing - quality. Not mentioning tons of lame pop-culture references and lulz a la "LOL blowing toilet!". F2 even had next to none story.
Just because it had C&C which for some stupid reason is the most important thing in RPGs in next-gen crowd circles doesn't make F2 any less of a rape.
I admit that those things seemed good to me too. When I was 15 years old.

That last sentence makes the list even better. And given his previous lies he probably didn't play half of the games on that list.

Shannow said:
That's the fun part about discussions on the codex, you'll always dance arround the main point. CK, with "I didn't find 9000 lines of dialogue in DA impressive"

The subject of the thread is "DX:HR will have 200.000 lines of dialogue", so I don't think I'm dancing around the main point. Whether the codex would slobber over Obsidian saying the same thing or not is another matter.

Black

Arcane
Higher Game said:
Most of it will be Squeenix emofagspeak.
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
B)
That's like
Deep, man
You know
Oh, and didn't popamole age have more dialogue than Torment?

Der_Unbekannte

Educated

man you really hate Skyway. That or you have a shitload of time to search out those quotes. Probably both.

Only thing that the amount of dialogue tells me is, that it won't be a pure shooter without story. So let's wait and flame afterwards.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Stop trying to squirrel your way out of it, CK. You're a creepy fella, you are.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jim Cojones said:
In this thread:

[Information: there will be n lines of dialogue in the game]
[First reactions: it doesn't mean much, we'll have to see if it's well written]
[Later reactions: lol, Codex bitching about too much dialogue!]
[Conclusions: it's probably because it's not an Obsidian game]

Seriously, do you people even try to read other posts or enter bitching mode automatically?

They're never not in bitching mode.

StrangeCase

Educated
NPC in FO3 were less believable than in Oblivion and the [Intelligence] (skill check) dialogues managed to be dumber than the regular choices what with stating the obvious like [Intelligence] "So you fight the Good Fight with your voice on Galaxy News Radio" ? to Three Dog. FO3 had plenty of those gems.

If you imagine that Three Dog is breaking character and being deadpan sarcastic in his response, it's actually pretty funny.

I thought the PC realized Three Dog babbles about people having to the good fight while he is safe inside GNR, so PC says something implying "So you 'fight' by talking from inside GNR while we're out there fighting the mutants, uh". The comment goes over 3dog's head, though.

That may be giving the scene too much credit, but fuck it. Personal canon, byotch.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
poocolator said:
Sigh. They advertised the number of Fallout 3's lines of dialogue and, well, we all know how that shite turned out.

[Intelligence] So you say it turned out bad?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom