Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 3 has gone full popamole.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Yes, Blizzard RTS games are polished. They're balanced, dynamic, strategic, and demanding. They're also traditional for more reasons than just nostalgia. They're traditional because that's better.
I'm sorry but the fact remains they simply re made SC1 with a graphics update and a couple of new units... They made this carbon copy with no imagination over a period of around 5 years? Then proceeded to make terrible SP campaigns and release each one at the price of a full game.

Zeriel

Arcane
Starcraft ceased to be relevant as a singleplayer game when its multiplayer took off so ridiculously. It's not exactly a surprise that SC2's singleplayer was given little thought. It's also pretty clear the entire game was built from the ground up around multiplayer and the competitive scene. If you're not part of or don't appreciate that scene, it's going to seem like shit to you. That doesn't make it objectively bad, though.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Starcraft ceased to be relevant as a singleplayer game when its multiplayer took off so ridiculously. It's not exactly a surprise that SC2's singleplayer was given little thought. It's also pretty clear the entire game was built from the ground up around multiplayer and the competitive scene. If you're not part of or don't appreciate that scene, it's going to seem like shit to you. That doesn't make it objectively bad, though.

Objection! I'd say that they actually put a lot of effort in singleplayer campaigns which is evidenced by the amount and technical quality of content. I swear this is the case of making the content dumb on purpose in order to appeal to the masses, as opposed to the outcome of insufficient focus.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
They made this carbon copy with no imagination over a period of around 5 years? Then proceeded to make terrible SP campaigns and release each one at the price of a full game.

I think that's the biggest problem with SC2. The fact that they're releasing them as three games that are worthless to anyone not interested in the SP campaigns, but which you're forced to upgrade to because everyone else is. If you don't care about SP, you're essentially paying $60 every few years to get a few new MP units. Sure, you can stick to playing vanilla SC2, but when everyone else is moving over to the new expansion it becomes less and less optional.

That's why I feel SC2 being split into three games is such a major dick move on Blizzard's part. At the very least they should have allowed owners of WoL to play against owners of HotS, except being unable to use the new units.

Zeriel

Arcane

Objection! I'd say that they actually put a lot of effort in singleplayer campaigns which is evidenced by the amount and technical quality of content. I swear this is the case of making the content dumb on purpose in order to appeal to the masses, as opposed to the outcome of insufficient focus.

Well, I was generalizing. I don't particularly enjoy the "mainstream" style they've perfected over the last few years in terms of their writing and storytelling, and some design decisions. I still really appreciate their technical perfection (which is what makes every Blizzard game feel so smooth and responsive), but that's about it.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
No way in fucking hell is Company of Heroes "much more advanced" than Starcraft 2. It's a different breed of game. It's played completely differently, and frankly, it's not as good.

The reason "traditional" RTSes are preferred by professionals is because of the freedom of expression and the skill cap for which they allow. There is so much you can do if you just have the skills. Two pros may be equally fast, equally brilliant, but they play differently because they're different people.

Yes, Blizzard RTS games are polished. They're balanced, dynamic, strategic, and demanding. They're also traditional for more reasons than just nostalgia. They're traditional because that's better.

It's ironic to rave about freedom of expression in the same post where you deride Company of Heroes and praise Starcraft 2.

Far as I can tell, Company of Heroes is less dependent on "quantity of units" than Starcraft 2 when it comes to winning a game, and that is a sign of superior depth. It is a sign of actual "strategy" being more on the forefront than mastering the build orders and efficient generation of new units.

Zeriel

Arcane
No way in fucking hell is Company of Heroes "much more advanced" than Starcraft 2. It's a different breed of game. It's played completely differently, and frankly, it's not as good.

The reason "traditional" RTSes are preferred by professionals is because of the freedom of expression and the skill cap for which they allow. There is so much you can do if you just have the skills. Two pros may be equally fast, equally brilliant, but they play differently because they're different people.

It's ironic to rave about freedom of expression in the same post where you deride Company of Heroes and praise Starcraft 2.

Far as I can tell, Company of Heroes is less dependent on "quantity of units" than Starcraft 2 when it comes to winning a game, and that is a sign of superior depth. It is a sign of actual "strategy" being more on the forefront than mastering the build orders and efficient generation of new units.

Starcraft has plenty of strategy. It just happens to be something that happens after you find out which player is quicker on the draw and better about fundamentals. I think this is one reason a lot of people like it--it has more to it than knowing what strategy to use. Being able to have perfect build order while controlling every unit well and have an overarching strategy for the match is a lot harder to master than any one of those things.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Starcraft has plenty of strategy. It just happens to be something that happens after you find out which player is quicker on the draw and better about fundamentals. I think this is one reason a lot of people like it--it has more to it than knowing what strategy to use. Being able to have perfect build order while controlling every unit well and have an overarching strategy for the match is a lot harder to master than any one of those things.

It's also harder to pull my own teeth than go to a dentist.

Once a player loses a notable portion of resources, he's essentially circling the drain, unless his opponent makes a really big mistake. This reliance on ADD-nightmare-micromanagement weakens the "strategy" element of the game severely.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Well, it's both "control" and "strategy". There's nothing ADD about it. It's physical alertness and ability.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
You know, for when you need your screen cluttered with crap.

Y5MlGJq.jpg

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Diablo 3 makes me so fucking angry. The fact that blizzard is one of the most succesfull game companies shows how terrible people are.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Is that an actual screenshot? Holy shit it's fugly on the console.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Diablo 3 makes me so fucking angry. The fact that blizzard is one of the most succesfull game companies shows how terrible people are.

Just because of Diablo 3?

Not just because of Diablo 3, but it is the height of their retardation so far.

Is that an actual screenshot? Holy shit it's fugly on the console.

It's ugly because it's made by Blizzard. Blizzard "artists" think that throwaway-comicbook style of art is good.

So MAJESTIC

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Yeah, but I mean in comparison to the PC version, the visuals look like something from the PS2 era.

Zeriel

Arcane
Do you guys actually play console games? Most of them look fucking terrible, Blizzard's blur-happy art style for D3 looked pretty awful on PC where we are used to higher standards, but it fits in just fine with consoles.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Do you guys actually play console games? Most of them look fucking terrible, Blizzard's blur-happy art style for D3 looked pretty awful on PC where we are used to higher standards, but it fits in just fine with consoles.

Sigh... It has nothing to do with graphics fidelity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom