Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 2: Resurrected remaster

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Why are there Asmogold fanboys? I honestly couldn't watch much of stringbean blabbing on anything tbh, then again WoW and most MMOs bore the fuck out of me.
asmongold-diablo-2-resurrected-boring-1248x702.jpeg

Asmogold on D2 Remaster

He always looks like he's about to die in a prison camp. Does he have some sort of medical issue?

Last edited:

Learned
Played only D2 this week. Legacy, not resurrected. Even with ample room for improvement it's an infinitely better than D3, which feels like a mobile game accidentally released on PC and home consoles because some rich exec snorted too much cocaine and gave the wrong order to his scrawny subordinates with band shirts.

J1M

Arcane
Why are there Asmogold fanboys? I honestly couldn't watch much of stringbean blabbing on anything tbh, thrn again WoW and most MMOs bore the fuck out of me.
asmongold-diablo-2-resurrected-boring-1248x702.jpeg

Asmogold on D2 Remaster

He always looks like he's about to die in a prison camp. Does he have some sort of medical issue?
People like him because he says what they are thinking and they get to see thousands of people agree. It is a proxy that validates their opinions.

Codex Year of the Donut
But I also believe IF you decide to go there then do it FF7 style. Don't fucking take a 60 year old woman and stick her with a few botox needles, which is what SC1R or D2R are. Be bold, be creative, do your own thing and fuck "veterans" and nostalgiafaggots. Let them play the OGs till they die and let us enjoy new shit.
I consider the FF7 remake to be one of if not the greatest video game remakes in existence.
The entire idea of it was a big middle finger to people who wanted the same game except with new graphics. It wasn't merely just a new take on the story, they actively shit on the people who just wanted the same story again.
It's one of the few times I'd describe a video game as brilliant.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
But I also believe IF you decide to go there then do it FF7 style. Don't fucking take a 60 year old woman and stick her with a few botox needles, which is what SC1R or D2R are. Be bold, be creative, do your own thing and fuck "veterans" and nostalgiafaggots. Let them play the OGs till they die and let us enjoy new shit.
I consider the FF7 remake to be one of if not the greatest video game remakes in existence.
The entire idea of it was a big middle finger to people who wanted the same game except with new graphics. It wasn't merely just a new take on the story, they actively shit on the people who just wanted the same story again.
The PC port of FF7 was my first Jap game I ever played back in early 2000s and it blew my mind. Huge respect for not going the SC1/D22/Demon's Souls route with their remake, risking an avalanche of neckbeard rage. Looking fwd to playing this on PC.

Deflowerer

Arcane

What? Almost every scene and character in that game is padded out to hell and back in the name of crass fan service.

Shadenuat

Arcane
o2qX3JF.jpg

m75ffTj.png

1.09 druid suffering ends, things don't look so bad as before (and things are bad for druid in 1.9 in general, I think 99% of skill tree sucks including windy)

Lazy Woff Durance:
PDSR3DB.jpg

As per 1.10, Blizz made Durance huge and labyrinthian for reasons. So, you know, no of these silly no-sorc characters. before, map sized on higher difficulties did not vary from normal maps.

And that's how I got Ravenfrost :shittydog:

But, that one is nothing. More importantly, I got https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/The_Jade_Tan_Do
And you know what every D2 player does when they get Tan Do and have modded shared stash :Mnow just to socket it with perfect Emerald :shittydog:
lol got Spineripper too, I guess we're serious about getting a full dagger set.

Last edited:
So far I've played a summon necromancer up to Act 2 Nightmare and a blizzard sorceress up to late Act 1 nightmare Act 2 Nightmare. Personally, I think this remaster is near perfect, and after years and years of disappointing sequels to many games I loved, it actually feels a bit surreal to have one of my favourite games - that actually got one of the most disappointing sequels - get a remaster that's so good. Very little has been changed. There's a bit of stuff here and there that feels like censorship - they seem to have made Baal's voice in the cutscene have less of an accent, for example, and Succubi look like they had their skin covered a bit more - but other than that everything's been recreated extremely faithfully, and where detail has been added (often to sparser environments like the catacombs or sewers) it feels similar enough that I actually had to swap graphics and check if it was really new. A lot of the time where detail has been added, the aspect of the original is preserved, ie where there was a wall segment with a particular blood stain, now there might be a wall segment with a shelf and some books and a shield hanging on the wall, and a similar blood stain.

I'm glad that they abstained from going too hard on convenience changes. There are some that I've noticed, and most of them felt like little technical fixes (like the lobby being able to view previous difficulties, or killing the Cow King not breaking access to the Secret Cow Level); the only change I'd consider major is the addition of shared storage panes (and that's something that people have been playing with via PlugY for years, so whatever, it doesn't really "feel" new). They could have gone a lot harder in convenience changes, ie perhaps remaking the lobby into something with a less clunky/dense layout, or adding some way to get runes back out of an item. I'm glad they didn't - these things make the game what it is and it could have led to a slippery slope of changes, into something that was more like a remake than a remaster. The game as it is now feels just like the Diablo 2 I remember, and that's exactly what I wanted.

More companies should take note of this... I buy new games very rarely now but I was happy to buy Diablo 2 again - conversely, I never paid for Diablo 3 after trying the beta, and never will. There are a lot of older games that, just like Diablo 2, were perfect in terms of gameplay, atmosphere, art direction, etc, where it's clear that no modern studio can make a game that's better in those regards, only better in terms of graphical quality, and it would make a lot of sense to make faithful, close remasters of those games. I would happily buy remasters of Thief 1 and 2 if they were of this calibre, as an example.

Anyways. With regards to things that are not remaster-specific, ie balance patches, it feels like they might have tweaked drop rates to be a little bit higher, especially runes. I could swear that in the past I didn't get this many runes. No HRs yet, but it just feels like there's more of an abundance. I also got Magefist on my normal mode Baal superdrop, which feels awfully convenient - but then, Magefist isn't super high end either. Will see how the drops feel once I get to Hell Baal and do some farming there.

Overall verdict 10/10, this is what every remaster should be, and this is what Diablo 3 should have been like.

Edit: Insight is a fucking godsend.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
o2qX3JF.jpg

m75ffTj.png

1.09 druid suffering ends, things don't look so bad as before (and things are bad for druid in 1.9 in general, I think 99% of skill tree sucks including windy)

Lazy Woff Durance:
PDSR3DB.jpg

As per 1.10, Blizz made Durance huge and labyrinthian for reasons. So, you know, no of these silly no-sorc characters. before, map sized on higher difficulties did not vary from normal maps.

And that's how I got Ravenfrost :shittydog:

But, that one is nothing. More importantly, I got https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/The_Jade_Tan_Do
And you know what every D2 player does when they get Tan Do and have modded shared stash :Mnow just to socket it with perfect Emerald :shittydog:
lol got Spineripper too, I guess we're serious about getting a full dagger set.
Watch a video from that D2 speedrunner dude (Mr Lama ?!), he explains how maps work and how you can easily find exits to next levels.

Zlaja

Arcane
and mage is that dude in Arcane Sanctuary throwing fireballs at you

I fought this sucker a few days ago on Nightmare with my defensive minded concetrator barb, and he went down in 2 sec. And, I'm not even using a two-hander. What a soyboy he degenerated into.

The game is ruined by the awful structure of those corridor-style levels, endless running back & forth, and those garbage side-quests they put in to pad the game out. And, don't even get me started on those COUNTLESS mandatory slow-walk sequences, where you're forced to follow a character around while they yap endlessly. Made it a real chore to bother finishing the game.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
They were just devs who wanted to make cool games and put whatever they thought was cool into games.

Yeah, sure - for D1 it's true. not so much for D2, where they did a lot of shit - negro/moore paladin, my ass.

Except, for the thousandth time, he is not a negro in any of the released character art, box art, manual art, or the game itself.

Thanks, I had no idea about that lol.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Also - didn't they change immunities so you can now pirce them with Cold Mastery, if it high enough?

Also - why everyone play with Blizzard? I rememebr for sure the Frosen Orb was far superior - on Hell, you will simply die befoe shit shit fall from cailing to floor, while FO allow to immediately freeze all dangerous mobs.

kinzadza

Scholar
FO damage in Hell is shit. Blizzard is much stronger lategame because of synergy bonuses.

Also i believe you could pierce immunity in the old version as well, dunno what's the fuss about, as it's worthless.

Also i believe you could pierce immunity in the old version as well, dunno what's the fuss about, as it's worthless.

IIRC previously only Conviction, Amp Damage, and Lower Resist could break it, so you needed either Infinity or a Paladin or Necromancer in your party, now you can do it yourself without a really expensive runeword, theoretically. Personally, with only a couple points invested in it and no +skills, I'm not dealing discernable damage to relevant immunes, but maybe it's better when you crank it up higher. I'll know when I've levelled up some more.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
O damage in Hell is shit. Blizzard is much stronger lategame because of synergy bonuses.

I clearly rememebr that Blizzard was shit - too slow, on Hell there a ton of quick mobs, that will skin you alive before first ice piece hit the floor.
Damage doesn't matter if you get hit.

kinzadza

Scholar
O damage in Hell is shit. Blizzard is much stronger lategame because of synergy bonuses.

I clearly rememebr that Blizzard was shit - too slow, on Hell there a ton of quick mobs, that will skin you alive before first ice piece hit the floor.

I went thru Hell with pure blizz sorc + geared up merc with holy freeze aura. Anything that was not cold immune died in max 2 seconds. Blizzard has insane damage, it's why cold immunity is the most common in Hell.

typical user

Arbiter

Probably because Undead Rogues are immune to Cold or you've played earlier patch or your Merc was shit at holding them back.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Are all the old ladder-only runewords, cube recipes etc available in all modes forever or only until ladder starts?

Also anyone else annoyed that Cain no longer automatically identifies items in the cube?

Shadenuat

Arcane
Also, how they changed Frosen Orb after relese? Was it more damaging back then?
The monsters were weaker.

Introduction of LoD meant new powerful gear, so they buffed the monsters, especially introduction of Physical Immunes (aka fuck u fightas without elemental weapons) and even immune bosses (Cold immune NM Duriel hoho). But no synergies meant you were relying a lot on gear, and you could run more skills. A 3-element sorceress was possible.
They then introduced synergies. But if you stack all synergies, monsters die instantly, so need to buff the monsters. But that means skills that aren't so good with synergies eat dik.
So they buffed monsters again. If 1-3k damage was ok in 1.9 (I think), now have ice sorc doing ~10k damage is about routine and ~20k is possible for Blizzard I think (I don't play sorcs).
And then new runewords, including those that stack skills from other classes (bo, auras) were added, making most things that can be runeword obsolete (hey at least you have a choice of what boots to wear eh?).

This cycle eventually became a major feature of PoE btw: introduce some new way to tweak a character, buff monsters, introduce new boss, DPS in millions, etc.

Which is why, I play 1.09. Some runewords are ok but they don't replace Windforce.

I think it was always a major feature of Diablo 1&2 to an extent - your achievements do not get obsolete with time. So you just play for fun without caring about any metafaggotry.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom