Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 2: Resurrected remaster

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
A hero needs to represent the peak of physical, intellectual and martial beauty.

Then why coomers focus on face then ?

Yeah, stupid coomers.
Alexander-the-Great-marble-bust-British-Museum.jpg

Faarbaute

Arbiter
If the face of the barbarian was literally that of hitler, you wouldnt shrug and say eh who will even notice its zoomed out after character creation anyway.

You would know and you would care.

Harthwain

Magister
Yes indeed, stupid coomers. Posting a sculpture, whose only function are visual aesthetics, in comparison to a face you'll see once, on a single screen, for all of 10 seconds.
"You see it only once, on a single screen, for 10 seconds" is not a good enough excuse for doing a bad job. I am of the opinion that if you're doing a remaster, then you should do it properly. In fact, most of these characters need work and it should be said loudly and clearly. At least enough so Activision realizes that they won't get by with cutting corners. Seriously, how stupid you have to be to excuse such laziness, especially when done by a rich corporation?

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
Some discord meme that was forced on the fourchains some time ago. Pretty much just schizos sperging over people enjoying the female form.

copebot

Learned
The old lady Amazon design would be fine for an NPC, but people expect the player character Amazon to be a babe because that's what she was in 1999. People are also hyper sensitive about these things because of the broader cultural trend towards worship of ugliness and the attempt to get away from thousands of years of 'golden ratio' aesthetics ruling the roost in western art. The Soviet Union was criticized by the West as being a place where the women all had to be dumpy and ugly, but the worship of dumpiness was never part of Soviet propaganda. It was just a consequence of inefficient and chaotic Soviet retail industry with bizarre Communist makeup and perfume shops that never have products in stock. The contemporary western left is sort of inverted -- the propaganda is pro-ugliness, and even though the economy is so efficient that no woman no matter how poor forgoes makeup, most people are fat & ugly due to overconsumption.

They want to get rid of beauty in art because the contrast between it and an increasingly ugly real world causes discomfort and undermines the cultural regime, but it's tough to get rid of all beauty all the time without also making the artistic product dreadfully unpopular. They can subsidize a gallery show consisting of jars of female piss, used tampons, and acid-stained underwear no problem, but they can't actually make people attend the gallery. Diablo 2 Remaster even being something that is being hyped up is because the culture was not creative enough to make something better than the 1999 original in the genre.

There are so many remakes going on in the culture because they can safely do them and no one wants to go see the "new" stuff about lesbian transgender black social workers fighting against white supremacy. By remaking things made in the Evil times, they get an excuse to use aesthetics, structure, and content that actually works. Otherwise they have to have a game with a lesbian/gay/tranny/feminist narrative and fat lady aesthetics. I think Diablo 3 was actually supposed to be a feminist girl power narrative (pretty sure it passes the Bechdel test because of all the girl villains) but it was written so badly that I don't think anyone really interpreted it that way.

Generic-Giant-Spider

There's not only one story on the internet about people whose hearts started racing during the Butcher fight in D1.

Butcher was cool and all, but I never got rattled by him like so many people claimed they did.

Archbishop Lazarus was scarier to me.

Perfect '90s mood setting FMV. Outside view of the church at night, the funeral bells tolling, cut to the inside where you see the guy you've heard so much about and had a direct cause in sending things to shit standing over an altar. Opens his eyes with demonic red pupils. All of this took less than twenty seconds to convey to the player that they were in some DEEP trouble.

Perkel

Arcane
WTF is a coomer?

Mostly weebs who plays games to fap or talk about games only if there is material to fap there. So if game doesn't have his fetish he doesn't play it. Kind of guy who would play Fallout 1 to fap to Tandi clay face and you would only see him talking about Fallout 1 in context of who is the best looking X.

IDK where this started but the first cases where with bioware games and there was that legendary retarded post where dude made chemical formula for Tali sweat...

Silverfish

Arbiter
I think Diablo 3 was actually supposed to be a feminist girl power narrative (pretty sure it passes the Bechdel test because of all the girl villains) but it was written so badly that I don't think anyone really interpreted it that way.

I never thought about it that way before, but you're onto something. Leah is indisputably the main character (D3 is Oblivion levels of "do you even need me here?"), and between her deep connection with the only canonical black dude in the game, the death of her father figure and transformation into a literal demon, her story ticks all the boxes.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Kind of guy who would play Fallout 1 to fap to Tandi clay face and you would only see him talking about Fallout 1 in context of who is the best looking X.

Disgusting to think that someone would do this in a post-Sunny Smiles world.

Perkel

Arcane
I think Diablo 3 was actually supposed to be a feminist girl power narrative (pretty sure it passes the Bechdel test because of all the girl villains) but it was written so badly that I don't think anyone really interpreted it that way.

Don't attribute malice when something can be easily explained by stupidity. D3 was made in time when woke wasn't even a word.

D3 was what it was because some of WOW devs wanted D3 to happen but naturally they couldn't make either good story or good systems. Which is why it was what it was. Wow action game. Same type of retarded story, visuals, characters etc.

I'll take it as a sign of incline though, that the only thing people are bitching about are some ugly character models in the character selection screen. If that's the worst of this remaster, we're doing well. I'd add that some of the sorceress spell effects look a bit thin and diminutive as well, but that's small potatoes. Overall, it looks pretty good. I am unlikely to purchase it for a variety of reasons, but I may when it's heavily discounted and I'm looking to slip into senility.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'll take it as a sign of incline though, that the only thing people are bitching about are some ugly character models in the character selection screen. If that's the worst of this remaster, we're doing well.
But it's purely a graphical remaster, and people are complaining about the most important thing: the characters you play.

I'd say that it's not "small potatoes" at all. People also have complained about other aspects, NPCs and effects and such, but none are as important as the characters.

Perkel

Arcane
I'll take it as a sign of incline though, that the only thing people are bitching about are some ugly character models in the character selection screen. If that's the worst of this remaster, we're doing well.
But it's purely a graphical remaster, and people are complaining about the most important thing: the characters you play.

I'd say that it's not "small potatoes" at all. People also have complained about other aspects, NPCs and effects and such, but none are as important as the characters.

1. You will be able to finally play D2 in 60fps. Original game runs at 24fps and it is stuttery mess. So yes it is huge upgrade to gameplay. Moreover there will be pad support added which is huge for me as ARPGs like D2 are best played on pad as you can have detached movement from targeting.
2. You get shared stash without need for plugy. No need for multiboxing etc if you don't run plugy
3. Sorry but 2 faces in character creation screen on which you spend maybe 5 seconds from 100s of hours isn't huge problem. Especially since there is nothing wrong with them.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Ooooh, are we getting close to talking about gameplay yet?

D2 needs a lot of rebalancing. If it's literally a 1:1 to the last D2 I played where creativity was pretty much dead and end game consisted of doing 20 Baal runs in a row, what's the point? Imagine programming skills into the game that go unused for twenty fucking years, get remastered, only to be left in the same state that made them worthless in the first place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom