Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 2: Resurrected remaster

ArchAngel

Arcane
Before you curse Kruno, wait for the first Blizzard patches that fiddle with balance.
They should have fiddled with it from release. Base game (by that I mean LoD+last patch) has terrible balance. There is a good reason why Path of Diablo and similar things were so popular.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

They used their "NO CHANGES" fanbase to excuse their laziness with this remaster. If you played LoD before, this remaster is a very expensive graphical update with shittier lobbies.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
They used their "NO CHANGES" fanbase to excuse their laziness with this remaster. If you played LoD before, this remaster is a very expensive graphical update with shittier lobbies.
Yeah, if they made changes the entire planet would split asunder with a thousand soyhowls from neckbeard veterans. Vice versa, expensive graphical updates are widely lauded and venerated, like the Starcraft remaster was. Blizz simply learned their lesson.

I generally hate remakes and remasters. The Stacraft 1 remaster is the stupidest fucking thing I've ever seen, the "changes are eebul" type of nostalgiafags should be doused in sulphuric acid coz they're cancer on the industry.

But I also believe IF you decide to go there then do it FF7 style. Don't fucking take a 60 year old woman and stick her with a few botox needles, which is what SC1R or D2R are. Be bold, be creative, do your own thing and fuck "veterans" and nostalgiafaggots. Let them play the OGs till they die and let us enjoy new shit.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Rogue hireling shows most of her ass cheek and upper leg in the original, the remaster barely shows a little skin on her upper leg.
I disagree. If you compare the color on her arm and the lower body it's clear that one is pink and one is white (ie presumably cloth). At least that's what it looks like to me. Possibly old rogue is showing more skin on the upper body though.

Sykar

Arcane
Wrong. Diablo was always a very revealing game, especially the first title and the Rogue hireling is directly copied from the Rogue from the first game:
f6892d82bef07d0456f2c6a708127502.png

latest

There is no cloth covering the legs, at all in the base model. Likewise the outfit in the manual artwork is as skimpy as possible for the times in which D1 was made.

Likewise the succubi for example where much more humanlike in the first game:
D1-mon-succubi.jpg

Diablo 2:
Succubus_%28Diablo_II%29.gif

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Likewise the succubi for example where much more humanlike in the first game:
D1-mon-succubi.jpg

Yeah the graphical Decline happened from 1 to 2 already. Technically it was better but stylistically? Not at all.

But clearly it's great that the demons of Hell have some Modesty, how nice of them.

Don't buy this trash, there are better Mods for D2 out there.

Zeriel

Arcane

Honestly some of it is worse. The lobby/bnet system is TERRIBLE, it's a huge downgrade and just seems amateurish overall. Setting aside lack of open b.net and tcp/ip because muh modern piracy measures or whatever, the interface is so bad and thrown together at the last minute that there is no official way to select your server cluster. There is some weird hack where you can put gs # in your game notes to supposedly make it use a certain server cluster, but I'm not sure that's even working.

After several fails of this magnitude in a row I'm starting to think they literally have no one left at Blizzard who even knows how to code a basic interface functionality on their old games.

Peachcurl

Cipher
They should have fiddled with it from release. Base game (by that I mean LoD+last patch) has terrible balance. There is a good reason why Path of Diablo and similar things were so popular.

Depends on how you look at it. The state the base game is in is due to official changes afterall. Even if those are a few years back. ;)

Perkel

Arcane
Going how eveything is 3D and how game is moddable someone for sure will make nude mods in no time for you guys as well as "original graphics" mods restoring whatever blizzard changed in art design.

On other hand because now all things are 3D this means that mods can import assets to game making new maps, monsters, weapons and so on.

I've read that thread on d2 keep. Basically game comes with mod support from day1 with interface for them so no need for mod manager either (outside of extra configs, playlists etc).

You put mods into D2R/mods/modname and -mod in shortcut. Not only you can esily play mods like this but characters get devided between mods so you can keep your vanilla characters. so you can make shortcut vanilla, d2r numod, d2r classic etc and fire each with their own character pool separate.

sounds normal for people who used to mod D2 but that was all done via third party tools now it is included by developers themselves.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Wrong. Diablo was always a very revealing game, especially the first title and the Rogue hireling is directly copied from the Rogue from the first game:
f6892d82bef07d0456f2c6a708127502.png

latest

There is no cloth covering the legs, at all in the base model. Likewise the outfit in the manual artwork is as skimpy as possible for the times in which D1 was made.
I concede the point, was thrown off by the lighting.

Perkel

Arcane
Wrong. Diablo was always a very revealing game, especially the first title and the Rogue hireling is directly copied from the Rogue from the first game

Because they are Rogues the same from which D1 Rogue came from. The first "boss" you fight Blood Raven is actual Rogue which you played in D1. Warrior became Diablo and mage is that dude in Arcane Sanctuary throwing fireballs at you.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Honestly some of it is worse. The lobby/bnet system is TERRIBLE

Absolutely, speedrunner I have watched said he buried already a couple of HC chars due lags and not going to play HC untill lags will be gone - which will happen not when Blizzs install new servers - they wont - but when most playr will leav the game, hehe.
Also, lobby is bugged ahah, if you create game and then lvl up a bit with 8 ppl, if someone of them leave game, he wont be able to join again cause his char lvl is higher than it was when game was created.
And yeah - D1 is most inclined, while D2 while was a better GAME, completely lost all style and atmosphere that made D1 to be so good game.
Actually, you could see SJWism right there, in D2 - if first one take place in pseudo-christian medieval setting, where Sorcerer is a sort of moor, which reference to Middle/near East arabian mistics/occultists, as real Christian can't practice magic. It was nothing that intricate if to think a bit, warrior was a man, rogue type - women (also initial inclusivity is here), sorcerer - the moor.
D2 is a "eclectic" - read tasteless - hodgepodge of everything, with nergo - but maybe it was moore again? - paladin (that mean he is a muslim), sorcerer is some women, barbarian is some stupid like log white dude, or another white dude who is basically necrophile, with bullshit like "amazon" which is one of myth used by feminists today. Art was simply awful, graffix worse then in D1.
I was dissapointed by D2 when it was released.

After several fails of this magnitude in a row I'm starting to think they literally have no one left at Blizzard who even knows how to code a basic interface functionality on their old games.

Divercity hires man.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Also, what are you talking about balance and such?
D2 is very simplistic game, everything obvious from the start.

Shadenuat

Arcane
D2 is a "eclectic" - read tasteless - hodgepodge of everything, with nergo - but maybe it was moore again?
Heh.

And in reality, it's just an insert of a black guy who did all this art you liked so much, a Blizzard employe. I think he also drawn all the rogues with tits and legs (not sure), and he was added to the game as Paladin (or just made black Pal).
Same as developers added themselves in Fallout and whatever.
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d3/t/a-bunch-of-art-from-the-diablo-2-character-artists/35871
he also made models of Cain, fallen and angry midgets.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I mean, skill trees are very obvious and nothing complicated.
I think it took me a month to get Sorc to 93, now it's barely a weak of lazy play.

And in reality, it's just an insert of a black guy who did all this art you liked so much, a Blizzard employe.

The roots of decline...

Shadenuat

Arcane
You are a decline.

They were just devs who wanted to make cool games and put whatever they thought was cool into games. And you now dig into this all searching for political agenda lol.

D2 is very simplistic game, everything obvious
So simple that nobody including its own studio still can make a better one, to the point that they decided to just update grafix on a 20 yo game instead.

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
That's true but the cohesion suffered nonetheless. The reasons aren't that relevant as time passed. Cool stuff is one thing but questionable out-of-place themes were inserted. Just ask Lyric Suite

Anyway, now they have some fucking comissar(s) who are cutting "non-cool" stuff out. What a mess.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I think a lot of it is somewhat make-belief. Just look at D1 art https://www.purediablo.com/forums/media/rogue-concept-art.14385/
and then I remember roman helmets and japanese laminar in game.
While some of it has gothic and demonic, a lot is same art you'd easily find in early Warcraft. Big pauldrons, neked rogue chicks, etc. I doubt they ever thought about moors lol.
It draws from common fantasy of the time, and also probably from Blizzard interest in Warhammer (which actually did draw from real history, like Empire = HRE), which they wanted to use for their games. It is not historical; "Inquisitor" diablo-clone actually is, for example.

D2 does have plains-desert-jungle-snow going on though. But if Diablo 1 was massive full scale RPG, we might have seen it there too.

Perkel

Arcane
Honestly some of it is worse. The lobby/bnet system is TERRIBLE, it's a huge downgrade and just seems amateurish overall. Setting aside lack of open b.net and tcp/ip because muh modern piracy measures or whatever, the interface is so bad and thrown together at the last minute that there is no official way to select your server cluster. There is some weird hack where you can put gs # in your game notes to supposedly make it use a certain server cluster, but I'm not sure that's even working.

Is it my alzheimer or this is just upgraded graphics original BN ? I don't remember in original choosing servers etc. It works pretty much the same as old one. You pick name for game create game and then tell your friends which game to join. + there are open games made by people with names suggesting what this is about.

Also actual gameplay was upgraded massively. Original D2 was laways laggy mess via bn and this time desync rarely happens while hit reaction is pretty dead on. It is not POE lockstep mode but definitely upgrade over original.

Thal

Augur
Also actual gameplay was upgraded massively. Original D2 was laways laggy mess via bn and this time desync rarely happens while hit reaction is pretty dead on. It is not POE lockstep mode but definitely upgrade over original.

I remember those lags back in the day, when you kept walking, while all enemies disappeared and then you just exploded in the middle of bone fetish pack.

Anyway, I tested pure Blizz sorc, and while it could easily solo NM (as can everyone else), Hell was a massive pain in the ass. You can't break those immunities in Hell. Moreover, I discovered that pretty much everyone else had the same idea. It hasn't been uncommon to play with a full party of cold sorcs with hilariously tragic results. So I respeced to Meteorb and now I'm ready to kill Diablo.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Finally getting around to playing this and the censoring is pretty universal. For example, even random NPCs/hirelings are not exempt. Compare Act 1 hirelings:

It does make me wonder about how you end up with such consistent vandalism. Is there a memo from a higher-up somewhere saying, "COVER ALL THE WOMEN, NO SKIN ALLOWED" or is everyone at Blizzard/Vicarious just so progressive that they do it without any discussion needed?

There's skin in the right hand pic? How can you tell?

Personally I do not care all that much about exposed skin but it is clear that Blizzderp has covered up a lot up, pun intented. Either you are blind or disingenuous but I will humour you. Just take a look at the legs, Rogue hireling shows most of her ass cheek and upper leg in the original, the remaster barely shows a little skin on her upper leg.
The sorceress has most of her leg bare and her skirt is really short front and back. Remaster covers a lot, especially on the back side.

Regarding this topic, I remember when Diablo 4 was announced. When they show some material about it, you can feel the struggle around Lilith's design, between each artist portraying her in a different way. Some making her more attractive (She's a succubus after all), some trying to eliminate all erotism about her and trying to make her look "scary". Lol, they even hired a cosplay girl to dress as her, and was a slutty one.

Zeriel

Arcane
Finally getting around to playing this and the censoring is pretty universal. For example, even random NPCs/hirelings are not exempt. Compare Act 1 hirelings:

It does make me wonder about how you end up with such consistent vandalism. Is there a memo from a higher-up somewhere saying, "COVER ALL THE WOMEN, NO SKIN ALLOWED" or is everyone at Blizzard/Vicarious just so progressive that they do it without any discussion needed?

There's skin in the right hand pic? How can you tell?

Personally I do not care all that much about exposed skin but it is clear that Blizzderp has covered up a lot up, pun intented. Either you are blind or disingenuous but I will humour you. Just take a look at the legs, Rogue hireling shows most of her ass cheek and upper leg in the original, the remaster barely shows a little skin on her upper leg.
The sorceress has most of her leg bare and her skirt is really short front and back. Remaster covers a lot, especially on the back side.

Regarding this topic, I remember when Diablo 4 was announced. When they show some material about it, you can feel the struggle around Lilith's design, between each artist portraying her in a different way. Some making her more attractive (She's a succubus after all), some trying to eliminate all erotism about her and trying to make her look "scary". Lol, they even hired a cosplay girl to dress as her, and was a slutty one.

Yeah, it's pretty clear they are not comfortable now making anything remotely mature except blood and guts, and even that I imagine they want to steer away from being too explicit. And this was all before the sexual harassment blowup, they are going to be even more woke now than before to make up for that. Blizzard is no longer even in the "maybe they will make dumb action games that are fun for being dumb action games" category, they are fully in the, "Nothing new they create will be even remotely decent" category for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom