Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 2: Resurrected remaster

Ippolit

Scholar
Patron
RPG Wokedex Bubbles In Memoria Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hey anyone know where to find cube recipes for 1.05b and 1.09b?

Here are all recipes for the horadric cube, iirc the only thing that has been changed in 1.10 is the amount of sockets for that recipe: 3 Flawless Gems + 1 Magic Weapon = Socketed Magic Weapon

In 1.09 it always added 3 sockets.

If you understand german, this site gathers a lot of information (pre 1.10-version): http://d2wissen.d2chars.de/items/wuerfel.html

And i really recommend this site: http://www.mannm.org/d2library/faqtoids/faqtoids_eng.html (english and german).

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
so wtf i heard they are going to rework most skills

im not opposed, just surprised... but since this game failed let them try i guess

new decision apparently since microsoft acquired them

The skills should have been reworked a long time ago. The synergy crap changed almost nothing in terms of balance between skills, it just made most strong skills even stronger. A handful of weak skills became maybe competetive but stuff like Blaze? Pfff. Even skills like Hydra and Fire Wall were not all that impressive. Hell Fire Wall was super popular in Classic but no one plays with it anymore.

Cael

Arcane
The entire Fire branch suffered from the fact that early mobs that had resistances tended to be fireproof. That made it less attractive. Lightning was also too much of a RNG crapshoot. That left Cold as the only real alternative.

Sykar

Arcane
Well cold also had the only mastery reducing enemy resistance which was the most effective way of increasing your damage by far. Lightning gets good when you find a Griffon's Eye which is super rare. Fire has neither such a good unique, Eschuta's sucks in comparison to it, or passive. But yeah already act 4 normal CS was no fun with fire. Also applied to a DT Kicksin and fire druid.
Still the balance between skills was the real problem which was never adressed by the synerderps. All it did was just escalate numbers even further.

i mean covering of amazons ass and andariels tits, etc.
If at least they would have adressed gameplay and balance issues...

Cael

Arcane
Griffon's is superb, but the biggest problem with Lightning is the 1-x damage regime. Whatever your multiplier is, it is still 1 when you roll it. The only reason to take Lightning is because you'd want to have invest in Teleport, so you already have some point sunk in there. As a contrast, Warmth doesn't have any pre-requisites.

Sykar

Arcane
Lightning has the weakest immunes which makes it mono the easiest to kill by your mercenary. Lighting is also the overall easiest immunity to break.
The 1 min damage does not bother me all that much since it also has by far the highest max damage. The different casting speed break points are more annoying.

Cael

Arcane
Is truth that bone skills are stronger? Maybe I will buy just due it.
Corpse Explosion does % damage, so by default it is the only damage skill worth the points beyond Normal difficulty for the Necro.

Sykar

Arcane
For solo maybe. The skill scales with base HP only so the HP increase in games with more players makes the effective damage noticably lower. Furthermore it is half fire damage which suffers the same problems as a any other fire user does, like fire druid, sorc and DT Kicksin, alongside the problem that it needs corpses which makes it unsuitable for several bosses since there simply are not enough corpses around to make good use of it. Duriel and Bhaal would be two prominent examples for this.
Bone skills are good under the synergy system. Spear and Spirit are both strong enough to handle most content and there are little to no resistant or immunes around. Wall and a golem also make for decent distractions, alternatively you can build up the AI curses. Decrepify is always worth consideration as well.

Cael

Arcane
For solo maybe. The skill scales with base HP only so the HP increase in games with more players makes the effective damage noticably lower. Furthermore it is half fire damage which suffers the same problems as a any other fire user does, like fire druid, sorc and DT Kicksin, alongside the problem that it needs corpses which makes it unsuitable for several bosses since there simply are not enough corpses around to make good use of it. Duriel and Bhaal would be two prominent examples for this.
Bone skills are good under the synergy system. Spear and Spirit are both strong enough to handle most content and there are little to no resistant or immunes around. Wall and a golem also make for decent distractions, alternatively you can build up the AI curses. Decrepify is always worth consideration as well.
The Necro is always a weird one for me. It relies far too much on corpses and such being available. I have never really played it much. I don't think I ever got to Duriel with it. I shudder to think how it would work against Diablo. One of that guy's fire waves and it is all over for the summoner Necro.

kinzadza

Scholar
The Necro is always a weird one for me. It relies far too much on corpses and such being available. I have never really played it much. I don't think I ever got to Duriel with it. I shudder to think how it would work against Diablo. One of that guy's fire waves and it is all over for the summoner Necro.

if you level up a bit and get 1 level of summon resist it's not a problem on normal

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I don't think I ever got to Duriel with it.

Clay golem + Iron Maiden is the best combo in normal.

But yes, necro with lots of corpses is the highest DPS in the game via corpse explosion or minions. Necro without corpses can throw bone skills.

Summon resist works well and summons don't get resist penalties from difficulty. Clay Golem + Decrepify slows bosses down to the point where they are don't attack at all or attack like once every 10 seconds.

Summon Necromancers also just in general scale better with +skills and auras than anything else in the game. 20/20 skeletons can handle normal easily, Nightmare OK, struggle through Hell, but when you slap on at least +10 skills, might, and fanaticism it's basically like putting your army on crack. They'll have health comparable or exceeding hell monsters, faster attack rate, always hit for massively more damage. At that point corpse explosion actually goes back to being optional again when hell monsters die in like 2-5 skeleton hits. And then you teleport ontop of a boss and all 13+ skeletons can attack at once while the clay golem's slow grows even more powerful.

Cael

Arcane

Summon resist works well and summons don't get resist penalties from difficulty. Clay Golem + Decrepify slows bosses down to the point where they are don't attack at all or attack like once every 10 seconds.

Summon Necromancers also just in general scale better with +skills and auras than anything else in the game. 20/20 skeletons can handle normal easily, Nightmare OK, struggle through Hell, but when you slap on at least +10 skills, might, and fanaticism it's basically like putting your army on crack. They'll have health comparable or exceeding hell monsters, faster attack rate, always hit for massively more damage. At that point corpse explosion actually goes back to being optional again when hell monsters die in like 2-5 skeleton hits. And then you teleport ontop of a boss and all 13+ skeletons can attack at once while the clay golem's slow grows even more powerful.
Does the skeletons actually get that powerful? I have seen their damage and HP gain on Normal, and it is pitiful.

There are very few cases where lack of corpses is an issue, and you'll encounter those cases earlier rather than later in the game (Duriel being the main one), as your skeletons get much tougher as you invest skill points into them and into skeleton mastery. In the case of Diablo, the real problem you'll run into most of the time is him insta-killing your mercenary when he does the flame attack (I usually keep a TP open so I can yank the merc away when I see Diablo raise his arms). Now for sure, you don't use Corpse Explosion on Act bosses - you basically just curse them down and your mercenary kills them. Summon Necromancer is slow at killing Act bosses - but good at killing most everything else, and, importantly, is not gear dependent and basically ignores every single form of Immune except those super-physical-immune + fire immune moon lords that occasionally pop up in Hell mode, who can't even have their phys immune broken by Amp Damage. And those are extremely rare, not in any good farming zone, and can just be run past. The only other issue the Necromancer runs into is that in the Maggot Lair and Arcane Sanctuary, the tight paths mean you need to get rid of your skeletons and just use your merc. The upcoming buff to Skeleton Mages might fix this, though, since they can shoot through teammates or across the gaps in the Sanctuary.

In multiplayer, your job is basically just boosting team survivability since enemies divert a lot of their attention to trying (and failing) to kill the Necromancer's many and ridiculously tanky skeletons instead of your teammates (plus Attract to further force them away from targeting your team).

Summon Necro is basically always my first choice in a new ladder season, mainly because of the no gear dependency thing, but also it's very fun and effective.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Does the skeletons actually get that powerful? I have seen their damage and HP gain on Normal, and it is pitiful.

Minions and bone wall/bone prison has increased hp in higher difficulties.

And you don't need to focus on minions. One of the greatest necro advantages is that their bone skills deals magical damage, not poison/fire/cold/electricity

http://tph.tuwien.ac.at/~gottwald/necro_pet_calculator.html

It's not in the calculator but also remember that you'll have -100% phys resist applied to enemies from amp damage or -50% from decrepify.

The thing with skeletons is that it often tends towards binary outcomes. Either your skeletons have excess enough HP to soak a number of hits each, regen quickly to full, constantly hit enemies and put them into hit stun, don't get hit stunned themselves, and quickly demolish enemies, or they kind of flounder and the reverse happens unless you can score a kill and then spam corpse explosion. Also they do scale off both difficulty and player level somewhat (character level also affects both their chance to hit and be hit I think, same way it does yours). In general you don't want to rush with a summon build, you want to be somewhat overleveled and overgeared for content even if that means playing easier areas on players 8 rather than harder areas on players 1.

There's also always revives which is just raising the same monsters you killed. It obviously scales directly with the difficulty of what you face, though revives tend to be obnoxious to manage due to crappy AI and their damage output is generally meh.

Last edited:

NerevarineKing

Learned
Maybe I'm just lucky, but I just have D2 on WinXP compability and have had little to no issues on Win 10. I'll look at at wrapper though since it would probably work better. D1 thankfully has a GOG version that will run the game for most people.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Are people still playing this game? Weird.

It's a great game, why wouldn't they? The loot grind is timeless, the itemization is still umatched in this genre, and the game has an overall great presentation. It's pure kino. And it also doesn't suffer from the speed clear aids that games like Path of Exile sadly introduced to the genre.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom