Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 2: Resurrected remaster

janior

Arcane
Patron
you could also try armor racks at some farming spot(those are not affected by your magic find)

Belias

Barely Literate
Do people here actually play the remaster or is everybody else still playing original LoD?

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
I finally tried this remaster and it was fine but online experience is quite shit. Think Im done with this for now graphs and stuff were good so it was better than I was expecting. I would have guessed that blizzard will not bother to add any new stuff besides graphs.

On the other hand I have been playing project diablo for 3 seasons now and it is great I dont really see a reason to play remaster when playing PD2 is an option. Next season starts 24.6

I finally tried this remaster and it was fine but online experience is quite shit. Think Im done with this for now graphs and stuff were good so it was better than I was expecting. I would have guessed that blizzard will not bother to add any new stuff besides graphs.

On the other hand I have been playing project diablo for 3 seasons now and it is great I dont really see a reason to play remaster when playing PD2 is an option. Next season starts 24.6

PD2 does interest me a lot, but the only people I know IRL who play D2 play Resurrected, and I haven't been able to convince them otherwise. I'm having enough fun with it-- the ladder experience is fun enough for me since I mostly played SSF when I was younger, and never even had access to Spirit or other ladder exclusive runewords.

The other thing that keeps me from pulling the trigger is that doesn't PD2 wipe your online characters whenever a new ladder starts? 'Demoting' them to non-ladder is one thing... deleting them entirely I don't know how I feel about.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
The other thing that keeps me from pulling the trigger is that doesn't PD2 wipe your online characters whenever a new ladder starts? 'Demoting' them to non-ladder is one thing... deleting them entirely I don't know how I feel about.

This will get changed in the next season so ladder chars move into non-ladder

Cerulean

Cipher
I also heard Hell Masoleum is a good place to get Monarchs specifically, but I don't know, I generally just stick to Cows if I'm trying to get bases.

Thanks for the advice. I believe I'll try the Mausoleum and Crypt for a while. A nice change of pace, easy to reach, Blood Raven is a trivial boss, there's no chance of getting swamped like on the Cow Level, and most importantly, unlike WSK... there's zero chance of getting a face full of lightning bolts that drop me to 30% health as soon I enter the place.

P.S. Did I mention how much I hate Black Souls? Because I hate Black Souls.

Cerulean

Cipher
Just to follow up, it finally dropped. Found my Monarch, had Larzuk add the sockets, and made it a Spirit. I'm mildly surprised that guides call this a "starter" shield, since it took so much work, and even had to burn a re-spec to meet the strength reqs... but twenty two years later, my D2 experience is complete. Everything from here on out is just random MF farming.

Just wanted to say thanks, Gents. :salute:

racofer

Thread Incliner
The last time I played D2 was back in 2004~2005. I know there were some patches after that that boosted the chance to find some of the rarest unique items/runes. I wonder, how does D2R compares to what I knew about D2?

Is it still nigh impossible to find the better items? There are times I think about playing it again but grinding for months to get better gear and engaging on trading all over again... ehh....

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
How's corpse explosion in PD2? They lowered the health % damage but added flat damage to it, and desecrate lets you make corpses out of thin air, so it seems like CE could be good like in vanilla. Curses seem to require more synergies to be effective in the mod so I'm not sure how well it would work with a CE+Desecrate build. Maybe dark pact could be used to complement corpse explosion for high res enemies? Putting points into revive for bonuses seems like a pain in the ass unless they made it good.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
How's corpse explosion in PD2? They lowered the health % damage but added flat damage to it, and desecrate lets you make corpses out of thin air, so it seems like CE could be good like in vanilla. Curses seem to require more synergies to be effective in the mod so I'm not sure how well it would work with a CE+Desecrate build. Maybe dark pact could be used to complement corpse explosion for high res enemies? Putting points into revive for bonuses seems like a pain in the ass unless they made it good.

CE has been good past few seasons can do pretty much all content except annihilus event. Next season patch notes comes 10.6 so cant say yet if some stuff gets changed. CE is a good starter since it can get by with bad gear unlike poison. For curse its amp and/or lower res depending on your gear + which areas you are farming. And since revive is a synergy for CE those should be your tanks and amp is also synergy for CE.

Dark pact might be very good next season since it is only going to take away 1 curse and keep other curses. But requires a lot of clicking but that goes for CE also. but for CE I would not bother.

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected

CE has been good past few seasons can do pretty much all content except annihilus event. Next season patch notes comes 10.6 so cant say yet if some stuff gets changed. CE is a good starter since it can get by with bad gear unlike poison. For curse its amp and/or lower res depending on your gear + which areas you are farming. And since revive is a synergy for CE those should be your tanks and amp is also synergy for CE.

Dark pact might be very good next season since it is only going to take away 1 curse and keep other curses. But requires a lot of clicking but that goes for CE also. but for CE I would not bother.
Very informative. Thanks breh

agris

Arcane
Patron
Grim Dawn is very good actually.

It has good game mechanics for an ARPG but the SFX and VFX quality is miles away from D2.

Grim Dawn also has mechanics bloat, IMO. I can take a break from my Diablo 2 character for a month and jump right back in and understand how my character is geared and what needs improvement. In Grim's Dawn case between the 8 different resistances and each item having a stat list 2 pages long it becomes just too much to remember and digest, at least for me personally.

Indeed. To this date there is not a single ARPG on the market that has better SFX and VFX than D2. Blizzard North were and still are the absolute kings in this department.

Anyone who disagrees with me has shit taste in aesthetics and I'm very sorry you feel that way.
Sorry, but you are wrong on this. Diablo 1 beats D2 in all ways except psychological addiction via Skinner-box design intended to maximize small scale dopamine drip-fed to the player.

D2 is too much game for its own good. D1 had superior art, sound, gameplay, quests and moment to moment experience. D2 is designed for no-lifers.

A procgen game intended to be played for 100s of hours (D2) will of course be more popular than one intended for 10s of hours (D1).

Yet quality is not quantity, one of the many reasons D1 excels past D2. D1 isn’t designed to extract anything from players other than enjoyment, and stands on its own without exploitative mechanics.

D2 fans are like fentanyl addicts. Some may recognize the addiction and mistakenly believe they have a handle on it, know how to tame the dragon. But they don’t. D2 is artistically barren next to D1.

agris Those are some good points, and I can't wholly disagree with them. D1 is definitely more focused and pure, but that doesn't mean D2 is just a slot-machine variant of it. While I prefer the D1 sorcerer to any of the classes in D2, the class and skill diversity of D2 adds a great deal to the table. Their efforts to improve the story bear fruit, and the plot and wonderful cinematics are engaging. The different acts bring new biomes, themes, and monster variety than have more breadth than the D1 descent. While D1 monsters were good, D2 has significant improvements. Even just adding the shaman to fallen hordes really mixes things up. The quest structures, while minimal, still add to the equation and at a minimum give pretext for good mini-boss fights. The QoL improvements, like RUNNING, are also great. D1 does have higher quality in terms of art, atmosphere, and cohesion--it's not leagues beyond D2 in those categories. D2 is a proper sequel in that it's the Original+, which all that anyone ever wants.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom