Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 2: Resurrected remaster

Replicante

Educated
can you guys direct me to some sites with cool/fun builds for this game? I didnt play it much back in the day because I keep getting crashes all the time and such. Thanks.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
can you guys direct me to some sites with cool/fun builds for this game? I didnt play it much back in the day because I keep getting crashes all the time and such. Thanks.

Just pick a class which seems interesting and go for it. There are 3 respecs so u can try stuff out

copebot

Learned
https://d2.maxroll.gg/category/guides has tons of builds along with level by level guides. It's not necessary to use them. Most of the starter builds suggest respeccing at level 24, so for normal even the 'optimal' thing to do is basically "pick a skill you like and use it" and even on HC you will be completely fine.

Generic-Giant-Spider

If you like using magic, pick a Sorceress and do Lightning/Cold.

If you like melee, pick a Paladin and go Zeal/Fanaticism.

If you like to be the cameraman, pick a Necromancer and focus on Summoning.

Generic-Giant-Spider

... what about fluffer, druid?

Druid is what you play when you spend too much time reading about fun diverse build ideas without the fine print many guides should have by law which state something like, "you may not be as good as ___, BUT!"

Generic-Giant-Spider

You know what really helps make D1/D2 stand out over all its wannabes? You actually know and remember the enemies.

When is the last time you played a game like this and actually paid much attention to what you're blitzing through? Seriously, they all become a big dense cluster of random shit that falls down and dispenses treasure. There's nothing that really makes them stand out, they may as well just be a different skin of the same monster.

D1/D2 are the only games which I can remember that has people talk about the monsters and not just some rare pack that spawned with hideously stupid mods. In D1 you remember those fucking goatmen archers, succubi, advocates that make you hunt them down to the end of the world or the Black Death zombies that permanently take 1 HP off you when they hit or those really retarded acid dogs that welcome you to the Caves by lobbing 50 gobs of spit at the doorway. In D2 you remember the gloams that railgun you from 3 screens away, the vipers that come in like they heard Kool-Aid was on the table, those cocksucker Oblivion Knights that give you every curse under the Haitian sun and those minotaurs that will randomly kill you once they go into their frenzy.

In the many hours I spent trying to like other games like this, I don't know a single thing about the bestiary.

Sykar

Arcane
You know what really helps make D1/D2 stand out over all its wannabes? You actually know and remember the enemies.

When is the last time you played a game like this and actually paid much attention to what you're blitzing through? Seriously, they all become a big dense cluster of random shit that falls down and dispenses treasure. There's nothing that really makes them stand out, they may as well just be a different skin of the same monster.

D1/D2 are the only games which I can remember that has people talk about the monsters and not just some rare pack that spawned with hideously stupid mods. In D1 you remember those fucking goatmen archers, succubi, advocates that make you hunt them down to the end of the world or the Black Death zombies that permanently take 1 HP off you when they hit or those really retarded acid dogs that welcome you to the Caves by lobbing 50 gobs of spit at the doorway. In D2 you remember the gloams that railgun you from 3 screens away, the vipers that come in like they heard Kool-Aid was on the table, those cocksucker Oblivion Knights that give you every curse under the Haitian sun and those minotaurs that will randomly kill you once they go into their frenzy.

In the many hours I spent trying to like other games like this, I don't know a single thing about the bestiary.

You forgot those ugly arachnids in act 3. Now why is that I wonder....

:troll:

abija

Prophet

Pretty much every decent game in the genre if you actually played it a bit fits that category... This is the gaming equivalent of comfort food, why the need to make it something special?

Reina

Arcane
Pretty much every decent game in the genre if you actually played it a bit fits that category... This is the gaming equivalent of comfort food, why the need to make it something special?

No, Spider might be onto something. I played and enjoyed PoE, Torchlight and some other ARPGs a lot, but barely remember any enemies from those games - while D2 has some really, really memorable monsters.

Anyway, I caved in and bought the remake yesterday, and so far (light sorc) I'm having fun. The graphics overhaul is really, really fantastic. I can forgive Amazon's square jaw when monsters and their animations are smooth and crisp. Things I don't like are more related to game balance of later patches - I spent 90% of my previous D2 experience in 1.09, and power creep since then is noticeable even in first act. As far as remake goes though, it's excellent work.

I wonder if my favourite mods will be proted on. I was never big on Median, but I remember spending a lot of time having a blast playing one called "Eastern Sun". Might have to look if there's still some community for it.

Shadenuat

Arcane
There are particular rules to playing necro, at least early game.
Either you max TEETH and fill the screen with many little... teeth, or you max SKELETONS, all of them, and then revs and lag your team as much as possible (maybe max teeth and sumons?). Actually now with new grafix it might be possible maybe, although not as good as when people had only pentium something and 200 ram.

In 1.09 you can use Arm of King Leoric to raise both skeletons to 39 or so, thus running around 80 skelies and extra revives for 120 total minions +golem +merc.
I think, as I only so far managed to get around 40 skeletons total (my necro is level 40ish, although I did get Leoric from meph with my druid).

They are all, of course, utterly useless except maybe Players 1 cowruns or something.
...on Normal.

Druid let's you be a worse barb or a worse sorc, woooow
It's worse than sorc, sure, because Druid windy spells are ultimately just unfun to use (fucking melee tornados), but definitely better than barb and, my guess current Druid as a fighter is better than Barbarian in every way. Wolf form provide similar benefits to Frenzy, but earlier and easier, and you could try and get into Rabies, Fireclaws and/or Bear. 10-15 Dire Wolves + 20 Grizzly is enough for get a pet that is viable even on Hell. And you have Oak/Wolverine to choose from (for SSF, better go Wolverine).
Bear is very SLOW AND PURPOSEFUL, but even there, Shock Wave just makes some things (Baal minions) utterly trivial.
The only unique thing left for barb is shouting at corpses.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

Sometimes I take a look at someone's avatar and my spider-sense begins to tingle to tell me this is one dumb motherfucker I'm about to engage with and should highly reconsider opening any sort of dimension to this dipshit. You are one of these someone's, abija.

Never try that again, chico.

Shadenuat

Arcane
459fxd2.png

Figuring out Kicksin in 1.09

Boots did nothing for kick damage back then, but both STR and DEX are added to kicks, meaning your character building is flipped on its head, as all items need to provide these stats boosts and maybe skillers and stuff.
This means that items that look odd turn out to be great. In our hand we're using Skewer of Krintiz, a 1-handed scimitar with +20 total stats, which is v. fast and thus allows quick tiger strike grabbing. Tancred Spine and amulet gives +15 str and +78% MF, and Sanders boots 40FR and 15 stats. Shield is just old druids diamond shield.
I kinda wonder if socketed magic armor with p amethysts/emeralds would be good here (finally a reason to collect amethysts).

All this kicking is new to me but gameplay is p exciting because you kick things.

Crushing blow/open wounds are obviously better for bosses but trying to just get higher number is cool. You cloak of shadows and then kick Gloams in the tentacles.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane

Every PoE player remembers rhoas, porcupines, leaping goatmen, goatmen shamans, Vaal constructs, Baran fanatics, Legion spear throwers...

Reever

Scholar
Patron
Every PoE player remembers rhoas, porcupines, leaping goatmen, goatmen shamans, Vaal constructs, Baran fanatics, Legion spear throwers...
and the act 3 monsters that shoot projectiles out of their tiddies.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Huh, yeah, last time I played D2 was 2001, at worst 2002.

Same with me. It's oddly disorienting being more and more unsure as I go whether I'm running into something I'd forgotten in the last 20 years or something that was patched in way after I'd quit playing.
Same. By 2005 I had switched Diablo 2 for WoW, which makes it extra fucking confusing.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Nigga no one even remembers what the fuck the currency does in PoE half the time lmao

Ain't nobody burning the forums down over PORCUPINES nigga

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
If you like using magic, pick a Sorceress and do Lightning/Cold.

If you like melee, pick a Paladin and go Zeal/Fanaticism.

If you like as less button mashing as possible, you pick?...

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom