Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 2: Resurrected remaster

NerevarineKing

Learned
Diablo 1 and 2's sound design, music, combat, atmosphere, and visuals are timeless.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Are people still playing this game? Weird.

It's a great game, why wouldn't they? The loot grind is timeless, the itemization is still umatched in this genre, and the game has an overall great presentation. It's pure kino. And it also doesn't suffer from the speed clear aids that games like Path of Exile sadly introduced to the genre.

All of this. D1/D2 are something special to this day. They're also perfect games to fuck around in for an hour or two, good time killers.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
I don't think I ever got to Duriel with it.

Clay golem + Iron Maiden is the best combo in normal.
Complete and utter BS. Only melee attackers are affected by the curse, and the golem is a single attacker. Putting points into Skeletons will invariable yield a way higher DPS, especially coupled with AMP/CE at 1 and a few +skill items, of which the wands are easy to come by.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't think I ever got to Duriel with it.

Clay golem + Iron Maiden is the best combo in normal.
Complete and utter BS. Only melee attackers are affected by the curse, and the golem is a single attacker. Putting points into Skeletons will invariable yield a way higher DPS, especially coupled with AMP/CE at 1 and a few +skill items, of which the wands are easy to come by.
He means clay golem + Iron Maiden is the best combo to beat Duriel on normal. And he's correct. If you want to power through normal, however, a teeth build is optimal (you still need clay golem + iron maiden for bosses like Duriel, though).

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Oh. Missed that part of the quote. Yeah, vs a single high-dmg attacker that combo is surely good.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Diablo 1 and 2's sound design, music, combat, atmosphere, and visuals are timeless.
I suppose I got spoiled by many features of nowadays diablo-likes. Coming back to Diablo 2 Resurrection felt like coming back to a barren land with an occasional tree that used to feel like a forest. It's not for me anymore :(
That being said, I must also agree with you. If only for the fact we used to play the original for hundreds of hours and had lots of fun.

Last edited:
The new 'Classic Mode' options in the new patch are a marked improvement over the godawful Classic mode from before. Might even allow me to play an amazon again, since I can't look at the awful linebacker manazon trudging around they introduced into Resurrected. Although I wish they would just go the whole nine yards and extend the viewport to widescreen, if you don't play the game with the new facelift you can't see as much of field.

Was not planning on buying Resurrected, but my sibling twisted my arm and we had a lot of fun playing online. I'm looking forward to the Ladder in a few weeks, first time I'll have ever played Ladder in D2. Will probably start the league with a trapsin despite the fact my current trapsin does a little less damage since they removed the synergy between lighting sentry and corpse explosion traps. Also would like to get a paladin in fighting shape and use him exclusively for farming Travincal.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Perhaps you disagree, but that is a fact Sykar

Firewall/Blizz has been a very common build ever since they introduced synergies (in 2003)

People like it because you are left with a lot of spare points as Firewall is super effective vs CI by itself + 1-5 pts in Fire Mastery

They added some new synergies with Find Potion / Find Item that makes a barb horker feel way too powerful to ignore when it comes to finding high runes.

Will start the league off as planned dual-boxing as a trapsin to get to Hell and with a horker barb hitched to my wagon. Ultimate goal is to have a strong character who can clean up Travincal quickly and then have the barb run in and yell at corpses

Haven't played at all since 2.4 dropped, was waiting for the ladder to restart. Maybe I'll respec the trapsin into a martial arts assassin or a bladesin to farm Trav with? I haven't messed around much with either but we'll see how it goes. Could also just go with the bandwagon and run a Fist of Heavens paladin for starters but I'm not super familiar with the class or the most efficient ways to gear them and level them without twinking.

Cerulean

Cipher
I finally made it to WSK Hell, on Hardcore. Playing a Fishymancer with pretty good gear, but no super-high-end drops yet. My resists are at 75%, 9 skellies, 3 mages, 12 revives, and plenty of dim vision. So far so good.

But, I read some advice that if you're in WSK Hell, as soon as you see a Burning Soul or a Stygian Doll, fucking LEAVE ASAP, then start a new game. Makes sense since they could kill me in one or two shots. But every time I re-start, once I get back to WSK level 2 (to get that last way-point), I see Burning Souls again. So I bail, three times in a row so far.

My question is, are they always in that area, and I just need to by hyper-careful, or is it just a matter of re-starting again, so I can fight mobs that aren't so insanely dangerous?

Generic-Giant-Spider

Act V on higher difficulties mixes in enemies from previous acts at random. For WSK only three enemy types can spawn each floor so if you see Stygians or Burning Souls it's better to just restart the whole thing if on Hardcore. It's why I don't like to do Baal runs on melee characters (until Enigma) since you have to deal with minotaur demons and succubi who can also be real cunts.

This also rings true if you're doing Durance of Hate Level 2. You ideally want Brutes/Zombies/Dark Lords as opposed to Stygian Dolls.

Last edited by a moderator:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
So fellas which classes do you think ended up badly animated compared to the original? Amazon is a little stiff. And which are well animated according to you

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
So fellas which classes do you think ended up badly animated compared to the original? Amazon is a little stiff. And which are well animated according to you
They all look worse than the original. It's like a bad dream.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet

Played only with necromancer both in original version and the new one.

In the original the necro looked like a badass palefaced albino dude.

In the new version he looks like a constipated bug-eyed gramps with hyperthyreosis.

Oh and the bone helm now doesnt cover the entire face, with further makes the character look even more grotesque. :/

Played only with necromancer both in original version and the new one.

In the original the necro looked like a badass palefaced albino dude.

In the new version he looks like a constipated bug-eyed gramps with hyperthyreosis.

Oh and the bone helm now doesnt cover the entire face, with further makes the character look even more grotesque. :/

Assassin's animations also look janky. Legacy graphics her sprint is basically a naruto run- when you get enough faster run/walk it feels like you're playing as a heat-seeking missile and everything from how far she leans forward to how her arms swing looks great. Resurrected's running animation just doesn't capture the same sense of agility.

I think the level geometry and monsters look great in resurrected, but all of the characters look so much worse and your equipment is too literal to the inventory sprites. It's especially apparent with staves and wands- my assassins's teleport staff is obsidian with a dark purple orb in legacy (looks fucking awesome) but in remastered mode it's a brown piece of wood.

I find myself flipping back to legacy graphics often just because my characters look so much cooler:

vQQ1dTH.png

Ki35CiP.png

Pictured above is a paladin whose armor shines like he's the goddamn titan of ether or something, pictured below is copy/paste from the inventory screen.

I still keep playing cause I love Diablo 1 and 2. I've been having a good time on the ladder. Will probably try PD2 one of these days.

In other news FOHdin is fun as shit, never really played a paladin much but I can see why a lot of people make them as ladder starters. Exploding a wing of the Chaos Sanctuary with holy explosions is amazingly satisfying. Only problem is you are basically useless against animal creatures and human creatures- and you don't really notice how many of those there are until you can't do damage to them. I've shamefully had to flee from yetis, minotaurs and even fucking birds. I've since specced into blessed hammer as a backup attack, but jesus it's unfun to use and I can't believe people have suffered through playing them for 20-something years.

Also trip report, these boots are the best item that have ever dropped for me in this game. I wonder if it's not the kind of drop where someone might be willing to pay money-dollars:

TIpRooC.png

Sykar

Arcane
Perhaps you disagree, but that is a fact Sykar

Firewall/Blizz has been a very common build ever since they introduced synergies (in 2003)

People like it because you are left with a lot of spare points as Firewall is super effective vs CI by itself + 1-5 pts in Fire Mastery

In my 5-6 years of D2 HC from 2000-2006 Firewall was a rare skill to see in public games. It was mainly used to do easily farm Mephisto and rarely in other content even in Bhaalruns it was a rarely seen skill. Otherwise the skill requres a very strong Mercenary to hold the enemies long enough because if they run just through it its damage is abysmal.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Those boots are definitely worth a lot, especially if it's on ladder. If it had 24fhr they'd be nearly best possible boots you could get. The mf is probably not counted as valuable though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom