Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Released

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Infinitron, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Daedalos Arcane The Real Fanboy

Daedalos
    Must of that is butthurt about performance problems, bugs etc. Not the game itself.

• butthurt butthurt x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Black Arcane

Black
    [​IMG]

• hopw roewur ne x 5
    • Funny x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Ash Arcane

Ash
    That's all I wanted. For you to analyze the games and come to your own conclusion. We're free to disagree here. My conclusion is DX:HR is a horrible popamole butchery of DX, though still playable. And FO3 is a horrible butchery of FO, though still playable, but at least it doesn't streamline the absolute shit out of the game and go awesome button popamole extreme.

:popamole:

:neveraskedforthis:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Black Arcane

Black
    :retarded:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Yes, it streamlines. Yes, it adds popamole elements, but it's nowhere near extreme as in the case of HR. Infinitron himself said FO3 was rather old school principled for a 2008 game, and it was.

See this is what I mean. Extreme double standards. How the fuck is unfaithful streamlined popamole "fine".

^ Top  
  6. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    What a pointless argument. Have you been doing this all night?

The reason people on this site dislike Fallout 3 is because its content is juvenile and stupid, not because of some mechanistic analysis of streamlining.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. M0RBUS Augur

M0RBUS
    That whole conversation started from this.
    What you're saying is Fallout 3 had walls of text in the first five minutes (it didn't) and decent atmosphere (it didn't).
    Can we discuss this instead rather than going on about double standards?
    There's plenty of reasons why any Bethesda game is not "good for what it is", and the proof is in how so many of their fans consciously forgive so much crap simply because it's a Bethesda game. Fallout 3 was "good for a Bethesda game", but certainly "good for what it is" is a different notion than that.

This is exceedingly true, from my experience, and certainly in what concerns me. I wouldn't care for all the terrible design decisions they made if they had tried to make an interesting game in the first place. As it stands, juvenile and stupid are a couple of nice words to describe it.

^ Top  
  8. Ash Arcane

Ash
    You mean significant parts of its writing are juvenile and stupid. Blasting radscorpions in FO3 or managing your inventory is no less juvenile than doing the same in FO1. And as Vault Dweller pointed out, Codex likes New Vegas, generally speaking, and while it has better writing and design all-round compared to FO3, they still share a shitload in common.

Meanwhile, Deus Ex's gameplay was mature and intelligent, didn't lead you around by the nose and point shit out across the room, or have mindless awesome button takedowns, and let you make your own decisions without encouraging specific playstyles through popamole design. In general you had to play intelligently, experiment and figure things out. In contrast, Human Revolution's gameplay is juvenile and stupid.

Aside from the two optional e-books in HR's intro, they probably had roughly the same amount of dialogue and text.

Atmosphere is debatable. HR's piss filter is as crappy as FO3's snot filter. Of course there's more to establishing atmosphere than that, but I'm not going to even try to argue on the matter. They're both underwhelming games that shit on their origins and that is the reality.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. GrainWetski Arcane

GrainWetski
    Next up: Call of Duty #54389543 Released!

^ Top  
  10. M0RBUS Augur

M0RBUS
    Well, the extreme amounts of filler combat are juvenile and stupid.
    VATS is.
    The character creation is.
    The level and world design is (for the most part, there are some hidden gems in there).
    The item design is as well.
    All that remains after than is the real time combat (which is bad), the UI (ditto) and quest design, which is creative at least, but linear as all hell.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Licaon_Kter Augur

Licaon_Kter
    Deus Ex: RPG Codex Divided

:yeah:

• Funny Funny x 11
    ^ Top  
  12. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    Deus (Cod)Ex: Dividendus humanus et forum

^ Top  
  13. Didn't know that. Still a gay marketing term for FPS/RPG though.
    For all your accusations that we are all secret DX:HR fans (I think I played it once), you are coming off as a closet FO3/Bethesda fan with every post.

^ Top  
  14. Back on topic, I saw reviews on steam and reddit that claim there are *save specific* micro-transactions.

So you buy something for $5 and then have to buy it again every time you start a new game.

Full list of microtransaction lameness:
    http://twinfinite.net/2016/08/all-deus-ex-mankind-divideds-microtransactions-prices/
    :dead:

• Rage Rage x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    You could have also seen that in the original post of this thread. +M

However, I don't think you can buy them more than once? Not on Steam, anyway.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Just trying to get us back on topic, men. :M

edit:
    Actually, I saw it before I posted in this thread - wanting to discuss it was the reason I clicked on the news post to begin with. Didn't even read it, I'll admit. :M

Then I got distracted by Ash's post and well...

^ Top  
  17. Ninjerk Arcane

Ninjerk
    Remember when horse armor seemed like a dumb idea?

• Doggy Doggy x 2
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. imweasel Guest

imweasel
    I got some items as a pre-order bonus. It is true.

I am not sure why anybody would want buy this stuff to unbalance the game (single player) anyway.

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Daedalos Arcane The Real Fanboy

Daedalos
    Only thing I got was the 3 different coats for jensen (which are cool) and some more skins, and then some weapons. But since I'm mostly a non-lethal stealth player, I don't care for it anyway. So eh.

Best thing about it, is it extra mission that I get.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Carrion Arcane Patron

Carrion
    There's a very specific philosophy linked to the concept of an immersive sim, dating back to Looking Glass. Just slapping some RPG elements on a shooter doesn't turn it into an immersive sim, nor is it even required. Thief is an immersive sim, and it's neither a shooter nor an RPG of any kind.

The whole FO3/HR thing is pretty clear-cut in my opinion: Human Revolution is not a Deus Ex game, and Fallout 3 is not a Fallout game. Once you've got that notion out of the way, you can look at the games for what they are, and Human Revolution has some merits of its own whereas Fallout 3 has not.

This is retarded, because most of that is just superficial shit. New Vegas has all of the things or shortcomings of FO3 that you listed, and it's much more faithful to the original than either HR or FO3.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Spectacle Arcane Patron

Spectacle
    Fallout 3 would not have been a good game even if it had been faithfully made in the FO2 engine. The plot and setting is just too retarded. Popamole mechanics is merely a layer of birdshit icing on a turd.

Compare to New Vegas, where you can carefully scrape away the shit icing to reveal a hearty chocolate cake.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Dev_Anj Learned

Dev_Anj
    I know that. My point specifically was that trying to compare two games with different design approaches to each other, and their predecessors and then debating their faithfulness based on some nitpicked elements is pointless, since it doesn't tell the whole story. Frankly, a lot of Ash's complaints with HR could easily dismissed as "nitpicks" too by people who aren't bothered with them. Like how it has third person cover shooting/sneaking or it holds the player's hand using objective markers and radar, especially since most of that can be turned off. And no, I know that simply turning the handholdy elements doesn't make it a worthwhile successor to the original or improve the main design significantly, it just means that some people can disregard them if they so wish.

^ Top  
  23. himmy Arcane

himmy

How come we don't have a reaction for money hungry practices such as this? Although if we did it would probably be a retarded /vg/-like joke about Jews, so maybe forget about it.

^ Top  
  24. Gord Arcane

Gord
    I remember there was quite some backlash when they wanted to introduce advertisements into DX:HR.
    Well, technically you don't need to buy that nonsense and will thus evade it, and I hope that few enough people do that they ever consider doing it again, but then again, there are a lot of consumers acting retarded...

However, isn't this just begging for some lawsuit? After all you usually assume that such a "product" is permanent in single-player AAA games, so caveat emptor notwithstanding, this seems to leave the door wide open for some enterprising lawyer.

^ Top  
  25. Licaon_Kter Augur

Licaon_Kter
    Take LifeIsStrange for instance, its EULA says stuff about ads ( 6. In-Game Advertising ) but only in the non-US EULA.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.